Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Not cheap, but would be worth the investment if you've the space in your cab for 8boards and something to neatly mount them all on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

how do you switch games here though, on the board? think i prefer the remote than having to open up the cab.. unless im missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

keithgeo wrote: »
    how do you switch games here though, on the board? think i prefer the remote than having to open up the cab.. unless im missing something?
    See the 2 pins beside the button, you run them to a push switch anywhere on your cab

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah, on that one you can just have one selector switch as it powers up all the PCBs simultaneously. So you can switch between them with one button.

With my one, when you select a game it powers up just that one PCB. So you need to select the PCB directly rather than cycling through (as cycling through would mean each board powering on and then off)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not cheap, but would be worth the investment if you've the space in your cab for 8boards and something to neatly mount them all on

Ah in the real world what sort of cab can house 8 game boards? Plus the 8 switchboards and their cables to go along with them, and the 2 PC power supplies it recommends. Sounds like an almighty mess, at least a couple of hundred quid for the privilege too.

Not sure why anyone would need to house anywhere near that number of PCBs in a cab at the same time anyway. :confused:

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    I genuinely thought Keithgeo had been killed, it all happened in slow motion! Of all the cabs to come down on top of you, this thing is just a dead weight. Be class to see it turned back into MK again, make sure you document the process dude :)

Yeh cant wait to get stuck into it after christmas. I have to track down a Mortal Kombat 2 board set though aswell!

I thought i got away with that cab falling on me, but my two arms and my left leg are killing me since Sunday haha, i didnt think it hurt me when it fell to be honest, all i could do was laugh haha.

There is a load of room in that cab, you could live in the back of it haha, i couldnt believe how big it is inside, you could easily fit in one of those 6 pcb switcher things into this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeh cant wait to get stuck into it after christmas. I have to track down a Mortal Kombat 2 board set though aswell!

I thought i got away with that cab falling on me, but my two arms and my left leg are killing me since Sunday haha, i didnt think it hurt me when it fell to be honest, all i could do was laugh haha.

There is a load of room in that cab, you could live in the back of it haha, i couldnt believe how big it is inside, you could easily fit in one of those 6 pcb switcher things into this..

Jeez I hope it's only bumps & bruises man, that could have ended much worse, I could just see the headlines "Arcade enthusiast meets maker" :eek: I've a few sore spots myself actually...still, it could be worse, think of the poor decking duck :p

Yeah it's an absolute monster of a cab, you literally could get inside it if you wanted. Are the MK2 boards hard to come by?

Jeez I hope it's only bumps & bruises man, that could have ended much worse, I could just see the headlines "Arcade enthusiast meets maker" :eek: I've a few sore spots myself actually...still, it could be worse, think of the poor decking duck :p

Yeah it's an absolute monster of a cab, you literally could get inside it if you wanted. Are the MK2 boards hard to come by?

I forgot about the duck, sorry again about that!

I had a quick look on ebay and cant see one, it seems to come in two boards, the game board and a sound board, there is one on adverts i commented on it about two weeks ago but the guy hasnt been online since. Ill get one eventually id say. Trying to figure out the cpo on it, its definatly a different shape there than a MK2 cab, but thats the only difference and its nothing big, just means the red tmolding will go around it instead of over. id say ill have to get a new cpo made up, because it will be impossible to switch back to old buttons without having to fill in the other holes somehow or use plexi over it which i dont want to do.

I forgot about the duck, sorry again about that!

Ha jeez don't worry about that, nothing a bit o' glue won't sort out. Just glad it wasn't your head I had to glue back on :D
    I had a quick look on ebay and cant see one, it seems to come in two boards, the game board and a sound board, there is one on adverts i commented on it about two weeks ago but the guy hasnt been online since. Ill get one eventually id say. Trying to figure out the cpo on it, its definatly a different shape there than a MK2 cab, but thats the only difference and its nothing big, just means the red tmolding will go around it instead of over. id say ill have to get a new cpo made up, because it will be impossible to switch back to old buttons without having to fill in the other holes somehow or use plexi over it which i dont want to do.

