Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment- The Waiting to Apply Room

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Dublin is handy for me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

You would piss your pants up there :) God how funny am I?

billie1b wrote: »
    I reckon the majority of recruits will be placed in Dublin

I suppose from 300 and the time lapse from the last recruitment, there'll probably be 150 anyway thrown into the Dublin area.

But I was sure that back in the day anyway, it was somewhat geographically influenced.

I guess though being from the complete opposite side of the country, there'll be plenty of people better placed for allocation to Dublin.

Anyway from 25,000 applicants, I'm probably getting ahead of myself.
    I was fairly keen to do the job when I was younger, but never got my full LC until 2008 when there wasn't another drive after.
    I'm going into this with a different outlook though, won't be disappointed if I don't get it.
    Still have my degree to continue on with so not as if my career is set either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Andrea345

Anybody know what criteria are used for allocation of trainees?.

Searched online but can't find anything, surely it's in writing somewhere in relation to how the Commissioner should allocate trainees?.

Being from Galway, I was under the impression that if successful I'd be placed somewhere within a radius of home(i.e Mayo, Clare, Roscommon etc).
    Wouldn't fancy being placed in Dublin tbh.

For the pay and the grief it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

I thought there was something mentioned about not being placed where relatives live? That when you put down all the aunts and uncles etc on your form B that they take into account who lives where. I might be wrong but reading back through the threads, I am pretty sure I read that a few times.

Edit: Dublin is the place where you are going to learn the most. I'm sure it's a challenge but isn't that all part of this career.

Andrea345 wrote: »
    I thought there was something mentioned about not being placed where relatives live? That when you put down all the aunts and uncles etc on your form B that they take into account who lives where. I might be wrong but reading back through the threads, I am pretty sure I read that a few times.

Ya you're right, or at least were right a few years ago.

I used to know the process inside out and I do remember that was mentioned.
    Actually have family in Malahide, and family in Mayo(would actually like to be placed there, guess thats out of the equation :D), rest would be in Galway.

But they did also allocate based on geography aswell. Which is why so many Guards in Galway are from Mayo.
    Who knows what way they'll structure it now given the time lapse and small number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭billie1b

Would be brilliant for me, would even take border of Meath close to Dublin

Would be brilliant for me, would even take border of Meath close to Dublin

Me too, I'm from Ratoath! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I suppose from 300 and the time lapse from the last recruitment, there'll probably be 150 anyway thrown into the Dublin area.

But I was sure that back in the day anyway, it was somewhat geographically influenced.

I guess though being from the complete opposite side of the country, there'll be plenty of people better placed for allocation to Dublin.

I'D imagine if anyone was to get preference out of the successful applicants it would be those from Donegal/Kerry/Cork. I mean Dublin is only a 2 hr drive from Galway

Anyway from 25,000 applicants, I'm probably getting ahead of myself.
    I was fairly keen to do the job when I was younger, but never got my full LC until 2008 when there wasn't another drive after.
    I'm going into this with a different outlook though, won't be disappointed if I don't get it.
    Still have my degree to continue on with so not as if my career is set either way.

Same as myself, always wanted to do it, never applied for the last drive, going in with a positive frame of mind, try my best and wont be upset if I dont get in

Me too, I'm from Ratoath! :D

Clonee / Blanch border

• Advertisement

Ya you're right, or at least were right a few years ago.

I used to know the process inside out and I do remember that was mentioned.
    Actually have family in Malahide, and family in Mayo(would actually like to be placed there, guess thats out of the equation :D), rest would be in Galway.

But they did also allocate based on geography aswell. Which is why so many Guards in Galway are from Mayo.
    Who knows what way they'll structure it now given the time lapse and small number.

I thought so. The cost of rent and money struggles aside, Dublin would probably be the most interesting place to work along with other big cities. But if they follow the above then Dublin would be ruled out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

I thought so. The cost of rent and money struggles aside, Dublin would probably be the most interesting place to work along with other big cities. But if they follow the above then Dublin would be ruled out for me.

youll learn more in 12months in Tallaght, Crumlin, Blanchardstown or Ballymun than ya will in 5 years in 99% of other garda stations

great education for a young officer

plus you can frequent coppers and flannerys as much as you want

silver lining lads - Dublins where the action is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

ya thats generally the trend, you might have a few going to limerick or cork, but possibly all dublin. people are due there transfers out of dublin especially since there has been no trainies to replace them for 5 years+, thats they way it works in dublin, if you get a transfer out its nearly always a recruit that replaces you because there is not many if any gard looking for a transfer to dublin.

