Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann routes 109/109A Changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

I commute on the 109 service mon - fri and was delighted with the new xn service. I now realise it services the whole johnstown area and il probably consider using the car again. I can just imagine the frustration in the evenings when after the ardboyne stop, 30 mins later passengers who normally get off at the Mercy are stuck on the Kentstown road particullary when the schools are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Commuter109

kerosene wrote: »
    I commute on the 109 service mon - fri and was delighted with the new xn service. I now realise it services the whole johnstown area and il probably consider using the car again. I can just imagine the frustration in the evenings when after the ardboyne stop, 30 mins later passengers who normally get off at the Mercy are stuck on the Kentstown road particullary when the schools are back.

I think alot of people are possibly going to have to look at alternatives if they stick with this timetable.

It's a lazy effort in many ways having had 20 months to complete, I mean a bus leaving Navan at 12 midnight will purportedly take the same time as a bus leaving at 7.20 or 7.40 in the morning. Seriously ?????

In fact pretty much every bus will get you to Dublin in an hour and 5 regardless of the time of day or night or the route you go!!

I hear you re Johnstown and the schools, surely the buses going up there in the mornings and in and around the time the schools finish is just madness?

Fundamentally the problem here is that the XN assumes a uniform demand right through out the day, which is shocking, or being generous to them forgets that Navan is a commuter town of Dublin hence 6.30 - 8 and 4.30 to 7 are absolute key times. This I suppose is equally shocking!

I will be providing feedback for all the good it does.

Haven't got to have a look at the other timetables, but I am assuming places like Bracetown and Clonee are still hugely important places?

Again I haven't done any research on it, but had thought their might be possibilities for the Cabra road with the Luas next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

An item in the Meath Chronicle about the proposed changes, with the details included in the Bus Éireann press statement:

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/08/25/4125580-major-changes-on-way-for-meaths-commuters/

http://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=2123&month=Aug

Just got a text to say they are counting the number of people getting on the 5.30 express today ! Maybe sense will prevail .

That said they probably wouldn't factor in that it's still holiday season and students aren't back !

Also heard a rumour that new routes were tested in summer months when the traffic is always lighter

It took the 18.30 express bus only 52 minutes to get to the mercy this evening. Granted there didnt seem to be anything on at the 3 arena and the m50 was flowing freely, but i just cannot see the new service getting anywhere near this time.

The loop through johnstown is absoloute madness, approx 12/14 passengers got off at the Ardboyne today and approx 25 got off at mercy.

In reality its an express service to and from johnstown but there is no way its an express service for navan. Its no exaggeration to say it could take 30 mins from the Ardboyne to the mercy stop via Johnstown especially during school term time. Utter madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Can someone please clarify where exactly "South City Centre" is? Will the XN go to baggot street and beyond? Is St. Stephens Green the first pickup point?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Can someone please clarify where exactly "South City Centre" is? Will the XN go to baggot street and beyond? Is St. Stephens Green the first pickup point?
    We don't know!
    That's a question for BE.

However as its only given 4 mins to get to Beresford Place on the outbound trip, I'm guessing that it's Townsend Street as with the 103.

But I could be wrong!

lxflyer wrote: »
    We don't know!
    That's a question for BE.

However as its only given 4 mins to get to Beresford Place on the outbound trip, I'm guessing that it's Townsend Street as with the 103.

But I could be wrong!

"Where are the new 109 & XN services departing from in Dublin?
    The XN will depart from the St Stephens Green area"

How in Gods name will it do Stephen Greens to Bersford place in 4 minutes, particularly in peak traffic, ( with half the city dug up for Luas works).??

A press release issued today, Monday, 29th August, 2016, on Bus Éireann's site regarding the changes to the services: http://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=2123&month=Aug

(This new press release incorrectly states that the 109C will serve Dunshaughlin. Even though Bus Éireann acknowledged a few days ago, in the article in the Meath Chronicle, dated Friday 26th August 2016, that Dunshaughlin was listed as a typing mistake in emboldened text in the previous news update, this more recent statement still contains this incorrect listing.) http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/08/26/4125649-commuter-concern-over-bus-changes/

Overall, I think the changes to the services are very positive, considering the 109A is a 24 hour service to and from Kells, Navan, Dunshaughlin, Ratoath, Ashbourne, the airport and Dublin City Centre. It gives people more options.