Yeah as I was saying to you I'm not overly sure about that cp being the original one. It has a lot of extra holes on the underside, & isn't even hinged/fixed onto the cab itself. And the "MK0000xx" serial number on the back of the cab suggests to me it was a MK cab when it was born, so that cp can't be entirely right...

it does have the right buttons though, and also whats throwing me is that when you lift off that panel, i expected to see a channel routed for tmolding on the sides, but it doesnt have that, it ends at the bottom of the monitor and starts again on the front on each side, so im starting to think that might be the original cpo, if it wasnt it would have had that routing for tmolding. anyways, i cant wait to get started on it, should look well when finished.

• Advertisement

it does have the right buttons though, and also whats throwing me is that when you lift off that panel, i expected to see a channel routed for tmolding on the sides, but it doesnt have that, it ends at the bottom of the monitor and starts again on the front on each side, so im starting to think that might be the original cpo, if it wasnt it would have had that routing for tmolding. anyways, i cant wait to get started on it, should look well when finished.

If you got a smaller cp, could you get a router & continue on the routing along the side so that the tmoulding will run as it should? Yeah strange that, I never thought of tmoulding. Could it have been another Midway game maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Mortal Kombat boards are rare to come by alright. Really a game of patience and keeping your eyes peeled.

The ones that come up on ebay are generally very expensive. The yanks are mad into their MK so a US forum like arcade museums is your best bet. Have to take a gamble on customs though.

I got an MK1 soundboard from the US with no hassle from customs.

If you got a smaller cp, could you get a router & continue on the routing along the side so that the tmoulding will run as it should? Yeah strange that, I never thought of tmoulding. Could it have been another Midway game maybe?

I initially was thinking of doing that, but it wont work either because the front part is the same level as the sides, so if i route along there thats grand for the side tmolding, then put in a smaller top panel cpo, the red tmolding on the front will have no where to go. I think im going to just go with whats on it because i can put tmolding all the way around that anyways. I might have to get the panel reproduced though so i can go back to the 5 button layout without having to use plexi on top, should be grand to do that though.
    Mortal Kombat boards are rare to come by alright. Really a game of patience and keeping your eyes peeled.

The ones that come up on ebay are generally very expensive. The yanks are mad into their MK so a US forum like arcade museums is your best bet. Have to take a gamble on customs though.

I got an MK1 soundboard from the US with no hassle from customs.

Yeh ive seen a few now and they seem to go for about 100-150 with delivery for the game and sound board, ill keep my eyes open and try to pick one up after christmas. I notice you can get modded chips that let you play as the hidden characters too..

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

How many MK2 boards do you want?

How many MK2 boards do you want?

haha one working one and a sound board, have you got some?

Master of the Universe

Damn it, really wanted to get a Bob Roberts extension harness. They're apparently very high quality.

Came to €40 after postage, which is pricey enough, but worth it I reckon. They got back to me with the methods of payment

https://www.auctionchex.com/
    Method: USD by Mail
    Or you can remit an international money order
    Or USD at your risk

You get so used to using Paypal that all other forms of payment seem like such a pain in the arse. Think I'll give it a miss so.

Surely you could make 2 or 3 of your own for that price?
    bit of work but not much!!

Master of the Universe

I've only ever soldered a couple of harness pins in my time. Wouldn't have the patience/ability to do a whole harness. Would probably burn myself to death long before it was ever finished :D

Master of the Universe

By the way, does anyone know much about chassis remote boards?

I'm going a bit mad not having one on the SNK cab. Was looking at a load of photos I took when putting the cap kit together (trying to see if there's a connection for a missing remote board) and noticed that the main pot board on the back is just screwed on. (Bottom middle of the pic)

I wonder if I undid those screws, would that board stretch forward enough to come out under the CP? (it's a very short distance)

Maybe that's actually what it's meant to do?

IMG_0352.jpg

just finished "rejigging" a panel for that silver line my mate got.
    No pics before but it was 3 buttons in a triangle and P1 and P2 start buttons ontop of each other between the sticks.
    fairly ****ty layout.

so i cut out the crap,moved the p2 stick over a fraction and welded in blank steel where the buttons go.
    then drilled them out and isoponed the gaps.Its actually flat but the light makes it look uneven.
    I just learned to weld so i did a ****ty job but thats on the back so it dont matter!
    also the P2 button 3 ended up right on the edge of the welded plate so the corner broke off.
    button and vinyl should hide this hopefully.
    Hes getting some sort of vinyl or art im not sure.
    Its just gotta be covered and populated and should look the biz.

