Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's a real pain about the saving feature alright, mine doesn't save anymore either :(

I guess what's holding back a rom fix being released is that damn uncrackable encryption - I don't think we'll ever see the save feature restored.

I really should get around to removing that battery. There's a plastic film covering it as protection, but I guess it could leak through the bottom and into the traces. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I remember when King of Dragons arrived in our arcade there were queues to get on it. The 3 (4?) player aspect was incredibly popular. Felt like a big step up from Golden Axe (obligatory Boards.ie boo, hiss!) or whatever scrolling fighter we had before.

Where did you get your Pony from and what did it set you back? Assuming rklok? I'd love to get one of those grey Mk II's but I'm fearful what that'd run me price wise.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I got mine from Rklok alright. Was a waiting list of about 6 months.

There are a couple of different grey ones.

There's the Pony II which is the one on the right here. Quite a bit bulkier than the III beside it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSX91pdAic7Pkum93GJ6wlueYdLqAQd7KW8vs8ExuGqFcyD0kgz

Then there's the Mark II 19, which looks like a mini Mark III with a 19 inch monitor and grey in colour. Gorgeous little thing. Will set you back a fortune though. Last one I heard Ronnie had sold for almost €1.5k I think. :eek:

It's up there with the SNK SC19, Capcom Cute etc when it comes to small footprints. (and expense!)

Right.jpg

Yeah it was the 19 I'm lusting after. Played one in Trocadero years ago and adored it. They look like they'd be very unobtrusive in a home setting. Don't think I want to pay that much though!

Master of the Universe

If you played the ones in the Troc they were actually the standard Jaleco II and not the smaller 19 inch version. So shouldn't set you back quite that much :)

I've never really seen Rklok sell them though, I guess they're pretty hard to come by.

Those ones from the Troc ended up in a new game centre called Heart of Gaming if you ever fancy playing them again! :)

Here they are before being cleaned up

011.JPG

• Advertisement

I was at Heart of Gaming during the summer however I was early and had very little time (on a day trip) so it wasn't open yet... least I'll know where it is next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Steve X2

A sample/preview unfinished video of something I'm working on. When I have the whole video and article done up I'll post it over on retrovia and stick a link here.

Basically it'll be a detailed comparison video of some MAME games running with and without HLSL(and other effects) and there will be a post to go along with it detailing what it is, why its good and why you might want it. I'll also include the HLSL code and fx(you can get the code from shmups but I've made some changes that people might prefer).

I know a lot of you here probably know about HLSL, but its more for people who haven't a clue and are running MAME on LCD's without any filters, or gods forbid, in 16:9 :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Moved around the cabs in my kitchen earlier trying to sort out the best spots for them. Trying to put one cab in the corner at an angle so I can fit two more on the empty wall at the end. Here's a quick video. Need to get working on that Tekken cab after Xmas, change it to Mortal Kombat 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

keithgeo wrote: »
    Need to get working on that Tekken cab after Xmas, change it to Mortal Kombat 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUwjNg-DyvU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Noooo! Make it a Tekken Tag cab!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I generally go for cabs\games i played when i was younger, never really played tekken tag back then, mortal kombat 2 though i played a fair bit.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Mortal Kombat 2 all the way :) One of the nicest looking cab designs ever.

If i ever get the space to trade up from my bartop and have a full size woody cab again I'd love to have a Street Fighter 2 Turbo Hyper Fighting. Am mad jealous of KeithGeo's Street Fighter cab. :D

I also love the idea of making a from scratch Street fighter custom cab running all versions of the game from SF2 up as far as the current SF4 series. There's tons of usable HD graphics online since the wave of recent street fighter releases that would make customizing the artwork a doddle.

Something like this:

http://games.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/astral-fighter-arcade-machine-street-fighter-2-7656-p.jpg

I played alot of Tekken 3 and then Tekken Tag in Atari Expo back in the day.

Used to getting into tournaments with randomers on them, huge nostalgia value for me.

Would love to have one of those cabs one day.

I'm actually thinking of getting a pedastil for my bartop to built it into a full sized unit.

If I do that is there a way to wire up the PC board to a JAMMA loom and have some kind of switch between the two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

If i ever get the space to trade up from my bartop and have a full size woody cab again I'd love to have a Street Fighter 2 Turbo Hyper Fighting. Am mad jealous of KeithGeo's Street Fighter cab. :D

I also love the idea of making a from scratch Street fighter custom cab running all versions of the game from SF2 up as far as the current SF4 series. There's tons of usable HD graphics online since the wave of recent street fighter releases that would make customizing the artwork a doddle.

Something like this:

http://games.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/astral-fighter-arcade-machine-street-fighter-2-7656-p.jpg

The only problem there is the arcade versions of SF4 are meant to run on a 16:9 panel, which would either look odd in a normal cab, or if you build around the display, will give the older games big black borders at the side.

You can run SF4 in 4:3, not sure how it looks though

Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    The only problem there is the arcade versions of SF4 are meant to run on a 16:9 panel, which would either look odd in a normal cab, or if you build around the display, will give the older games big black borders at the side.

Fairly sure there are candy cabs running SF IV all over the globe in 4:3 without too many issues :)

I'd much rather do that than go the opposite and have all the other SF games running in the incorrect aspect ratio. That'd look far worse!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Fairly sure there are candy cabs running SF IV all over the globe in 4:3 without too many issues :)

I'd much rather do that than go the opposite and have all the other SF games running in the incorrect aspect ratio. That'd look far worse!

Yeah same here, but hasn't the actual SF4/AE cab got a 16:9 panel? Maybe it looks grand in 4:3, I know the hacked loader calls that 'lo-res' mode though :o

Master of the Universe

Yeah same here, but hasn't the actual SF4/AE cab got a 16:9 panel? Maybe it looks grand in 4:3, I know the hacked loader calls that 'lo-res' mode though :o

Yeah the Vewlix cabs are 16:9 panels so that's how it's meant to be played.

Japan is full of 4:3 CRT based candy cabs though. The low res mode which goes into 4:3 is designed for CRT candy cabs with 4:3 Tri syncs (Fairly sure the 'low res' is 640X480 - which is the high res setting on a Tri Sync)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Plenty of candies running SF4 in 4:3 in the arcades in Tokyo anyway.

http://youtu.be/KZJ8eeALWH4?t=19m30s

Works fine for me at 1024x768 (4:3 aspect ratio).

You can do this with the Taito X2 version also.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

SF4 comes with a mode for 4:3 monitors, so you can live the dream and have it on the same screen as ST or hyper or whatever.

However if you want the authentic arcade sf4 experience it should indeed be in 16:9 on a viewlix!

• Advertisement

I could live with using a large 16:9 display (for sf4) and forcing the 4:3 retro CPS titles to run at their native aspect ratio on that but with black bars at the sides. Mame multi game cabs are about compromise for me. You get a bigger choice of games but you compromise on authenticity of the hardware versus the original setup as a tradeoff. Running SF4 in 4:3 would feel too wrong. The game is built specifically for wide screen.

Master of the Universe

Wow, did anyone see the mint (and what has to be unused) Outrun standup over on Jamma+?

They sure don't come minter!

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=57646&title=mint-original-outrun-ebay-usa-2006

OutRun_1.jpg

OutRun_2.jpg

OutRun_4.jpg

OutRun_5.jpg

OutRun_6.jpg

OutRun_7.jpg

OutRun_8.jpg

OutRun_10.jpg

Grail cab right there. That's a stunning example

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just spotted this over on tumblr

tumblr_mxdjmdeVIr1qegdapo1_500.jpg

http://www.multigame.com/splatterhouse.html

Master of the Universe

Someone sold a lovely looking E2 for £200 and an Astro for £300 over on AO :eek: lunacy!!!

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26389

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Someone sold a lovely looking E2 for £200 and an Astro for £300 over on AO :eek: lunacy!!!

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26389

Christ almighty that's madness.

Master of the Universe

I'd love to know his reasoning for the prices. People would have bitten his hand off for that E2 at even X3 times the price!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Reckon he just didn't do his homework. As you say, he still would have got a quick sale for much more.

Been meaning to post this up. Did some work on the bartop just before Christmas.

It was bothering me that I could still see some of the outline of the screen under the poser board bezel and that the posterboard bezel was showing it's cardboard innards where I had taken an xacto knife to it previously so I decided to go with a very ghetto solution, I bought a permanent black market and decided to colour everything in, including the screen.

In progress:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-OH4TDXjfufU/UraBPdkjIxI/AAAAAAAAIv8/wzCxOA5kJp4/w718-h430-no/IMAG0069.jpg

In progress 2:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-4MblpmKFY8Q/UraBTFGRvpI/AAAAAAAAIww/xnbIpTMCOJo/w718-h430-no/IMAG0073.jpg

Finished Product:

https://plus.google.com/photos/114493608176215136772/albums/5960093265352636065/5960093438334950226?pid=5960093438334950226&oid=114493608176215136772

I also added some carbon fibre vinyl wrap to the control panel and the top of the unit as I'm unhappy with the unfinished look of it (due to my inexperience building such things).

I should have sanded it all down before I did this but lesson learned if there's ever a next time:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-uztOuuni5yc/UraBdbf1vsI/AAAAAAAAIyk/ESWRez5tJV0/w718-h430-no/IMAG0083.jpg

It looks a bit messy at the edge but I plan to redo the chrome trim after I get paid anyway so I'll be putting some chrome trim on the CP edge to mask the awful job that I did.

Here she is in action, looking slightly prettier:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-UGembpfd9fY/UsisjMVVljI/AAAAAAAAI_A/auBf8QoOfDY/w685-h514-no/IMG_20140105_005114.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

That's one thing I really don't like about those kits is the monitor fit, you have the flexibility of using different size but none really fit right.

I prefer to cut the monitor opening to the exact visible size of the screen, buttload more work and you're stuck to a single screen size but a whole lot neater and probably more efficient in using the internal space.

Advertisement