Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann routes 109/109A Changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭tom23

Almost twenty years using bus eireann 109 and All I can is that this service is stretched beyond maximum. Sooner the better a long term strategy is in place for public transport because right now 70minutes from bus aras to blanch the slip road is simply not acceptable. Logistically this bus route is trying to cover to large of an area.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

tom23 wrote: »
    Almost twenty years using bus eireann 109 and All I can is that this service is stretched beyond maximum. Sooner the better a long term strategy is in place for public transport because right now 70minutes from bus aras to blanch the slip road is simply not acceptable. Logistically this bus route is trying to cover to large of an area.

20yrs ! that deserves a medal. I'd fully agree with you

12:30 night bus never showed up tonigh!. I've a sneaky suspicion they just put on the 12:25 109a. It's not acceptable for a night rider bus not to show when there isn't an alternative method

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

tara83 wrote: »
    12:30 night bus never showed up tonigh!. I've a sneaky suspicion they just put on the 12:25 109a. It's not acceptable for a night rider bus not to show when there isn't an alternative method

The thing is, now there is an alternative. Since 31st July, the 109A runs every hour 24 hours, to and from Kells and the towns in between, and doesn't take that much longer to get to Navan than the 109N.

A lot of people who use either the 12.30am 109N or the 3.30am 109N, say that there should be another 109N bus from Dublin in between 12.30am and 3.30am.

Now, there are hourly 109A services from Dublin city Centre seven nights a week, not just two late night services on Friday and Saturday nights.

Since 31st July, there are hourly 109A services from Bus Aras to Ashbourne, Ratoath, Dunshaughlin, Navan and Kells.

Even though the 109A picks up at the airport after leaving from Bus Aras during the night, it doesn't take that much longer to get back to Navan, compared to the 109N services at 12.30am and 3.30am.

I would say the 109A services from Bus Aras at night, take about 10 minutes longer than the 109N services on Friday and Saturday nights, to get back to Navan.

The 12.30am 109N from Bus Aras usually gets to Navan around 1.40am, and then does the return journey from Navan back to Dublin at 1.45am.

Did you get either the 12.25am or 1.25am 109A from the Store Street side of Bus Aras, or were you waiting for the 109N near Pennys / GPO on O'Connell Street?

Sometimes it is near 12.45am, by the time the 109N gets to the pick up point at O'Connell Street, I guess because it takes longer for people buying tickets, because anyone getting on at Bus Aras, has to pay a single cash one way fare, as a result of the nightriders not accepting tickets bought on the general routes that cover Ratoath, Dunshaughlin and Navan.

http://buseireann.ie/timetables/1473263565-109A.pdf

I'm aware of all of what you just said. Myself and about 10 other people waited until 1am at the O Connell st stop. The 101 Drogheda bus arrived at 12:40 and the 109 generally follows within a few minutes.

Thankfully some others decided to walk to Bus aras to catch the 01:25 109a as its not a walk I'd make on my own at that hour.

• Advertisement

I'm aware of all of what you just said. Myself and about 10 other people waited until 1am at the O Connell st stop. The 101 Drogheda bus arrived at 12:40 and the 109 generally follows within a few minutes.

Thankfully some others decided to walk to Bus aras to catch the 01:25 109a as its not a walk I'd make on my own at that hour.

Just wondering, if you were aware of the 24 hour 109A service, why did you say that there wasn't an alternative method to the 109N?

Just wondering, if you were aware of the 24 hour 109A service, why did you say that there wasn't an alternative method to the 109N?

It goes from a different location and is an hour later. Whether there's an alternative or not a bus not running is unacceptable. Its similar to outside peak times during the day when buses often don't show or are very late. If you have somewhere to be you cannot rely on the service.

It goes from a different location and is an hour later. Whether there's an alternative or not a bus not running is unacceptable. Its similar to outside peak times during the day when buses often don't show or are very late. If you have somewhere to be you cannot rely on the service.

I didn't make any excuse for the 109N not running.

I asked you why you stated that there was no alternative to the 109N.

I was saying that there is an alternative to the 109N, a much more frequent 109A service that runs hourly every night, and not just two services, three hours apart, on Friday and Saturday nights at 12.30am and 3.30am.

Both the 109N at 12.30am and 3.30am, and the 109A at 12.25am start from the Store Street side of Bus Aras. All the 109A services from Dublin during the night start from Bus Aras before going to the airport.

In fairness, they don't go from a different location. They pick up at different locations, after leaving from the same departure point, at Store Street outside Bus Aras, where there is a security guard in attendance during the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

In fairness, they don't go from a different location. They pick up at different locations, after leaving from the same departure point, at Store Street outside Bus Aras, where there is a security guard in attendance during the night.

Ah Bus Arsa. A place that would fill anyone with confidence during the day, now with its carefully crafted ambience available throughout the night.

Apart for the landowners along the M3, what exactly did Noel Dempsey Deliver, again?

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Ah Bus Arsa. A place that would fill anyone with confidence during the day, now with its carefully crafted ambience available throughout the night.

Apart for the landowners along the M3, what exactly did Noel Dempsey Deliver, again?

The point is, there is an alternative to the 109N services on Friday and Saturday nights - an hourly 109A bus service. The 109A services leave before, at pretty much time same time, and after the 109N services are scheduled to leave Bus Aras. The 109A services also depart from the Store Street side of Bus Aras. These are the issues I was highlighting.

It is not correct to say that there is no alternative to the 109N service at 12.30am and 3.30am on Friday and Saturday nights.

There are 109A's from Bus Aras at 12.25am, 1.25am, 2.25am, 3.25am, 4.25am, 5.25am and 6.25am, every night. The 109A has been operating 24 hours, and departing from Bus Aras during the night, since 31st July 2016.

It could only be argued that there was no alternative to the 109N from Bus Aras at 12.30am and 3.30am on Friday and Saturday nights, if the 109A services throughout the night were not operating from the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

only available until 11pm then you wait outside on the footpath!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

The point is, there is an alternative to the 109N services on Friday and Saturday nights - an hourly 109A bus service. The 109A services leave before, at pretty much time same time, and after the 109N services are scheduled to leave Bus Aras. The 109A services also depart from the Store Street side of Bus Aras. These are the issues I was highlighting.

It is not correct to say that there is no alternative to the 109N service at 12.30am and 3.30am on Friday and Saturday nights.

There are 109A's from Bus Aras at 12.25am, 1.25am, 2.25am, 3.25am, 4.25am, 5.25am and 6.25am, every night. The 109A has been operating 24 hours, and departing from Bus Aras during the night, since 31st July 2016.

It could only be argued that there was no alternative to the 109N from Bus Aras at 12.30am and 3.30am on Friday and Saturday nights, if the 109A services throughout the night were not operating from the city centre.

No sign yet of that train that Dempsey claimed he was delivering though.

No sign yet of that train that Dempsey claimed he was delivering though.

Very true, but one advantage the various bus services - which operate to and from Dublin and various other parts of the country - have over the train services, is that they operate much later, with connections throughout the night to and from Dublin.

Even the bus companies that don't run services during the night and early morning, still have services from particular towns along the routes of their services, that run later than the last train services from those towns.

For example, Dublin Coach run a bus from Cork to Dublin that picks up at McDonagh Train Station in Kilkenny at 9.45pm. Bus Éireann runs a service from Clonmel at 2.35am to Dublin that picks up at Kilkenny at 3.15am.

The last train from Kilkenny to Dublin is 7.02pm Monday to Saturday and 6.43pm on Sundays.

These bus services include the Bus Éireann service to and from Belfast and Dublin. which operates every two hours to and from Bus Aras and The Europa Bus Centre between 11pm and 5am and the Bus Éireann service between Clonmel, Kilkenny and Dublin.

JJ Kavanagh's runs services to and from Waterford and Dublin as well as a service to and from Shannon, Limerick and Dublin and another service to and from Clonmel, Kilkenny and Dublin.

Dublin Coach runs services between Tralee, Ennis, Limerick and Dublin and a service covering Cork, Kilkenny and Dublin. Aircoach runs a 24 hour service to and from Dublin and Belfast as well as to and from Dublin and Cork. Aircoach also has 24 hour services between Leopardstown and Dublin Airport, Dalkey/Kiliney, the city centre and the airport, as well as another 24 hour service between Greystones and Dublin Airport.

Other services include Citylink and Go Bus services between Dublin and Galway, with both companies running services during the night to Dublin from the New Coach Station in Galway.

http://buseireann.ie/timetables/1470224678-X1.pdf

http://buseireann.ie/timetables/1442312641-X7.pdf

http://jjkavanagh.ie/time-tables

http://www.dublincoach.ie/timetables-fares/dublin-coach-routes.php

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/04_dublin-waterford_25052015.pdf

http://www.aircoach.ie/timetables

http://www.citylink.ie/timetables

http://www.gobus.ie/timetable.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Had a great 20 minute wait on the bus yesterday morning when the 11am bus from Cavan got stuck behind a Bin lorry when going up the main street in Navan. It was 12.40 before we got out of Navan. 1.40 before we got into O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The 111X is being launched on Monday next.

http://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=2157&month=Oct

Customer Notice: Route 111X: Clonmellon – Delvin – Athboy – City Centre, effective 10 October 2016

Bus Éireann, in conjunction with the National Transport Authority, has recently carried out a review of services along the M3 Corridor and are pleased to announce the introduction of additional weekday departures from Athboy to Dublin which will operate as Route 111X: Clonmellon – Delvin – Athboy – City Centre. These additional services will be implemented from Monday, 10 October 2016.

The main features of Route 111X as follows:
    • Two weekday morning services from Clonmellon/Delvin/Athboy to the City Centre.
    • Two weekday daily evening services from the City Centre to Athboy/Delvin/Clonmellon.
    • All services will operate to/from the City Centre via the M3 Motorway
    • All services will operate via the Finglas QBC to ensure the quickest journey time
    • All service’s will operate to/from the South City Centre serving the following stops:
      • Wilton Terrace
      • Merrion sq North
      • Westland Row – Connections to the Dart Network
    • Clonmellon will be linked to the City Centre for the first time.
    • Customers for the Mater Hospital can alight at the Phibsboro and can board the evening services at Lower Dorset St.
    These changes have been approved by the National Transport Authority.

Further improvements to services on the M3 Corridor will be announced in the coming weeks.

Bus Éireann would like to thank our customers for their continued support and patience during the implementation of changes to this route. We look forward to welcoming you on board our improved services in the near future.

Thursday, 6th October, 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

is clonee a drop or pick up stop on the way to dublin?

malene wrote: »
    is clonee a drop or pick up stop on the way to dublin?

Clonee is a drop off point on the 109 services to Dublin and a pick up point on the 109 services from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

lxflyer wrote: »

actually, a nice way of trialling how the services via M50 and Finglas QBC work in practice, without introducing all new routes on the 109 corridor as the first proper experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

lxflyer wrote: »

actually, a nice way of trialling how the services via M50 and Finglas QBC work in practice, without introducing all new routes on the 109 corridor as the first proper experiment.

I used the 111X on Monday 6pm (first day) and found the Finglas routing very good. I'm using it again tonight.

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

Conway635 wrote: »
    I used the 111X on Monday 6pm (first day) and found the Finglas routing very good. I'm using it again tonight.

C635

Does the 111x make any stops between Athboy and Blanchardstown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

chewed wrote: »

No it doesn't.

http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1475749019-111X.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

chewed wrote: »
    Conway635 wrote: »

C635

No - runs express via N51 and M3 instead of R154.

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Commuter109

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/time-to-get-irish-rail-service-priorities-back-on-track-1.2843329

Pity this lad isn't heading the NTA!

