Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus etiquette?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

Pause music. "€fare please" -ching- "Cheers". Play music.

Not too hard

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Fbjm wrote: »
    I don't get buses often, but from my limited experience, what is expected of me (the customer) is to drop €2.30 into the slot thing and the driver prints me my ticket.

So I got on a bus just five minutes ago with my earphones plugged in, got €2.30 out of my wallet and dropped it into the slot. The driver looked at me questioningly. I took my earphones out to hear what he wanted to say, but all he did was continue staring quizzically at me. I tentatively uttered "eh... €2.30?" he shrugged and printed me my ticket.

What did he want from me? :confused:

Rule Number One of Bus Club, take out your headphones getting on, Rule Number Two of Bus Club, take out your headphones getting off and say thank you

Thank you and enjoy Bus Club... we'll make a man of you yet

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I usually don't mind sitting beside someone on the bus, but occasionally you get this complete weirdo and your stuck with him because the bus is full on a Friday afternoon :(.

I took a book out of my backpack and unwrapped it from the paper bag.
    The lad beside me: "JAYSUS THATS AN AWFULLY LOUD BAG YOU GOT THERE!?".

Me: "mmmm". Trying to ignore him

"Im only messin with ya!"

"Whats that book about!?"

me: Shrugs and ignore him again.

He then bends his head down and tries to read the title on the front of the book and starts muttering to himself.

Less than 20 seconds later he is in a deep loud snoring sleep.

Then his phone rings and I have to listen to him talking to his "mammy" about how he missed some hospital appointment or something and how he will be home soon. This lad was in his late 30's id say.

I was on the 126 once, three of us on it getting into Newbridge. Myself, another local lad, and a lad from Australia who was sitting behind the driver asking about stops. The other local guy moves up next to me, says "Here, look at this", moves next to the Australian and starts ripping into him because Steve Irwin had died recently. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Actually when I think of it, I've never taken a Dublin bus and probably will some day. Quite frankly they scare me. The drivers sound like utter wánkers who would eat the head off you for not knowing the price or having exact change. The buses sound like they're filled with scumbags the whole time too. Do they even announce which bus stop is which?
    Im only used to taking Waterford city bus services and Waterford - Dublin bus service :(. Bestow your knowledge upon me ye Dubliners!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Actually when I think of it, I've never taken a Dublin bus and probably will some day. Quite frankly they scare me. The drivers sound like utter wánkers who would eat the head off you for not knowing the price or having exact change. The buses sound like they're filled with scumbags the whole time too. Do they even announce which bus stop is which?
    Im only used to taking Waterford city bus services and Waterford - Dublin bus service :(. Bestow your knowledge upon me ye Dubliners!

Stay in Waterford, thanks! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

oh dear.

It's easy enough to figure out from the website, or at least it was before they changed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You're a person, and you don't smell too bad, so I'm staying put. If you have some sort of aversion towards people, you can always move away from me. I understand giving people space when possible, but I don't think it's a priority to always be as far away from others as possible. Maybe it's because DART journeys are shorter than bus journeys or something, but it's pretty common from what I've seen.

The dart is very is different to the bus in that regard. On the dart you can happily both sit on the diagonals of a 4 seater with plenty of room. You also can both stand up and walk off easily whenever you want. I'd still move away to four seats if they became available, but wouldn't really be bothered if someone didn't move.

The bus on the other hand has cramped seats, especially the inside, you're on top of each other a bit and it seems very odd to me if you don't move away.

I'm starting to sound like a bit of a personal space freak. Maybe I am :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

They do that on buses in Waterford? lulz

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I don't get buses often, but from my limited experience, what is expected of me (the customer) is to drop €2.30 into the slot thing and the driver prints me my ticket.

So I got on a bus just five minutes ago with my earphones plugged in, got €2.30 out of my wallet and dropped it into the slot. The driver looked at me questioningly. I took my earphones out to hear what he wanted to say, but all he did was continue staring quizzically at me. I tentatively uttered "eh... €2.30?" he shrugged and printed me my ticket.

Maby a Hello or 2.30 please! Yes all he has to do is press the button and print your ticket but he is human? What has happened to a basic "hi" when you see another human?:confused::(
    i always say thank you when im getting off too! Common courtesy !

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Larianne wrote: »
    Yes, yes yes.

People who do their make-up on the bus really annoy me. I mean, why bother? You're going to look shít any way with your wonky applied make-up. Plus those who paint their nails or spray perfume on the bus, Are you Having a Laugh??? :mad:

Some people might find wonky applied makeup a turn on! Its a bit of a specialty fetish of mine im afriad!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I usually don't mind sitting beside someone on the bus, but occasionally you get this complete weirdo and your stuck with him because the bus is full on a Friday afternoon :(.

I took a book out of my backpack and unwrapped it from the paper bag.
    The lad beside me: "JAYSUS THATS AN AWFULLY LOUD BAG YOU GOT THERE!?".

Me: "mmmm". Trying to ignore him

"Im only messin with ya!"

"Whats that book about!?"

me: Shrugs and ignore him again.

He then bends his head down and tries to read the title on the front of the book and starts muttering to himself.

Less than 20 seconds later he is in a deep loud snoring sleep.

Then his phone rings and I have to listen to him talking to his "mammy" about how he missed some hospital appointment or something and how he will be home soon. This lad was in his late 30's id say.

Also: Kavanaghs > Bus Eireann :pac:

haha that reminds me of the time i was waiting at the bus stop and there was a few waiting on the same bus with me! This freak was looking at the time table and had a back pack! He hit a girl with his bag and turned to say ohh sorry! That was fine but he didnt stop there! He went on to explain to the girl how he has trouble controlling his bag! He then proceeded to to scold the bag! Yes he was giving off and hitting the bag! Saying "bad bag bad bag! behave !" All the while trying to smack it he kept turning in circles trying to do this and looked like a dog chasing his tail!!
    Needless to say i waited for the next bus out of fear id end up beside him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I feel sorry for Bus Drivers, the amount of **** they have to put up with,
    and the level of ignorance and lack of manners some people have.

Knackers at the back, The weirdos with mental issues at the very front,
    the unmarried mothers that refuse to fold their buggies with the kids and the shopping taking over the foldable seat area, and all the gob****es either talking loudly on the phone or playing music on it as it nobody else on the bus exists. Pretty soon it will be halloween so they look forward to
    eggs being pelted at the bus.

here in little ol Limwreck we dont have fancy coin counting machines and machines that you can punch yer own ticket. The bus driver still sorts the change when you hand it to him. They still give you change too if you hand them more than what was required and as far as I can tell no matter what destination your going in the city its the same price.

It irritates me when I see people chatting on their mobile phones or wearing earphones while paying the bus driver. They will slap a few coins down without and even hello/please or thankyou and ignore the fact their is a human being behind the wheel if the bus, its just darn rude.

Earphones off, Phone off, interact with your driver with a simple hello/goodbye and give the poor fecker some form of pleasantry over the course of his/her working day.

~B

oh dear.

It's easy enough to figure out from the website, or at least it was before they changed it.
    Namlub wrote: »
    They do that on buses in Waterford?

I guess I just thought it might be like that in Dublin seeing as its a much bigger city with a large bus network. Its not like that in Waterford as far as I'm aware. It would be a good thing to have implemented though.
    Larianne wrote: »
    Stay in Waterford, thanks!

Nah boi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

I'm going to get some stick for this, but if you're obese you shouldn't sit beside someone else on the bus, wait until there's a free seat available downstairs.

Today I had the pleasure of sitting beisde an absolute mountain of a person, I was squashed against the glass for the majority of my journey.

Suprised how they managed to get up the stairs of the bus, now that I think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Wattle wrote: »
    Get a weekly or daily ticket. The only interaction you'll have will be with the ticket machine.

Also what is the deal with people crowding the aisles when there are seats available upstairs? :mad:

Because being honest, you're clearly going to get stabbed to death on the top deck of a Dublin Bus at 8 a.m on a Monday morning. For your own safety, it's best to stand, blocking the aisle and making passengers getting on later think the bus is full.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I sat beside an old guy once who whistled all the way from Heuston Station to Lucan.

It was a jaunty number, but by the time we got to Chapelizod I wanted to tear his face off.

And don't say 'why didn't you just politely ask him to stop?'. Well, that's not the way I do things. I'd rather repress my anger, then fantasise later about murdering him. It's the Irish way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Anyone sit in the front seat upstairs so they can pretend they're driving?

Obviously I don't, but I'd like to know if people do that sort of thing.

no ive never done that, EVER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Don't treat people offering any king of service like machines. It's very very arrogant and you wouldnt like it yourself if you would work at any kind of check out or on a bus or somewhere like this.
    Every time I see people on phone while at check out -handing money without any hello, thank you it makes me feel really sick. I just hate it!
    It is a PERSON sitting there all day, not a machine! Have some manners people.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

no ive never done that, EVER

Glad to hear it.

I also hope you've never used a Wagon Wheel as a pretend steering wheel when there's no one around.

Because that'd be really weird and childish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

last summer me and herself were on the 16 going southside. an oul lad got on at leonards corner and shat himself on the seat. the stench was peeling the paint off the walls of the bus

• Advertisement

Did they put gloves on just for "removing" her from that bus? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

i was thinking this thread would be more suited to C&T. but from reading the comments here it looks like all of you have a better sense of humor and are more civilized than those moany ****ers over there. jasus i just might get my passport and emigrate over here.:D

softmee wrote: »
    Did they put gloves on just for "removing" her from that bus? :eek:

I don't know about you but I'd want to put on more than a thin pair of latex gloves before touching that erm....person. I love the garda "ya fúckin cúnt ya! Cop the fúck on!". As if that was going to calm her :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Bus ****!

Ha ha ha!!

I don't know about you but I'd want to put on more than a thin pair of latex gloves before touching that erm....person. I love the garda "ya fúckin cúnt ya! Cop the fúck on!". As if that was going to calm her :D.

I think washing hand after would do. Cmon! You cant get infected with HIV or anything by touching someone. When I see MAN putting gloves on like that.. it's just silly.

Back to "bus manners", I just hate when :

-there are free double sits and someone sits beside me!
    -when 10 teenagers with speakers loud play awful music on the back! -its a nighmare
    -when they are running over all grannies to get the sits!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I dont think bus drivers have an easy job at the end of the day. Even if their the grumpy kind of driver they still apreciate a bit of courtesy. For all the talk about class in ireland the closest you can come to real class is having good manners.

I actually dont mind the bus the only thing that would bother me on a bus is a lack of manners. I dont like when people put their bags on the seat beside them on a full bus with people (especially old people) standing. It shows that some people think more of their bags than other people!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Hayte

Maybe you were using open back headphones and the driver could hear you listening to some abominable music that no right thinking person should ever be listening to, let alone broadcasting so the entire bus can hear in glorious hifi TREBLE.

I suppose thats still better than the people who don't even use headphones, opting instead to put their phone on speaker and fire up the most abominable happy hardcore ever. At that point it goes beyond etiquette and becomes about this: if you absolutely insist on podcasting hardcore from the back of the freaking bus, at least make it decent hardcore. Like Gabba Front Berlin. Not this pansy chipmunk crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭JaneLane

mikemac wrote: »
    And if it's Dublin Bus 78A you wave a battered piece of cardboard which is clearly a fake pass and then smoke and drink and annoy everyone :mad:

I'll gladly pay a surcharge to get STT on my bus

Worst bus in Dublin. Fact. And it's the only bus that goes to town to try and get away from the knack that's on it! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

hondasam wrote: »
    Hello, can I have a ticket please, thank you. take your seat.
    Where the **** do you get your bus from, an Enid Blyton book?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Original question already answered for ignorant OP.

Aons ago I was on a tram in San Francisco when a passenger started shouting abuse at the driver. The driver then announced that he would not be going any further until the passenger removed himself. The standoff lasted a few minutes until the clown alighted.

This is what should happen on buses here if someone is smoking or just generally being a nuisance to other passengers. Yes it would be a problem to begin with but after a while it would work. Also drivers, and I know its a stressful job, should make sure that nobody is standing if there are free seats.

Bus etiquette should be like office etiquette. Keep phone calls brief. Use your head. NOBODY wants to listen to you talking about any aspect of your life. Think of other people.

Music headphones were invented for a reason. So only YOU can hear the music not the rest of the world. Keep it down. Come to think of it there used to be adverts on bus stating same. Wonder what happened to them.

Do NOT do your make up or file your nails on the bus. That is disgusting and shows a lack of class and like above a complete lack of respect for your fellow passengers.

If you see an elderly person or a pregnant woman give them your seat.

In the winter do not open the windows. Yes this is obvious but again you would not believe the stupidity of some people.

All this is symptomatic of the lack of courtesy in society generally. Not everyone of course but it does go back to what is being taught to kids in schools. This could be nipped in the bud.

Advertisement