Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus etiquette?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Larianne wrote: »
    I lived with a girl from Sligo in Sydney that came home amazed one day saying the school children were awful polite, saying Thank You to the bus driver getting off the bus. Never occurred to her that it was politeness and that most/some Irish people do it too. :cool:

Two little words please and thanks,some people cannot seem to manage to say them.
    I laugh when in the UK if you get a bus and say good morning, the driver looks at you as if you are a fruit cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Unique User Name

No such thing as the 77 now.

Well it's been a while since I lived on the south side. Assuming the 77a still exists, replace 77 with 77a in my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

hondasam wrote: »
    Two little words please and thanks,some people cannot seem to manage to say them.
    I laugh when in the UK if you get a bus and say good morning, the driver looks at you as if you are a fruit cake.

This happens to me in my college library. One librarian nearly choked on her Roses chocolate when I said Happy Christmas to her.

Kinda sad really, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

you are probably one of them ones that get into a taxi and don't say where you are going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

This happens to me in my college library. One librarian nearly choked on her Roses chocolate when I said Happy Christmas to her.

Kinda sad really, eh?

it was because you didnt say happy holidays to her you evil woman, how PC are you ffs :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Saila wrote: »
    it was because you didnt say happy holidays to her you evil woman, how PC are you ffs :pac:

Also, it was February.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I lived with a girl from Sligo in Sydney that came home amazed one day saying the school children were awful polite, saying Thank You to the bus driver getting off the bus. Never occurred to her that it was politeness and that most/some Irish people do it too. :cool:
    I was raised that way and my children are being raised the same.
    Its all about respect and politeness. If you have those two attributes to begin with, your on your way to being a much better, nicer responsible citizen. One our country can be proud of, at home or abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

o1s1n wrote: »
    On the subject of Bus etiquette (actually all transport etiquette)

What's the deal with people not knowing the personal space rule? If there are a **** load of free seats, why the hell did you just sit on the two seater right beside me?

Or if you're sitting beside me due to the bus being packed, and eventually two seaters free up all over the place, why haven't you moved? Are you lonely? Do you think because we're sitting beside each other that makes us friends?

Do what I do.

Hum the "Looney Tunes" theme tune while looking right at them with your eyes unfocused.

Guaranteed a good chunk of the bus will be yours within minutes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

mikemac wrote: »
    And if it's Dublin Bus 78A you wave a battered piece of cardboard which is clearly a fake pass and then smoke and drink and annoy everyone :mad:

I'll gladly pay a surcharge to get STT on my bus

Ah, the 78A is harmless...

..as long as you don't touch anything or breathe in :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

as has been said, tell him where you're goin or how much you're paying. He's not there to read minds. A please and thanks is also just basic manners.

Also, speaking of bus etiquette. Turn your earphones down. I HATE having to listen to other peoples thinny music at full level. Wrecks my head! And don't have a private phone conversation on a packed bus.

Bus etiquette

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

What's the deal with people not knowing the personal space rule? If there are a **** load of free seats, why the hell did you just sit on the two seater right beside me?

Or if you're sitting beside me due to the bus being packed, and eventually two seaters free up all over the place, why haven't you moved? Are you lonely? Do you think because we're sitting beside each other that makes us friends?

Just smile your best smile and tap the seat beside you repeatedly. No one will sit beside you ever again

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

That's an interesting one.

I'll usually move to the free two-seater, but then inwardly worry that the person I was sitting beside is wondering what was so wrong with them that I had to move away at the first opportunity.

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Kinda sad really, eh?

Well to be fair to her it was the middle of July :pac:

Manners cost nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

I was on a bus last week , had not been on a bus in about 2 years.Was travelling from Waterford to Tipp so sat on the bus with my ipod in and this man behind me starts having a conversation on his mobile and i could hear him through the i pod- he had some gob

The bus was packed and he telling the person on the phone how many people were on the bus, describing them etc. Then the "i miss you cookie bear" crap started. I got off the bus 2 stops early and called a friend for a lift- couldnt listen to that **** any more!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Saila wrote: »
    beerbaron wrote: »
    Also, it was February.
    kfallon wrote: »
    Well to be fair to her it was the middle of July :pac:

Manners cost nothing!

Yes, yes yes.

People who do their make-up on the bus really annoy me. I mean, why bother? You're going to look shít any way with your wonky applied make-up. Plus those who paint their nails or spray perfume on the bus, Are you Having a Laugh??? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Yes, yes yes.

People who do their make-up on the bus really annoy me. I mean, why bother? You're going to look shít any way with your wonky applied make-up. Plus those who paint their nails or spray perfume on the bus, Are you Having a Laugh??? :mad:

This is ok if they've just farted tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Conway635 wrote: »

I'll usually move to the free two-seater, but then inwardly worry that the person I was sitting beside is wondering what was so wrong with them that I had to move away at the first opportunity.

C635

The above is okay if you're moving to a free two seater. However, if it's just one free seat, which someone is already sitting beside, then that's cause for concern.

I've had that happen a few times. One guy stood up on a train and walked to another seat beside someone else. Funny thing was it was facing me. Which he didn't seem to cop until he sat down and I was staring back at him with a puzzled face.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Conway635 wrote: »

C635

Or there's the soul-crushing scenario of sitting beside someone only for them to move to another two-seater which already has someone sitting there. That happened to me once, and it hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Well it's been a while since I lived on the south side. Assuming the 77a still exists, replace 77 with 77a in my post.
    77a is still om, and the 77 is only gone a few weeks. I was more saying it to let people know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

BUS ****!!!

