Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile Bill Pay *Now launched*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Paul,

thanks for your reply earlier. i got the activation code and entered it but got the following message

'an unexpected error occured while activating pay monthly with PIN [******] with message details [no match found for pin ******].

i double checked that i had entered the correct PIN but still doesn't work.

any ideas?

p.s. - i don't have enough credit on the sim to contact customer care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Solyad wrote: »
    Hi Paul

I just received my sim for the €30 euro sim only pay monthly and have 3 quick questions:

1) Does the activation code come separately by post?
    2) Should I wait to activate (and therefore register now on the site with the 089 number to enter this code) before seeking to move my number (02 payg) over
    or 3) Can I port my number before activating?

I'll sit tight for now in case I mess anything up!

Ah I saw earlier on this thread you activate first then port over. And since I need to register to get to the activate link, I guess I'll go ahead and register.
    Then once activated, I port my old number (at least thats what you told someone else so good enough for me)

Still not clear how I get this activate code?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

Hi Paul

I just received my sim for the €30 euro sim only pay monthly and have 3 quick questions:

1) Does the activation code come separately by post?
    2) Should I wait to activate (and therefore register now on the site with the 089 number to enter this code) before seeking to move my number (02 payg) over
    or 3) Can I port my number before activating?

I'll sit tight for now in case I mess anything up!

Hi Solyad

1) Yes, comes separately by post
    2) You can register the SIM and then when you get the activation code there is a menu entry to put it in on My Tesco Mobile.
    3) No, activate on the number supplied before porting.

thanks
    Paul

who_ru wrote: »
    Paul,

thanks for your reply earlier. i got the activation code and entered it but got the following message

'an unexpected error occured while activating pay monthly with PIN [******] with message details [no match found for pin ******].

i double checked that i had entered the correct PIN but still doesn't work.

any ideas?

p.s. - i don't have enough credit on the sim to contact customer care.

PM sent..

Hi Solyad

1) Yes, comes separately by post
    2) You can register the SIM and then when you get the activation code there is a menu entry to put it in on My Tesco Mobile.
    3) No, activate on the number supplied before porting.

thanks
    Paul

Hi Paul

1) Ok
    2) Done, registered with the 089 now on the site
    3) I'll port once the activation code comes...

thanks
    John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Paul

Is there any plan to change the charges for Data bundles or the time they can be used over?
    I top up €10 at least once a month, maybe 3 times per 2 months. Currently I am topped up to see if PAYG still suits me as I may move over to the capped plan where I would get €30 bonus credit, but I know I will have to pay for a data bundle seperately then.
    Whether I am on PAYG or a capped plan, I want to have access to Data for the month but I dont need 1000mb.
    350 or 500 would probably do me for the month, but 350mb only lasts 7 days??
    Surely there is a demand for less data over a month instead of just 7 days, ie someone using 500mb if it lasted a month (instead of 1000mb but at a lower cost than 1000mb/month) is placing less demand on the system than someone using 350 per week??

Merch wrote: »
    Paul

Is there any plan to change the charges for Data bundles or the time they can be used over?
    I top up €10 at least once a month, maybe 3 times per 2 months. Currently I am topped up to see if PAYG still suits me as I may move over to the capped plan where I would get €30 bonus credit, but I know I will have to pay for a data bundle seperately then.
    Whether I am on PAYG or a capped plan, I want to have access to Data for the month but I dont need 1000mb.
    350 or 500 would probably do me for the month, but 350mb only lasts 7 days??
    Surely there is a demand for less data over a month instead of just 7 days, ie someone using 500mb if it lasted a month (instead of 1000mb but at a lower cost than 1000mb/month) is placing less demand on the system than someone using 350 per week??

Thanks Merch for the feedback

looking at this at the moment and certainly the 1 month bundle is way more popular than the daily or weekly.

Will discuss it with the team here.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭greenoverred

Hi Paul,

A couple of quick questions. Seriously thinking of porting over to Tesco. One thing thats putting me off is the price of the samsung galaxy s2 on the €45 plan is €239 but its free on the €55 euro plan. Now the €45 plan is perfect for me but I really have to go onto the €55 to get value on the phone. It just seems a bit of the whole pricing.

I was also wondering about data roaming. Is it used out of your data bundle and if not, what is the cost.

Sorry we don't have data roaming yet. Coming Q1 2012

Regards
    Paul

Hi Paul

Got activated yesterday and my old number ported. Very quick and painless and the lady on the phone was very helpful - 5 minute phone call sorted the porting... impressed with the service so far.

Just one bit of new customer feedback on the letter you get with the sim, maybe just change the wording to point out the activation code comes by post -its not clear if its by email, text or whatever means. So I was left briefly confused about how I was to get this code...

The letter with the code itself is perfectly clear on what to do with it so no problems there. And the activation itself is very simple.

Good service...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Hi guys,

Do you notice the speed cap on Tesco mobile services? ie. is the speed cap just theoretical because actual network speed never reach it or is it noticeably sluggish compared to O2/3/Meteor etc.

I'm seriously tempted to move from O2 but I would be P*ssed off if I noticed my internet speeds were crap (or incapable of running skype or viber).

Cheers,
    Quad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

quad_red wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Do you notice the speed cap on Tesco mobile services? ie. is the speed cap just theoretical because actual network speed never reach it or is it noticeably sluggish compared to O2/3/Meteor etc.

I'm seriously tempted to move from O2 but I would be P*ssed off if I noticed my internet speeds were crap (or incapable of running skype or viber).

Cheers,
    Quad

It was already stated that there is a speed cap of around 1.2Mbps. This is due to be removed soon.

RangeR wrote: »
    It was already stated that there is a speed cap of around 1.2Mbps. This is due to be removed soon.

I know that.

What I'm saying is: is the cap noticeable? ie. in real world experiences would ye get more than 1.2mbps on other networks anyway?

Hi Paul

Got activated yesterday and my old number ported. Very quick and painless and the lady on the phone was very helpful - 5 minute phone call sorted the porting... impressed with the service so far.

Just one bit of new customer feedback on the letter you get with the sim, maybe just change the wording to point out the activation code comes by post -its not clear if its by email, text or whatever means. So I was left briefly confused about how I was to get this code...

The letter with the code itself is perfectly clear on what to do with it so no problems there. And the activation itself is very simple.

Good service...

Thanks Solyad, good feedback. Will discuss with the team.

quad_red wrote: »
    I know that.

What I'm saying is: is the cap noticeable? ie. in real world experiences would ye get more than 1.2mbps on other networks anyway?

Best thing to do would be to get a PAYG sime here to try out. If you topup by €10 you get anothe €10 bonus credit and you can by a €6.99 1GB 30 day data bundle from the original €10.

http://shop.tescomobile.ie/free-international-sims.aspx

I find it perfectly fine for mobile and work tethering. As we are capped our speeds are quite level (as in they dont fluctuate up high and back down again) so the experience is consistent. But I am biased :) so better to make your own judgement.

cheers
    Paul

Best thing to do would be to get a PAYG sime here to try out. If you topup by €10 you get anothe €10 bonus credit and you can by a €6.99 1GB 30 day data bundle from the original €10.

I find it perfectly fine for mobile and work tethering. As we are capped our speeds are quite level (as in they dont fluctuate up high and back down again) so the experience is consistent. But I am biased :) so better to make your own judgement.

cheers
    Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response. 1.2mb is significantly less than the optimal o2 download I can get (just speedtested at over 4mbs there). But I haven't speedtested in less optimal scenarios so it may be nothing like I normally get.

Quad

Will give that a try.

Regards,
    Quad

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭RnR

cheers
    Paul

Hiya,
    Do I need a micro sim for try TM network on an iP4 ?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

Sorry Paul I'm sure this has been covered but I've searched & can't find it but any plans on Tesco having the iphone?

RnR wrote: »
    Hiya,
    Do I need a micro sim for try TM network on an iP4 ?

Thanks,

Yes, contact customer care here and they will send one to you.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/contact-us.aspx

regards
    Paul

Mary28 wrote: »
    Sorry Paul I'm sure this has been covered but I've searched & can't find it but any plans on Tesco having the iphone?

Hi Mary

We dont sell the iPhone yet. If you have an iPhone and want a sim only plan we do support this.

regards
    Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

Thanks Paul. No I don't have one unfortunately butI'd wait if you were getting it in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Thanks Merch for the feedback

looking at this at the moment and certainly the 1 month bundle is way more popular than the daily or weekly.

Will discuss it with the team here.

regards
    Paul

I cant see how the others would be popular at all?
    Invariably anyone that wants data, will want it at anytime all month, I could really see the better option (for customers) is to have data available for the full month but at different limits.
    A person that will use 350mb in a week is simply better off on a 1024mb/month plan, but some people will be light users, they may want less data for the full month, not just for one week/day in a month.

The current options favour heavier users, low mb users that place less demand on bandwidth? are charged for more mb, then penalised by then losing their remaining data if they dont use it??
    All in Im happy with Tesco mobile, been with them for years, I just see that some users may want less data over the month, not less data over less time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

1) How long does it take to transfer somebody over to Tesco from Vodafone? Is online the quickest way to do this? My Mam is going to transfer over as soon as she uses up her existing Vodafone credit.

2) Tesco Mobile's pay-as-you-go prices are ridiculously expensive, and clearly deliberately so. If you're intent upon encouraging people to change to your bill pay service, it would be much more accommodating if you had a tariff that gave more minutes and less/no internet data. Choice, in other words. Older people, who are difficult enough to persuade to change networks (or anything, for that matter), are more often than not intimidated by this "data" stuff. They just want to talk to friends and family, and send the odd text. Will any network respect this simplicity with a competitive tariff? I've spent the past hour talking to my Mam and persuading her to change from Vodafone pay-as-you-go, where she feels robbed. Regarding changing to a bill tariff, she kept saying "why should I pay for stuff I'll never use?". Her point is solid. Indeed, maybe Tesco could be the first network that has a special tariff rate for OAPs? I only found out today that Vodafone has been charging her 50 cent per minute to ring all non-Vodafone numbers. How many elderly people are being similarly robbed? :mad: (and I will tell as many people as possible about this)

Dionysus wrote: »
    1) How long does it take to transfer somebody over to Tesco from Vodafone? Is online the quickest way to do this? My Mam is going to transfer over as soon as she uses up her existing Vodafone credit.