It wouldn't be worth it IMO.

Whats the pay E500 p/w?.

Rent would be through the roof, weekly commute home would be E50-E60.
    I could think of plenty of other jobs I'd rather do for E300 then dealing with junkies and low lives.

The crime figures for Dublin in relation to most other counties are appalling. Certainly not worth the hassle for about E300 a week.

Scouser wrote: »
    youll learn more in 12months in Tallaght, Crumlin, Blanchardstown or Ballymun than ya will in 5 years in 99% of other garda stations

great education for a young officer

plus you can frequent coppers and flannerys as much as you want

silver lining lads - Dublins where the action is

Exactly! Depends what your preference is. I for one, want to learn as much as possible and would prefer the city over the country because of this, but you get what you are served. Have to be willing to accept what you get. I wouldn't complain either way. There is something to be learned everywhere you go.

Whats the pay E500 p/w?.

I could think of plenty of other jobs I'd rather do for E300 then dealing with junkies and low lives.

The crime figures for Dublin in relation to most other counties are appalling. Certainly not worth the hassle for about E300 a week.

wheres your cajones?

Would love to get into Traffic myself, anyone else?

having worked with them numerous times I would have next to no interest

however, id take your hand off for a spot now if it meant FT ;)

Whats the pay E500 p/w?.

You are right in a way, but some people can manage better then others. For example, I wouldn't have to commute home all the time. I don't own a house, I could stay up in Dublin. I have no ties. I'm also not in it for the money, even though no one wants to be struggling, it's manageable for some. Whether it's worth it, well that's for the individual to decide and how much they want the career.

Scouser wrote: »
    wheres your cajones?

What's it got to do with that?.

I wouldn't see any incentive to deal with inner city Dublins problems for E300. Maybe if we sorted the revolving door policy in our courts it would be a nice place to live and work.

Every job has it's price, for the grief and disrespect I don't see E300 odd as worth it.
    Especially when your colleges are getting a hell of a lot more to deal with the same thing.

Fair play for being so hard though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

People shying away from working in Dublin where they will actually have to do proper police work!? Some just looking for a cushy number down the bog signalling tractors up and down the road and giving the OAPs lifts home from the pubs at closing time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

It was always said that traffic do nothing but screw everyone.

thekopend wrote: »
    It was always said that traffic do nothing but screw everyone.

There can always be one thats different

What's it got to do with that?.

I wouldn't see any incentive to deal with inner city Dublins problems for E300. Maybe if we sorted the revolving door policy in our courts it would be a nice place to live and work.

Every job has it's price, for the grief and disrespect I don't see E300 odd as worth it.
    Especially when your colleges are getting a hell of a lot more to deal with the same thing.

Fair play for being so hard though.

Why are you applying then?

Couldn't of said it better myself

Because by area the take home pay varies.

The closer to home, less to travel back(E10 on tolls to Dublin and back), less on rent and better quality of life in the job.

Take home from Dublin would be as low as it could be from where I live, also the quality of life in the job would be the lowest.

I think it's pretty easy to understand.
    Working in Dublin for E300 has no appeal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Well if your application is successful and you do get into the force, that is where you likely will end up.

I don't think new recruits will have much of a say as to where they are deployed, unless there are some exceptional personal circumstances at play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jimmymcnulty86

You want to join the Gardai but don't want to work in Dublin or try nd help police our drug problem and violence in the capital, good luck with that you should say that in the interview:) Reality for a lot of people from the country applying is you'll end up working in Dublin and let's face it for all of us assaulted while working aswel, thought it hadn't been said here before because it was common sence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Because by area the take home pay varies.

The closer to home, less to travel back(E10 on tolls to Dublin and back), less on rent and better quality of life in the job.

Take home from Dublin would be as low as it could be from where I live, also the quality of life in the job would be the lowest.

I think it's pretty easy to understand.

Plenty of scumbags in other parts of the country for the likes of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

Devil08 wrote: »
    People shying away from working in Dublin where they will actually have to do proper police work!? Some just looking for a cushy number down the bog signalling tractors up and down the road and giving the OAPs lifts home from the pubs at closing time!

Haha you really think that. Omg you could not be more mistaken

Advertisement