Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So my guy in the UK is sending me a pedastil kit for my bartop in order to turn it into a full sized unit.

He's also going to do a really good deal on artwork and a new marquee for me (my existing marquee is awful).

Anyway... for those of you more experience than I... this is on my todo list with the unit now:

Complete rewire of CP to be JAMMA based so that everything including monitor can be connected to a JAMMA harness.

Get a two port JAMMA switcher with remote. I'd love to be able to run a Tekken Tag Tournament PCB in the unit.

Modify base of pedastil so that it's more like a traditional arcade unit (probably won't make much sense without pictures).

Modify front of pedastil to allow for coin mech and drop installation.

Now here's the tricky bit. I'd like the PCB and the PC's Mobo to be powered from the one power supply. Is this possible? If so... how?

If I can get the measurments right I'd also like to replace the LCD with a CRT, perhaps a 14". I want that old school scanline look. For cost purposes I'd be going with a CRT tv but I hear that it's easy enough to force these to display an arcade accurate picture.

Thanks dudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,558 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Balls, just missed out on something over on AO that I would have loved. A Raiden II pop. I've never seen these before, do want! :)

005_zps6147dc80.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

289061.jpg
    ..did a bit of work on the cab .That's an old TV wallmounted over it that , running as a second monitor, automatically displays marquees for whatever is running in mame .(added a discrete USB port to the side of the cab to add 2 more arcade sticks for 4 player stuff).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Re: Raiden POP.

That's pretty cool alright, bit hard to spot on time being in a thread called MVS Art though. There must be an awful lot of folk out there just refreshing AO and Shmups all day, some items are snapped up mental quick. Or maybe you're able to get alerts when a page changes.

Master of the Universe

I havent managed to get anything decent over there in ages - good stuff does indeed vanish instantly.

There must be a way of subscribing to the sales forum. Will look into that this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Achilles wrote: »
    Complete rewire of CP to be JAMMA based so that everything including monitor can be connected to a JAMMA harness.

My mind is gone completely blank re the setup, but can you run an lcd off of jamma?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Need an upscaler to bump the freq to 31KHz, sounds like a lot of modding when selling the bartop and buying a woodie would make more sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That looks very nice Bob, very nice indeed, well done!

Myrddin wrote: »
    My mind is gone completely blank re the setup, but can you run an lcd off of jamma?

With a CGA > VGA scaler I think it can!

Need an upscaler to bump the freq to 31KHz, sounds like a lot of modding when selling the bartop and buying a woodie would make more sense.

This is my bartop. There are many like it but this one is mine.

• Advertisement

With a CGA > VGA scaler I think it can!

Yep that would work alright. But you also mention you might go the CRT route?

Reading over all the things you're hoping to do - would it not be easier to just save up for a woodie cab? Proper CRT + Jamma enabled straight away, you can then have pcb's and your PC for mame. Afaik there are mid size ones out there that wouldn't take up as much space as a Goliath for example.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Yep that would work alright. But you also mention you might go the CRT route?

Reading over all the things you're hoping to do - would it not be easier to just save up for a woodie cab? Proper CRT + Jamma enabled straight away, you can then have pcb's and your PC for mame. Afaik there are mid size ones out there that wouldn't take up as much space as a Goliath for example.

I'd rather build it for the experience to be honest with you.

I also had the idea of getting a capacitive overlay for a CRT screen earlier so that I could play touch based quiz games like the JPM Who Wants To Be A Millionaire games that I used to love as a kid.

I more than likely won't put a CRT in it as I doubt it would fit... although it would be nice as I'd have proper scanlines.

Anyway the upscalers don't seem that expensive:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/RGB-CGA-EGA-YUV-TO-VGA-converter-for-Arcade-Games-etc-/120967807566?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2a3e424e

Just trying to figure out a way to reliably be able to switch between the PC and the Jamma PCB.

Is there any way to run a PCB and a PC off of the one power supply? Some kind of splitter perhaps?

Master of the Universe

I ran jamma PCBs for a bit via one of those scalers, a supergun and through an SLG3000 on an LCD. Should have a pic somewhere...

Here you go.

IMG_0426_zpsa09f55d4.jpg

IMG_0424_zps4f606862.jpg
    It worked and was interesting from a technical standpoint, but wasn't really

that satisfying to play!