I understand that there be no changes to the R109 this side of Christmas anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Whatsdastory

Jan 2015, there was a leaflet on Bus Eireann's 109 buses outlining new routes.
    Still no change!!?
    Any one any idea is going on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Still no change!!?

Doesnt look like anything is happening anytime sooon. So bloody fustrating. 2 hours 45 minutes to get to Cavan town from Dublin last Saturday.

On the flip side I was lucky enough to get a seat on the 30 service from Cavan to Dublin on Sunday. Only took 1 hour 55 minutes because we were on the motorway for most of the journey.

The changes to the 109 service from Cavan-Dublin need to be implemented ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Andru93

Still no change!!?

The 111 was change yesterday. So I say the 109 changes will happen in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Whatsdastory

So a full two years to plan a bus to drive a slightly different route.....:mad:

Open to correction, but the proposed new 109 route is not going to use any buses via port tunnel?

Below timetable has taken me 2 mins to think off, not two years, please bus eireann, apply both routes this january, Anyone agree

Cavan - Virginia - Kells - Via M3 - Via DPT - Bus Aras
    and same route return

Very little traffic Jams, (+ a smoother snooze:D)

Obviously not every service, but could Bus Eireann not run this (on some) between 0600 & 0900 + 1600 & 1900 every day

Even 1 or 2 Buses each morning/evening dedicated totally to Cavan commuters, (Call this 109CX) last stop Virginia, next stop O Connell St.
    The luxury of getting the 30 bus in Cavan or Virginia and crusing up the motorway is very enjoyable and stress free! Even going via the airport on the 30 i feel is not that much of a inconvenience as it rarely hits traffic, your still getting from Virginia to City Center in 75/85 mins

Am i right in saying most Cavan & Virginina commuters work/study south of liffey? hence the argument that buses need to go via matter/phisboro is not valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

So a full two years to plan a bus to drive a slightly different route.....:mad:

Open to correction, but the proposed new 109 route is not going to use any buses via port tunnel?

Below timetable has taken me 2 mins to think off, not two years, please bus eireann, apply both routes this january, Anyone agree

Cavan - Virginia - Kells - Via M3 - Via DPT - Bus Aras
    and same route return

Very little traffic Jams, (+ a smoother snooze:D)

Obviously not every service, but could Bus Eireann not run this (on some) between 0600 & 0900 + 1600 & 1900 every day

Even 1 or 2 Buses each morning/evening dedicated totally to Cavan commuters, (Call this 109CX) last stop Virginia, next stop O Connell St.
    The luxury of getting the 30 bus in Cavan or Virginia and crusing up the motorway is very enjoyable and stress free! Even going via the airport on the 30 i feel is not that much of a inconvenience as it rarely hits traffic, your still getting from Virginia to City Center in 75/85 mins

Am i right in saying most Cavan & Virginina commuters work/study south of liffey? hence the argument that buses need to go via matter/phisboro is not valid.

If the NTA and Bus Eireann were to pay a Million € to an Advertising Agency,they would not get better copy than you've just written......but perhaps the more pertinent question is how much did they pay for what they are currently attempting to introduce ?

This aspect is the absolute key to enticing more business onto Inter-Urban commuter services....but nobody appears to know this....???

The term "Base Metal into gold" springs to mind :rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

AlekSmart wrote: »
    If the NTA and Bus Eireann were to pay a Million € to an Advertising Agency,they would not get better copy than you've just written......but perhaps the more pertinent question is how much did they pay for what they are currently attempting to introduce ?

This aspect is the absolute key to enticing more business onto Inter-Urban commuter services....but nobody appears to know this....???

The term "Base Metal into gold" springs to mind :rolleyes:
    +1
    OR (heres a crazy idea) simply run a Nr 30 relief bus.
    No need for a new licence or anything.

Back when I was a student it was routine on the Cavan Belfast run that at busy times there was an express relief bus, so it's not as if that idea isn't unknown to that bus depot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Pretty sure it would be quicker getting the 30 to Busaras and walking to the mater than taking the 109.

Advertisement