Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus etiquette?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Agree about the foods. In the U.S. food and drink are banned from the bus.

Putting on make up on public transport is a no no. Etiquette.

Regarding the windows. Its obvious I meant if its freezing cold in the winter and some idiot opens the window.

But *why* is it etiquette? Etiquette is developed from appropriate social conventions and manners-I dont see what so unmannerly about taking out a compact and applying a bit of makeup provided its not in anyones way. Personally,I hate people watching me do my makeup so I dont do it, but can completely understand why some people do it if theyre short for time and travel on public transport. Its far from a no-no in my eyes-and I would consider myself fairly au-fait with etiquette. (Excluding applying nail varnish/perfume/brushing hair etc because these affect other passengers).

Also not to be argumentative, but even if its freezing cold outside there can still be a lack of air on a full bus, especially on long journeys. You might have just got on the bus and are feeling the cold-I could have been on the bus for the past hour and am feeling like I need some air, Im gonna open the window. Doesnt make me an idiot just because it doesnt suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Azureus wrote: »
    But *why* is it etiquette? Etiquette is developed from appropriate social conventions and manners-I dont see what so unmannerly about taking out a compact and applying a bit of makeup provided its not in anyones way. Personally,I hate people watching me do my makeup so I dont do it, but can completely understand why some people do it if theyre short for time and travel on public transport. Its far from a no-no in my eyes-and I would consider myself fairly au-fait with etiquette. (Excluding applying nail varnish/perfume/brushing hair etc because these affect other passengers).

Also not to be argumentative, but even if its freezing cold outside there can still be a lack of air on a full bus, especially on long journeys. You might have just got on the bus and are feeling the cold-I could have been on the bus for the past hour and am feeling like I need some air, Im gonna open the window. Doesnt make me an idiot just because it doesnt suit you.

Its nothing to do with suiting me. Its common sense if its baltic outside to keep the heat in. The point is not leaving the windows open for the whole journey.

On your first query we'll agree to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

o1s1n wrote: »
    On the subject of Bus etiquette (actually all transport etiquette)

What's the deal with people not knowing the personal space rule? If there are a **** load of free seats, why the hell did you just sit on the two seater right beside me?

Or if you're sitting beside me due to the bus being packed, and eventually two seaters free up all over the place, why haven't you moved? Are you lonely? Do you think because we're sitting beside each other that makes us friends?
    if it bothers you that much why dont you move?
    Fran1985 wrote: »
    as has been said, tell him where you're goin or how much you're paying. He's not there to read minds. A please and thanks is also just basic manners.

Also, speaking of bus etiquette. Turn your earphones down. I HATE having to listen to other peoples thinny music at full level. Wrecks my head! And don't have a private phone conversation on a packed bus.

Bus etiquette
    hahaha i turn my music up to block people like you out.

theres nothing worse than the fcukers who wait til they get on the bus to start searching for their wallet, at the bottom of their bag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

What I consider bad etiquette is people who don't move their seat forward when it's in a reclined position when someone sits behind them. So annoying having f*ck all legroom because someone in front of you is getting so much pleasure of having an extra inch or so to lie back on.

I would agree that it's also bad etiquette for people to have their bags on the seat beside them when the bus is nearly full. I put the bag on the seat beside me but only because there's little room for it on the ground, but whenever a bus is filling up I'd always put it to my side.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

maybe it was a ryanair airbus A320 and the captin was confused as he thought you should of booked online
    Ryanair dont fly Aibuses !! only Aer lingus do :D
    but i still dont get it !:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

This thread has 155 posts? Wow, who knew that bus etiquette was such a compelling topic

What I want to know is, what do the President hopefuls make of bus etiquette and what will they do to improve the life of bus users so these kind of things stop happening?
    Or is it simply a case of let them eat cake, cause hey, they probably haven't got a bus in their life. Sean Gallagher on a bus? Pleeease, he would probably be afraid of catching an odd disease off usmere mortals...
    I'm out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Fbjm wrote: »
    What did he want from me? :confused:

Manners? The acknowledgement that he was there? To know how much you were paying and where you were going since he is unlikely to be telepathic?

Is it really that hard to figure out OP?

My own pet peeves are;

Gangs of teens sitting down the back blaring music, singing at the tops of their voices and roaring laughing at every little thing.....get a grip and grow up a little, you are not children, stop acting like it.

People have personal coversations at the tops of their voices.....I really don't care what happen at the party last or what you're have for dinner....lower the volume.

Drunken teens....like those mention above but 100 times worse.

