Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

I've covered about 100km, I've taken to dominos.

Pizza?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

t'bear wrote: »
    Pizza?

Yes please.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Out cycling yesterday morning, stopped at the lights at Baggot St. A junkie came up to me and asked me if I "was on the sterrroids as well", while making syringe gestures at his arm. He then proceeded to tell me that "cycling was a bleeeeedin disgrace of a sport" and he "wouldn't be seen dead on a racing bike".

If heroin addicts think that cyclists are doper scum then what hope for the sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

-K2- wrote: »
    Out cycling yesterday morning, stopped at the lights at Baggot St. A junkie came up to me and asked me if I "was on the sterrroids as well", while making syringe gestures at his arm. He then proceeded to tell me that "cycling was a bleeeeedin disgrace of a sport" and he "wouldn't be seen dead on a racing bike".

I think Gavin the ex-cycling mod lives in that area. He's a MTBer.

Just saying.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lumen wrote: »
    I think Gavin the ex-cycling mod lives in that area. He's a MTBer.

Just saying.
    Unfortunately it tends to be a rapid descent once you become an ex-cycling mod ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

Beasty wrote: »
    Unfortunately it tends to be a rapid descent once you become an ex-cycling mod ...

Now that the season's over, can someone point me to the ex-cycling forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

buffalo wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=492

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Created especially for when you decided to hang up those cycling shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Stupid question I know, but I'm guessing if a frame takes a 31,8mm seatpost then the seat tube takes a 34.9mm band FD. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

@Mattbrammeier85: Last night my bike was stolen @Hotel Auberge Du Pecheur, St Martens Latem. If you see it contact me or @opqscyclingteam http://t.co/tcp2zkzj

Ouch!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Stupid question I know, but I'm guessing if a frame takes a 31,8mm seatpost then the seat tube takes a 34.9mm band FD. Right?

One would presume so!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

@Mattbrammeier85: Last night my bike was stolen @Hotel Auberge Du Pecheur, St Martens Latem. If you see it contact me or @opqscyclingteam http://t.co/tcp2zkzj

Ouch!!

It's a beautiful bike, but surely Specialized or the team replace the bikes whenever they're needed?

http://inrng.com/2012/09/joaquim-rodriguez-purito-name/

Very grateful to Inner Ring for this, I was wondering why Eurosport were calling him 'burrito'. Now I won't display my ignorance... except for in this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I lost my Strava KOM on the descent from Kippure mast today - to this guy :eek:
    leading-mauro-bettin-road-rage-italy-winner-in-the-semi-finals.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

leading-mauro-bettin-road-rage-italy-winner-in-the-semi-finals.jpg

No shame. One of our crew members from Race Around Ireland. He has the matrix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

velo.2010 wrote: »

I don't know the answer, but the tendency of frames to have tubes of varying diameter/dimenstions these days would make me wonder whether it's a safe assumption to make. Mind you, maybe any bike with a varying seat tube would have a braze-on fitted for the front mech - my Canyon certainly takes this approach with it's oddly shaped seat tube, but (some) Canyon seat tubes are a particularly odd shape and not common by any means.

If he is the guy I'm thinking of, a Red Bull (on-road) downhill rider, I think he has been picking up quite a few KOM's around Dublin and Wicklow in the last while. He has KOM's on several descents that I know, including at least one on Cruagh Road with a time that left me in awe. I'd love to see him descending on some of those roads.

doozerie wrote: »
    If he is the guy I'm thinking of, a Red Bull (on-road) downhill rider, I think he has been picking up quite a few KOM's around Dublin and Wicklow in the last while. He has KOM's on several descents that I know, including at least one on Cruagh Road with a time that left me in awe. I'd love to see him descending on some of those roads.

I've seen his back wheel. Brown pants stuff.

He took Kilmashogue Lane from me as well, I won't even be attempting to take it back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Raam wrote: »
    No shame. One of our crew members from Race Around Ireland. He has the matrix.
    dont think I saw him at Sundrive this year, his name does start with a J?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

One month of holidays is maybe too much... I 'm doing n-o-t-h-i-n-g all day apart from eating crap ( mmm yummy souvlaki ) and drinking beer. For the first time of my life I am 82kgs.. 8 more kgs than what I was when I got back from the raid. 8kgs in one month, it's a bit shocking knowing that I am getting older and my metabolism can't keep up with my ****ty attitude towards food. At least I would have a "lose a stone" target for the first time in my life lol. I need to buy a bike to leave it here for future purporses.. hm... next year :p

dont think I saw him at Sundrive this year, his name does start with a J?