IMAG0244.jpg

the ugly side

IMAG0245.jpg

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Fair play man, that's some hard core modifying right there :)

Its easy when you have the tools.
    4" angle grinder
    mig welder
    band saw
    4" orbital sander
    isopon

I would of done a better job if I wasnt hiding it from the boss ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

It looks like it has some cable to allow you to remove it. Wonder if there are any pin connections behind it?

If there is just that wiring, worst case you can get replacement harness to give you more length. Cheapo option, cut and extend the wiring thats there :)
    o1s1n wrote: »
    By the way, does anyone know much about chassis remote boards?

I'm going a bit mad not having one on the SNK cab. Was looking at a load of photos I took when putting the cap kit together (trying to see if there's a connection for a missing remote board) and noticed that the main pot board on the back is just screwed on. (Bottom middle of the pic)

I wonder if I undid those screws, would that board stretch forward enough to come out under the CP? (it's a very short distance)

Maybe that's actually what it's meant to do?

From memory o1s1n there's not that much reach on the cables that are there. I had to remove that board when doing the cap changes. It does disconnect though

Master of the Universe

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    It looks like it has some cable to allow you to remove it. Wonder if there are any pin connections behind it?

If there is just that wiring, worst case you can get replacement harness to give you more length. Cheapo option, cut and extend the wiring thats there :)

Yeah I'd say there are pin connections there Myrddin was able to disconnect it. So I may be able to get corresponding connections and put a cable extender type thing in between the pot board and the chassis.

I was thinking there might be another connection on the chassis for a remote board though. Seems a bit weird that it wouldn't have one. Other slight variations of this Toei chassis do. But then if there is, I'd face the issue of locating one!
    From memory o1s1n there's not that much reach on the cables that are there. I had to remove that board when doing the cap changes. It does disconnect though

Cheers! I was hoping you'd have some recollection of taking it apart :)

So probably not much give to extend it with what's there. I'll have to climb in and take a look. Even if it would extend from around the back to underneath the monitor I'd be able to make adjustments via the front access panel rather than having to move the whole cab out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

o1s1n wrote: »
    Damn it, really wanted to get a Bob Roberts extension harness. They're apparently very high quality.

Came to €40 after postage, which is pricey enough, but worth it I reckon. They got back to me with the methods of payment

https://www.auctionchex.com/
    Method: USD by Mail
    Or you can remit an international money ordered
    Or USD at your risk

You get so used to using Paypal that all other forms of payment seem like such a pain in the arse. Think I'll give it a miss so.

I ordered from bob before. Think I used auction chex. It lets you make payment in euro to an eu bank account. Can do it through internet banking and theres no charge as its euro.

Have you queried an extension eith FrancoB. He defo makes them

Heres a pic of that CP before i hacked it up.
    Screenshot_2013-11-05-14-06-11.png

And a pic of it covered in original "leather"
    most of the leather was ripped off so it was just metal.
    He got a new monitor surround made too as the original was bust.
    Going to be a tidy little cab when its finished.getting a rewire and all.It's not jamma wired at the moment either

photo.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Looks like it's gonna turn into a great little cab.great job on the control panel.
    your mate is a lucky man with you as a buddy with skills like that.

Would you not think of extending that control panel a meter or two more though, add some more buttons(maybe flashing LEDS) three trackballs,four flight sticks,a steering wheel, six pedals and a double edge dildo.Ohh and a marquee with URBANS ARCADE on it:)

Master of the Universe

Your control panel isn't big enough if you don't have to put your clock forward an hour when using the player 2 controls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Haaa quality.
    On a serious note would you think of turning it into a dedicated NZ story Cab..if there is such a thing,i've never seen one.
    Would be quality..
    mmmmm actually a woodie with just 3 boards and jamma board switcher, nz story ,rainbow islands and bubble bobble.

Advertisement