Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Tesco Bargains [No Off-Topic Chat - See Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

leck wrote: »
    Thanks for this. Got a box of Magnum Mania this morning at Tesco Claremorris. Good deal, that's only 25c a bar.

No luck on finding the Dab radio or Breville iron.

Ditto here. Very little stock of magnums in nenagh but got 2, no dab and breville iron scanned at €16

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Really annoyed now I found an item priced at 1c
    Went to the self service till scanned it and

went to get the security tag removed and she goes and says that she can't sell that to me
    Went and got the manager and she came and said
    Sorry but I can't sell that to you because it's illegal as the system has no value for that item.

I questioned it as 1c is a value and she just went on about it being illegal and she walked away with it

kendragon wrote: »
    What was the item? Do you think they were keeping it for themselves?

It was a cordless drill
    I didn't really get the feeling that she wanted it for herself I reckon she was worried about being questioned about it on the cash count

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Really annoyed now I found an item priced at 1c. Went to the self service till scanned it and went to get the security tag removed and she goes and says that she can't sell that to me Went and got the manager and she came and said Sorry but I can't sell that to you because it's illegal as the system has no value for that item.

I questioned it as 1c is a value and she just went on about it being illegal and she walked away with it
    I bought three DVDs at 1c each last week. I used self-service checkout. The first one beeped and needed some kind of over-ride by the attendant. I had other items and she didn't look at the price. I thought she would have to approve the other two also, but maybe once she did the first one, it automatically let the other two through. So maybe if you had some other items in the transaction, you would have flown under the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

I have heard from several people who work in tesco that anything thats 1c doesnt not get sold. its supposed to be taken back and either destroyed or sold to staff at a reduced price * say a telly if its 1c, would be sold to staff for 50 euros with the money going to a charity. Now i picked up a game last week in clarehall for the ps vita, and it was scanning at 1c, the lady who served me couldnt sell it, but came back with a 2 euros price on it.
    The 1c items are few and far between now, what i bought was ink that was reduced to 68c, down from 38 euros. but it scanned at 1c. it had a yellow sel on it.
    so the advice I am giving you is put through a few items as well in the self scanner and then once its paid for get them to open it, or take the tag off it. ;)

• Advertisement

I bought three DVDs at 1c each last week. I used self-service checkout. The first one beeped and needed some kind of over-ride by the attendant. I had other items and she didn't look at the price. I thought she would have to approve the other two also, but maybe once she did the first one, it automatically let the other two through. So maybe if you had some other items in the transaction, you would have flown under the radar.

I think what caught me was the fact that she had trouble getting the security tag off so it took longer than normal I also had a bag of nuts so the total was 81c

But ya i reckon if I had my shopping and was putting loads through they might have left it slip.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

I bought a few items last weekend in Clarehall including a Kodak pack with photo paper and ink for 1c (original price was €25).
    Put everything through the self service and everything was through, got a girl to remove the security tag.
    She didn't look at the item so wouldn't have known if it was 1c or not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The 18's DVDs have an age checker for attendants (same as alcohol and some other products)- which could have been why it beeped. It probably was nothing to do with the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

stevieob wrote: »
    Got COD modern warfare 2 for ps3 on thurs in dundrum for 1cent. Was marked €5 but scanned cheap. Tried a few other dvds and games but no other discount to what was marked. There were a few CODs left though.

Was at self service till, yer one came over and took game off to manager but he approved the sale

I'm not very good at this game, actually I'm shockingly bad having never played anything other than football / golf and car games before!

waste of a cent :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I'm not very good at this game, actually I'm shockingly bad having never played anything other than football / golf and car games before!

You just need some motivation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭RayCon

Bring it back for a refund ... tell them its faulty :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Trade it in and get something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

B0jangles wrote: »
    Giant boxes of magnum ice-creams (8 full-sized ones, 2 of each flavour - classic, white, caramel and almond) are only 2 euro. I saw this in Bray but I think they are nationwide.

Perfect for this warm and sunny weather!

I posted this already before you in a regular thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Sam Mac wrote: »

Why? I thought all Tesco bargains went in this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Plenty of the Magnum Mania in Claremorris Tesco - 8pk regular size bars for €2. They were mis-shelved, which might be why they are still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Sam Mac wrote: »

If I'm destined to die of ice-cream headaches I want to take as many of yez with me as I can :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Jim Beam Devil's Cut 70ML 45% was €33 now €20.99, Clearwater.

Dont know if it's everywhere, looked like they were clearing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HairMare

dunworth1 wrote: »
    It was a cordless drill
    I didn't really get the feeling that she wanted it for herself I reckon she was worried about being questioned about it on the cash count

Hi it's not illegal to sell it at 1c, its managers discretion. All low value items like these are supposed to go charity, they don't, staff buy them or they go in bin! If you pay at self service before tag removal you win!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

HairMare wrote: »
    Hi it's not illegal to sell it at 1c, its managers discretion. All low value items like these are supposed to go charity, they don't, staff buy them or they go in bin! If you pay at self service before tag removal you win!

