Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Tesco Bargains [No Off-Topic Chat - See Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

moodrater wrote: »
    Well according to tesco they normally go to charity as opposed to the charity of mé féin.

I haven't seen that on any of the correspondence. Henry Dawson from customer service actually said
    It would be better to sell them at 1c then have to throw them away

That doesn't sound like they are going to charity, does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

Out of curiosity, what difference does it make to you taking the stock off the floor besides giving yourself the satisfaction that no one here will be able to take advantage of 1c stock?

LOL. There is no 1 cent TVs . Every Tesco should have a clear back store this time of year. The chance of getting an end of line are very slim at this stage .

I was messin. I hope and wished everyone on here got one.

If Soarer got one. Fair play. I take it that it was a Display Soarer?

Did you get any resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

You shouldn't mess about taking people's bargains away. They get fair annoyed.

As for my one, yeah 'twas a display model. I actually mentioned it on the previous page, but you must've missed it with all your hilarity.

There was a small bit of resistance until I showed the email. Then it was cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Picked up one of the EZ Mount tv brackets in Ashbourne this evening scanning at 1c this evening but one would assume nationwide. Marked at €19.99, scanning at 1c…...;)

$_35.JPG

Pic from google above, there were 3 left on the shelf after I bought mine. Did encounter some initial resistance though whilst they removed the security tag. The self-check area supervisor scanned it at her own area whilst she removed the tag then told me she couldn't sell it for 1c. Cue discussion and calling of manager. Manager was totally cool about it though, yup, fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Good job Butters.

So no email needed?

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    Good job Butters.

So no email needed?

No, manager was fine about it, lady at the till wasn't. Sorted in less than a min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Picked up one of the EZ Mount tv brackets in Ashbourne this evening scanning at 1c this evening but one would assume nationwide. Marked at €19.99, scanning at 1c…...;)

$_35.JPG
    How do you know an item or product is 1c other than bringing it to self service checkout to scan?

D Trent wrote: »
    How do you know an item or product is 1c other than bringing it to self service checkout to scan?

Most (not all) stores have price-check scanners located throughout the store.

Someone posted that item from, a few weeks back as scanning at 1c. I hadn't seen any in store until this evening so just chanced scanning it to see if it came up at 1c……..it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I take it no one found any irons at 1c or any decent reduction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

with it being valentines day tomorrow you cant go wrong with a pressie of a brand new shiny iron :cool:

ironFace.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Reminds me of that add at Christmas- of all the guys in A&E with household appliances stuck in various orifices and various improbable injuries. Think it may have been for Argos......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Do Tesco sell roses?????

Yes, last minute I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Do Tesco sell roses?????

Yes, last minute I know

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

The roses in Lidl are cheaper than tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Do Tesco sell roses?????

Yes, last minute I know

Get there early to get any decent bunches. Same for Aldi/Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

You buy the missus an iron for a gift you will be getting iron shaped holes in all your shirts and slacks for the next few weeks, can't go wrong with chocolates, flowers and or wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Do Tesco sell roses?????

Yes, last minute I know

They are beside the quality street. ;)

Soarer wrote: »
    You shouldn't mess about taking people's bargains away. They get fair annoyed.

As for my one, yeah 'twas a display model. I actually mentioned it on the previous page, but you must've missed it with all your hilarity.

There was a small bit of resistance until I showed the email. Then it was cleared.

I went to buy a Toshiba blu ray player that was scanning in at 1c at my local store and they wouldn't sell it to me. I had emailed Tesco Customer Service seperately so I had my own query code at the top of the mail and I had a copy of the email with me. I had probably 5 different staff members, none of them management, come up to me to tell me I couldn't buy the item (in front of other customers) and the most senior member on duty eventually came up to look at the email. The said they had to verify that the person in the email existed in the morning and that the correspondence was real and they said that what was stated in the email was contrary to what they were told was to be done when a customer was buying a 1 cent item. I left my number and they told me they'd ring me tomorrow. Really shoddy tbh and a fair bit embarrassing.

