Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I never tried them either but hate seeing businesses close

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

They obiviously didnt think it through then just wanted to jump on the vegan bandwagon while it was going.
    I believe both the Old Firestation and the Underdog were opened by Kevin Kiely Jnr. He apparently had his differences with his business partners in the OFS so took the decision to part ways and open the Underdog. He's a vegan himself afaik, so all things considered I don't think you could accuse him of not thinking it through or jumping on a bandwagon. He's just been unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Limerick91

I swore never to go to the Underdog when I saw the same person having a smoke outside and flicked the cigarette butt onto the ground. He might not want to eat meat but littering for me is a big no no

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Food was nice in the Underdog but the menu holders were a lot heavier than they needed to be pieces of wood. Just seemed out of place in a vegan restaurant. You’d imagine they’d be more eco friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Food was nice in the Underdog but the menu holders were a lot heavier than they needed to be pieces of wood. Just seemed out of place in a vegan restaurant. You’d imagine they’d be more eco friendly.

Ya that's what put me off going there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Huh? Is wood not environmentally friendly now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Underdog it is too dark and industrial in there not relaxing or cosy
    I had coffee there a few times good idea but it didn’t draw people in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

The Underdog must have had one of the shortest lifespans of a Limerick business in a while, was it not opened only last summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

keane2097 wrote: »
    Huh? Is wood not environmentally friendly now?

It is but these were two thick pieces of wood. Seemed excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The Underdog must have had one of the shortest lifespans of a Limerick business in a while, was it not opened only last summer?

I thought that honour was reserved for the coffee hut that went into Funky Donuts.

I remember when FD opened first, they were selling out! But the price of their donuts were a lot to be desired, as well as not being very good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

They obiviously didnt think it through then just wanted to jump on the vegan bandwagon while it was going.

I certainly don’t think veganism is a fad but the whole movement can be nauseating. I was in a vegan restaurant in Ennis and had to sit through my meal listening to two women discuss why they’re so ****ing great for eating there. I just want to eat and enjoy myself.

Went to the Underdog a few weeks back with the intention of trying their teas or coffees and similar discussions could be heard outside. Went to Starbucks instead.

Mc Love wrote: »
    I thought that honour was reserved for the coffee hut that went into Funky Donuts.

I remember when FD opened first, they were selling out! But the price of their donuts were a lot to be desired, as well as not being very good.

Yep. Crap donuts. Couldn’t understand how they lasted at that price for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Yep. Crap donuts. Couldn’t understand how they lasted at that price for so long.

Whoever was behind it was great at social media. Telling people that they were sold out every day made regular folk think they must be good and really popular which in turn, brings more business. That model only works for so long until people cop on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

I certainly don’t think veganism is a fad but the whole movement can be nauseating. I was in a vegan restaurant in Ennis and had to sit through my meal listening to two women discuss why they’re so ****ing great for eating there. I just want to eat and enjoy myself.

Went to the Underdog a few weeks back with the intention of trying their teas or coffees and similar discussions could be heard outside. Went to Starbucks instead.

There isn't enough vegans in Limerick to make a premises with those overheads work. For normal people the grub is expensive and you still come away hungry. They could surely have sourced a cheaper unit and vegans would have gone there regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Treepole wrote: »
    There isn't enough vegans in Limerick to make a premises with those overheads work. For normal people the grub is expensive and you still come away hungry. They could surely have sourced a cheaper unit and vegans would have gone there regardless.

That was kind of my point why get a big unit when u could have got a smaller one & expand to the bigger one when the business got better besides going with a bigger one & closing then leaving some suppliers stung.

Thats kind of proving my point though ''Look @ me'' type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

It is but these were two thick pieces of wood. Seemed excessive.

Think of the wood as you are cutting it up. Just because you can't hear it shreek...

Passed The Under Dog today, a van outside taking stuff from restaurant and some window signage being removed.

Never like seeing a business close. Less reason for people to go to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Derbhoy

Ardnacrusha Post office closed for the forseeable future. All claimants directed to go to the Bridge St post office in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Until sufficient volumes of people live in the city centre and/or the transport links into it are excellent then retail in the city will struggle along. Restricting suburban shopping centres will have some impact. It will make the suburbs less appealing to live in. Building shiny office blocks will have an effect to a point, because a percentage of the workers will choose to live in the city, but it's risky and not a solution on its own. There isn't even a plan to address the residential deficit or the transport mess. The best solution they can come up with is the 150 million euro northern distributor road, and that will ultimately do more harm to the city because it will lead to more suburban development, more people choosing to live on the outskirts, more development of the periphery, while not addressing access into and out of the centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

zulutango wrote: »
    Until sufficient volumes of people live in the city centre and/or the transport links into it are excellent then retail in the city will struggle along. Restricting suburban shopping centres will have some impact. It will make the suburbs less appealing to live in. Building shiny office blocks will have an effect to a point, because a percentage of the workers will choose to live in the city, but it's risky and not a solution on its own. There isn't even a plan to address the residential deficit or the very transport mess. The best solution they can come up with is the 150 million euro northern distributor road, and that will ultimately do more harm to the city because it will lead to more suburban development, more people choosing to live on the outskirts, more development of the periphery, while not addressing access into and out of the centre.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see traffic or transport as a major issue in limerick, particularly the city centre or access to it. Limerick is one of the better cities in that regard imo. I find getting around limerick a breeze tbh. It had its blackspots, but not many really.

I'd probably be living in town if I could buy a decent two bed apartment with parking, decent balcony and good sized rooms, for a reasonable price.... Traffic or access isn't a concern. Problem is there are next to no good apartments apart from the strand and they are expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

tototoe wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't see traffic or transport as a major issue in limerick, particularly the city centre or access to it. Limerick is one of the better cities in that regard imo. I find getting around limerick a breeze tbh. It had its blackspots, but not many really.

Think of it from a retailer's perspective. He/she depends on footfall. Try and increase the footfall in Limerick city centre to make it a viable retail centre. How do you do it? If everybody is driving in, then it's going to be low footfall because the city can't handle a large volume of cars. There's a natural limit, and it's not high. The challenge is to get large numbers of people in and out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Passed The Under Dog today, a van outside taking stuff from restaurant and some window signage being removed.

Never like seeing a business close. Less reason for people to go to town.

This place is definitely gone ya ?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

dashoonage wrote: »
    This place is definitely gone ya ?

Ya it's definitely gone. Pass it a couple times a week. Most of the stuff is gone from inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Derbhoy wrote: »
    I know it's co Clare but Wood & Bell restaurant Killaloe closing 23rd Feb announced via FB page . Lovely spot popular with Limerick folk v high brow menu price wise hard to sustain in the Winter.
    davo2001 wrote: »
    Bear in mind its only the restaurant upstairs that is closing (by the look of the post anyways), the cafe and wine bar downstairs will remain open.

thats closed this week, apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

fryup wrote: »
    thats closed this week, apparently

Yeah apparently they decided to close everything in the end, pity, it was a nice place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Is it true that today was the last day of trading for the old fire station? Please say it is not so!

panda100 wrote: »
    Is it true that today was the last day of trading for the old fire station? Please say it is not so!

says feck all about it if it is on their facebook page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

says feck all about it if it is on their facebook page

Post just went up today.

Advertisement