Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus etiquette?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

The most disgusting thing I ever saw on a bus was on the first Arthur's Day on a bus from Dun Laoghaire to Dublin City. A group of girls down the back were screaming and singing out of tune which was bad enough but then they started using their cans to urinate in. Absolutely no shame, in full view of everyone on the bus.

As foul and disgusting as that is, you can't help but admire the skill it takes for a drunk woman to accurately urinate into a can while on a moving bus.

Still awful though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

ya make me sick with your bleedin headphones your supposed to tell the driver where your going so the driver can print your destanation on the ticket but people these days are way off on other planets either txting or have headphones stuck in their lobes i mean reallyyyyyyyyyyy ahhhhhhh c ya l8r
    fasten your seat belts

maybe it was a ryanair airbus A320 and the captin was confused as he thought you should of booked online

[
    delta36 wrote: »
    As foul and disgusting as that is, you can't help but admire the skill it takes for a drunk woman to accurately urinate into a can while on a moving bus.

Still awful though.

I should have clarified that point, they were attempting to urinate into cans, they were not exactly successful. When we realised what was occurring we moved so perhaps their aim improved but there was a suspicious puddle forming around their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Another thing what wreaks my ceann* is people who sit beside me when theres a free seat in front/behind/across from me.

I was on a bus once (goin back yonks now i was about 19- im 26 now - so old ) and she sat beside me and i get uncomfortable sitting in one position so for the 3 hour journey i was crossing my legs at different angles every half an hour until she asked me to "stop shuffling"

I told her to sit in a different seat if she didnt like it, as i was in the seat first and she moved. Got evils across the aisle for the rest of the journey but i didnt care as i could shuffle away :)

*(stickn in a bitta the irish there to show how educated i am ):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Every day ur shufflin'!

Anyone sit in the front seat upstairs so they can pretend they're driving?

Obviously I don't, but I'd like to know if people do that sort of thing.
    aaaaa haaaaa you just want to know if others do it so you wont feel embaresed thinking you are the only one c'mon i bet you allways do it go on tell us ya naughty boy ya

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Generally I pay the fare below I'm meant to pay.
    EG, I need to go so many stops and it costs me €1.85. Instead I pay €1.65.

Also, please and thanks when you get your ticket and thank the driver again when you get off.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

BOHtox wrote: »

Also, please and thanks when you get your ticket and thank the driver again when you get off.
    Why not pay the extra 20 cent?.

Saila wrote: »
    it was because you didnt say happy holidays to her you evil woman, how PC are you ffs :pac:
    happy xmas pc my bleedin ass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

theres a recession on dont ya know-if they scab 20c a week from a bus fare they are saving 10.40 a year :eek:

thats 3 pints (kinda)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

'Cause that's how I roll!

Sooopie wrote: »
    When the bus is packed and you have a pig ignorant w*nker with their bag on the seat who looks the other way when you approach, and when you do finally get their attention, huff over with a face on them

I've been the person in the opposite situation loads of times. I get on, put my handbag leaning against me beside me on a completely empty bus. I look out the window and start falling asleep. Next thing I know, the bus has filled up and someone sits on my bag with a big huff out of them (almost always middle-aged + )! I would have moved it if they had just said "sorry can I sit there please?". I've said it to people before and they've never had a problem with moving their bag.

Can someone explain the make up thing to me? I've never put make up on in public (I pretty much never wear any anyway), but I don't know what's bad about it when other people do it, unless other passengers are so close that it's getting on them. Just wondering....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Can someone explain the make up thing to me? I've never put make up on in public (I pretty much never wear any anyway), but I don't know what's bad about it when other people do it, unless other passengers are so close that it's getting on them. Just wondering....

I personally don't see the big issue with this one either tbf :pac:. A friend of mine does hers on the LUAS most mornings, and has it down to a fine art to be able to apply make-up perfectly on moving public transport :P. I don't see how it affects any of the others on the bus/LUAS/train...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Stuck on a foggy stuffy bus with condensation dripping from the ceiling is one of the worst ways to pass the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

you should of said where you were going or the cost of the journey.

you could of been going a few stops, in which case the cost was less than 230

you might have been going all the way, maby that was more than 230

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I've been the person in the opposite situation loads of times. I get on, put my handbag leaning against me beside me on a completely empty bus. I look out the window and start falling asleep. Next thing I know, the bus has filled up and someone sits on my bag with a big huff out of them (almost always middle-aged + )! I would have moved it if they had just said "sorry can I sit there please?". I've said it to people before and they've never had a problem with moving their bag.

The bus fills up and you have to be asked to move your bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

The o.p. sounds like a muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jandm

The driver was really cheerful (how, at 8am I'll never know) and was saying "Good morning" to each person in turn.

He was probably working since 5:30 that morning and finishing in a couple of hours looking forward to a cuppa and a breakfast roll :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

or see if somebody can fly from the emergency exit upstairs or was that on the 77 :D

Yep the 77 :D

Something like 5 years ago now I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭maamom

Dya know what I hate.. when ya walk onto a bus eirreann bus and there is one person sitting in every double seat.. I am immediately struck with a feeling of awkwardness as I dont know who to sit beside and the worst of it is when you have made your decision and for the whole bus journey you cant help thinking that the person sitting beside you is wondering why me. :D

Gyalist wrote: »
    Bear in mind I don't get the bus regularly or during rush hour, and am at the first stop, so the bus is empty when I get on and I have no reason to expect it to fill up. I'm hardly going to keep a count of how many seats are behind me as people get on.

Is it that hard for people to talk to other people? I don't see the big deal in letting someone know you'd like the seat beside them. And shock horror, when I ask someone to move their bag, I even say thank you afterwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Women with excessive nasty chemical smells ... not nice.

Teenage boys with half can of Lynx but still not smelling as bad as the women ... why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

The o.p. sounds like a muppet.

gee, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

BOHtox wrote: »

What a polite thief you are. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

delta36 wrote: »
    The most disgusting thing I ever saw on a bus was on the first Arthur's Day on a bus from Dun Laoghaire to Dublin City. A group of girls down the back were screaming and singing out of tune which was bad enough but then they started using their cans to urinate in. Absolutely no shame, in full view of everyone on the bus.

Still awful though.
    Ya think that's bad a girl beside me stood up pulled her knickers down and went right on the seat then moved seats and goes to me ha someones gonna sit on that! There was steam coming off it an all

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

Another time a fella was fine combing his hair onto a newspaper beside me inspecting the comb an all I was horrified

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

jandm wrote: »
    He was probably working since 5:30 that morning and finishing in a couple of hours looking forward to a cuppa and a breakfast roll :p

Don't think so, the earliest bus on that route is 7am :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

pokertalk wrote: »
    Another time a fella was fine combing his hair onto a newspaper beside me inspecting the comb an all I was horrified

the stuff people get up on buses/darts etc. is unbelievable. i think because they think its early in the morning that they rest of us think we're still asleep not to notice their disgusting habits

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Gyalist wrote: »

Personally, I tend to spend bus journeys reading.
    I wasn't aware that it was my duty to keep constant count of all empty seats to ensure that there are enough for each new passenger....

Advertisement