But I just wonder, considering, I guess, that there'll be many more buses being used to implement the new services, would there be enough passengers using each of the separate services, and if there'd be enough passengers at any one time, throughout the day, using each of the separate 109 and XN services. In this regard I think if Bus Éireann advertised and publicised the services more, that would be welcome, perhaps in local media like The Anglo Celt, Meath Chronicle, LMFM and Northern Sound.

There are still people using the 109 service who don't know the 109A is 24 hours since 31st July, and that it leaves from Bus Aras throughout the night.

On Monday night 15th August, a full two weeks after the 109A had been operating 24 hours, there were passengers waiting at Bus Aras for the 11.30pm 109 - which was late getting to Bus Aras, on that particular night, (the 109 scheduled to leave at 11.30pm arrived at Bus Aras just before midnight) - who did not know that even if they had missed the 11.30pm 109, that they had the option of the 109A at 12.25am from Bus Aras. One passenger for Dunshaughlin, who was not able to get the midnight number 30 Donegal service which covers Navan and Kells, had thought he was stranded, because he thought the 11.30pm 109, (which had not arrived at the bus station till near midnight) was the last available service.

"We would like to thank our customers for the feedback received to date. We are currently reviewing all comments and suggestions, and will submit proposals for discussion with the National Transport Authority".

"No changes will be implemented until approved by the Authority. Once approved, customers will be notified a minimum of 10 days prior to any changes to our services on this corridor."

"As part of an ongoing review of services on the M3 Corridor and taking account of the feedback that was received in relation to an initial public consultation undertaken in early 2015, Bus Éireann now intend to introduce significant enhancements to the bus services on this corridor . These changes are similar to the proposals outlined previously in the public consultation (January 2015) and also take account of changing travel patterns and the evolving transport needs of our customers".

"The aim of these changes is to provide an enhanced network of services that not only meet the needs of existing customers but will also attract new customers. The revised services will provide all the major towns and villages along the corridor with appropriate service levels throughout the day and weekends through a mixture of routes".

"The following is a brief summary of the proposed changes which have been approved in principle by the National Transport Authority. Detailed summary timetables of all services by town are available below":

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1471362175-Summary-Timetable--Navan-Dublin.pdf

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1471362174-Summary-Timetable--Dublin-Navan.pdf

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1471362089-Summary-Timetable--Cavan-Virginia-Kells-Dublin.pdf

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1471362173-Summary-Timetable--Dublin-Kells-Virginia-Cavan.pdf

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1471362088-Summary-Timetable--Athboy-Trim-Dunshaughlin-Dublin.pdf

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1471362172-Summary-Timetable--Dublin-Dunshaughlin-Trim-Athboy.pdf

"We would now welcome any further customer feedback & comments in relation to the summary timetables outlined above and these can be forwarded to feedback@buseireann.ie".

"The following provides a brief summary of each timetable for the proposals outlined above":

Route XN: Navan – Johnstown (Super Valu) – M3 – Dublin South City Centre

Monday to Friday / Saturday / Sunday

"Route XN will be a dedicated bus service that will operate directly between Navan town centre and Dublin City Centre, using the following route:
    Navan – Johnstown - M3 Motorway – M50 – Finglas – Phibsborough – O’Connell Street – South City Centre".

"Between Monday and Friday, this service will operate from 5:40am to 11.30pm, every 20 to 30 minutes. There will also be frequent services at the weekend, operating every 20 to 30 minutes during the day. This will be complemented by the 109A service which will now provide an overnight service between Navan and Dublin City Centre via Dublin Airport".

"Route XN will provide a quick, direct and comfortable bus service between Navan and Dublin City Centre and environs. This will significantly improve the travelling experience by improving the reliability of bus services operating between Navan, Blanchardstown and Dublin and reducing journey times for customers. Route XN will also provide better opportunities for interchange with other public transport services, to ensure that access to public transport in Navan and County Meath is enhanced".