http://janoskohler.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

AstraMonti wrote: »
    One month of holidays is maybe too much... I 'm doing n-o-t-h-i-n-g all day apart from eating crap ( mmm yummy souvlaki ) and drinking beer. For the first time of my life I am 82kgs.. 8 more kgs than what I was when I got back from the raid. 8kgs in one month, it's a bit shocking knowing that I am getting older and my metabolism can't keep up with my ****ty attitude towards food. At least I would have a "lose a stone" target for the first time in my life lol. I need to buy a bike to leave it here for future purporses.. hm... next year :p

as with cycling, eating is all about pacing yourself chef! :)

Good letter in the Irish Times today:
    Sir, – Like Noel Brown (August 31st), I also recently had occasion to transport a bicycle from Dublin to the west coast. The solution I arrived at was for the bicycle to transport me.

Planning a quiet, scenic route from Swords to Sligo was time consuming, as I had to allow for junctions on minor roads not always being signposted adequately.

A posting I consulted on boards.ieeven suggested a GPS unit would be near-essential for navigation.

Signs specifically for cyclists covered only around 2.5 per cent of my route, and even these signs, which make no reference to actual places, would have been unintelligible to me had I not happened to have a map of the Kingfisher Trail.

Once planned, my journey was very enjoyable, with the exception of my transit through Ratoath, where I had to choose between possibly breaking my bike (by using the hazardous cycling facilities provided) and breaking the law (by not using them).

Painting footpaths pink and deeming them cycling facilities creates hazards for cyclists and pedestrians alike, as well as imposing delays on cyclists, so I checked the Ratoath Local Area Plan 2009-2015 after my trip to see if I could discover anything that would explain this poor use of public money.

What I established was that it is the stated policy of Meath County Council “to promote and facilitate the development of cycling and walking facilities in Ratoath”.

In these straitened times, it is somewhat depressing to see resources ploughed into facilitating the development of cycling facilities that do little to facilitate cycling. Other measures would offer better value for money.

My own trip, for example, would have been much easier to plan if an online journey planner and coherent signage existed to help cyclists identify quiet, direct and attractive routes through urban, suburban and rural areas. – Yours, etc,

SARAH SWIFT,
    Badstrasse,
    Bamberg,
    Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

"with the exception of my transit through Ratoath, where I had to choose between possibly breaking my bike (by using the hazardous cycling facilities provided) and breaking the law (by not using them)."

i wonder what she means? I know the area and we have a cycle/walking path around our estate, apart from that there is no other 'tricky' cycle paths that I know of.

doozerie wrote: »
    Good letter in the Irish Times today:

Saw that one, wish I'd written it. :P I particularly like the phrasing of:
    Painting footpaths pink and deeming them cycling facilities creates hazards for cyclists and pedestrians alike
    and
    it is somewhat depressing to see resources ploughed into facilitating the development of cycling facilities that do little to facilitate cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

t'bear wrote: »
    "with the exception of my transit through Ratoath, where I had to choose between possibly breaking my bike (by using the hazardous cycling facilities provided) and breaking the law (by not using them)."

i wonder what she means? I know the area and we have a cycle/walking path around our estate, apart from that there is no other 'tricky' cycle paths that I know of.

The one where you come off the roundabout with Foxlodge Woods on your right is fairly lumpy and pointless. I'm not sure where it starts exactly, but it does go in one end of the bus stop and out the other, which isn't very good if there's a bus there too. Further on, the path is quite high, and the track ends on a corner.

If she'd gone on straight at the roundabout, I think there's a short track there too, just outside the new school. It disappears around a corner into an estate, with no dished kerb to allow you to leave the path to continue on straight.

I take it she went on to Dunshaughlin via the GAA club, so she might have missed the elevated track that runs between the two roundabouts -- I know I did the first dozen or so times I passed. She would have also avoided the track that gives you a tour of the houses on the Rathfeigh road.

All pretty pointless and easily avoided tracks. Not sure if any of them have official signage, so they could have been ignored without any legal reproach :pac:

Is there any way of blocking his Garmin - he's starting to cause chaos Northside as well. I don't mind Ryan coming up here to take the hills off the likes of Raam, but these guys really need to leave the decents alone ...;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Downhill KOMs don't count.

• Advertisement

Downhill KOMs don't count.

Flat ones don't count either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement