Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Tesco Bargains [No Off-Topic Chat - See Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Doublepost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

The only logical explanation I can think of for this hairbrained scheme is that is some kind of sneaky way of checking staff performance. i.e. if the staff don't race around taking this stuff off the shelves and they show up at the checkouts it reflects badly on them. Otherwise ask any classroom of school children and they will come up with a better system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

This is the reply I got back in relation to the conversation with the store manager:
    Thanks for getting back to me.

This would be done purely on the discretion of the Manager and there is no policy that this would be repeated. In light of this I think the half price offer is very generous as a gesture of goodwill.

Should you require any assistance in the future please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Happy enough to leave it there. I got clarification on it. Probably won't be going near my local Tesco for a while… :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

More sloppiness from Tesco - great PR for them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

The Store Manager rang and told me he couldn't sell the item but could only offer it to me at half price because it was a high end electrical good. I told him any correspondence I or others received made no distinction between items marked 1 cent but he remained firm on that. I told him I'd check with customer service and I've emailed them to confirm their position so I'll let you know the story.

I bought a 32" Sony tv. Don't think you're getting a much more high end electrical good than that.
    meathman0 wrote: »
    If an item is marked at lets say €50 but scans at 1 cent, surely they don't have to sell it, as it's marked at €50 ? If it's marked at 1 cent then that's a different story.Last week I got a DAB radio for 1 cent, it was marked €30, but I didn't have to get a security tag removed and went through self service and got away with it.

Wouldn't worry about the alarm if you're going through self serve. Go through, pay, and get your receipt. Then get the alarm taken off. They can't say a word to you then as the goods are yours. If they try take it off you, get them to call the guards.
    moodrater wrote: »
    No they don't but its been outlined here and on hotukdeals that its at the managers discretion considering the customer service have already said you can buy it and the bargain bins are often brimmed with electrical stuff at 90% off how is he coming up with 50% off.

Who came up with the ludicrous idea of setting all the prices to 1c anyway if you don't want people to check out.

The 1c thing is creative accounting.
    Reduce 10 €400 tvs to 1c. When they're thrown out, they have to write off 10c as oppesed to €4000.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Let's see how much overpriced flowers they have left tonight as Lidl and Aldi flood the market with much cheaper items.

Soarer wrote: »
    I bought a 32" Sony tv. Don't think you're getting a much more high end electrical good than that.

Ah, yeah, you done well there. I suppose I'd tell people to exercise caution. If you get the item, fair play to you but be prepared to be refused the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I got over 40 items for 1c each, dvds, games, cds and blurays all in the one transaction. This was on the 30th of January, I went to the self scan, only later when I went to the checkout to buy a few I had missed first time round did the guy on the till ask me who authorised the prices on these and I told him I had just bought a load of stuff a few minutes earlier.

Last Saturday I tried to buy a star wars toy for 1c in Jervis street and the staff member went nuts saying she had removed this item from the shelf and it is not for sale, seems a bit stupid really and I think many of us now would rather be spared the ****e from staff members flouting these every changing rules.

Good luck to anyone else still on the hunt, I am sure there will be loads of posts here in the coming days of loads of half price chocolates, flowers and teddy bears after today is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If they wanted to stop them being sold they I imagine they could just change the prices to €10,000 rather than 1cent.

Spiceburger twin packs are half price 99cent

HALF PRICE Was ...
    valid until 25/2/2014

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I got over 40 items for 1c each, dvds, games, cds and blurays all in the one transaction.

Fair play...and wow! Just wondering what you got?!
    Wish I'd gotten more than my tv wall support for 1c and one blu ray at €2.50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Where are ye finding these things? My locals are Tesco coonagh and the crescent

Where are ye finding these things? My locals are Tesco coonagh and the crescent

Tbf, most of the stuff is gone at this stage as most shops have had a complete stock clearance. I just happened to scan in the blu ray player and it came up as a cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I got over 40 items for 1c each, dvds, games, cds and blurays all in the one transaction. This was on the 30th of January, I went to the self scan, only later when I went to the checkout to buy a few I had missed first time round did the guy on the till ask me who authorised the prices on these and I told him I had just bought a load of stuff a few minutes earlier.