Route 109: Kells – Navan - Dunshaughlin – Dublin City Centre

"Route 109 will be an hourly service that will operate between Kells and Dublin City Centre, via Navan, Dunshaughlin, Clonee and Blanchardstown, using the following route:
    Kells – R147 (Old N3) – Navan – R147 – Dunshaughlin – R147 – Bracetown – Clonee – Blanchardstown – Navan Road – Phibsborough – Dublin city centre – Busáras".

"Additional services will be operated in the morning and evening from Monday to Friday. Route 109 will provide a regular service along the old N3 and will ensure continued connectivity along the corridor between rural and urban areas. Route 109 will be one of two core services that will operate between Dunshaughlin and Dublin City Centre. The changes being made will enhance capacity for customers in Dunshaughlin, as a significant proportion of Navan customers will be using Route XN to access Dublin city centre".

"An enhanced service to/from Bailieborough will also be provided as part of the route".

Route 109A: Kells – Navan – Dunshaughlin - Ratoath - Ashbourne – Airport – DCU - City Centre

"Route 109A was enhanced at the start of August 2016 with the introduction of a 24 hour service linking Kells with Dublin Airport via Navan, Dunshaughlin, Ratoath and Ashbourne. The enhancements to Route 109A include the provision of overnight services to Dublin City Centre".

Route 109B: Athboy – Trim - Dunshaughlin – Dublin City Centre

"Route 109B route will replace the current Route 111 and will provide an hourly service from Athboy/Trim to Dublin City Centre, via Dunshaughlin and the Navan Road. Additional services will be operated in the morning and evening from Monday to Friday".
    "Taking into account the changes to other routes, there will be an increase in the number of services operating between Trim and Dublin City Centre. Route 109B will complement services operating through Dunshaughlin on Routes 109 and 109A".

Route 109C: Trim – Kilmessan – Dunsany – Dunshaughlin – Dublin City Centre

"Route 109C will operate between Trim and Dublin City Centre, via Kilmessan, Dunsany and Batterstown. This new route will operate every 2 hours from Monday to Saturday, with a reduced service on Sundays.
    Route 109C will provide significantly enhanced public transport services from small towns and rural areas along this corridor including direct access between these areas and Dublin City Centre. Route 109C will complement the services provided on Route 109B between Trim and Dublin City Centre".

Route 109X: Cavan – Virginia – Kells – M3 Motorway - (Navan) – Finglas QBC -Dublin City Centre

"Route 109X will operate between Cavan and Dublin City Centre, via Virginia, Kells, M3 motorway and Finglas between 04:45am and 11:15pm, Monday to Sunday. A number of services will operate via Navan.
    This revised service will provide a quick, direct and comfortable bus service between Cavan and Dublin City Centre and environs. This will significantly improve the travelling experience by improving the reliability of bus services operating between Cavan, Blanchardstown and Dublin and reducing journey times for customers. The changes being made will ensure that access to public transport in Cavan and in the wider Cavan and County Meath area is enhanced".

"Monday, 29th August, 2016."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Bit of a pain that he 109X will not now go to Leeson St. I often get the 7.30 bus from Virginia and it is very handy not to have to get off on O'Connell Street and continue on to Leeson Street. The journey will be a lot longer now (even if I walk) as I will have to get off on O'Connell Street and wait for a Dublin Bus to Leeson St that will stop at every bus stop along the way.

gazzer wrote: »
    Bit of a pain that he 109X will not now go to Leeson St. I often get the 7.30 bus from Virginia and it is very handy not to have to get off on O'Connell Street and continue on to Leeson Street. The journey will be a lot longer now (even if I walk) as I will have to get off on O'Connell Street and wait for a Dublin Bus to Leeson St that will stop at every bus stop along the way.

I'd like to think that Bus Éireann will continue running the particular 109 services in the morning to Wilton Terrace and back again at 4pm, 5pm and 6pm.

Its most recent statement doesn't appear to rule out making alterations to its proposed changes.

I would guess, that as long as there is a demand for particular services at certain times of the day, to and from Dublin, Bus Éireann will operate these particular services.

As an example, I would be surprised if Bus Éireann took a decision to discontinue the Monday to Friday express services from Navan at 7.05am and 7.20am in the morning, and home again from Bus Aras at 5.30pm and 6.30pm.

If these new timetables encourage more people to use the services, it might merit running some more express buses between Navan and Dublin?

http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1425902151-109.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Any indication what's going on with Ardboyne to Johnstown? A u turn?

It took the 18.30 express bus only 52 minutes to get to the mercy this evening. Granted there didnt seem to be anything on at the 3 arena and the m50 was flowing freely, but i just cannot see the new service getting anywhere near this time.

The loop through johnstown is absoloute madness, approx 12/14 passengers got off at the Ardboyne today and approx 25 got off at mercy.

In reality its an express service to and from johnstown but there is no way its an express service for navan. Its no exaggeration to say it could take 30 mins from the Ardboyne to the mercy stop via Johnstown especially during school term time. Utter madness.

I did the same trip this evening . 58 minutes . The exact statistics were 13 passangers at ardboyne , 27 at mercy convent . So 200 % more using the town centre stop .

NTA's solution , increase the stops serving Johnstown area 4 fold 🙄🙄. Brilliant

If the new route goes ahead as planned il probably take the car, il give it a week but I know if im stuck on the bus on the athlumney road in particular, il be pissed off.
    The trip from ardboyne to mercy is 5 mins max, via johnstown it could easily take 20/30 mins, it would be very frustrating to be so close to home yet have a considerable unnecessary journey still to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The XN should not serve Johnstown at all, it should be served by the hourly 109.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The XN should not serve Johnstown at all, it should be served by the hourly 109.

If you lived in Johnstown, and you were commuting every day to Dublin, would you not like to be able to get a bus that doesn't go through Dunshaughlin, Clonee or go round and into the stops at Blanchardstown Shopping Centre?

(Does anyone know, if Bus Éireann implements the new proposals as listed, whether or not it is going to avoid going into the stops near the shopping centre throughout the whole day? I ask this, because of the way, that at the moment, there are certain 109 buses going towards Dublin, later on after the earlier morning services, and then during the day, that will go into the stops near the shopping centre, if asked by passengers, rather than just the slip road stops).

(The current 109 timetable specifically mentions the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre stops, to and from Dublin, as well as the slip road stops, but I noticed in the proposed changes, that the Blanchardstown Slip Road stops are mentioned as stops, but not the Shopping Centre).

That issue of intermediate stops has been discussed in this forum numerous times. Passengers in Cavan and Virginia don't want to go through Kells, Navan, Dunshaughlin or Blanchardstown. Kells passengers don't want to go through Navan, Dunshaughlin or Blanchardstown. Navan passengers don't want to go through Dunshaughlin, Clonee or Blanchardstown.

I would guess that as long as the demand is there, and enough people are waiting at the Market Square in Navan at the one time, to fill a bus, for an express bus from Market Square to Dublin, with no stops in between, at particular times of the morning, and then from Dublin in the evening, that Bus Éireann will run these express services, as well as operating other XN services through Johnstown to Dublin.

At other times of the day, when the traffic would not be as heavy going through Johnstown, I'm not sure there would be enough people at Navan Market Square alone, getting on at any one time, to merit the proposed XN buses not also serving Johnstown.
    If the new route goes ahead as planned il probably take the car, il give it a week but I know if im stuck on the bus on the athlumney road in particular, il be pissed off.
    The trip from ardboyne to mercy is 5 mins max, via johnstown it could easily take 20/30 mins, it would be very frustrating to be so close to home yet have a considerable unnecessary journey still to go.

I would imagine that Bus Éireann will continue to operate certain express services in the morning and evening to and from Dublin from Navan town centre at Market Square - around the same time as the 7.05am and 7.20am 109 services from Navan to Dublin and the 5.30pm and 6.30pm services from Dublin to Navan.

If the demand is there for express services to and from Navan and Dublin, that don't stop anywhere in between, at those particular times of the morning and evening, I see no reason why Bus Éireann would discontinue these express services.

I think that the most recent press statement from Bus Éireann suggests that it is open to making alterations or additions, to accommodate demand.

I never suggested there was demand for an express service from Navan Town Center to Dublin. But, BE by naming their new proposed route as XN, give the impression of an express service to Navan when in fact it is an express service to Johnstown.

