Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

You can also have multiple INIs and use a shortcut to flip between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

So what's that, two more de-10 nanos required? One for the tate cab and one for a Multisystem setup? This fpga business is as expensive as OG hardware collecting 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I should have already known, it's MiSTer, there's literally nothing it can't do 😁

Not to mention all those extra bits needed for the multisystem.

Any idea when the next Euromillions is??

Master of the Universe

Edited the mister.ini OSD to Tate mode and....

For the love of god!haha

Some quick upside down screen reading and...

Sorted!

Text is a little hard to read like this, it's like the resolution is too high. Not a small screen too, it's 25 inches. You wouldn't be reading it on a 14 inch.

Seems to be a bit more readable once it loads up a core.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

You can change the font of the Menu too.

The downloader script should already have downloaded the fonts but more info here :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

New monitor bezels, and artwork for the marquee/instructions slips and control panels :)

Before:

After!

I have learned that I'm not very good at the trimming control panel artwork with a craft knife. Might have been easier if the control panel was steel rather than the alu/plexi combo sandwidge that it is. Sturdy but at the edges, a craft knife can end up trimming the alu. All in all, I think it looks a lot better.

On route for the cab on the right, another small MVS unit and a multi cart for some Pick'n'Mix fun as I'm not a fan of the PandoraBox thats in it.

Post edited by KeRbDoG on

Master of the Universe

Fecking deadly 😁

Absolutely love the 'DinoCity' name, should have been a real thing!

Yea, they do look smart :D I would love to say 'DinoCity' was my idea, but no :) saw it in the 'examples' from Barry at ArcadeArtRepro.com that someone else used.

Only one small issue with the bezels and some small particles trapped between the bezel plexi and the back mounted blue outline. Not the end of the world and when mounted not really noticable. If anyone was getting the same, I'd suggest to have the artwork for the control panel a few milimeters larger, but happy overall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Looks fantastic, I'll be right there!

Master of the Universe

Decided to start testing out a few PCBs with the intention of maybe selling a few.

First up was Mercs. I was absolutely gutted last year when this started throwing glitches. Looks like it was the PSU in the end! Running absolutely fine now.

Decided I must be on a lucky streak, next up was an original Raiden. Unfortunately this one boots, there's coin up sounds but only some garbled sprites. Boo! Don't think I've powered it on in about ten years and it's been through three house moves in the interim.

Check this out though, it's absolutely huge! That's a cps1 board under it which isn't exactly small.

Barely fit inside the cabinet. I'm not actually sure if you could close the front access panel with the harness attached. (That's Raiden 2 being dwarfed underneath)

Had a quick look at it and I can't see any damage, loads of socketed chips to pop out and reseat. Back in the attic it goes for now.

Next up was a Toaplan Fixeight. After the Raiden failure I was nervous trying this out.

Success!

Decides to leave it there and try to flog fixeight.

I reckon once that's sold I'll keep going through the rest.

• Advertisement

Master of the Universe

Yeah it's very similar to Outzone. Kind of cool that you can play it three player, not something you usually see with a vertical shooter.

Also has one of the worst cases of 'rip off a celebrities face for the character select screen'!

Just stumbled across a mailer from 2013 from Ronny/NL - reasonable prices compared to now for sure.

Sega Astro City - 545euro

Sega New Astro City - 595euro

With 175euro EU shipping

Master of the Universe

And the cabinets and all of their components were 10 years younger than they are now!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dav09

So this finally arrived to me, one of the most difficult machines I've ever had to ship, that's for sure. Not sure if anyone here ever played it but it's super fun and has Initial D3, can also be set up with F Zero AX.

Moving it around is an absolute nightmare! Had to dismantle the top actuator and was surprised it all seemed electrical/no hydraulics, it's more like a car than arcade machine, but really the tech seems to be built upon earlier DLX designes. What's good to also now know is that a lot of the parts seem to be still available too and we're generically manufactured, many off the shelf servomotor drivers and such, there's very little information available on this thing so has been a lot of experimentation so far with dismantling and such.

Hoping to have this, Afterburner DLX and the motion Outrun in operation some time next year together publicly all going well here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

Well that's just a little bit special isn't it, amazing. Fair play

Master of the Universe

Wow, really is some piece of machinery.

Any idea what it weighs actually?

Thanks folks!

1150KG just for the base unit, more than my car. Railings, door frame, ect I think add more or less an extra 200KG! I've been moving it on a pallet truck but it's some amount of work. Think I've finally lost the plot with buying this one haha.