Last Saturday I tried to buy a star wars toy for 1c in Jervis street and the staff member went nuts saying she had removed this item from the shelf and it is not for sale, seems a bit stupid really and I think many of us now would rather be spared the ****e from staff members flouting these every changing rules.

Good luck to anyone else still on the hunt, I am sure there will be loads of posts here in the coming days of loads of half price chocolates, flowers and teddy bears after today is over.

You sure are living up to your name

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Ah balls

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Soarer wrote: »
    The 1c thing is creative accounting.
    Reduce 10 €400 tvs to 1c. When they're thrown out, they have to write off 10c as oppesed to €4000.

Very creative accounting that...... totally incorrect and wrong.

Goods should be shown in the stock valuation at the lower of cost price or the net realisable value. So a €400 TV would have probably cost €133 (guessing). So to reduce the Sale price from €400 to €0.01 would mean an adjustment (or write off) in the stock valuation of €132.99.

Now when they actually throw the thing in the bin, there will be a further write down of €0.01.

So the write off will always be the cost price, no matter what it is and never the higher selling price or the ridiculous €0.01

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Don't really understand it myself. It's how the manager tried to explain things to me before he crumbked and sold the telly for 1c! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

Back on topic about normal stuff. The 1c thang is getting old..

Soarer got a lucky break. Fair play.

These are shockin good. Got a few boxes for the freezer 2 euro

IDShot_225x225.jpg

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=274109038

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Jim Beam Devils Cut for 20.99 in Letterkenny which is pretty good bang for your buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭PETERDGRIFFIN

Long time lurker.

Got iPad Smart Cover in Tesco Merrion for 1c today. There are more there. Not sure all were 1c. Bring to self service as teller was saying no price available when checked and giving a one finger signal to the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭matchthis

Long time lurker.

Got iPad Smart Cover in Tesco Merrion for 1c today. There are more there. Not sure all were 1c. Bring to self service as teller was saying no price available when checked and giving a one finger signal to the manager.

What colour cover and model was it for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭PETERDGRIFFIN

I got a light grey poly. There were cream leather and possibly others. Fits my ipad 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Got iPad Smart Cover in Tesco Merrion for 1c today.

Do they have an instore scanner in Merrion do you know? I'm headed that way tomorrow myself to pick up one of these so I'll check a few other items too

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

True Blood Season 1 DVD marked as being reduced from €36.99 to €24.99 but scanning at €11.99 if anyone is looking for this.......Tesco Ashbounre but likely nationwide. Be quick! Wanted it as a present for someone so happy out. It is €24.99 in HMV and £12.99 STG on amazon so this is cheapest I've seen it to date, albeit by accident!

1854643-true-blood-season-1-dvd-boxset-0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭s982102

Long time lurker.

Got one ipad smart cover in Tesco Maynooth today for 1c as well.. Had to go through some argument to get it back home. There are at least five left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭ablelocks

xbox 360 battlefield 4 and need for speed rivals reduced to €32.99 in the crescent, limerick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

ablelocks wrote: »
    xbox 360 battlefield 4 and need for speed rivals reduced to €32.99 in the crescent, limerick.

Those aren't bargains. can be got for cheaper in many other places i.e. amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭lesnol

Saw a lady scan a TRESemme Salon Professional Ceramic Straightener 220 @ 1c in Tesco Nutgrove. There was some debate as to whether it was to be sold for 1c or whether she would have to pay the €20 which was stickered on it. Don't know how it turned out or whether there were any more in Nutgrove but there may be some out there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Any box still sitting in the shop with one of those yellow stickers on it can be estimated to be 1c.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭dunworth1

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Any box still sitting in the shop with one of those yellow stickers on it can be estimated to be 1c.

is that the yellow discounted sticker?
    i seen that on quite a few things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Will it not be the price on the yellow sticker? which may or may not be 1c.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement