Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

8 of the 67 AIB branches announced closures are to take place in Limerick.

That’s somewhat disproportionate or not? :(
    • William Street
    • Corbally
    • Dromcollogher
    • Doon
    • Glin
    • Croom
    • Hospital
    • Foynes
    See Limerick Leader

Glin and Foynes to close? That the only bank in each town/village gone so, and places like Loughill, Ballyhahill, etc all lose their nearest bank as a result as well.

Trying to remember if there is an active bank in Tarbert, otherwise it means a trip to NCW, Askeaton, or Listowel for some folk if they want to go to a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

the services of the credit uniouns should be advailed of, quite a lot of people are using them nowdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

6 weeks to atlantic home care closing

the staff were told last week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Geographically I wouldn't call it disproportionate. William Street especially.

4 of the 16 PTSBs to close are in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Kess73 wrote: »
    Glin and Foynes to close? That the only bank in each town/village gone so, and places like Loughill, Ballyhahill, etc all lose their nearest bank as a result as well.

Trying to remember if there is an active bank in Tarbert, otherwise it means a trip to NCW, Askeaton, or Listowel for some folk if they want to go to a bank.

AIB daily banking can be done in the Post Office. I find it quite handy.

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    AIB daily banking can be done in the Post Office. I find it quite handy.

And it is quite limited in terms of what banking a person can do. Handy service for basic banking alright though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

And it is quite limited in terms of what banking a person can do. Handy service for basic banking alright though.

Exactly if you want a currency exchange that is NOT USD or STG then you are fecked. You'd have to go to another bank. What about if you want to send a international payment by say day transfer. The post office cannot manage a swift transfer, only a standard postal order.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Exactly if you want a currency exchange that is NOT USD or STG then you are fecked. You'd have to go to another bank. What about if you want to send a international payment by say day transfer. The post office cannot manage a swift transfer, only a standard postal order.

Plus take the travel and time wasted aspect of it. If you live or work in Foynes, are an AIB customer, and want to get to a bank, your choices are a 20 km drive to Tarbert, a 22km drive to Newcastle west, or a 35km drive to the AIB at the Southcourt.

Not great options really if one is trying to fit in a bank run on a lunch break or is caught for time. Worse again if the person does not drive.

I suppose a person could close their AIB account and open a Bank Of Ireland one, that way they only have an 11km trip to the nearest bank in Askeaton.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Beer Baron wrote: »

i see your point, but thinking about it a bit more, what % of the daily business do you think transactions like that are? very very low i would think.

look at the bank charges they just brought in. if they had to keep all these branches open, at a loss, then i imagine the charges would have been significantly higher. for vast majority of people i would think lower standard charges and increased inconvenience the times you do need something out of the ordinary is far more attractive than momentary convenience and higher ongoing charges.

the ones i see really struggling with this are the local businesses, i presume they can lodge their daily takings at the post office, but i would suspect there won't be night safe facilities, meaning for things like pubs they have to retain the money until the post office opens the next morning.

mossym wrote: »
    i see your point, but thinking about it a bit more, what % of the daily business do you think transactions like that are? very very low i would think.

look at the bank charges they just brought in. if they had to keep all these branches open, at a loss, then i imagine the charges would have been significantly higher. for vast majority of people i would think lower standard charges and increased inconvenience the times you do need something out of the ordinary is far more attractive than momentary convenience and higher ongoing charges.

the ones i see really struggling with this are the local businesses, i presume they can lodge their daily takings at the post office, but i would suspect there won't be night safe facilities, meaning for things like pubs they have to retain the money until the post office opens the next morning.

Also the fact that the Foynes Post Office closes at lunch time means there is an even smaller window for folk to do their basic banking there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Also the fact that the Foynes Post Office closes at lunch time means there is an even smaller window for folk to do their basic banking there.

same issue with BOI though, right? might not be all their branches, but the one in Dooradoyle closes at lunch i think

do all the small local aib's stay open all lunch?

mossym wrote: »
    same issue with BOI though, right? might not be all their branches, but the one in Dooradoyle closes at lunch i think

do all the small local aib's stay open all lunch?

Don't know if they all do, but a lot of them do stay open through lunch.

I think the problem with the Foynes branch is compounded by having the next branch along the N69, the Glin branch, close as well.

To my mind it would have made more sense to just shut one, most likely the Glin branch.

That way the Glin overflow could be diverted to Tarbert, and the users of the Glin branch from places like Ballyhahill and Loughill etc could have been diverted to the Foynes branch.

