Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

The small bakery/shop/deli on the corner of Foxes Bow and William St is closed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

RonMexico wrote: »
    These closures need to be highlighted and not treated as if they aren't happening. Limerick is an economic blackspot and by far the worst affected city in Ireland. Our local representatives are twiddling their thumbs while this city goes down the toilet. If I recall the previous thread had over 100 different businesses mentioned in an 18 month period. That is absolutely shocking for the size of Limerick.
    Hello, you are definately not alone in being an economic blackspot. Waterford has been hit incredibly hard, check out my you tube video <snip>SPAM VIDEOS ARE BAD</snip> and you will see that other towns and cities are struggling. Like I am trying to do, make the people who can make a difference and do have the power or control in their own areas to act quickly and stop the rot by at least making the place tidier by covering up and decorating the vacant properties as the landlords don't seem to care. YOU ARE NOT ALONE !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

RonMexico wrote: »
    These closures need to be highlighted and not treated as if they aren't happening. Limerick is an economic blackspot and by far the worst affected city in Ireland. Our local representatives are twiddling their thumbs while this city goes down the toilet. If I recall the previous thread had over 100 different businesses mentioned in an 18 month period. That is absolutely shocking for the size of Limerick.

I was in Limerick on Saturday and it was very busy and Vibrant. It certainly didn't look like a ghost town which was great to see. However, it can't be denied that there are a number of vacant outlets in the city centre although when you think about it I don't think there are any empty units on William street except for the Fcuk shop which seems to be opening and closing all the time. O' Connell street has only a few empy shops accross from BT, the chemist on the corner of Thomas st and the O connell grill which apparently is going to be occupied soon enough. Thomas street has loads of restaurants and cafes and I think there's only one or two empty. I don't think there are any empty stores on Bedford Row. However, it would be great if all were fully occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I was in Limerick on Saturday and it was very busy and Vibrant. It certainly didn't look like a ghost town which was great to see. However, it can't be denied that there are a number of vacant outlets in the city centre although when you think about it I don't think there are any empty units on William street except for the Fcuk shop which seems to be opening and closing all the time. O' Connell street has only a few empy shops accross from BT, the chemist on the corner of Thomas st and the O connell grill which apparently is going to be occupied soon enough. Thomas street has loads of restaurants and cafes and I think there's only one or two empty. I don't think there are any empty stores on Bedford Row. However, it would be great if all were fully occupied.

O'Connell street, from top to bottom, must be pushing for 20 empty units and more if you count all the empty buildings that used to be used as office space.

Take a look at all the to let and for sale signs on units along O' Connell street between the O'Connell grill and the Bank bar. I would say that every block on that stretch has an empty retail or eatrie unit with a few of the blocks having a number of empty units.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

Kess73 wrote: »
    O'Connell street, from top to bottom, must be pushing for 20 empty units and more if you count all the empty buildings that used to be used as office space.

Take a look at all the to let and for sale signs on units along O' Connell street between the O'Connell grill and the Bank bar. I would say that every block on that stretch has an empty retail or eatrie unit with a few of the blocks having a number of empty units.

I was referring to retail outlets rather than offices. O' Connell street is from O'Connell Grill to the Daniel O' Connell monument, however the main retail area of the street is essentially from O'Connell Grill to AIB. After AIB it's mainly solicitors offices, Accountants etc. You feel like you have left the retail core when you pass AIB. This is in contrast to a city like Cork where their main street from one end to the other is entirely retail. However St.Patrick street in Cork seems shorter than O'Connell street in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭phog

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    The small bakery/shop/deli on the corner of Foxes Bow and William St is closed

I was parked near here on Sunday and the guy was opening it though there was a "To Let" sign overhead the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

[snip]SPAMVIDEOSAREBAD[/SNIP] Please all of you in Limerick act now, lobby, embarrass whoever has influence on your city so it doesn't end up looking like this !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

[snip]SPAMVIDEOSAREBAD[/SNIP] Please all of you in Limerick act now, lobby, embarrass whoever has influence on your city so it doesn't end up looking like this !

Please stop spamming the Limerick forum to talk about your Waterford video.

I was referring to retail outlets rather than offices. O' Connell street is from O'Connell Grill to the Daniel O' Connell monument, however the main retail area of the street is essentially from O'Connell Grill to AIB. After AIB it's mainly solicitors offices, Accountants etc. You feel like you have left the retail core when you pass AIB. This is in contrast to a city like Cork where their main street from one end to the other is entirely retail. However St.Patrick street in Cork seems shorter than O'Connell street in Limerick.

I was also referring to service units be they retail or eateries. Each block from the O'Connel grill to the Mallow street junction contains empty retail/eatery units.

I mentioned the large number of empty offices on that stretch as something that would increase the number further.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Today was the last day for the AIB branch at the top of William Street. Most of the staff are moving down to the O'Connell street branch.

Meet you at the three banks is no more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Big protest outside the AIB in Borrisokane today. I don't know why they were protesting today(weren't there yesterday) because the decision is made and the post office is next door where they can bank with AIB anway.

No point giving staff grief either, they are moving on as well.

