Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD irritations... ie first world problems! (See Mod Note, 1st post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Bobby42

The gents near theatre O and the one beside the copi print place in Newman. Generally only one hand dryer working and only one soap dispenser with soap in it. Sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

When Starbucks in Quinn clearly take the mick when you order anything but a tall. I'm sorry put 40 inches of foam isn't what I paid for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

ironclaw wrote: »
    Starbucks in Quinn.

That there is a Starbucks on campus irritates me.

Anyway, no recycling bins on campus, with the exception of some paper ones in some of the libraries, and bell-*nds who clog the toilets with loads of toilet paper for the hell of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

University caused skips full of fairly decent office chairs and tables which could be easily given away for free on adverts.ie or even offered to students for free in a small ad on ucdconnect for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

No toilet paper in the toilets in the library on Sundays because there has been no cleaner in since Friday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

psychward wrote: »
    University caused skips full of fairly decent office chairs and tables which could be easily given away for free on adverts.ie or even offered to students for free in a small ad on ucdconnect for example.

I acquired two of them and put them in the boot of my car. If its in a skip, its fair game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

BX 19 wrote: »
    I acquired two of them and put them in the boot of my car. If its in a skip, its fair game :D

Yeah same here. I picked up some fantastic stuff in my time especially when I was working in UCD over the Summer which is when theres very few students there to take anything e.g they threw out and replaced 30 office chairs from Daedalus just because they could. In the skip behind Daedalus it took me 5 minutes to find a chair which had not one tear, rip or stain (many flaws caused by being thrown into a skip in the first place). Sorted.
    However during term time there is not so much competition for taking items from the skips anyway. Apart from anything else when the Students Union and University claims to have some kind of interest in being environmentally conscious it seems nuts to throw good stuff into a landfill when there are surely recession hit students in a bedsit somewhere who need a chair or desk. Even if they buy a new one the cash from it will leak outside the economy because it probably got manufactured in China etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I hate the way there are so many people living in skips in U.C.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

What really bothers me is when people leave chewing gum in the urinals. So ignorant expecting a cleaner to pick it out and 90% of the time I'd say it's the reason for all the blocks in Quinn and the Library. The library annoys me more than anywhere else because there are bins right behind the urinals. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

1st year Economics student (single major) studying for my exams, and I'm doing two politics subjects (just like last semester) two psychology subjects, one library studies subject (and did two last semester) and one Economics subject...

I hate having to fill your credits with all this crap that I have to study for and have zero interest in, such as what Aristotle thought of the world, how fat kids get bullied and the history of the internet.

I'm REALLY struggling to get through these exams, as I really, really, can't imagine anything less interesting to me. FML.

80% of my first year studies literally have absolutely NOTHING to do with what I'm here to study.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

[Jackass] wrote: »
    1st year Economics student (single major) studying for my exams, and I'm doing two politics subjects (just like last semester) two psychology subjects, one library studies subject (and did two last semester) and one Economics subject...

I hate having to fill your credits with all this crap that I have to study for and have zero interest in, such as what Aristotle thought of the world, how fat kids get bullied and the history of the internet.

I'm REALLY struggling to get through these exams, as I really, really, can't imagine anything less interesting to me. FML.

80% of my first year studies literally have absolutely NOTHING to do with what I'm here to study.

Why bother studying for them? If you did well on the assignments scraping to a D- should be simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Well I am passing everything, but just don't want to drag any of this sh*te into 2nd year, so better to make sure than to have to carry any of them over. I'm studying because I have an exam tomorrow worth 20% and my assignment was sh*te (like a D or something - find it very difficult to care) and I've been to about 2 lectures, so don't want to have to do too well in the final to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Be very careful what electives you pick. I ended up spending more time studying them than most of my core modules :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So annoying that on the second week of exams, that the whole Daedalus building, because of a bank holiday, had to be shut off. I can't understand why they could not keep it open, it's just one day, but important. I had hoped to use the computers in the library, but they were all taken, with little chance of getting one. Over 50 computers that could have been used in the daedalus and the building is locked up, surely all that was neccesary was it being opened and then closed at 7..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

The fact that people seem so infatuated with doing sport modules as an elective. Its so lame or something, I dunno why I just find it kinda cringey. For exam a course called 'sports tourism' is full because it has 'sports' before tourism.

Its such a south side/do commerce/try and fail spectacularly at looking like an american 'jock'/preppy field imo. I've never been in them classes but I can guess what they're like.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Its such a south side/do commerce/try and fail spectacularly at looking like an american 'jock'/preppy field imo. I've never been in them classes but I can guess what they're like.

:rolleyes:
    Or maybe people choose it because they actually enjoy/play sport? People often have tough/boring core modules so doing one on sport is a bit of a relief. Also anything with sport in the title would stand out as an easy elective (whether it actually is or not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Is library still off limits for peasants who haven't paid there fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Is library still off limits for peasants who haven't paid there fees?

You've a grace period until tomorrow. I feel your pain. UCD are stubborn regards payments of fees.

I just wish there was some sort of an installment plan in which I could pay off my fees and get access to the library. I cant afford to pay them all of at once.

Is it just me or are the staff on the tills in the main restaurant worse than airport security?

There was a promotion for coffee since they redesigned the restaurant today, a girl in a coffee cup costume handing out cards for a free coffee.

I decided to get my free coffee while passing by. Got a coffee but was interrogated when I got to the till. First of all I was told no way, those vouchers don't get you a coffee. Then she asked me if my coffee was in fact a cappuccino and that fancy coffees weren't allowed.

Confused, I asked about the promotion outside. She then said well you have to buy a coffee before you can get a free coffee. :rolleyes:

She eventually let me have the coffee. But jaysus you'd swear I was trying to smuggle out a load of coffee to sell on the black market or something.

Coffee was rank anyway, wish I threw than fecking coupon in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Bobby42 wrote: »
    Is it just me or are the staff on the tills in the main restaurant worse than airport security?

There was a promotion for coffee since they redesigned the restaurant today, a girl in a coffee cup costume handing out cards for a free coffee.

I decided to get my free coffee while passing by. Got a coffee but was interrogated when I got to the till. First of all I was told no way, those vouchers don't get you a coffee. Then she asked me if my coffee was in fact a cappuccino and that fancy coffees weren't allowed.

Confused, I asked about the promotion outside. She then said well you have to buy a coffee before you can get a free coffee. :rolleyes:

She eventually let me have the coffee. But jaysus you'd swear I was trying to smuggle out a load of coffee to sell on the black market or something.

Coffee was rank anyway, wish I threw than fecking coupon in the bin.

Bewleys?

• Advertisement

Yeah Bewleys coffee alright, mank stuff.

Maybe I read the promotion wrong but I thought "free coffee" would mean a free coffee? :confused:

A lot of bewildered students with vouchers seeking this elusive coffee while I was there.

Not a great tactic if they're trying to promote the revamped restaurant as a new and improved place to get coffee on campus. Give out vouchers and then hassle students when they try to claim said promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

You should have known better than to drink Canteen coffee.

What's with taking away the sandwich bar? Now you have no option but to buy the pre-made stuff or line up at the Readers Deli.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

The Grind in the student centre is THE place for rolls/sandwiches for me. And the coffee in Cafe Brava I think is actually really nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Best sandwiches were the restaurant for sure. Staff there were always really nice and it was run very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

New restaurant layout is an utter disaster, they couldn't have designed a better bottleneck if they tried. Hugely reduced stock, but hey we can look at boxes of peppers if we like. What chump signed off on this joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

The new restaurant looks better alright, but nobody knows how or where to queue, so they're just wandering around aimlessly.

Why can't people work the in and out doors system from Arts to the library? Two lads nearly walked into me by walking through the wrong door, and another day two girls decided to have a nice wee chat in the effing doorway :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    r, and another day two girls decided to have a nice wee chat in the effing doorway :mad:

I hate when they do stop on the stairway. Always feel like giving them a little shove towards the steps.

I thought the student union in UCD made some stand against people being barred from the libraries because they lacked the ability to pay full fees? Considering the amount of stress finances have caused students many of whom suffering already this is a particular sh1tty thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I thought the student union in UCD made some stand against people being barred from the libraries because they lacked the ability to pay full fees? Considering the amount of stress finances have caused students many of whom suffering already this is a particular sh1tty thing to do.

People waiting on SUSI grants should be ok for getting in, people who just haven't paid their fees don't!

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »

People waiting on SUSI grants should be ok for getting in, people who just haven't paid their fees don't!

You mean cant pay vs wont pay?

Advertisement