People who abuse the driver.....he's not thick, ignorant, racist or any other insult I've heard levelled them....he's just an ordinary decent man trying to earn a living.....have some manners and respect.

Men who do the splits sitting down and don't tidy up when you sit next to them. I'm sorry but no man is so well endowed he can't make a bit of space to let some-one sit next to him.

Parents who refuse to control their children and let them run riot.

People who would throw into the middle of the road to get on first and get seats.....it's the height of ignorance.....happens on the train too.....people block the exits so they can be first on and barely even let anyone off before the barge on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

People who rush onto the bus before anyone can get off. The bus isnt going to f*cking leave without you. If you try to shove onto the bus as I'm getting off, I will shove you back.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    What I consider bad etiquette is people who don't move their seat forward when it's in a reclined position when someone sits behind them. So annoying having f*ck all legroom because someone in front of you is getting so much pleasure of having an extra inch or so to lie back on.

I would agree that it's also bad etiquette for people to have their bags on the seat beside them when the bus is nearly full. I put the bag on the seat beside me but only because there's little room for it on the ground, but whenever a bus is filling up I'd always put it to my side.
    sometimes the seats are ****ed.....but i dont know how they find have their seat back comfy. it bloody kills on my back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Manners? The acknowledgement that he was there? To know how much you were paying and where you were going since he is unlikely to be telepathic?

Is it really that hard to figure out OP?

My own pet peeves are;

Gangs of teens sitting down the back blaring music, singing at the tops of their voices and roaring laughing at every little thing.....get a grip and grow up a little, you are not children, stop acting like it.

People have personal coversations at the tops of their voices.....I really don't care what happen at the party last or what you're have for dinner....lower the volume.

Drunken teens....like those mention above but 100 times worse.

People who abuse the driver.....he's not thick, ignorant, racist or any other insult I've heard levelled them....he's just an ordinary decent man trying to earn a living.....have some manners and respect.

Men who do the splits sitting down and don't tidy up when you sit next to them. I'm sorry but no man is so well endowed he can't make a bit of space to let some-one sit next to him.

Parents who refuse to control their children and let them run riot.

People who would throw into the middle of the road to get on first and get seats.....it's the height of ignorance.....happens on the train too.....people block the exits so they can be first on and barely even let anyone off before the barge on.

dude the thread is a week old, but thanks for the useful advice. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jan shyr

People who rush onto the bus before anyone can get off. The bus isnt going to f*cking leave without you. If you try to shove onto the bus as I'm getting off, I will shove you back.
    Yes, what is the deal with that. Has been happening a lot when I am getting off 46A or 145 beside UCD. They have to get out of the way but it is still annoying.
    I personally don't see the big issue with this one either tbf . A friend of mine does hers on the LUAS most mornings, and has it down to a fine art to be able to apply make-up perfectly on moving public transport . I don't see how it affects any of the others on the bus/LUAS/train...
    On a bus it could be annoying if the person in front of you sits at 45 degree angle and well, it was quite disgusting last time. Otherwise it is perfectly okay unless it actually takes the whole damn trip.
    By the way, just because train moves, doesn't mean that her seat is moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

What's the etiquette when its pissing outside,the driver has the heating on,and all the windows are closed,and fogged up? Its a ****ing sweat box in here,i'd say i'd get some looks if I opened the window

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

What's the etiquette when its pissing outside,the driver has the heating on,and all the windows are closed,and fogged up? Its a ****ing sweat box in here,i'd say i'd get some looks if I opened the window

Try it....and report back!

You might even have a fellow Boardsie on the same bus reading this thread on their iPhone who will recognise you and applaud your bravery!

Done.and i'm still alive! No looks. There was a woman before who opened a window after I closed it. It was freezing and she was off at the next stop anyway :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

People that talk on LOUDSPEAKER on their phone. Seriously, is it too much effort to hold the ****ing phone to your ear you idiot.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Done.and i'm still alive! No looks. There was a woman before who opened a window after I closed it. It was freezing and she was off at the next stop anyway :confused:

Good work! Tbh the lads on the bus were prob too busy looking at your 'toosh' when you went to reach for the window!

Sexy bums.....the best distraction in the world :P

kfallon wrote: »
    Good work! Tbh the lads on the bus were prob too busy looking at your 'toosh' when you went to reach for the window!

Sexy bums.....the best distraction in the world :P

:cool:

glad no one said anything, the bus needed a good few more windows open tbh, and believe me i'm not one for opening windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

And yet here you are.

Don't read the thread if you think it's run it's course.

people, in general, who refer to people as....dude...
    not just on the bus...but grrrr

Same problem as yesterday :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

booboo88 wrote: »
    people, in general, who refer to people as....dude...
    not just on the bus...but grrrr

dude serously lighten up... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭trellheim

If its stuffy open a window. Those who are cold can wear a jumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

trellheim wrote: »
    If its stuffy open a window. Those who are cold can wear a jumper.

exactly, this morning i was on the bus early and someone had the window open, it was needed especially as it was not raining at the time. it can become quite stuffy there at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Last time I went on a Dublin Bus (I'm a culchie) the bus driver gave out to me for not knowing how much my fair was.

Transaction went as follows

ME (smiling brightly): hello! I need to go to Santry
    HIM (glaring): (nods at the coin box thingy)
    ME: How much is the fare?
    HIM: (glaring even more): €2.50 (mutters something incoherent under his breath)
    ME: (puts the money in and waits for the change)
    HIM: WHAT?
    Me: my change?
    HIM: Oh for fcuks sake. You claim it back.
    ME: How?
    HIM: Read the fcuking ticket love.

So some of them don't like conversation with country bumpkins like myself. I get the LUAS now where possible. At least it tells me how much my fare is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If there's a double seat free I go for that one first but if there are only single seats left I go for the one with the bag on it and ask the bloke to move it to let me sit down cause theyre obviously trying to sit alone so it's nice to piss them off. The smallest things amuse me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

ash23 wrote: »
    Last time I went on a Dublin Bus (I'm a culchie) the bus driver gave out to me for not knowing how much my fair was.

Transaction went as follows

ME (smiling brightly): hello! I need to go to Santry
    HIM (glaring): (nods at the coin box thingy)
    ME: How much is the fare?
    HIM: (glaring even more): €2.50 (mutters something incoherent under his breath)
    ME: (puts the money in and waits for the change)
    HIM: WHAT?
    Me: my change?
    HIM: Oh for fcuks sake. You claim it back.
    ME: How?
    HIM: Read the fcuking ticket love.

So some of them don't like conversation with country bumpkins like myself. I get the LUAS now where possible. At least it tells me how much my fare is.

too many of those bus drivers im afraid. at least with the luas you get your change or a free ride if you're bold :D

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

If there's a double seat free I go for that one first but if there are only single seats left I go for the one with the bag on it and ask the bloke to move it to let me sit down cause theyre obviously trying to sit alone so it's nice to piss them off. The smallest things amuse me.

I always do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Veering slightly from the topic, however still slightly relateble to it.
    Intercity buses.
    I live in Limerick, go to UL, and occasionally get the bus into the city centre.
    Now the main stop is UL, where it picks up most of its custom.
    3 stops down the line, odd how close together they are too, is mine.
    Every time I've got a bus into the city, I've been standing.
    I don't mind this, this isn't the bus drivers fault.
    What IS the bus drivers fault, is when I've just handed in my fare, as I'm usually the last one to get on, the lazy gentleman I am, trying to find something sturdy to grasp onto. I take a split second to look around for something, and when spotted, I apologize my way through the crowd to get to it.
    This journey takes approx. 5 seconds... Or it should.
    2 seconds into my trip, the bus driver mashes his foot on the accelerator and I fly back, at this stage, desperately finding someone to clutch onto to break my fall.
    Every time. Even if he's doing it into traffic.
    I'm not prejudice against bus drivers though, thinking they're out to get JUST me. I've seen it happen to women pushing prams, the elderly and people on crutches too.
    Despite all this I am very curtious on the bus. I move back when people are coming in, have given up my seat on occasion, whenever I manage to salvage one, and generally say Thank You to the bus driver when I get off my stop, despite his consistent hurling me around his bus.
    I do wonder though.
    With the roundabouts.
    When I have to hold onto the handles,
    I use all of my strength to keep myself from falling into someone, either side of me.
    How do those "with less strength" cope.
    Also, the braking when stopping.
    This probably cannot be helped but, in fairness, I get the odd chuckle or two when an unexpecting passenger is hurtled forwards when this happens, which brings me to the conclusion...
    Bus drivers commit the acts of premature acceleration and sudden braking, to laugh at us. Brightens up his/her day somewhat, between driving in circles and counting change, and playing with the change distributor whilst stuck in traffic.
    Please reply with any experiences if you can relate,
    I know there are some as I've witnessed many!

dude serously lighten up... :rolleyes:

like totally.......dude like dude....like ohhh myyy goshhhhh!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Bus drivers do have a habit of blindly staring at ya though, everytime the ticket machine is broken and I try to show them my ticket they just stare at me till i walk away.

Advertisement