Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

h3000 wrote: »
    That's a pity. Seemed like a nice crowd that ran it. It always seemed busy in there too. I was heading there one day over the Christmas and the doors were closed but did not think much of it.

i passed it a few mornings over xmas hoping for an irish breakfast but just thought he was closed for the holidays myself..shudder seemed to be up anytime i passed with work going on inside i just thought he was renovating pity now itll be a loss :(

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

i passed it a few mornings over xmas hoping for an irish breakfast but just thought he was closed for the holidays myself..shudder seemed to be up anytime i passed with work going on inside i just thought he was renovating pity now itll be a loss :(

I can confirm that is just closed for extensive renovations and will be open again on the 14th January. People should really check before posting in the business closed thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

jsd1004 wrote: »
    I can confirm that is just closed for extensive renovations and will be open again on the 14th January. People should really check before posting in the business closed thread.

woohoo look forward to a cheap brekkie and a smiling faces serving me on a sunday morning again unlike the 30e brekkie and grumpy faces i got in o connors this morning when i went in looking forward to the new look :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

The Dessert Gallery in Grove Island is closed. as of Christmas Eve. That's 4 or 5 units at the front of the complex closed now, not including all the office units overhead which have never been filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The dessert gallery guy said he wasn't making the margin on cakes and the like and when you put the hours he worked against what he earned it was time to call it a day. Understandable really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Beer Baron wrote: »
    The dessert gallery guy said he wasn't making the margin on cakes and the like and when you put the hours he worked against what he earned it was time to call it a day. Understandable really.

Yep. And wasn't willing to get tied into a new lease in those circumstances. Hopefully he will keep it going somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

jsd1004 wrote: »

That's great news, best of luck to them.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

>SNIP<

HMV to go into administration in the morning apparently.

Well there go two more reasons to walk down Cruises St...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post:

Conversation regarding the closure of a city centre based business has been deleted due to the lack of a confirmed source.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

• Advertisement

Take away the HMV stores and am pretty sure that leaves Limerick city without any bricks and mortar music store.:(

Golden Discs are long gone from Limerick, and are in Cork etc still. Think Tower Records are in Dublin only, and there are no independent stores in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Kess73 wrote: »
    Take away the HMV stores and am pretty sure that leaves Limerick city without any bricks and mortar music store.:(

Golden Discs are long gone from Limerick, and are in Cork etc still. Think Tower Records are in Dublin only, and there are no independent stores in Limerick.

Sad day....the CD section in Tesco will be all thats left.

Remember when I was younger I had a choice of HMV, Golden Discs arthurs quay (was there one in Todds as well?), Empire Music, Black Spot records and probably a couple more that I can't think of.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

RikkFlair wrote: »

(was there one in Todds as well?),

downstairs on the right. thats a long time ago now though

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

So it's limerick related now

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Sad day....the CD section in Tesco will be all thats left.

Remember when I was younger I had a choice of HMV, Golden Discs arthurs quay (was there one in Todds as well?), Empire Music, Black Spot records and probably a couple more that I can't think of.

Yep there was a Golden Discs in Todds, but that moved to Arthurs Quay.

There were also Golden Discs in the Crescent Shopping centre, and in the Jetland Shopping centre at the same time as the store in AQ.

The Crescent shopping centre also had Black Track records, and the Parkway had Music Lane.

Granted buying online is cheaper (for physical product and download) but no music stores would be just one less shopping attraction in the city centre, and another high profile empty unit on the main street. :(

If someone like Tower were smart, they would right now be looking at a few of the HMV units in the main shopping centres around Ireland.

mossym wrote: »

downstairs on the right. thats a long time ago now though

Wow, now that takes me back.

Every so often I like to buy an actual cd but only because its an Irish band who you can't get online. I remember the delorentos when they released a cd online and in stores but it was the same price so naturally I bought a hard copy of it.

Problem is that you can get it all on spot oft now and online shopping is cheaper. Personally I won't buy music from apple. Not much point and not much savings. I think I was last in HMV in limerick 2 years ago and many others are probably like that. Too many competitors with cheaper offerings and as mentioned Tesco are good and often, not always, cheaper.

Wow, now that takes me back.

Every so often I like to buy an actual cd but only because its an Irish band who you can't get online. I remember the delorentos when they released a cd online and in stores but it was the same price so naturally I bought a hard copy of it.

Problem is that you can get it all on spot oft now and online shopping is cheaper. Personally I won't buy music from apple. Not much point and not much savings. I think I was last in HMV in limerick 2 years ago and many others are probably like that. Too many competitors with cheaper offerings and as mentioned Tesco are good and often, not always, cheaper.

True, but the flip side is that Tesco's range is pretty awful if one's taste is not either chart orientated or quite generic.

I tend to buy most of my cds or blu ray online from the likes of Amazon, and as such would only have spent maybe a thousand euro a year between the two Limerick stores, but I will miss the experience of wandering the aisles as it is something I have loved doing in the music stores of each country I have lived in ever since I first discovered Probe Records as a kid.

I think that when I go back to Liverpool this weekend for the match that I will suffer a twinge of nostalgia when I see the closed HMV as HMV and Virgin were the ones who bought out most of the Probe Record stores in the North of England.