There is an excellent service from Dublin at 17.30 & 18.30 via the Port Tunnel and the numbers off passengers on this service would justify keeping this route open and prehaps extending it, by having an 18.00 bus as well. But my understanding is that no more buses are to use the port tunnel which is baffling, considering it gets to Navan within an hour and still serves all stops on old n3 from Garlow cross to the Mercy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I never suggested there was demand for an express service from Navan Town Center to Dublin. But, BE by naming their new proposed route as XN, give the impression of an express service to Navan when in fact it is an express service to Johnstown.

There is an excellent service from Dublin at 17.30 & 18.30 via the Port Tunnel and the numbers off passengers on this service would justify keeping this route open and prehaps extending it, by having an 18.00 bus as well. But my understanding is that no more buses are to use the port tunnel which is baffling, considering it gets to Navan within an hour and still serves all stops on old n3 from Garlow cross to the Mercy.

Anybody intending to engage with Bus Eireann,or more appropriately,the NTA,really needs to focus on this reality.

This form of routing really does underline the purpose of the DP Tunnel and how effective it actually is WHEN it is utilized.

Quite why the players in the 109 saga continue to be so reluctant about utilizing it,and more worryingly,why they shy away from further developing it's use remains baffling in the extreme.

It's worthwhile recalling that old Radio Advert Slogan...."Only an Hour from Dublin" and then recognizing that it remains possible even in the 21st Century....but only IF the infrastructure is used.

Doubling the current peak time 109 DPT useage would be an eminently sensible starting point ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

If you lived in Johnstown, and you were commuting every day to Dublin, would you not like to be able to get a bus that doesn't go through Dunshaughlin, Clonee or go round and into the stops at Blanchardstown Shopping Centre?

I would love such a bus, so what I would do is go the the existing bus stop that services the faster bus, rather than expecting the bus to come to me and delay everybody else. Reality is with all of these new stops in Johnstown, people getting on there, will still have a slower journey than they currently do.

Everybody in Navan would love a quick bus passing their front door, but the reality is that that wouldn't work!

Commuters from every other suburb of Navan, have to make their way to the bus, the bus doesn't come to them.

That is the fundamental problem as pointed out above, this route is fundamentally designed for Johnstown, which ignores the fact Navan is the main town not Johnstown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Yes but then I would remember that old saying about pleasing all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time......

The people of Johnstown could get the 109 bus to the Ardboyne stop and get the next faster XN bus from there if they want.
    (Does anyone know, if Bus Éireann implements the new proposals as listed, whether or not it is going to avoid going into the stops near the shopping centre throughout the whole day? I ask this, because of the way, that at the moment, there are certain 109 buses going towards Dublin, later on after the earlier morning services, and then during the day, that will go into the stops near the shopping centre, if asked by passengers, rather than just the slip road stops).

(The current 109 timetable specifically mentions the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre stops, to and from Dublin, as well as the slip road stops, but I noticed in the proposed changes, that the Blanchardstown Slip Road stops are mentioned as stops, but not the Shopping Centre).

The proposed new timetables do not go into the shopping centre which is the way it always should have been!

The 120 bus does not go into Liffey Valley, there are other examples where bus eireann commuter services serve these large shopping centres without actually going through the car parks where they get delayed and bogged down in traffic

That issue of intermediate stops has been discussed in this forum numerous times. Passengers in Cavan and Virginia don't want to go through Kells, Navan, Dunshaughlin or Blanchardstown. Kells passengers don't want to go through Navan, Dunshaughlin or Blanchardstown. Navan passengers don't want to go through Dunshaughlin, Clonee or Blanchardstown.

I would guess that as long as the demand is there, and enough people are waiting at the Market Square in Navan at the one time, to fill a bus, for an express bus from Market Square to Dublin, with no stops in between, at particular times of the morning, and then from Dublin in the evening, that Bus Éireann will run these express services, as well as operating other XN services through Johnstown to Dublin.

At other times of the day, when the traffic would not be as heavy going through Johnstown, I'm not sure there would be enough people at Navan Market Square alone, getting on at any one time, to merit the proposed XN buses not also serving Johnstown.

I would imagine that Bus Éireann will continue to operate certain express services in the morning and evening to and from Dublin from Navan town centre at Market Square - around the same time as the 7.05am and 7.20am 109 services from Navan to Dublin and the 5.30pm and 6.30pm services from Dublin to Navan.

