Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The 6 in 1 Pony took another step forward today, I received a high quality extension harness in the post.

So right now we have Ibara, a 60 in 1 vertical classics and now the GNET in at the flick of a switch.

Really tight squeeze, the PSU needs to be moved over to the right more.

2013-11-27232953_zps32e73fa0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Any issues with you monitor settings needing tweaking (not twerking) when you switch JAMMA boards? Needing resizing and the like?

Master of the Universe

Unfortunately it doesn't really do anything in that regard - it just acts as a switch between boards. So if your game board normally needs tweaking (or twerking!) then it still will.

The trick is to put in boards with similar video outputs. Most seem to fall under the same size/position. (maybe a few mm in difference) - depends how much that bothers you really :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Sure it wouldn't be the same if you didn't have to tweak the settings everytime you swapped games. All part of the 'fun' of cab ownership. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Sure it wouldn't be the same if you didn't have to tweak the settings everytime you swapped games. All part of the 'fun' of cab ownership. :pac:

True that - anyone wanna buy a Naomi cab? :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Tried moving the PSU, but with the coin box there really isn't very much room at all! :(

Still, managed to get it a bit further away from the PCBs. (you can see the two screw holes on the floor where it previously was)

2013-12-01172552_zps2767d515.jpg

Ideally I'd like to mount a PCB under the GNET (Raiden 2), have the GNET on longer legs, mount Mercs to the back wall and then stick a couple of Cave PCBs in the remaining two slots if I ever get any more.

Master of the Universe

Cools on AO posted this - stroke of genius space use wise, so I'm going to give something similar a go.

6892293041_2997e9dbcd_b.jpg

Bought some PCB stand off pillars like in that pic.

Going to mount Raiden II straight to the MDF board and then the PCB holder over it via the pillars. (kind of the reverse to what cools has in the above pic - I want to be able to access the PCB holder)

Anybody got a jamma finger board they could sell me?
    shipping from uk is silly for one :(

urbanledge wrote: »
    Anybody got a jamma finger board they could sell me?
    shipping from uk is silly for one :(

Pretty sure I have one you can have for nowt. Actually, I was meaning to PM you about some welding advice so that could be payment instead. :pac:

I'll make sure I have one at lunchtime and PM you.

sound!

• Advertisement

Happened to be looking in my Imgur folder and spotted a pic of the AWSD marquee bulb. Ciderman, I think you were asking about this recently? Anyway here's the pic showing the width you need (have a feeling it's standard). I think the 20 in FL20SD stands for the wattage.

K42FQSN.jpg

Master of the Universe

Came across a great SNK promo video from the early 90s. Worth checking out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thanks Andrew, but it's the lengths of those tubes that are non-standard, I can find the appropriate end contact widths alright, but the tubes are always 590/600mm, and having tried one of those I nearly broke the fitting.
    I will either import one or plumb in a set of led lights into the marquee with 12v drawn from the cab PSU....

On a related note, no word from the guy on Jamma+ about the replica control panels, I thought for sure they'd be ready to ship before Jebusday.

Master of the Universe

Looks like they have that size on Neo Legend for a tenner.

http://www.leshoparcade.com/produit-67-45-Accessories-Neon%20lights

Master of the Universe

Now this one is rather special. Some of you may remember I picked up a dead King of Dragons PCB from Mitch a few months back.

I played the hell out of this game in a Bray arcade when I was a kid and is a grail GET! I've been on the lookout for, but unfortunately it has a suicide battery.

CPS1 boards don't generally have suicide batteries, so people tend to think they're dead - its a very hard board to get. Let alone one that's working.

With a bit of hocus pocus from The Last Bandit;

Boom!

2013-12-03193646_zps21bd76cf.jpg

Thanks also to Cathaldublin who helped with burning the eproms (damn dodgy chip!)

Still can't believe I have a working board... might give it to the missus to wrap up for me for Christmas :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Very cool, do you have to replace all the program roms to revive a suicided CPS1 board? Or just a specific one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Also, how on earth does P1 have no credits but P2 & P3 have? :D

Master of the Universe

That's really weird with the coins, I didn't notice! I thought it was like Mercs where you have three separate coin slots.

To insert a coin I pressed the coin up test button on the cab. It must coin up all players with one credit?

To desuicide this particular board, you need to rewrite four eproms. But you also need to do some work on the C board (not sure if you remember your SF2 CPS1 boards, but there's a little mini C board on top of the B board)

You've to remove the battery and ground a pin on (what I think is) a processor. Little bit more complicated than a CPS2 phoenix which I think is literally just rewriting some roms.

Interesting thing - the guy who sorted the phoenix roms for CPS1 boards has them up on http://www.arcadecollecting.com/dead/ for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Had to change 4 ROMs on it, reprogram 3 and replace I eprom entirely. Details of the mod and roms are all here.