Also, if you see the serial number, if they're sequential, then over 100 were made, at 30k a piece new (I can't find a solid price online but seems anywhere between 26k and 90k) that means at least 3-4mn was made from them, I'm actually surprised that many sold, more than likely most scrapped by now. Much more made than I thought.

Post edited by dav09 on

Master of the Universe

Christ! That's far heavier than I would have guessed 😲

So it's basically the equivalent of moving around almost 14 candy cabinets.

• Advertisement

Yup it is fairly crazy, a pallet truck does help but moving that on your own is a huge challenge!

It can lift people up to 120KG according to the manual so I suppose it has to be heavy, the movement is really extreme too, it was designed as a replacement for operators of the R360 (I'm actually surprised Afterburner Climax never came out on it) so I suppose it has to be.

I actually made a video on this exact cabinet last year as I expected it would be removed sooner or later when I travelled over to it in Blackpool just to play it as am a huge Initial D fan and to visit Arcade Club, little did I expect I'd own it a year on after I found it on UK FB Marketplace (after selling an absolute tone of cabs to afford it, on top of selling a load earlier in the year too for other reasons), it's crazy stuff although a shame it was removed from public operation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsJRpWZdz64

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

That cycraft is fairly unique. I'd be trying weird combinations like tetris and street fighter!

I think I'm down to the last couple of arcade game pcbs I want. I'll probably have to go fishing for these, but a splatterhouse and punisher would round it off if anyone has them :)

I'd add killer instinct one but it looks like that dual pcb is going to work.

Actually add final fight too

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Tony maybe consider the darksoft cps 1.5 multi as that would cover punisher and final fight. Cheaper than an original punisher.

Dave that is the most awesome get I've ever seen. You absolute mad man! Let us know when it's in the arcade.

I'd heard of the cps multi, but having a look at it now and it's price...

I didn't mind the m72 board cos I had the originals to begin but they may have jumped the shark at 700 odd for cps!

Still cheaper than original but not by much :/

It's a pity it isn't a puzzle bobble cartridge I'm missing at like 30 quid

Appreciate heads up though:)

Master of the Universe

Didn't realise the Darksoft kit was so pricey! For that amount you could build a MiSTercade. The Punisher arcade core runs absolutely brilliantly.

Always regretted not picking up an original PCB of that years and years ago. Had plenty of opportunities to as well. Going for mad money now.

Just crazy prices all round :/

I remember throwing a wobbler about punisher at like 250 euro. Little did I know at the time!

Also thought of two more games to round it out, two crude dudes and sly spy. I remember going into this tiny arcade that opened up and was all excited to play some of the games but it was packed and everyone else was much older and therefore taller, the best I could do was catch glimpses of the games, one being two crude. After a long long time I gave up and left with a broken spirit. That little arcade was open for less than a month I'd say, weird.

So, 5 games left to rule them all. That should be nigh on every game I remember in Arcades (that I can afford or have equipment to run!) I'll probably end up selling some stuff or trading to finish it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

It was 650 on saveyourgames last year when I got it. Lucked out and got an original qsound chip even though I was not on the original preorder list.

There was even a guy in Turkey making repro forgotten worlds spinners at the time and I had to get a pair to complete it.

It's the original iconic cps1(.5) You need that multi

Master of the Universe

How's the general health of your PCB collection? I went through a bit of a phase a couple of years ago where it felt like every time I plugged a game in something went wrong with it. Recently happened yet again with my Raiden board the other day. It's annoying as I've bought them all working over the years so they've gone bad under my watch!

Definitely erring towards selling most of them now, bar a few of my favourites. Feels like an attic full of expensive ticking time bombs! Also really heart breaking to boot one up only to have it not work, really takes the fun out of it.

650? Wowza. Are both the original batteries still going or has it been de-suicided?

I've no CPS 1.5 games but one of the few CPS1 games with a suicide battery, King of Dragons. Actually bought it suicided years ago and The Last Bandit here brought it back to life for me.

I'd say I've been very lucky so far. I have a couple games that have had a problem since day 1 (double dragon 2 comes to mind, some problem with sound samples repeating), but the only one that actually developed a problem since I've had it is Salamander, went a bit glitchy but I had that repaired, think it was a ttl or something.

I have that t48 programmer now so I'll have to start using it more, and at some point I'll actually learn to solder properly!

It's at the back of my mind to replace cps2 batteries soonish, mozie did some for me in like 2018? I think.

• Advertisement

Folks with CPS2 - is there a 'keep it original' community which people keep the battery, original ROMs etc. in place or are folks burning non-encrypted ROMs or using Infinikey-CPS2 solutions? Infinikey looks great btw. Just pop on orignal PCB, solder the jumper/gameselect pads and boom, done.

Advertisement