Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus etiquette?

Options
  • 17-10-2011 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

I don't get buses often, but from my limited experience, what is expected of me (the customer) is to drop €2.30 into the slot thing and the driver prints me my ticket.

So I got on a bus just five minutes ago with my earphones plugged in, got €2.30 out of my wallet and dropped it into the slot. The driver looked at me questioningly. I took my earphones out to hear what he wanted to say, but all he did was continue staring quizzically at me. I tentatively uttered "eh... €2.30?" he shrugged and printed me my ticket.

What did he want from me? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Probably wanted you to at least pretend to interact with him, rather than just throwing your money in and expecting him to be telepathic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Fbjm wrote: »

Please or thank you would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,772 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its usual practice to tell him where you are going so he can decide if your ticket needs change printed on it.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Maybe he was lonely?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭awesom_o

Usually, I take one earphone out and drop the coins in, stating how much I'm paying.

I don't know if this is the case, but on older buses, the coin slot doesn't count your change so you have to say it to the bus driver. I don't know though, just a theory.. I'm probably wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to rename this thread "Earphones Etiquette"?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

Ehh.. More than likely wanted to hear where you wanted to go and make sure you were paying the right fare? bus fare dodgers. rife.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Bus ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

* In Country Voice*

"Stand Clear Luggage Doors Operating"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

you were rude and expected him to be telepathic and you're complaining...?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

Maybe you've a big dirty snot hanging outta your nose and he was trying to tell you but you were too rude by having the earphones in, in the first place so he thought meh, and shrugged. Id go look in the mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I don't get buses often, but from my limited experience, what is expected of me (the customer) is to drop €2.30 into the slot thing and the driver prints me my ticket.

So I got on a bus just five minutes ago with my earphones plugged in, got €2.30 out of my wallet and dropped it into the slot. The driver looked at me questioningly. I took my earphones out to hear what he wanted to say, but all he did was continue staring quizzically at me. I tentatively uttered "eh... €2.30?" he shrugged and printed me my ticket.

Hello, can I have a ticket please, thank you. take your seat.
    He cannot read your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

You should have taken off your headphones and said 2.30 please from the start, this is the ignorance of being a podestrian:rolleyes:...

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Unique User Name

It depends on which bus it was. If you're in Dublin and it was a 77, he was probably expecting you to charge past him with a joint in your hand. Actually paying may have taken him by surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

maybe it wasnt a bus and you just surprised the hell out of a van driver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Manners you inbred!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

hondasam wrote: »
    Hello, can I have a ticket please, thank you. take your seat.
    He cannot read your mind.
    well now, i'd say it was pretty obvious what he wanted...

having said that, i used to work in a rural bar, and you'd have lads comming in, not acknowledging you, having a chat with the other old lads, then five, ten minutes, maybe even half an hour later giving out because i hadnt got their pint filled...

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭starch4ser

i usually fire a load of coppers into it, nowhere near the actual fare and tell the driver the fare, some time 30 or 40 coins, bit of a nightmare to expect the guy to count it all up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There are different fares, you don't just drop in the money
    You tell the driver what you are paying

A please or thank you to the driver wouldn't kill you either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

well now, i'd say it was pretty obvious what he wanted...

having said that, i used to work in a rural bar, and you'd have lads comming in, not acknowledging you, having a chat with the other old lads, then five, ten minutes, maybe even half an hour later giving out because i hadnt got their pint filled...

It's nice to be nice, a bit of common courtesy goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

hondasam wrote: »
    It's nice to be nice, a bit of common courtesy goes a long way.

I lived with a girl from Sligo in Sydney that came home amazed one day saying the school children were awful polite, saying Thank You to the bus driver getting off the bus. Never occurred to her that it was politeness and that most/some Irish people do it too. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

You need to indicate to the driver either where you are going or what ticket your are purchasing i.e "€2.30, please" or "City Centre please".

After you retrieve your ticket, "bus etiquette" would be to say thanks to the driver and then take your seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Anyone sit in the front seat upstairs so they can pretend they're driving?

Obviously I don't, but I'd like to know if people do that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

And if it's Dublin Bus 78A you wave a battered piece of cardboard which is clearly a fake pass and then smoke and drink and annoy everyone :mad:

I'll gladly pay a surcharge to get STT on my bus

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

It depends on which bus it was. If you're in Dublin and it was a 77, he was probably expecting you to charge past him with a joint in your hand. Actually paying may have taken him by surprise.
    No such thing as the 77 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

On the subject of Bus etiquette (actually all transport etiquette)

What's the deal with people not knowing the personal space rule? If there are a **** load of free seats, why the hell did you just sit on the two seater right beside me?

Or if you're sitting beside me due to the bus being packed, and eventually two seaters free up all over the place, why haven't you moved? Are you lonely? Do you think because we're sitting beside each other that makes us friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

-Kenny- wrote: »
    * In Country Voice*

"Stand Clear Luggage Doors Operating"

Just for you:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

I love threads where the OP gets ripped to shreds.

Always a good laugh.

Advertisement