Master of the Universe

...and replace I eprom entirely...

Football Champ, you finally served a purpose :D

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Oh for the love of...

Was about to 1cc the above mentioned game, all 16 stages. It ain't short!

Got to the last boss with 1 extend, thought I had it in the bag. Nope! He was almost dead so I got sloppy, jumped the wrong way - roasted by a dragon!

Game over.

Oh well, will give it another go tomorrow. Not the hardest game in the world, but a hell of a lot of fun. All side scrolling beat em ups should have leveling up!

Edit - by the way, I'd completely forgotten how amazing the soundtrack is. Googled the composer - Yoko Shimomura. Of course it was :D

Master of the Universe

Apologies in advance, but this post is going to be picture heavy :D

Got those PCB spacers in the post and went with the above plan.

Firstly, finding Raiden II a permanent home - screwed to the board.

2013-12-05210115_zps7a7ed09e.jpg

Here they are, lovely PCB spacers. I couldn't stop singing 'Legs' by ZZ Top while attaching them to the PCB holder :D

2013-12-05210345_zpsebe04930.jpg

Looks like a good fit! screwed into place.

2013-12-05210337_zpsb90f78ba.jpg

Test it with a GNET on top... looks good so far...

2013-12-05212143_zps9a009a2c.jpg

And it withstands the vertical test! hurrah! Now to get this baby inside the cab.

2013-12-05212149_zps18d40d8e.jpg

At this point I ran into a big snag. It wouldn't fit. Was having one of those awful 'why the hell didn't I assemble it all INSIDE the cabinet?!' moments.

With a bit of wiggling, somehow it managed to just about squeeze in sideways. Almost had a heart attack trying to reposition it inside - had an awful feeling something was going to snag and it would be bye bye Pony chassis.

Managed to get it into place in the end! All really secure.

2013-12-05212700_zps8bf6a6fc.jpg

Moment of truth... will the GNET fit while also fitting the 6 board switcher?

And it does! :D

2013-12-05212822_zps5cb9f32f.jpg

All wired up. This was a bit of a bloody nightmare too due to that headphone jack thingy.

2013-12-05213553_zps54b895c3.jpg

RAIDEN II!

2013-12-05213523_zpsca1a4353.jpg

WOW!

IBARA!

2013-12-05213801_zpscc9ff33a.jpg

60 IN 1!

MUCH REWARD!

2013-12-05213643_zps8ae4423d.jpg

GNET....?

Where the feck is the GNET???

Ah right, I'm waiting for another extension harness. Thank fook, the fright! :eek:

Feckin delighted with this so far anyway. I've two new extension harnesses coming, so I may just fit another PCB in there somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Looks sweet o1s1n :)

Do you think you might need a fan inside to move the air a bit?

Master of the Universe

Hmmm, didn't think of that!

I reckon it should be okay, the 6 in 1 powers each board one at a time, so they won't all be generating heat at once.

You'll only have one game PCB and the 6 in 1 multi switcher thing powered on at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    Hmmm, didn't think of that!

I reckon it should be okay, the 6 in 1 powers each board one at a time, so they won't all be generating heat at once.

You'll only have one game PCB and the 6 in 1 multi switcher thing powered on at once.

Yeah, I get the idea of it. But with all that stuff in there will it not completely change the airflow? Maybe its not as important with a candy as they conduct a lot of the heat out with the metal body etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Great job !! Just don't lose the remote :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Nice job dude. Have a link for those pcb spacers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is the white balance on auto there O1s?
    Or are you going for different ambience with each title??

Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    Yeah, I get the idea of it. But with all that stuff in there will it not completely change the airflow? Maybe its not as important with a candy as they conduct a lot of the heat out with the metal body etc.

The metal body is seriously cold. I think it should work as a passive cooler. There's also quite a bit of venting around the back too.

Just to be safe though I think I'll take a temperature reading with the door closed/everything on for a few hours. Better to be safe.
    Great job !! Just don't lose the remote :)

Hah! Yeah, I think I might tape it to the bottom of the control panel just in case!!!
    Nice job dude. Have a link for those pcb spacers?

Here you go;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350830279111?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

You can get longer ones, however I went with the small ones instead as you can chain them together. So it allows you to adjust the height a lot more. The ones in my photos are just two separators high. Gives about the right amount of clearance for a 1 board PCB with legs on it.

You can get them far cheaper (and in more bulk) from Chinese sellers on ebay. I just wanted them in a hurry so went with a UK seller.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is the white balance on auto there O1s?
    Or are you going for different ambience with each title??

Dodgy phone camera doesn't know wtf to make of the gold wallpaper :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

Nice stuff again o1s1n !!

Does your Raiden II still save the high scores ?

My DX didn't so I removed the battery before it started to leak , crazy thing is that you cant exchange it for a new one once it has died as it works as a suicide battery and kills off the saving part somehow .

Advertisement