I've emailed the person that sent me the original email to outline to them what happened and to ask if they could let me know if anyone from the store gets in contact with them in relation to this and to see what they think is the proper resolution for this - I've got a feeling I'm going to get nothing from it. It's pretty annoying tbh. I'm not giving the store location for the time being because it's me local and I just want to see how it pans out. I'm just posting this to let people it might not all be plain sailing with the emails - I tried to dig my heels in this evening because I knew I was in the right but it was an embarrassing experience and I wasn't getting anywhere because they didn't believe that I had contacted customer service or if they did they didn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Jez, that's not on, whatever about someone on the floor not taking the risk letting the item go for 1c but the duty manager? They should be able to make a call in relation to customer service.

Do get back the the contact in customer service and get them to do the donkey work for you, get them to contact the store and instigate the call to you to resolve the issue.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Jez, that'snot on, whatever about someone on the floor not taking the risk letting the item go for 1c but the duty manager? They should be able to make a call in relation to customer service.

Do get back the the contact in customer service and get them to do the donkey work for you, get them to contact the store and instigate the call to you to resolve the issue.

I had no bother with the person that was serving me going to get the manager as I had nothing to hide but half the staff seemed to have been told and they took the time out to tell me they couldn't sell it.

Email has already been sent to customer service. I was only getting it as a present for a friend but tbh they way I was treated was a real pisser so I want to see what customer service say when they get back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭eggerb

That's not on at all. Will be interested to hear how this pans out....

hope you get a positive solution to this but anyone else expecting that blu ray player to go "missing" before this gets resolved?

Just an update.

I've got a reply from Customer Service apologising for the confusion the sale is causing and telling me my comments have been noted for Higher Management.

They also said they were talking to the Duty Manager this morning so I'm waiting to hear back from the store. I'll let you know what happens from there. Hopefully there'll be no problems from now on.

I'd suggest that if anyone wants to try to avail of the 1c items without skulking around self service, email Customer Service querying about the company's position on them. That way you have a line of communication with your own query code if the store refuses to sell to you. If you copy and paste they info from other people, it's going to be no use to you. I'll also be printing out all the correspondence so far to bring with me.

The Store Manager rang and told me he couldn't sell the item but could only offer it to me at half price because it was a high end electrical good. I told him any correspondence I or others received made no distinction between items marked 1 cent but he remained firm on that. I told him I'd check with customer service and I've emailed them to confirm their position so I'll let you know the story.

The Store Manager rang and told me he couldn't sell the item but could only offer it to me at half price because it was a high end electrical good. I told him any correspondence I or others received made no distinction between items marked 1 cent but he remained firm on that. I told him I'd check with customer service and I've emailed them to confirm their position so I'll let you know the story.

Faire dues for sticking with it. He must be under the impression its coming out of his paycheck!

Faire dues for sticking with it. He must be under the impression its coming out of his paycheck!

Tbf, I just want it clarified for my own sake because it's annoying getting seemingly conflicting messages from both sides. If customer service come back to me and say that they can't sell high end electrical goods at that price I'll say fair enough. I would have preferred to have known that at the beginning and saved myself the mild embarrassment of being confronted in the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

If an item is marked at lets say €50 but scans at 1 cent, surely they don't have to sell it, as it's marked at €50 ? If it's marked at 1 cent then that's a different story.Last week I got a DAB radio for 1 cent, it was marked €30, but I didn't have to get a security tag removed and went through self service and got away with it.

meathman0 wrote: »
    If an item is marked at lets say €50 but scans at 1 cent, surely they don't have to sell it, as it's marked at €50 ?

No they don't but its been outlined here and on hotukdeals that its at the managers discretion considering the customer service have already said you can buy it and the bargain bins are often brimmed with electrical stuff at 90% off how is he coming up with 50% off.

Who came up with the ludicrous idea of setting all the prices to 1c anyway if you don't want people to check out.

Tesco already have a system for safety recalls where the tills beep and flash up warnings and won't let you checkout with a safety recalled item, if they didn't want you to checkout with the 1c items they could leave the price at full and just flag them as recalled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭savemejebus

In terms of emailing Tesco about 1cent items, it seems to be hit and miss. I got a reply saying:
    When an item is reduced to 1c the product should have been removed from the shelves and either returned to the supplier or wasted. If by mistake the item was not removed and a customer had gone through the checkout then the sale would stand but if it was noticed before it went through the checkout then we have the right to refuse the sale.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement