Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD irritations... ie first world problems! (See Mod Note, 1st post)

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Canteloupey

Nowhere for undergraduates to microwave food and getting treated like dirt for having the gall to ask can you use the postgrad microwaves.

I'm in for most of the day as I work near UCD and a few sandwiches don't really suffice for a whole days eating.

^ This!

The Irish language room on the 2nd floor of B in Newman. There's also one in the Engineering Building in their common room for everyone, though it is a walk.

The mircowave thing annoys me. It's one having post-grads having their own space...

But Irish language students? You are not any different from any other undergraduate Arts student, why are mircowaves a safety concern for us but not them? This is my complete bete noire!

That and whoever thought a schedule that runs Roebuck/Newman/Roebuck would work??? :eek:

I'm late for everything that day! I run there and I'm still late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Dia dhuit - an bhfuil cead agam bhaint as an micreathonn, más é do thoil é?
    (Hello - Can I use the microwave please)

The whole "Microwaves and kettles are a danger" trip the college has been on for the last few years is annoying. When I was in first year there were a bunch of microwaves accessible, and the Games society had a kettle we just plugged in and boiled and made tea while sitting around in arts. Now the microwaves are all hidden or locked away, and said society got told when I was in second year we could only do that if we booked a room to do it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

That and whoever thought a schedule that runs Roebuck/Newman/Roebuck would work??? :eek:

I'm late for everything that day! I run there and I'm still late!

Yes! My classes are split between Roebuck, Newman, Science and Health Science. Some lecturers get pissed off when my class is constantly late for seminars. The sooner Sutherland opens, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭scrummonkey

dont you just luv it when lecturer informs all in week 5 that ....ah, em.....even though module clearly states in blackboard that the course is assessed via 2 assignments....ahhh...umm...dont know how that got there....not great with de old software, ahh sure i never liked the idea of assignments....the course will in fact be 100% based on exam!.....ahhh sorry about that......hohum.....

you couldnt make it up....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I've the same lecturer for two modules this semester and she's a good ten to fifteen minutes late for every lecture, and that's if she decides to show up!

Last week the computer in the lecture theatre wasn't working. After arriving ten minutes late she spend about five minutes trying set up a laptop she borrowed from someone in the class before she gave up and cancelled the lecture.

Then the other day she just didn't show up!

When she does actually get into doing the lecture she goes over stuff we did in first year. Theres only about twelve people going to lectures at this stage.

Ahh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Raphael wrote: »
    The whole "Microwaves and kettles are a danger" trip the college has been on for the last few years is annoying.

I thought it was a cleaning issue. The one in the engineering building was cleaned by Joan but she did it because we weren't strangers to her. Or so I'd like to think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Nowhere for undergraduates to microwave food and getting treated like dirt for having the gall to ask can you use the postgrad microwaves.

hehe. The postgrads are Gods/undergrads are wasters divide. I remember in my first week in 1st year I asked the girl in the library could I have one of those rooms. She said what year are you in and I said "Ist" and she shrugged her shoulders, cocked her head in the air and contemptuously said, 'Sorry, but they are only if you are accepted as a postgrad'.

Librarians in universities and department secretaries are the bane of a civilised society, the last bastion of pomposity, conceit and delusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

The nattering in the library... I know it's only week six and not everyone has exams next week.. But sweet jesus, when there's five first year animal science pulling chairs around to have a chat... Step too far, hey!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Clareh123

Pesky seagulls staring at you when you try to eat a sandwich at the lake
    Books in the library not being where they're meant to be
    The lack of a proper bar on campus, or pubs near UCD
    People chatting incessantly during lectures
    Waiting for aaagggeeess at the student desk
    No microwave or kettle
    The wreck-the-head who asks irrelevant questions, or worse, asks a question when everyone is dying to leave
    People who interrupt and lecture the lecturer
    Weird masters hours- finishing at ridiculous O'Clock in the evening
    The lack of any cheap or healthy food options
    That announcement saying 'this is a non-smoking area' outside the arts block, which you can hear from classrooms above
    The weird queuing system in the SU shop
    Awkward silences in the library building lift
    Being put on the spot by lecturers when you have nothing to say
    Drilling and hammering noises in the science building
    The horribly designed seating system in the Health Science lecture theaters

Having said all that, I've had some great lecturers and met some lovely people at UCD and that's the thing that will stand out in my memory when I leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

My favourite thing about my postgrad course is the use of a watercooler, kettle and microwave. :) Worth all the fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Clareh123

Musefan wrote: »
    My favourite thing about my postgrad course is the use of a watercooler, kettle and microwave. :) Worth all the fees.
    I'm a postrad and I don't have access to any of those things, boooo! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jan shyr

It all depends if there is a room allocated for post-grads in your school building. And by post-grads I mean Master's student. PhD students, at least in Conway or Science buildings do have access to the same facilities as staff as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

People who seem to take their aggression out on keyboards... lad beside me in the library and you'd swear the fucking space bar on his keyboard slept with his missus the way he's bashing the thing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Blackboard not working. Work.. you basterd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Blackboard not working. Work.. you basterd.

You mean Connect? It's on scheduled maintenance from 5:30 till about 6:30 or so. Direct access works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Yeah got direct access afterwards, thanks.

Advertisement