Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

God I always hated Instore, of course my heart goes out to anyone losing a job, but that shop was just ludicrous price tags on very average furniture which was presented immaculately (sp?) in order to convince people to hand over their bank card.

- Still, I'm sure the local suppliers of the €900 table lamp complete with pebbles and pot pourri are a significant loss to the City as a whole.....

P.S. I remember an ex-employee hit the headlines a few years back for embezzlement/or till theft etc, bet they feel bad now?????

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Is Flanagans(Still House) bar gone? Passed a few times and it appears to be closed

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

jsd1004 wrote: »
    Is Flanagans(Still House) bar gone? Passed a few times and it appears to be closed
    its been closed for the last 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

jsd1004 wrote: »

It was open last time I passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

eyebrows63 wrote: »
    its been closed for the last 3 weeks

I noticed that too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Yes they are closed. Financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭adaminho

bigpink wrote: »
    The Gay Bar is gone or going to be in the next week or so

Some dj from Mickeys&Bakers is taking it over

The gay bar is not closing. Jon is opening the upstairs bar separately as a kind of coffee shop/bar.

adaminho wrote: »

The gay bar is not closing. Jon is opening the upstairs bar separately as a kind of coffee shop/bar.

That is not 100% correct. The top floor is to be a chill out type cocktail bar. I put my reputation on it. Same ltd ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mixie2me

31 Thomas St isn't closing down...this is just a rumour....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

Just passed down Cruises St and Bennetton is cleared out. Nothing at all on display and all the shelves stacked down the back of the shop. Did anyone hear anything ?

• Advertisement

Just passed down Cruises St and Bennetton is cleared out. Nothing at all on display and all the shelves stacked down the back of the shop. Did anyone hear anything ?

Saw a sign about winter clearance but there's a clearance and then there's a 'clearance'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Serrano has been closed last week and this week and the place across the road that used to be French connection is also closed. Presuming both are gone. Ladbrokes on Parnell and Davis st due to close too.

Motorzone on the dock road has gone now.

O'Mara motors have lost their Toyota Franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Beer Baron wrote: »

I thought Moloneys were in there? Or was there two seperate dealerships operating in that one spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Wow they've had that a long time.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Wow they've had that a long time.

They'd tell you they are still Toyota because they are moving back out to the Ennis Road but will only be servicing Toyota's.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

God, it is so depressing to read through this thread. Businesses are closing everywhere given the recession but Limerick, and its city centre in particular, seems to be in a league of its own - it's sad to see the city dying.

The city council are going to have to come up with some radical proposals if they want to save what's left of the city centre.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The city council are going to hVe to come up wuth some radical proposals if they want to save what's left of the city centre.

A major obstacle is getting finance for any business venture and as anybody can tell you, unless you know yourself, the banks are not helpful these days.

The problem is supply and demand. There is no supply because:

People have no jobs = having no money = inability to purchase = shops being quiet = shops unable to continue to trade because there is no demand = closing said shop = no more supply = staff and owner unemployed = problem of more unemployed people from situation 1 affecting a whole new situation for the next shop which is also quiet.

What do we need? We need more demand not more supply. Demand can only be provided by having liquid assets in consumers pockets and this can only happen by those people having a solid wage and secure future.

People with money in their pockets(not necessarily flush - earning a wage) just like me are afraid to make large purchases like a new TV, Oven(which I need), holiday because you might not have a job in a few months(for a multitude of reasons - many supply and demand).

But to get people to demand a product we need more jobs and a stable economy. We can only get this from people having jobs which produce something for export, cloud services, multitude of IT services(Paypal, Mastercard, Twitter, Facebook), Whiskey(up 25% currently) etc etc.

Create consumer confidence and this will stimulate spending and growth. Simples. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 chillichick

following this thread a while now.
    I work in the city centre and have been for the last 8 years really just cant get over the demise of the city centre and how it has just been left to rot. every week when i go out on my lunch and see another shop closed it is very sad.tourists come into work and ask is that it in the centre to see and do.
    people have said time and time again what is needed for the city centre but nobody is listening in the council.I dont think the centre can be saved which is scary because I work there!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

following this thread a while now.
    I work in the city centre and have been for the last 8 years really just cant get over the demise of the city centre and how it has just been left to rot. every week when i go out on my lunch and see another shop closed it is very sad.tourists come into work and ask is that it in the centre to see and do.
    people have said time and time again what is needed for the city centre but nobody is listening in the council.I dont think the centre can be saved which is scary because I work there!:(

The Council are, thanks to their draconian pursuit of traders for rates, responsibile in no small way for the demise of the city centre.

And considering they don't have any actual powers, you'd have to ask if the huge sums paid out to our 17 Councillors wasn't put to better use elsewhere (something like €25k per head, per annum plus expenses :eek: with the Mayor on a six figure "salary") by doing away with that ineffective talking shop.

Of course, the money saved would not in itself "save" the city centre, but at least it might help reduce the burden on those trying to make a living there in the hope that at some stage a revitalisation programme can be put in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

JupiterKid wrote: »
    God, it is so depressing to read through this thread. Businesses are closing everywhere given the recession but Limerick, and its city centre in particular, seems to be in a league of its own - it's sad to see the city dying.

The city council are going to have to come up with some radical proposals if they want to save what's left of the city centre.

Willie O Dea has suddenly realised the area needs IDA jobs. Pity the penny drop when he was in government during the celtic tiger era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Brian Geary has got that franchise and he's opening in Kilroy's old garage in Raheen, they are looking for people at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Just passed mr Simms, all the branding is gone from the shop front and they're clearing out the windows. I hope they're not gone and just redecorating but it doesn't look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

source wrote: »
    Just passed mr Simms, all the branding is gone from the shop front and they're clearing out the windows. I hope they're not gone and just redecorating but it doesn't look good.

I'm not surprised to be honest. They were charging double the price you'd pay in a local corner shop for a lot of their stock.

source wrote: »

I noticed that actually. Saw they had painted the beige parts red.

Could be just a Franchise decision many folks make. Lease the franchise and get the customer base, the computer systems, files and training how to run a business and then kick the franchise to the kerb and run the business with all profits to yourself and the tax man.

There are numerous Mr Simms clones all over the country. Easy business model to copy once you know the basics.

always sorry to hear another business close in the city but Mr Simms was always a bit of a novelty for people when it opened.
    Lovely inside but exactly as said was very expensive for normal chewy bars and sweets.

I remember first day it opened a Que from moody cows into mr simms and the other way around. places like that id say would do well in the crescent where they have the younger school crowd like the comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

They get loads more schools there rather then one in the cresent, such as: St. Clements, Scoil Carmel, Laurel Hill, CBS, Ard Scoil, Geal Colaiste, Salesions and I'm sure I'm forgetting some more too.

• Advertisement

Get what your saying about more schools in the city but they just dont seem to hang around town like they do in the crescent.

But what ever its another business closed cant wait for the day they say recessions over no more people loosing their jobs haha.We can only dream

Advertisement