Yeah Tesco is limited. In fairness I like having a good wander around HMV in the crescent whilst herself is in H&M. Remember HMV took that from Virgin but is there anybody else that can afford to take it over? I doubt it.

Xtravision are trying more to get into sales rather than rentals. It could be a business for them, but it cheap from the administrators.

Apparently the suppliers said no to a £300m write off of payments which is why it got to this point.

Yeah Tesco is limited. In fairness I like having a good wander around HMV in the crescent whilst herself is in H&M. Remember HMV took that from Virgin but is there anybody else that can afford to take it over? I doubt it.

Xtravision are trying more to get into sales rather than rentals. It could be a business for them, but it cheap from the administrators.

Apparently the suppliers said no to a £300m write off of payments which is why it got to this point.

No chance in hell that Xtravision will fill the gap. They have had plenty of well publicised financial issues of their own, and would be too weak a company(financially) to fill even a fraction of the empty HMV stores.

Who might be tempted now that I have thought about it more is Golden Discs. It was the opening of the Virgin megastore in the Crescent SC that wiped out the GD store in the same centre. Now with the possibility of there being no competition at all in Limerick (city or county), GD or a similar sized company might be tempted tojust have one unit in Limerick and push for the Crescent unit where HMV are.

The city centre unit I cannot see another music store going to though.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Both the city centre & shopping centre branches are not taking gift vouchers or refunds at the moment :(

Hopefully some company will take them over and keep at least one of the Limerick stores open. Unfortunately I don't think anyone will since the entire music retail sector is failing.

• Advertisement

Both the city centre & shopping centre branches are not taking gift vouchers or refunds at the moment :(

Hopefully some company will take them over and keep at least one of the Limerick stores open. Unfortunately I don't think anyone will since the entire music retail sector is failing.

People are just going to have to ride the loss on the money spent on vouchers (if bought with cash).

If people think back to when Virgin closed in Ireland. It was also done in early January after pumping out voucher sales in December. It is a pretty underhand way for a company to rake in extra cash without losing any shelf produce, but although it could be seen as morally wrong it breaks no laws.

The no refunds bit is interesting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

That's true, only a few weeks ago Virgin closed all their outlets in France.

Writing has been on the wall for music and movie stores for sometime thanks to the 'net, now it's coming to fruition. They just can't compete with online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

People are just going to have to ride the loss on the money spent on vouchers (if bought with cash).

If people think back to when Virgin closed in Ireland. It was also done in early January after pumping out voucher sales in December. It is a pretty underhand way for a company to rake in extra cash without losing any shelf produce, but although it could be seen as morally wrong it breaks no laws.

The no refunds bit is interesting though.

Interesting comment on The Last Word today, the Irish part is not under court protection, so it could be argued that they should still be accepting vouchers. If the Irish Consumer Agency is any good they should be looking at this issue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

This is really isn't the place for this discussion, but I can't see any business surviving on selling music alone, there's tiny profit margins to be made with massive overheads with far too much competition (online and Tesco), iTunes took a long time to become profitable for Apple and they had to beat off a lot of competition in their quest to be number 1 for sales. In fact I remember seeing a report that a lot of artists make most of their money now from radio play and live concerts rather than record sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

Id imagine there is an expiry date on the vouchers and if someone when to the store they would have to take the voucher as there is a contract in place until the stores actually shut or the expiry date expires, which ever comes first. .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Beaver1 wrote: »
    Id imagine there is an expiry date on the vouchers and if someone when to the store they would have to take the voucher as there is a contract in place until the stores actually shut or the expiry date expires, which ever comes first. .

Nope, the voucher holder becomes an unsecured creditor, meaning that when the company is liquidated and the main creditors get paid, the unsecured creditors can make their claim. If there's any money left over they will get refunded from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

source wrote: »
    Nope, the voucher holder becomes an unsecured creditor, meaning that when the company is liquidated and the main creditors get paid, the unsecured creditors can make their claim. If there's any money left over they will get refunded from that.
    Fair play to this guy
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/grandad-walks-out-of-hmv-with-computer-games-after-staff-refuse-to-accept-gift-voucher-3354747.html

Anyone with a set of balls should do the same. (Although personally I would have made sure the value was close to, but didn't exceed the amount of the voucher - can't see any court convicting in that case)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

source wrote: »

The Irish company is not in any form of court protection.

jmch81 wrote: »
    The Irish company is not in any form of court protection.

Yet.

• Advertisement

langdang wrote: »
    Fair play to this guy
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/grandad-walks-out-of-hmv-with-computer-games-after-staff-refuse-to-accept-gift-voucher-3354747.html

Anyone with a set of balls should do the same. (Although personally I would have made sure the value was close to, but didn't exceed the amount of the voucher - can't see any court convicting in that case)

Yes fair play to him, but legally speaking it's still theft. For the sale to be valid there has to be an offer and acceptance. The guy offered the gift voucher in return for the items, this was refused. As such there was no sale and when the guy walked out with the items he committed act of theft.

HMV if callous enough could report this and initiate legal proceedings against him. If they don't they set a dangerous precedent for themselves.

Advertisement