Master of the Universe

To have a PC in there, you'd just need a VGA switcher box at the point where the video signal goes to the LCD. Easy peasy :)

o1s1n wrote: »
    It worked and was interesting from a technical standpoint, but wasn't really

that satisfying to play!

Why wasn't it satisfying to play? Also if I put a CRT in the bartop instead of it's existing LCD I wouldn't need an SLG-3000, would I?

Master of the Universe

It was more the exercise of putting it together if you get me? Once I had that done, I was just left with a big, ugly video chain that would barely fit into a drawer :D

Plus I really am not big on playing classic games on an LCD. It didn't have any of those fancy MAME crt emulation effects like your bartop.

If you put a CRT in there and got jamma boards running you'd be going one step beyond emulation into the real deal.

You could do what I did and get a vogatek supergun and a scaler with a jamma adapter. All you need to get that to work. Does work out pricey though.

Master of the Universe

Found the AO forum subscribe button, hidden down the bottom!

sub_zps5a7d6bc5.jpg

No more missed bargains :D

I'd rather build it for the experience to be honest with you.

That's fair enough, it's your gig. You would still have plenty of hands on work to do with a woodie - cp wiring, jpac your mame pc, auto power on, fix anything not working etc. I haven't known anyone who's bought a cab (woodie or candy) that hasn't had buckets of work to do after. :)

That looks like the same one I used when I had the supergun hooked up to the Dell CRT monitor, works fine.
    Just trying to figure out a way to reliably be able to switch between the PC and the Jamma PCB.

Presume you're going to need a supergun to run the PCBs? And maybe an audio/video switch box to change input sources? I used a switch box when I had a mame pc + xbox360 inside my cab. Two VGA & phono in, one vga & phono out. Had a cable + button to switch bewteen them. Worked perfect.
    Is there any way to run a PCB and a PC off of the one power supply? Some kind of splitter perhaps?

I'm sure there is but don't have any experience there, always had separate power supplies but it was still a case of one switch on the wall - the PC auto-booted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

yeh myself and unky chop chop where after ones similiar to that, thats the wrong type though, seen them ones, the wire is on the wrong side and the earth connecter on it is in the wrong place, we needed it on the end not the side.

• Advertisement

keithgeo wrote: »
    yeh myself and unky chop chop where after ones similiar to that, thats the wrong type though, seen them ones, the wire is on the wrong side and the earth connecter on it is in the wrong place, we needed it on the end not the side.

Ohh. Ahh well! :P

Anybody know a good place to get a decently prices coin door with mech?

I bought the mech for my cocktail table here,

http://www.swallowam.co.uk/

not sure if they do doors, have a look.

keithgeo wrote: »

Like this?

http://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=COINSWPB

I had forgotten about arcadeshop.de
    ended up making a small order :rolleyes:
    I was looking for the right C14 socket for the DK everywher and they have a good one.postage not to bad either

http://www.arcadeshop.de/Power-Supply-Plug-with-filter_386.html

That looks more like it, except i think the metal bar is pointing the wrong way. the coin mech has a specific groove in it and the switch can only go in one way, and the way it goes in would mean that bar is pointing the wrong direction so a dropped in coin wouldnt activated it. thats the closest one ive seen to it though!

urbanledge wrote: »
    I had forgotten about arcadeshop.de
    ended up making a small order :rolleyes:
    I was looking for the right C14 socket for the DK everywher and they have a good one.postage not to bad either

http://www.arcadeshop.de/Power-Supply-Plug-with-filter_386.html

How do you wire those up? I initially wanted one of those for my own cab.

How do you wire those up? I initially wanted one of those for my own cab.

Just spade connectors I believe.

urbanledge wrote: »
    Just spade connectors I believe.
    I have a two gang plug in mine, so if I stripped back the plug and crimped spade connectors to it that'd work?

Yeah that'd be perfect.
    I think Im going to have the socket itsself recessed back into a 50mm hole.
    like in the bottom right of this DK cab.
    IMG_4196_zpsf133558f.jpg

Just to allow the stiff bit of the kettle lead to be inside and not poking out into the wall.
    I ordered one of these to go behind the coin door too.
    http://www.arcadeshop.de/Power-Supply-Rocker-Switch-DPST-10-A_887.html

I might put a separate switch to turn the marquee on by its self.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Does the power cable go to a socket like that on a DK cab?

I don't think any of my cabs have ever had one of them. They all just have a cable fed through a hole in the back which connects up to the power circuit.

Advertisement