If the demand is there for express services to and from Navan and Dublin, that don't stop anywhere in between, at those particular times of the morning and evening, I see no reason why Bus Éireann would discontinue these express services.

I think that the most recent press statement from Bus Éireann suggests that it is open to making alterations or additions, to accommodate demand.

We all want buses to serve exactly where we live and going to the places we work and play but the reality is that the majority should be top of the pile in dictating where the routes serve, unless there is some political or other interference.

As far as the port tunnel goes, I can see Bus Eireann using the same buses as are on the 103/105 services for the new XN service to Navan and that is why they are bringing the buses out along the QBC to Finglas.

I guess Bus Éireann has received feedback from bus users in Johnstown, to the extent that it reckons there'll be enough passengers using such a service throughout the day, otherwise, why would Bus Éireann decide to include Johnstown in its proposed Navan Dublin XN service?

I don't know, but I imagine that Bus Éireann has decided to serve Johnstown on the proposed XN service throughout the day, as perhaps there are only certain services in the morning and evening to and from Dublin, where the buses would be almost full with passengers getting on and off at Market Square and the Ardboyne Hotel.

I guess it has decided to serve Johnstown on the XN service because at other times of the day, where traffic would not be as heavy, there'd be enough space on the buses for passengers at Market Square, the Ardboyne Hotel, and the stops through Johnstown.

Later on in the day, it doesn't take that long for the services, from Navan to Dublin, to go through Johnstown.

As an example, there is a 109 bus to Dublin, scheduled to leave Navan at 2.55pm that serves Johnstown.

Often, even though it goes through Johnstown, it is in Dublin at around 4pm, or shortly after 4pm, and is well ahead of the scheduled 3.05pm 109 at Navan Market Sqaure, which leaves Cavan at 2pm and may not arrive in Navan till around 3.10pm, or 3.15pm, and may not be in O'Connell Street will around 4.10pm, 4.15pm, or 4.20pm, even though it avoids Dunshaughlin by going the M3 route.

I still think that if there are enough passengers at Market Square and the Ardboyne, for Dublin at certain times of the morning and at Bus Aras in the evening, that it will continue services that don't stop anywhere after the Ardboyne and also have the Ardboyne as a first stop on the way home from Dublin.

Considering, as you have emphasised, that this service service is busy, I see no reason why Bus Éireann would end such a service.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Yes but then I would remember that old saying about pleasing all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time......

The people of Johnstown could get the 109 bus to the Ardboyne stop and get the next faster XN bus from there if they want.
    The proposed new timetables do not go into the shopping centre which is the way it always should have been!

The 120 bus does not go into Liffey Valley, there are other examples where bus eireann commuter services serve these large shopping centres without actually going through the car parks where they get delayed and bogged down in traffic

We all want buses to serve exactly where we live and going to the places we work and play but the reality is that the majority should be top of the pile in dictating where the routes serve, unless there is some political or other interference.

As far as the port tunnel goes, I can see Bus Eireann using the same buses as are on the 103/105 services for the new XN service to Navan and that is why they are bringing the buses out along the QBC to Finglas.

Stating that the other 109 should serve Johnstown, is facilitating the Navan Market Square passengers but then inconveniencing Kells passengers.

Saying the other 109 should serve Johnstown isn't a solution, as it inconveniences passengers from Kells on the 109, who also have to go through Dunshaughlin.

I've said this already, but I imagine it won't take that long at other times of the day, after the morning heavier traffic, for the proposed XN to Dublin to get through Johnstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

As I posted already - this frankly is (in my view) only a peak hour issue.

The solution is straightforward - have a limited number (say four in each direction) of peak time direct expresses from Navan town centre and the Ard Boyne non-stop via the Port Tunnel in addition to the XN, and reduce the number of stops at Blanchardstown at peak times.

That's all that needs to happen - the service would be fine for the rest of the day.

Hope this morning, isn't a sign of things to come now that everyone is finished holidays and kids are back

One 7.20 express arrived rather than the usual two, and it arrived at 7.27. Long and short of it was it was 7.48 before we got on the motorway.

So ball park half an hour after the suppose departure time, we got onto the motorway.

