Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Berty wrote: »
    Depends who "they" are. There are multiple companies and private business owners along with the council and very unlikely there would be joined up plans.

The premise of redeveloping that area is already well established. The original proposal back in 2006/7 had widespread support from the various stakeholders, the local authority, Arthur's Quay sc owner, Penney's, Debenhams etc. The new plans will no doubt differ somewhat and perhaps substantially from the earlier proposal. As it stands, the area is hugely underutilised and is not contributing to the city centre in any significant way. It offers superb river views but the public realm is poor and uninviting. We need a proper promenade stretching from Sarsfield bridge to the Potato Market and on to the castle. The stretch of road on Honan's Quay at the back of the former Dunnes Stores needs to be decommissioned also. What little traffic it carries could be accommodated on Lower Bedford Row.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The 2030 design is probably the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

The elephant in the room would appear to be the old Dunnes building, are they going to support this does anybody know?

Also what is the plan for the old court house?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Dunnes has been added to the derelict sites, so its only a matter of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

jasper100 wrote: »
    The elephant in the room would appear to be the old Dunnes building, are they going to support this does anybody know?

I don't know for sure, but the term "kicking and screaming" comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Mc Love wrote:

Vacant Sites Register, not Derelict Sites Register. This means Dunnes will be levied with an annual bill of the hundreds of thousands. They'll probably sell it on quickly, just as they did in Dun Laoghaire recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Mc Love wrote: »

Or they could just put a few low end businesses in there so that its "occupied" again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

jasper100 wrote: »
    Or they could just put a few low end businesses in there so that its "occupied" again.

If it's not a Dunnes business would they need new planning at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

If it's not a Dunnes business would they need new planning at this stage?

As long as it’s retail it wouldn’t require a change of use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I see the Fitto Cafe on Catherine Street looks like it's permanently closed now?

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »
    I see the Fitto Cafe on Catherine Street looks like it's permanently closed now?

Was that not called something different these days anyway? Coffea or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Was that not called something different these days anyway? Coffea or something

I think you're right. It seemed to have re-named itself a number of times over the years but was run by the same people. Looks like it is totally closed up shop now. It's a prime location and I like the glass windows. It was great for people watching!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭sioda

panda100 wrote: »
    It's reopening soon I have heard under new management same owners as Aroma across the street

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭topcat72

Looks like Insomnia concession are going from the easons in the Spring - not sure if its a new concession going in there or not. Middle of town is well coffee'd up at this stage, with plenty of competition . Although most of the coffee shops always look full so maybe not at saturation yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

topcat72 wrote: »
    Looks like Insomnia concession are going from the easons in the Spring - not sure if its a new concession going in there or not. Middle of town is well coffee'd up at this stage, with plenty of competition . Although most of the coffee shops always look full so maybe not at saturation yet.

Crazy location for it in the first place imo. Of the chains insomnia is the only one I would buy coffee in, but not in that location would it entice me in for a coffee.

tototoe wrote: »
    Crazy location for it in the first place imo. Of the chains insomnia is the only one I would buy coffee in, but not in that location would it entice me in for a coffee.

I used to go there quite a bit when I worked in town. I used to like the part behind the counter with the windows overlooking Cruises Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

We frequent the Easons Insomnia a good bit, be sad to see it go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

BobMc wrote: »
    We frequent the Easons Insomnia a good bit, be sad to see it go

Maybe they will put back the CDs and Sega Megadrive

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

tototoe wrote: »

I would be the opposite i would consider it an ideal location, it was quiet and secluded, pop in downstairs pick up the newspaper and a magazine for the kids sit down and enjoy the coffee in peace and quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Is that DUO plane on Denmark ST closed down already? Passed by the other day and the windows were covered. Bit of an odd place to have a coffee shop in the first place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Shn99 wrote: »
    Is that DUO plane on Denmark ST closed down already? Passed by the other day and the windows were covered. Bit of an odd place to have a coffee shop in the first place

I passed it yesterday and it had a sign saying closed until the 13th of January. The owner mustn't have been able to pay for/find cover.

I passed it yesterday and it had a sign saying closed until the 13th of January. The owner mustn't have been able to pay for/find cover.

Interesting, wonder how long it will last

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Shn99 wrote: »
    Interesting, wonder how long it will last

Judging by the utter scutter of coffees my other half and I both had to pour into the flowerpots outside Penneys, not long.

Are they really that bad? Another place crossed off my list so!

Are they really that bad? Another place crossed off my list so!

Hes redoing the inside of the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Art n hobby in cruises street is gone

Korkys shoe shop on cruises Street gone as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

sioda wrote: »
    Korkys shoe shop on cruises Street gone as well

I'm not surprised to hear that. It was terrible. It always looked like they gathered all the rubbish they couldn't sell anywhere else and left it all in the Limerick store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,472 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Umekichi wrote: »
    Art n hobby in cruises street is gone

The sign says that they look forward to seeing everyone in their shop in the Crescent Shopping Centre. Shame, I was in there before Christmas and it was quite busy.

Advertisement