Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil, coal, turf, briquettes and firewood, where to get?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

can u buy direct from that place at the docks, some mountain coal there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

GY A1 wrote: »

Yes call into the place across the road from it on the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Anyone know where I can buy Calco coal?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

bags of smokey coal in kilcolgan, 13e and 12.80e respectively in mace and londis

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

SO i am going ordering hoe heating oil,

Whats the least amount in € that you can order does anyone know?

And any cheap places? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with the big oil thread. It has answers to both your questions.

The petrol station by Menlo roundabout, had 20L jugs/cans last year.
    The petrol station on Lough Atalia rd also has jugs/cans.
    Mór Oil, Lough Atalia rd, have a pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

GY A1 wrote: »

They'll only sell you the smokeless, co-ops do good deals for coal if your traveling outside of the city for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

How much for a 40kg bag from the place on the docks this year does anyone know?
    Price varying from 17 to 20 elsewhere around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

buzz55 wrote: »
    How much for a 40kg bag from the place on the docks this year does anyone know?
    Price varying from 17 to 20 elsewhere around town.

thats dear

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭vidapura

Its all gone up this year I think, and there seems to be a lot less ads in the classifieds offering coal..

My usual guy is gone to 18 euro a 40kg bag.
    He says 'yer man in the yard put it up with the carbon tax' so I dunno.. but I'm gonna stick with him cos the coal is very good.
    Smokeless and burns right down to ash , no coke left in the grate next day.

I did notice petrol stations running at around 10.50 a 20kg bag.. whereas in Joyces Knocknacarra they're doing a bulk deal that I think gets you the 20kg bag for 8.50,or is it 9.50, I forget, but definitely an improvement on the petrol stations

Joyces charge for delivery mind.. so if you want to save there you'll have to haul it yourself...

Vida..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Natmus

I got 500L for €430 with sweeney. The rest were €435 upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 43 restartagain

Top Oil are offering the best prices as far as I can see. I got 600 litres of red kerosene for €510. These prices are for online orders. I also got a promo discount of 20 cent off every litre of petrol/diesel, up to a total of 50 litres, purchased at top oil garages

• Registered Users Posts: 8 strabow

does this place where you get your coal have big windows.
    E14 or E15 for 40kg bags max. last year good hot polish coal was E13 to E14 a bag, the carbon tax in last years budget came in to effect on the 1st of may 2013 and added E1.00 on to a 40kg bag anything less than E14 you risk getting the cheap economy coal which does not burn down or give half the heat of polish coal. But look around stay away from the city and large towns if you want a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 coalspy

Smoky coal is illegal to buy or burn inside the specified area of Galway (City and environs). Inspections are being carried out throughout the City and fines of up to [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]5,000 apply.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I burn smokeless coal but last week my coalman told me there is a big increase in the burning of smokey coal in the City, the law is not being enforced, you need adds on the radio and papers outlining the fines by the City Council if it gets out if hand it will be harder to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,361 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Maybe if the price of smokeless coal was lowered less people would burn the other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 john locke

coalspy wrote: »
    Smoky coal is illegal to buy or burn inside the specified area of Galway (City and environs). Inspections are being carried out throughout the City and fines of up to [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]5,000 apply.[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Are you part of some sort of coal police?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I actually heard wardens are going around and checking.
    You can smell the smoke and then see where it is coming from. Then there is a knock on the door..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 coalspy

Burning smoky coal causes air pollution, seriously affects the health of asthma sufferers, and impacts on the livelihoods of legitimate coal merchants who abide by the law. Wardens are carrying out inspections in the City, and prosecutions are being taken.

coalspy wrote: »
    Burning smoky coal causes air pollution, seriously affects the health of asthma sufferers, and impacts on the livelihoods of legitimate coal merchants who abide by the law. Wardens are carrying out inspections in the City, and prosecutions are being taken.

I hope you are a member of the City Council and are going to enforce this rule, already in the City my wife tells me there are coal smuts on the washing something that has not happened for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭IS_a_Class

anyone know a merchant who'll do a good deal on briquette delivery?

while i dont agree with burning smoky coal, many people are being left with no alternative as decent smokeless is 19 euro a bag now, i myself am really struggling to get a decent deal on coal, the price jumps from last year are astounding.

The day a private householder actually gets fined will be the day pigs will fly. I believe the increases are due to a recent carbon tax? Once again, another government intervention that has had the opposite intended effect

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

IS_a_Class wrote: »
    anyone know a merchant who'll do a good deal on briquette delivery?

give these crowd a ring....delivery,collect yerself,bags,trailors.
    loose briquetts/turf mix...any way u want :)
    Attymon Peat Co-op
    Category: Local Services [Edit]
    Clonkeen Works
    Attymon, Co. Galway

they don't do bales, only loose ould bags of broken stuff, only worth it if u can get hold of a trailer and buying in a huge quantity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

give these crowd a ring....delivery,collect yerself,bags,trailors.
    loose briquetts/turf mix...any way u want :)
    Attymon Peat Co-op
    Category: Local Services [Edit]
    Clonkeen Works
    Attymon, Co. Galway
    IS_a_Class wrote: »
    they don't do bales, only loose ould bags of broken stuff, only worth it if u can get hold of a trailer and buying in a huge quantity

If you are doing this then price bales first and compare weights; my father got a trailer load recently, a lot of which was broken briquettes. When we compared the price/weight afterward there was not a great saving, especially considering the space it takes up, the time going out to Attymon and back, and the cost of fuel used.

B&Q are doing briquettes for €18 for 5 bales (works out at €3.60 per bale).

Mor Oil (petrol station at the docks) are doing briquettes for €10.90 for 3 bales (works out at €3.63 per bale).

Both are selling Bord na Mona briquettes.

Higgins in Shantalla doing the same 10 bales for €36

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

:olooking at docket from corrib on last order we got Thermoshell...is this Kerosene or Gas Oil?
    we have an outside boiler but its cover in a little shed thing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

fifib wrote: »
    :olooking at docket from corrib on last order we got Thermoshell...is this Kerosene or Gas Oil?
    we have an outside boiler but its cover in a little shed thing

outside is normally gas marked oil as far as I know. Check the tank sometimes people put stickers on it to let you know which type to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Has anyone ordered oil in the last few days, just looking for some today, best price I can get for €300 is 330 litres and that was pushing them, still seems high though about 91 cent a litre or is this about right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

iPhone. wrote: »
    Has anyone ordered oil in the last few days, just looking for some today, best price I can get for €300 is 330 litres and that was pushing them, still seems high though about 91 cent a litre or is this about right?
    You're not in a great bargaining position if you're only spending €300 but you still might do a little bit better if you ring around some more. The best price currently on http://www.cheapestoil.ie/heating-oil-prices/Galway.aspx is 87 cent a litre if you buy 500 litres or 84 cent if buy 1000 litres.

Advertisement