Some people would still have to travel a bit extra to get to a bank, but the trips would be shorter, and it would also be easier for the local businesses in all those areas that used the branches for lodgements, for change etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

does anyone do online banking, I wouldn't go to a bank once every 2 months, would most people not do online banking now adays

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Beaver1 wrote: »
    does anyone do online banking, I wouldn't go to a bank once every 2 months, would most people not do online banking now adays

Most people under a certain age use online banking. My Dad still goes into the bank every Thursday to get his wages even though he has an ATM card. Most people in their 50s and above wouldn't do anything other than go into the branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

8 of the 67 AIB branches announced closures are to take place in Limerick.

That’s somewhat disproportionate or not? :(
    • William Street
    • Corbally
    • Dromcollogher
    • Doon
    • Glin
    • Croom
    • Hospital
    • Foynes
    See Limerick Leader

And it was only 5 (?) years ago that the Patrick Street branch closed and the accounts transferred to William Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Is Cafe Noir on O'Connell Street gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭lasno

Mint cafe on Henry Street closed. Notice on window says owners have decided to retire. New cafe/bistro opening August 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Is Cafe Noir on O'Connell Street gone?

Yep, Pat stripped it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

The Snipe wrote: »

Why, do you know?

Whenever I passed on weekdays it seemed busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Cafe Noir on O'CS has been closed for at least two weeks PS.

Just on a positive in that regard, two nearby (to Cafe Noir) spots recently opened "Petit Paris" just down on Lr. Mallow St/Henry St corner and "Food canteen" on Upr Mallow St., can't speak for the latter yet, but that French spot are doing good stuff at lunchtime, all courses for under €10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

liammur wrote: »
    Where will it all stop ? :mad:

lets be honest. Its not as if that part of town is stuck for retail and something was bound to give. You have the one by the Carlton Hotel just around the corner and for me its a much better shop. Never liked that Spar...but thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

vkid wrote: »
    liammur wrote: »
    Where will it all stop ? :mad:

lets be honest. Its not as if that part of town is stuck for retail and something was bound to give. You have the one by the Carlton Hotel just around the corner and for me its a much better shop. Never liked that Spar...but thats just me.

By students it was colloquially known as 'sh*t spar'.

Not surprised it closed, it was dark, had an awful deli and not much stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

The Snipe wrote: »

Why, do you know?

Whenever I passed on weekdays it seemed busy.
    The lease was up on it, and he didn't want to renew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

One of the main reasons why so many businesses are closing is that there is too much competition in Limerick for the population.

Take a look around town for example. Barber shops all over the place and on a given day most of them are very quiet. There is too many, spreading the customer base, resulting in poor business for most. If you doubt what I say just ask them.

Same goes for small shops. It is a dead end business. The days of the small corner shop are well and truly over. Most people use Tesco/Dunnes/Lidl/Aldi - the rest are just fighting for the scraps.

Think back to the 80's in Limerick and compare the amount of retail units between then and now. Has the population increased accordingly to warrant all these extra retail units? The answer is an overwhelming no.

Shoe Flair on Roches Street is to close after 17 years.

Shoe Flair on Roches Street is to close after 17 years.

Yeah he is keeping the Clonmel store open as it does better business, but the Limerick city one is closing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

One of the main reasons why so many businesses are closing is that there is too much competition in Limerick for the population.

Take a look around town for example. Barber shops all over the place and on a given day most of them are very quiet. There is too many, spreading the customer base, resulting in poor business for most. If you doubt what I say just ask them.

Same goes for small shops. It is a dead end business. The days of the small corner shop are well and truly over. Most people use Tesco/Dunnes/Lidl/Aldi - the rest are just fighting for the scraps.

Think back to the 80's in Limerick and compare the amount of retail units between then and now. Has the population increased accordingly to warrant all these extra retail units? The answer is an overwhelming no.

There's no doubt about that. Emigration, no disposal income, online shopping, massive unemployment. I take my hat off to any small businesses opening here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheEntertainer

Just on a note, Has anyone heard any update on JJB? I know the Irish stores and Gyms are on the market and are in Provisional Liquidation. By my understanding this means they have 28 days to find a buyer for the group.

But this morning a mate of mine was over at JJB and going up to the sports shop. the escalator was shut down and the shutters were being closed down at 10am despite the store being open at half 9? Anyone else able to confirm this?

Advertisement