Actually I should correct you there on a couple of things.:o

Its not illegal to buy 1c items in Tesco:) But it is against policy. But you are correct about management discretion on the matter. If it was something small I would let it go through as it is not worth offending a returning customer. A TV on the other hand....

I work for Tesco and have never ever heard of a member of staff buy a 1 cent sale item. They know they are not for sale and it would not be worth disciplinary actions. Any that you may have witnessed are foolish.

These items are kept for charity and fund raising for the chosen charity of the company which is AWARE at the moment. They raise quite a bit of money for a very good cause.

These are my own opinions and not that of Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

some mundane grocery offers:

various large boxes of nestle cereals (Cheerios, Shredded Wheat, Shreddies, Cookie Crisp) - half price
    Twinings Everyday Tea (very nice tea IMO) - 160 bags half price.

they have some Crazy Prices wine sale on as well but I don't think Tesco is a great place to buy wine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

loyatemu wrote: »
    some mundane grocery offers:

various large boxes of nestle cereals (Cheerios, Shredded Wheat, Shreddies, Cookie Crisp) - half price
    Twinings Everyday Tea (very nice tea IMO) - 160 bags half price.

they have some Crazy Prices wine sale on as well but I don't think Tesco is a great place to buy wine...

Is that nationwide?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Actually I should correct you there on a couple of things.:o

Its not illegal to buy 1c items in Tesco:) But it is against policy. But you are correct about management discretion on the matter. If it was something small I would let it go through as it is not worth offending a returning customer. A TV on the other hand....

I work for Tesco and have never ever heard of a member of staff buy a 1 cent sale item. They know they are not for sale and it would not be worth disciplinary actions. Any that you may have witnessed are foolish.

These items are kept for charity and fund raising for the chosen charity of the company which is AWARE at the moment. They raise quite a bit of money for a very good cause.

These are my own opinions and not that of Tesco.

I was told it was illegal for them to sell me the PS3 game @ 1 cent, but they gave it to me anyway.

What a load of Horse Manure. Of course it is not illegal to sell something at 1 cent. I see you are actually talking sense though and saying it is against policy.... well this might be more appropriate.

But why? Why is it against policy? and moreso why are the items priced at 1 cent? it is clearly not a mistake as there have been so many of them. Somebody is pricing them up and then people are being stopped from purchasing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Someone queried being refused sale of 1p items on Tesco UK FB page last year, other people joined in the conversation but the main points were:

"Can you please clarify your position on 1p items in your stores please? I have just been stopped from buying some Jacobs crackers at my local store and feel both annoyed and embarrassed."

The response was:
    "If a product has been reduced down to 1p the store should not refuse the sale, are you able to advise where in store these were advertised as 1p and in which branch? .........

It may just be a training issue and as far as we are concerned these items are priced like this is to encourage the sale of the item as it is being removed from the range.

Thanks
    ***** - Customer Care

Personally i have been told (by friends who work in tesco) that these items are not meant to be sold - but considering the fact that when you get overcharged in my local tesco the type of refund they offer you depends on who happens to be serving on the CS desk rather than sticking to the Tesco "our promise" double the difference policy. If i had a query i would only trust the reply from head office not from anyone instore tbh. Not that my local store seems to have much by the way of offers just recently - even our TV section has been limited to all Technika/Toshiba tvs now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

I was told it was illegal for them to sell me the PS3 game @ 1 cent, but they gave it to me anyway.

What a load of Horse Manure. Of course it is not illegal to sell something at 1 cent. I see you are actually talking sense though and saying it is against policy.... well this might be more appropriate.

But why? Why is it against policy? and moreso why are the items priced at 1 cent? it is clearly not a mistake as there have been so many of them. Somebody is pricing them up and then people are being stopped from purchasing them.

The mistake is that they are on the shop floor. They are not reduced to clear at that price. There has been a mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Is that nationwide?

dunno - I haven't visited every store.

these were in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Right guys and gals.

I emailed Tesco Ireland customer services while ago and received the following reply.

"With regards to the 1c items these items are being discontinued. A customer can purchase these as it would be better to sell them at 1c then have to throw them away.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and if I can be of any further help please let me know.

Kind regards

Henry Dawson
    Tesco Ireland Customer Service"

So I guess we should be able to fill our boots guilt free.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Like I posted a few days ago many items I seen or bought for 1c have now returned to their pre clerence prices, Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides is now €7 again, I got it for 1c. Just seems they reupped the price of stock rather than throwing it out. Harry Potter 7part2 bluray was 1c this is now back upto €12.99

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Deal of the (last) decade in tesco Ballybrack

1607015_635588713163396_2055922075_n.jpg

Microsoft Student 2006(!) for €84.99

WITH A FREE MOUSE!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Are they seriously selling it for that? Or is this a joke?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Are they seriously selling it for that? Or is this a joke?

Swear to god! That's why I took the picture.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement