Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil, coal, turf, briquettes and firewood, where to get?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭galwayfreak

is its thermoshell 28 its kero if its thermoshell 35 its gas oil . hope that helps. outside burners burn both gas oil and kero . inside burners only burn kero

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

For years now I've complained about the heating oil cartel that operated in Tuam but I'm pleased to concede that it now appears to have disbanded, going by my own personal experience in ordering kerosene recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭golfpaul

I need to stock up for the winter after putting in a new stove. Does anyone have experience/recommendations for good kiln dried hardwood in Galway? Price seems to vary a lot from sites i have checked out. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

did a bit of digging, too, and we found O'Briens in Mountbellew the best of the lot (from the companies who had websites and replied to my inquiries, and didn't charge both arms for delivery). (not affiliated, related or in any way associated with them, just a happy customer).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

PM me and I'll tell you where to get the best firewood.

It's not from me, by the way, lest you think I'm advertising. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

PM sent, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Sweeny Oil 1000 litres for €838 but no promise of delivery until Tues.

Ended up using CosyHome for same day delivery, was €840 but then w/ credit card ended up being €850 for 1000l

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭maniac2003

Anyone get anything better lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

72c per lit across the border, I fill up 5 gal drums on the way through Cullaville.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway to Armagh for heating oil is a bit of a stretch ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

€424 for 500L, which is 84.8 cent per litre, Mór Oil. That price was for ordering online only, it's more expensive if you ring up to order (€440 I think), the web site is new so they are offering a small discount if you use it.

That was as cheap as I could find without killing myself too much searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Anywhere doing good deals around the city?

Possibly turf also. I bought a bag down in Kearneys Texaco down Lough Altalia but it was so wet I couldn't burn it!

The, er, bog-standard "firewood" sold in corner shops, garages etc has no meaning in life. It should be banned under the Trade Descriptions Act or whatever piece of legislation would spare the populace from such expensive folly.

There was a thread on this topic a while back: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87984472

I'll PM you the name of a supplier of kiln-dried firewood (ash, birch and compressed sawdust briquettes).

I hate turf with a passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    The, er, bog-standard "firewood" sold in corner shops, garages etc has no meaning in life. It should be banned under the Trade Descriptions Act or whatever piece of legislation would spare the populace from such expensive folly.

There was a thread on this topic a while back: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87984472

I'll PM you the name of a supplier of kiln-dried firewood (ash, birch and compressed sawdust briquettes).

Does it make you ...wannahurl. sorry i couldnt help myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Presumably as the heat isn't great? True, turf can't compete with wood for heat, but is grand if it's good quality and a 'glowing' fire is all that's needed, with low maintenance. Also I do love the smell of it.

biffoman wrote: »
    Does it make you ...wannahurl. sorry i couldnt help myself.

Well, I want to hurl all that stupid sodden "firewood" into a bog! Does that count? :)

I have, naturally enough, a real grá for ash. But if it's to be used for firewood rather than hurleys it has to be nice and dry. There is absolutely no point in having wood steaming, spitting and sizzling in your fireplace.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Presumably as the heat isn't great? True, turf can't compete with wood for heat, but is grand if it's good quality and a 'glowing' fire is all that's needed, with low maintenance. Also I do love the smell of it.

The aroma is nice, I'll grant you that. Unfortunately turf seems to be bad for chimneys, and it leaves huge quantities of very fine ash. Dry firewood also has the advantage of very little ash residue. Plus I love the smell of woodsmoke...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sonandheir

Hey Iwannahurl can you PM me the details as well. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 comeonthebann

sonandheir wrote: »
    Hey Iwannahurl can you PM me the details as well. Thanks.

Can you pm me too ts

Kiln-dried firewood available from Woodies. €12 for two bags, €7.95 for one. Or at least that's how much it was when I bought two bags earlier this week (when regular supplier didn't show up! :()

Not cheap even at €6 per bag, but so dry it actually gives off blue flame when it burns. When split it makes excellent kindling.

I've noticed that even the "kindling" wood sold in shops, garages etc is so wet that it hisses and spits.

Wet firewood might be cheap, but it isn't good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

We pay €4 for a fertiliazer bag of wood, and it burns very well. It's delivered, and we order 25-30 bags each time, so you need a bit of storage space (we have a 1.0x1.2x1.5 metre unit out the back for storage, and that holds 15 - 16 bags).

20 bags lasts us about 3 weeks, (works out at about a bag a day) but our fire is rarely out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Apparently certain people of the travelling nature have been cutting down trees in random forests around the county and selling it off to the public as firewood. It is often of very poor quality for the reason IWannahurl suggested, far too wet. So be careful who you buy it off. Stuff from petrol stations is often left uncovered too so it's useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Anyone who hates turf, hates life.

Turf rocks!

(dry turf in the shed for over a year)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Apparently certain people of the travelling nature have been cutting down trees in random forests around the county and selling it off to the public as firewood. It is often of very poor quality for the reason IWannahurl suggested, far too wet. So be careful who you buy it off. Stuff from petrol stations is often left uncovered too so it's useless.

Not just those of the travelling nature! Sometimes those of a 'I live near it' nature, and those of an 'I am an EnTREEpeneur (sic)' nature! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Bloody tourists. No wonder they can afford to buy all those Aran Jumpers.

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Anyone who hates turf, hates life

Quite the opposite, if we're talking about life on earth: http://www.ipcc.ie/a-to-z-peatlands/peatland-action-plan/climate-change-and-irish-peatlands/

I don't know who the tree thieves are, but it really bugs me. There were reports in the local media recently about trees being cut down in Merlin Woods. Very depressing, imo. Apparently the vandal-thieves have to be caught red-handed, which is difficult to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Quite the opposite, if we're talking about life on earth: http://www.ipcc.ie/a-to-z-peatlands/peatland-action-plan/climate-change-and-irish-peatlands/

I don't know who the tree thieves are, but it really bugs me. There were reports in the local media recently about trees being cut down in Merlin Woods. Very depressing, imo. Apparently the vandal-thieves have to be caught red-handed, which is difficult to do.
    Saw it in the City Tribune alright. They're at it in parts of Claregalway too. Nothing you can do I suppose unless you catch them, hide in the bushes and call the shades :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Bloody hell at the prices,:eek: we're saving a fortune heating 3 houses from workshop off cuts. Think I should start selling it,

How big are the "off-cuts"? :)

Very ecological to use waste timber. I rescued a load of flooring etc from a skip and used it for kindling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

How big are the "off-cuts"? :)

Very ecological to use waste timber. I rescued a load of flooring etc from a skip and used it for kindling.

Once a week, we cut any large waste into small enough pieces to fit into wood stoves. Saving up for a wood burning boiler for our central heating atm.

Advertisement