I see Eve's on Roches street is finally closed. They have had the closing sale signs up for about 18 months or so, but passed a short while ago and the doors are locked and the units are emptied.

They must have been one of the longest serving stores on that street and in the Fashion Quarter. The person with me thought that they had been in Limerick for 40 to 50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Kess73 wrote: »
    I see Eve's on Roches street is finally closed. They have had the closing sale signs up for about 18 months or so, but passed a short while ago and the doors are locked and the units are emptied.

They must have been one of the longest serving stores on that street and in the Fashion Quarter. The person with me thought that they had been in Limerick for 40 to 50 years.

Since 1941 according to this link

http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php/navigation-mainmenu-30/local-news/3373-eves-family-business-to-close-after-73-years.html

Been a while since they announced they were closing (thought it was a bluff for a while) but sad to see yet another shuttered shop in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Body Shop in the crescent seems to be gone too, just noticed today.

europa11 wrote: »
    Since 1941 according to this link

http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php/navigation-mainmenu-30/local-news/3373-eves-family-business-to-close-after-73-years.html

Been a while since they announced they were closing (thought it was a bluff for a while) but sad to see yet another shuttered shop in the centre.

It is, especially when it is a store that was in Limerick for so long. The shoe shop on the same street is closing as well so that will be two of the more higher profile members of the Fashion quarter gone.

Kind of reminds me when Clancys pulled out of the city centre as they were another part of the furniture city centre name.

Lots of the long terms names seem to leave an empty space once gone. Clancys building is still empty, as if the building that Kielys/Sony Centre had.

Had a look at a few of the units available to rent earlier today and it is scary how many are available right now in the city centre alone. Sad times indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

europa11 wrote: »

You have to bear in mind it was a family business and nobody was interested in continuing the trade. One of the sons has his own bar across the river so he wasn't going to take it on. I don't know the other siblings, if any, so who knows what their circumstances are.

The sign said "Retirement Sale" so I'm sure they were in no rush as it was.

In saying that I would have known both of my parents to have bought stuff there over the years/decades and it's one of those places "sur' that's always been there".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

AIB Corbally signage being removed today.

JJB now selling off remaining stock for 50% off. It's a bit depressing to see the state of the shop and all the staff know are the rumours that someone else might be buying the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭sioda

North star pub in thomondgate is closed. Shame twas great for a prematch pint

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Posted outside JJB this morning:

jjboct31.png

I just went down to the bank to cancel my direct debit (glad I paid by the month).

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ABlur

Mr E wrote: »
    Posted outside JJB this morning:

jjboct31.png

I just went down to the bank to cancel my direct debit (glad I paid by the month).

Wish I paid monthly, family of three paid up til next May I would think theres zero chance of getting anything back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    You have to bear in mind it was a family business and nobody was interested in continuing the trade. One of the sons has his own bar across the river so he wasn't going to take it on. I don't know the other siblings, if any, so who knows what their circumstances are.

The sign said "Retirement Sale" so I'm sure they were in no rush as it was.

In saying that I would have known both of my parents to have bought stuff there over the years/decades and it's one of those places "sur' that's always been there".

It appears as if they went into liquidation, either way its sad to see another business close:

http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/notices/12-10-26/Eve%E2%80%99s_Limited.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

L.T.P. wrote: »
    It appears as if they went into liquidation, either way its sad to see another business close:

http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/notices/12-10-26/Eve%E2%80%99s_Limited.aspx

When you close any business it's generally liquidated.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    When you close any business it's generally liquidated.

How so, do explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

L.T.P. wrote: »
    How so, do explain?

A company can only cease to exist through its liquidation.
    If a company has money to pay all its creditors, the owner is free to liquidate it when they desire just as long as everyone who is owed money gets paid.

Here though, the company is insolvent and can't pay its creditors so the court is liquidating through the liquidator that has been appointed and everyone that is owed money falls onto the uncompromising ladder of who is best entitled to whatever can be salvaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

ABlur wrote: »
    Wish I paid monthly, family of three paid up til next May I would think theres zero chance of getting anything back.

Did you pay by credit card? If so you might be able to claim a charge back from visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ABlur

Did you pay by credit card? If so you might be able to claim a charge back from visa.

I did as it happens but have since changed credit cards, still might be worth looking at thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

ABlur wrote: »
    I did as it happens but have since changed credit cards, still might be worth looking at thanks.

That might be the case under more normal circumstances. A credit card issuer usually reverts back to the merchant for repayment of any disputed amount but, considering the circumstances, this might not be possible in this case... There's still no harm in checking it out, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

I'm astonished that the aquarium place is still open. Seriously, Castletroy SC is a retail graveyard.

because its a niche business and everyone who has fish knows where to go .
    park right outside the door, carry out yer little bag of fish

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

John Street Deli closed its doors on 23/12/2012.

Sad to see this place go as they had some great value breakfast fare on offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

lockman wrote: »
    John Street Deli closed its doors on 23/12/2012.

Sad to see this place go as they had some great value breakfast fare on offer.

That's a pity. Seemed like a nice crowd that ran it. It always seemed busy in there too. I was heading there one day over the Christmas and the doors were closed but did not think much of it.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Advertisement