I know Mondays are always bad, and the mess up this morning didn't help, but any given morning I cant see how the bus is going to serve another 5 or 6 stops, travel 3km furthers and make the motorway in 13 minutes!

A timetable news update on Bus Éireann's site, dated Tuesday 6th September 2016:

http://buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=2138&month=Sep

M3 Corridor Proposals - Customer Update

"Following a full review of services on the M3 Corridor including the initial public consultation carried out in early 2015, a detailed summary of proposed service enhancements (approved in principle by the National Transport Authority) was made available on our website for feedback/comment from our customers and the general public".

"We would firstly like to thank our customers for the feedback received, which has now been fully reviewed by Bus Éireann in conjunction with the National Transport Authority. Based on this review process the following adjustments will be made to the already published proposals:".
    XN Route

• All services will operate to the southside of the city centre (Monday to Sunday)
    • The southside terminus for this route will be Wilton Terrace with additional stops at Merrion Square & Westland Row (Pearse Station)
    • A new stop will be provided before the bridge at the Ardboyne Hotel to facilitate customers at this location
    Athboy/Trim – Dublin Corridor

• Services between Athboy/Trim to Dublin will remain numbered as Route 111 and will operate as per the current routing via Batterstown & the M3 (This service will not operate via Clonee)
    • Two Weekday Route 111X services will link Clonmellon, Delvin & Athboy (07.00 & 07.30) to Wilton Terrace via the M3 Motorway. Two return services will depart from Wilton Terrace in the evening peak.
    • The proposed routing linking Kilmessan/Dunsany to Dublin will now operate via Killeen Rd & Dunshaughlin and will be numbered 109B. This service will follow the Route 109 routing from Dunshaughlin.
    • Two peak hour services will link Trim to the south city centre with one service extended to UCD Belfield
    Mater Hospital

• The weekday 109X service which departs Cavan at 04.45 and Kells at 05.45 will operate via the old N3 between Kells and Navan and will operate inbound to the city centre via the Navan Rd and serve the Mater Hospital (Berkley Rd Stop)
    • An additional weekday late afternoon departure will start at the Mater Hospital and operate all stops to Virginia.
    • An additional evening service will operate to Virginia via Navan, serving current Mater Hospital stop
    • All Route 109, 109B and 111 services will serve the current Mater Hospital Stops
    • Routes 109X, 111X and XN services will continue to serve the stops on Phibsboro Rd and Dorset St.
    Additional Information

• Two additional service’s linking Trim/Dunshaughlin/Navan directly to Dublin City University will be introduced on 12 September 2016 and will operate throughout the college year.
    • A service will continue to depart Virginia at 06.25 and extend to UCD Belfield
    • An additional evening service at 17.35 will operate to Virginia via Navan and the Mater Hospital
    • Three peak services will link Kells directly to the south city centre with two of these services extending to UCD Belfield
    "Thank you for your feedback to date and if you would like to comment further on the above please forward to feedback@buseireann.ie".

Tuesday, 6th September, 2016."

"A new stop will be provided before the bridge at the Ardboyne Hotel to facilitate customers at this location"

So assumedly then nothing has really changed, except an extra stop for Johnstown?

I'm assuming the idea is now the "XN" will service the new stop and still go around the world.

So still no true expresses and No DPT in the evenings. Joke shop

Need to have a look at the Sillian option I think

I would jump to sillian no bother if they had an earlier bus from navan. I need to be in the city for 7 i dont think their early bus gets me there on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

No timetable provided by BE so it unclear to me. From my reading the proposed 109B no longer serves Dunshaughlin and there's nothing to replace it? If so services are majorly impacted which I don't think could be the case

• Advertisement

"A new stop will be provided before the bridge at the Ardboyne Hotel to facilitate customers at this location"

So assumedly then nothing has really changed, except an extra stop for Johnstown?

I'm assuming the idea is now the "XN" will service the new stop and still go around the world.

So still no true expresses and No DPT in the evenings. Joke shop

Need to have a look at the Sillian option I think

Im guessing it might go up to the roundabout at supervalu in johnstown and back down onto dublin road.

Absoloute madness that the dpt service is cancelled. I was on the 5.45 bus one day last week and after 45 mins we still were not as far as the Halfway house pub.

Advertisement