I'm a bus wanker too. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Get a weekly or daily ticket. The only interaction you'll have will be with the ticket machine.

Also what is the deal with people crowding the aisles when there are seats available upstairs? :mad:

Or there's the soul-crushing scenario of sitting beside someone only for them to move to another two-seater which already has someone sitting there. That happened to me once, and it hurt.
    It was only after you put your hand on her leg though :D

Wattle wrote: »
    Get a weekly or daily ticket. The only interaction you'll have will be with the ticket machine.

Also what is the deal with people crowding the aisles when there are seats available upstairs? :mad:
    More times than not the upstairs is full of flutebags..

OP, you've got to either say where you're going or say how much you've put in.

With regards to the sitting beside each other thing (I'm more of a DART person but it's pretty much the same etiquette), I'll always sit in the least filled spot, like everyone else has said, and if I'm sitting in a set of four seats with one other person I'll sit diagonally from them so we both have leg room, but if I have to sit beside someone I don't move away when space frees up.

You're a person, and you don't smell too bad, so I'm staying put. If you have some sort of aversion towards people, you can always move away from me. I understand giving people space when possible, but I don't think it's a priority to always be as far away from others as possible. Maybe it's because DART journeys are shorter than bus journeys or something, but it's pretty common from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

listermint wrote: »
    Its usual practice to tell him where you are going so he can decide if your ticket needs change printed on it.......

No it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Interesting one about moving once another two seater becomes available. I too wonder if the person I'm beside will feel sad that I've abandoned them. But theres the other thing. I'm sitting beside someone and there are no problems. A free two seater appears, I move. Then a couple of stops later some eejit/nutjob/personal space ignorer gets on and sits beside me. Maybe I should have stayed put. Better the devil you know and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Hate when a group of people, usually boys get on and instead of sitting together, because that's like totally gay, they all sit in separate rows in the same general vicinity then sit there shouting across at each other and block the aisle with their legs. Bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I usually don't mind sitting beside someone on the bus, but occasionally you get this complete weirdo and your stuck with him because the bus is full on a Friday afternoon :(.

I took a book out of my backpack and unwrapped it from the paper bag.
    The lad beside me: "JAYSUS THATS AN AWFULLY LOUD BAG YOU GOT THERE!?".

Me: "mmmm". Trying to ignore him

"Im only messin with ya!"

"Whats that book about!?"

me: Shrugs and ignore him again.

He then bends his head down and tries to read the title on the front of the book and starts muttering to himself.

Less than 20 seconds later he is in a deep loud snoring sleep.

Then his phone rings and I have to listen to him talking to his "mammy" about how he missed some hospital appointment or something and how he will be home soon. This lad was in his late 30's id say.

Also: Kavanaghs > Bus Eireann :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

Fbjm wrote: »
    I don't get buses often, but from my limited experience, what is expected of me (the customer) is to drop €2.30 into the slot thing and the driver prints me my ticket.

So I got on a bus just five minutes ago with my earphones plugged in, got €2.30 out of my wallet and dropped it into the slot. The driver looked at me questioningly. I took my earphones out to hear what he wanted to say, but all he did was continue staring quizzically at me. I tentatively uttered "eh... €2.30?" he shrugged and printed me my ticket.

What did he want from me? :confused:
    what is expected of you is "to state your fare and destination to the driver as stated on the yellow plate at the fare box. i get it all the time. you want a bit of respect from us so please show us a bit of courtesy and take those damn ear phones out. ohhh by the way we dont sell children or adults either. that is for those of you that ask for a child or adult.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

The bus was packed and he telling the person on the phone how many people were on the bus, describing them etc. Then the "i miss you cookie bear" crap started. I got off the bus 2 stops early and called a friend for a lift- couldnt listen to that **** any more!!!:mad:

no recession in your house, wha!
    Yes, yes yes.

many women file their nails too. :mad:
    Wattle wrote: »

A lot of people do this and it pisses me right off. the only reason I'm ever standing besides when there's no seats is because I'm off at the next stop or one after. People don't seem to realise how much they're in the way when they do this.
    cocoshovel wrote: »
    I usually don't mind sitting beside someone on the bus, but occasionally you get this complete weirdo and your stuck with him because the bus is full on a Friday afternoon :(.

I took a book out of my backpack and unwrapped it from the paper bag.
    The lad beside me: "JAYSUS THATS AN AWFULLY LOUD BAG YOU GOT THERE!?".

Me: "mmmm". Trying to ignore him

"Im only messin with ya!"

"Whats that book about!?"

me: Shrugs and ignore him again.

He then bends his head down and tries to read the title on the front of the book and starts muttering to himself.

Less than 20 seconds later he is in a deep loud snoring sleep.

Then his phone rings and I have to listen to him talking to his "mammy" about how he missed some hospital appointment or something and how he will be home soon. This lad was in his late 30's id say.

Also: Kavanaghs > Bus Eireann :pac:

It's possible there was something wrong with him mentally by the sound of it.

and Kavanaghs buses / journeys are a million times better than bus eireann.

Advertisement