Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil, coal, turf, briquettes and firewood, where to get?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭megan2013

Go for the Kiln Dried Hardwood. The logs we got (with less than 20% moisture) were from a company called heatingsolutions (.ie) and they are quite reasonable. They also deliver free of charge within Dublin. €279 is definitely a bit high

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

megan2013 wrote: »
    Go for the Kiln Dried Hardwood. The logs we got (with less than 20% moisture) were from a company called heatingsolutions (.ie) and they are quite reasonable. They also deliver free of charge within Dublin. €279 is definitely a bit high

Any chance you can throw them in the back of the SUV and drop em down to Galway Megan?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Elite Oil kerosene 250l = €225, 500l = €400, 750l = €600, 1000l = €790
    Texoil kerosene 500l = €394, 1000l = €785

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

For years Joyces have offered a deal on 5 bales (used to be €15 and crept up to €18). This year they only have a deal on 10 bales for €38.

Getting 10 bales doesn't suit me nor does paying full price. Is there a better bargain in Knocknacarra?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Storm 10

B & Q doing bales for €4 each

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Are there any more suggestions for kiln dried (or very dry) wood suppliers?

Preferably ones where you can just buy a few bags at a time due to space restrictions.

Thanks.

(PS: Why do so many places store bags of wood outside in the wind and rain? A couple places I visited to check prices and their "super dry" wood was either damp or some soaked :confused: )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭ratracer

woodireland.ie sell them in small bags or big bags

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

cool200 i sent you a pm with the guy where i got it from

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

?Cee?view wrote: »
    That's not actually correct. It's illegal to sell coal that isn't smokeless in the city. It's not illegal to burn it. Nothing to stop a person buying normal coal outside the city.

Except maybe a conscience. The ban was put in place because of smog build up and poor air quality in cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Yeah, just saw that in the paper. If that's their everyday price that's me sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

whineflu wrote: »
    Except maybe a conscience. The ban was put in place because of smog build up and poor air quality in cities.

It's an old thread (2011), as is the post you quoted.

The ban now covers the marketing, sale, distribution and burning of bituminous coal.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Atmosphere/News/MainBody,33162,en.htm

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Atmosphere/AirQuality/SmokyCoalBan/#Extension

Conscience can not be relied on. Regulation is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Anybody used the firewood O'Huiginn's in Shantalla sell

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Anybody used the firewood O'Huiginn's in Shantalla sell

Don't know about the firewood but i got a deal on 7 briquettes for €25 there last week.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

huggs2 wrote: »
    Don't know about the firewood but i got a deal on 7 briquettes for €25 there last week.;)

That's good. Are they Bord na Mona?

That's good. Are they Bord na Mona?

Don't know. sorry

Don't know. sorry

No problem. If they are, its stamped on the banding, with "BNM" stamped on each brick.

Just I have had some Polish briquettes in the past - cheaper than BNM but a lot of ash and not so much heat :)

No problem. If they are, its stamped on the banding, with "BNM" stamped on each brick.

Just I have had some Polish briquettes in the past - cheaper than BNM but a lot of ash and not so much heat :)

I checked my shed just now and they have "Bord na Mona peat briquettes" written on green banding holding them together and also "B N M" is part of the moulding of each brick.I think they close on Mondays in case you want to get them tomorrow.

I checked my shed just now and they have "Bord na Mona peat briquettes" written on green banding holding them together and also "B N M" is part of the moulding of each brick.I think they close on Mondays in case you want to get them tomorrow.

Thanks Huggs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Coal is bloody expensive this year, bought a pallet of it at over €17 a bag.

Corrib, Cosyhome, MacMahon, and Sweeney all 80c per litre for a delivery of 500 litres of kerosene home heating oil. That's €400 for 500 litres.

If you order through their website Top Oil will deliver 500 litres for €389, which is about 78c/litre. Promo code needed. Not sure whether I'm allowed to post that here, so either phone them (091 567 973) or else PM me for the details.

Also I believe Claddagh Oil (091 555 555) will match that, with a bit of haggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,299 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Got Tex Oil yesterday 500 litres for €394

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Anywhere around the city that have good dry firewood for sale by the bag? Don't have storage to can't bulk buy.

jenno86 wrote: »
    Anywhere around the city that have good dry firewood for sale by the bag? Don't have storage to can't bulk buy.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭b.gud

Any suggestions?

Personally I can't say that I've ever got good dry firewood in bags in the city.

I recently got some bags in Super Valu on Fr Griffin rd which were OK at best.

If you are ever passing through Claregalway my uncle supplies bags of kiln dried wood to Hughes. If it's anything like the load I got off him at the weekend it's head and shoulders above anything I've gotten in the city

While in O'Higgins of Shantalla yesterday, I noticed that they are now supplying firewood. They have at least two types: compressed logs made from woodchips, and kiln-dried beech. Good price too.

I bought a pack of each. The kiln-dried beech is phenomenal, in a stove. It will most likely burn too fast in an open fire, and in any case 75% or the energy will be wasted. However, it is far superior to any of the air-dried or so-called "seasoned" timber available in various shops around the city, or sold door-to-door by chancers.

B&Q also have bags of kiln-dried firewood but it is about twice the price of the stuff in O'Higgins. Also they don't store it properly. I bought a bag a couple of weeks ago and returned it shortly afterwards when I noticed that it was wet and that their entire stock on display had been left out in the rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    While in O'Higgins of Shantalla yesterday, I noticed that they are now supplying firewood. They have at least two types: compressed logs made from woodchips, and kiln-dried beech. Good price too.

I bought a pack of each. The kiln-dried beech is phenomenal, in a stove. It will most likely burn too fast in an open fire, and in any case 75% or the energy will be wasted. However, it is far superior to any of the air-dried or so-called "seasoned" timber available in various shops around the city, or sold door-to-door by chancers.

What are the costs in O'Higgins?

I can't remember!

The manufactured logs were less than €4, and the beech was less than €5.

I think.

O'Higgins wood is good! Burns a bit quick in an open fire tho. About 4.50 I think for a small bag

Burns a bit quick in an open fire tho.

Time to starting thinking about a stove?

http://www.seai.ie/Renewables/Bioenergy/Domestic_wood_burning_stoves_Consumer_Guide_2010.pdf

http://www.murphyheating.com

• Advertisement

Advertisement