Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Derbhoy

Ah yea in general it's disappointing for the region for Shannon and Limerick. The hotel will be fine I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Derbhoy wrote: »
    Ah yea in general it's disappointing for the region for Shannon and Limerick. The hotel will be fine I would imagine.

It's only the flight crew who got off, no passengers could leave the plane. A loss to some businesses but not the region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Kuwaiti Airlines pulled out of Shannon Airport with immediate effect that's 18 bedrooms occupied 365 days of the year in the Absolute Hotel not to mention the transport contracts from Limerick to Shannon.

"pulled out with immediate effect" is overdramatising it a bit. Its not a shock. The arrangement was only ever temporary until they got JFK sorted.

No notice was given to any party be it Shannon Hotel etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Berty wrote: »
    It's only the flight crew who got off, no passengers could leave the plane. A loss to some businesses but not the region.

So they would fly from Kuwait to Shannon and then disembark, stay in Limerick and fly back to Kuwait on the flight from JFK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

So they would fly from Kuwait to Shannon and then disembark, stay in Limerick and fly back to Kuwait on the flight from JFK?
    they would fly to jfk & that crew would rest until the next day then.

No notice was given to any party be it Shannon Hotel etc

even the flight crew didnt know they werent getting off till 20 mins before they were supposed to land

Contract was signed March 2018 by Kuwaiti Airlines guaranteeing 18 months continuous use of Shannon so they reneged after 9 months maybe they had a bit out clause !

Contract was signed March 2018 by Kuwaiti Airlines guaranteeing 18 months continuous use of Shannon so they reneged after 9 months maybe they had a bit out clause !

They were always weird airline anyway to deal with. if there is a goverment shutdown in the states how did they get clearance like that.??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

They were always weird airline anyway to deal with. if there is a goverment shutdown in the states how did they get clearance like that.??

It's a partial shutdown.

• Advertisement

davo2001 wrote: »
    It's a partial shutdown.

The Tsa are not getting paid anyway & inspectors are not allowed travel cause their expenses wont be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Not sure how others are finding it, maybe it's just me - but walking and driving around town the last few weeks there seems to be more places closing or empty units to my mind.

Bit worrying in a so-called resurgence of the economy - what'll it be like if things go tits up again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

leakyboots wrote: »
    Not sure how others are finding it, maybe it's just me - but walking and driving around town the last few weeks there seems to be more places closing or empty units to my mind.

Bit worrying in a so-called resurgence of the economy - what'll it be like if things go tits up again?

It'll potentially spiral. The more units closing, the less people will go into the city centre leading to more businesses closing. Repeat.

I doubt the council have the ability to turn it around.

Debenhams is constantly in the news too and only yesterday they mentioned more store closures. AFAIK, Debenhams Ireland and Debenhams plc are technically different companies but it’s still worrying when it occupies one of the city centre’s larger buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

It'll get worse because the city council has no plan going forward for retail, and until an area in town is redeveloped for modern retail nothing is going to change. The Opera site will not make a jot of a difference to the retail landscape either. Also, both landlords and estate agents in Limerick City are still living in cuckoo land. They seem to think that some major revival is around the corner and have set their asking rents accordingly. There are empty units in town, that have been empty for 2/3/4 years now, where the landlord is quoting rents of €45k, when in reality the unit is only worth about €20k, and even that is debatable. Retailers won't pay that kind of money anymore due to the fall in footfall in the high street in general, never mind in Limerick City where it's even worse.

There are only so many coffee shops, restaurants and pubs that the city can take. We've probably reached peak on all three, and inevitably some will not survive. The city needs to sort out its retail issue but nobody in the council has a clue. The redevelopment of the area from Arthurs Quay to Dunnes on Sarsfield Street should be the next major priority after Opera, not the Cleeves site. And they should already have that ball well rolling by now. By the time our council get around to it god only knows what state retail will be in the city :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Townie_P wrote: »
    The redevelopment of the area from Arthurs Quay to Dunnes on Sarsfield Street should be the next major priority after Opera, not the Cleeves site. And they should already have that ball well rolling by now. By the time our council get around to it god only knows what state retail will be in the city :rolleyes:

Except that the only bit of that that the council owns is Arthurs Quay Park. Dunnes especially will fight tooth and nail not to relinquish their site. They council can't make plans for buildings that they don't own. The reason that Cleeves is next is that they own the whole site.

And more city center jobs from the Opera development and residential from Cleeves will lead to more people in the city center and more retail to serve them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Deffo agree was talking with someone and they said they felt the city recovered and grew back a bit from 2013 on but 2018 it has slowed hugely even falling again

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Was it ever proposed to 'roof' Cruises St similar to the Milk Market? The Milk Market was transformed by the works.

Was it ever proposed to 'roof' Cruises St similar to the Milk Market? The Milk Market was transformed by the works.

Would be a simple cheap idea

What would it achieve though? You could stay dry while you pass all the empty shops?

• Advertisement

What would it achieve though? You could stay dry while you pass all the empty shops?

I get ya with empty shops but long term it would be good
    Better spend than all these fashion and market quarters

bigpink wrote: »
    I get ya with empty shops but long term it would be good
    Better spend than all these fashion and market quarters

I think it needs more than a roof. I would support the idea of a roof but it would be need to part of a wider redevelopment scheme. Something like Victoria Square in Belfast but on a smaller scale obviously.

Most units on Cruises St currently two stories. Could definitely increase building height in line with Georgian buildings.

I think it needs more than a roof. I would support the idea of a roof but it would be need to part of a wider redevelopment scheme. Something like Victoria Square in Belfast but on a smaller scale obviously.

Most units on Cruises St currently two stories. Could definitely increase building height in line with Georgian buildings.

Yeah deffo make Cruises street a non chain street

Putting a roof on any public street in Limerick (or any city) is a recipe for disaster realistically unless its closed off at night or has security of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Except that the only bit of that that the council owns is Arthurs Quay Park. Dunnes especially will fight tooth and nail not to relinquish their site. They council can't make plans for buildings that they don't own. The reason that Cleeves is next is that they own the whole site.
    Isn't that the very problem though? The council should be at the stage now where they are ready to CPO Dunnes. Not starting out on that road. The gun should have been put to Dunnes head years ago. The council should also have a full detailed plan centred on retail for the whole area - I believe the Tiernans who own Arthurs Quay are open to discussing any new development in the area. But the council have sat on their hands. All that should be at an advanced stage.

The Opera site is great for office/services and education, and the regeneration of that block, but will make little difference to retail. People who are at work all day are not in the shops shopping. A lot of office workers do not even leave their building for lunch. This is the very problem the city currently has where people come in to work and they're gone again at half five. Meanwhile there's no footfall in the shops because it's actual shoppers and visitors that are supposed to provide that, not office workers.
    And more city center jobs from the Opera development and residential from Cleeves will lead to more people in the city center and more retail to serve them.
    There won't be any more retail to serve them because there is nowhere for them to go. No big multiples or chains are going to open in the city in pokey units that are falling apart from the first floor up. I've been inside pretty much every empty unit in the city centre and the state of disrepair in most of them is a sight to behold. The type of retail the city centre needs is fashion retail as that's the ultimate driver. But there will not be any H&M, Zara, Pull & Bear, Topshop, Bershka etc opening in the city because the standard of units they require simply do not exist. Limerick needs to do what was done in Cork, Leeds and Liverpool city centres. Until they do similar, threads like this one will have a healthy lifespan in them yet.

As for Cruises Street, in truth it needs to be razed to the ground and redeveloped. The problem it has now is that the rents being requested are that of prime retail units, when in reality the units are past their sell by date and the street itself is beset by anti-social problems and has earned itself a bad reputation. Those empty units are going to be there for a while because no retailer in their right mind will pay those rents in the current climate. The council also need to have a look at the rates they are charging because in a lot of cases it's hard to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,894 ✭✭✭✭phog

A side street in Berlin - Cruises street could look great with something like this

DKPPxl3WkAE9hdK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CONSI

phog wrote: »
    A side street in Berlin - Cruises street could look great with something like this

DKPPxl3WkAE9hdK.jpg

Lots of London streets like this aswell, especially down near London bridge, either that or Cruises street should try to become a Kildare village type street, loads of outlet stores...

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

From the limerick post last month. The idea is a bit more thought out as it would cover public transport connections up to and including retail areas

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2019/01/03/it-would-be-a-great-little-city-if-we-could-put-a-roof-on-it/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭sioda

Any chance we can move this to the city development thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭adaminho

Badass Burritos are closing on the 31st of January. Will still be available on Uber eats.

Advertisement