2) Tesco Mobile's pay-as-you-go prices are ridiculously expensive, and clearly deliberately so. If you're intent upon encouraging people to change to your bill pay service, it would be much more accommodating if you had a tariff that gave more minutes and less/no internet data. Choice, in other words. Older people, who are difficult enough to persuade to change networks (or anything, for that matter), are more often than not intimidated by this "data" stuff. They just want to talk to friends and family, and send the odd text. Will any network respect this simplicity with a competitive tariff? I've spent the past hour talking to my Mam and persuading her to change from Vodafone pay-as-you-go, where she feels robbed. Regarding changing to a bill tariff, she kept saying "why should I pay for stuff I'll never use?". Her point is solid. Indeed, maybe Tesco could be the first network that has a special tariff rate for OAPs? I only found out today that Vodafone has been charging her 50 cent per minute to ring all non-Vodafone numbers. How many elderly people are being similarly robbed? :mad: (and I will tell as many people as possible about this)

1) It usually takes 30 mins or so but can take up to 2 hours or longer if there are issues on the Vodafone side.

2) Not sure what you are getting at about our Pay as You Go plans being deliverately expensive so don't think there is anything I can add here.

On the Tesco Mobile Pay Monthly charges we have plans that start at €12 per month with 100mins and 100 texts included. Even if you ignore the 50MB data included if you don't intend on using it this is highly competitive.

http://shop.tescomobile.ie/SIM-only-plans.aspx

regards
    Paul

Merch wrote: »
    I cant see how the others would be popular at all?
    Invariably anyone that wants data, will want it at anytime all month, I could really see the better option (for customers) is to have data available for the full month but at different limits.
    A person that will use 350mb in a week is simply better off on a 1024mb/month plan, but some people will be light users, they may want less data for the full month, not just for one week/day in a month.

The current options favour heavier users, low mb users that place less demand on bandwidth? are charged for more mb, then penalised by then losing their remaining data if they dont use it??
    All in Im happy with Tesco mobile, been with them for years, I just see that some users may want less data over the month, not less data over less time.

Thanks Merch,

I understand your point. The challenge we have is that it is all one data bundle that keeps getting extended (whatever version of bundle you purchase) so its difficult to offer the same time with less data as its open to manipulation. That said we will look at this to see how best to reconfigure.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

1) It usually takes 30 mins or so but can take up to 2 hours or longer if there are issues on the Vodafone side.

Thanks.
    2) Not sure what you are getting at about our Pay as You Go plans being deliverately expensive so don't think there is anything I can add here.

I'm particularly referring to this: 'Voice Calls to other Irish mobile networks 20c per minute' and 'Calls to Landlines 20c per minute'. In other words, a ten minute phone call from Tesco Mobile on pay-as-you-go to the vast, vast, vast majority of numbers will cost €2. A 50 minute call cost €10. Contrasted with the comparatively (by Irish mobile standards) much better deal Tesco Mobile is offering on its bill pay tariffs, the pay-as-you-go pricing system is clearly designed to encourage most phone users to choose a bill tariff (as is the situation with all phone companies, but Tesco's bill pay is much cheaper so the difference is more stark).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Dionysus wrote: »

How on earth can you say Tescomobile payg rates are expensive:confused:. They have the simplest payg rates on the market. 20cpm to ring a ROI landline or mobile. And if you you up by as little as €10 per month, you get an extra €10 bonus, which effectively means your call will cost 10c per minute. Cannot understand your logic, unless you are talking about Voda being expensive, which they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Just joined Tesco Pay monthly on an iPhone4 and when you insert the new Tesco SIM it sends an SMS to a UK number to activate FaceTime!

Tesco Mobile seem to be charging for this SMS?!?

This also happened in o2 previously but they now set it up to not charge for this activation SMS and I think Tesco Mobile should do the same and refund anyone who has been charged!

http://community.o2online.ie/t5/Apple/FaceTime-SMS-Charges/td-p/128909/page/3

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

Hi Paul can you send a MMS message home when you are roaming?

• Advertisement

reni10 wrote: »
    Just joined Tesco Pay monthly on an iPhone4 and when you insert the new Tesco SIM it sends an SMS to a UK number to activate FaceTime!

Tesco Mobile seem to be charging for this SMS?!?

This also happened in o2 previously but they now set it up to not charge for this activation SMS and I think Tesco Mobile should do the same and refund anyone who has been charged!

http://community.o2online.ie/t5/Apple/FaceTime-SMS-Charges/td-p/128909/page/3

I wasn't aware of this but will look into it.

regards
    Paul

Advertisement