Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub nine or bust

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

tunney wrote: »
    It appears that Mr CakeFace is more sensitive than a fat bird at a lingerie show. I'll be laying off the banter so, grown men shouldn't be made cry.

Fvck - just off the phone with his wife. Appears I really upset him. Going to have to send him flowers or something. Was only joking seriously dude. #SoSoSorry

Plan for today:

3km swim and a 1:10 tough turbo

Actual:

Nothing. A planned trip to the hospital took longer than expected (and was totally useless). I'd booked time off work to go but things "got busy" so time off cancelled and working until the sun goes down now to get things done.

#annoyed, wonder when the 2013 races open............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Cake face was only upset because you wussed out of Sportsman this weekend:) And don't be starting with that "checking 2013 races" that excuse will not fly in Roth:)

#tunney running scared

Not a great week at all.

I was up at 0500 Saturday morning to run long - Aoibhe kicked off at 0510
    I was up at 0500 Sunday morning to run long - Aoibhe kicked off at 0510
    Grrrrrr

Swim 7.2km (2:37)
    Bike 169km (6:10)
    Run 31km(2:28)
    Total time 11:15

I did however spent three hours taking my TT bike our of the box after Frankfurt and putting it together and servicing it

• Advertisement

Oh and then this morning at the pool at 0640, locked my bike and went to go in. Forgot my swipe so no swim..............

I was up at 0500 Saturday morning to run long - Aoibhe kicked off at 0510
    I was up at 0500 Sunday morning to run long - Aoibhe kicked off at 0510
    Grrrrrr

Sounds like you need one of these:)
    1286901308-06388300.jpg

Sounds like you need one of these:)
    1286901308-06388300.jpg

Was thinking one of these

Brick-more-than-something.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

So Tunney you flirted with doing Sportsman Duathlon or at least teased us.....so what is your warm up race(s) to Roth? You'll surely have one, right?

So Tunney you flirted with doing Sportsman Duathlon or at least teased us.....so what is your warm up race(s) to Roth? You'll surely have one, right?

I never had any intention of doing it. Prefer to keep my races sanctioned.

Warm up races. Not checked the calendar. Mr. Tango is talking about the double olympic in Athy.

Not fussed. Really.

Last year i only found out if my wetsuit still fitted me (it didn't) the night before we flew out for Frankfurt. When my head is not in it, my head is not in it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I never had any intention of doing it. Prefer to keep my races sanctioned.

It's a great race to practice your group riding in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I should hope not. With many using it as a tune up to IM (the double) Id assume a tiny bit of honesty this time. Did Athy in my rookie year and easily worst race of the lineup that year. Might be interesting with Tunnel and Tango in the lineup. Only entered ad limited choice and swim is off good and early

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

I swore i would never do Athy again due to the drafting when i last did it. The double oly tempted me back last year. Thoroughly enjoyed it - only down side was second lap of the run when the oly men caught up with us and it got a bit cramped on the narrow grass section along the banks of the river.

Basically the swim was uncongested and 3k (just what i like!) and we had the bike course to ourselves - the oly women were just coming on to it as we hit the second lap so no issues.

If its done that way again i think it should be good. Finished 9th last year too so improving on that will be hard. Doing the half iron distance in Collinstown on the 12 May - heard some good reports on that from last year so should be interesting.

Went for a swim this morning a grand swim. One annoyance. A triathlete got in the lane with me. A triathlete who has probably only been at it 2-4 years.

How do I know:
    1. All the toys on the pool deck in a nice mesh bag. All essential for any swim.
    2. Meticulous and precise placement of the hand for the entry. Horrific under water and no back end to the stroke.
    3. Didn't let people swim through
    4. Didn't associate a tap on the toes with "let me swim through"
    5. Sped up when over taken
    6. Got startled, despite 3,4 & 6, when I turned through him
    7. Goggles that they probably read in 220 are fantastic for triathletes - all round visiblity and tinted lens

Grrrr least I had done my warm up and a good bit of my main set before he got in. And he got out before I finished my main set. Too much overtaking annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Went for a swim this morning a grand swim. One annoyance. A triathlete got in the lane with me. A triathlete who has probably only been at it 2-4 years.

Too much overtaking annoys me.

Could have been worse, he could have been overtaking you ;)

Could have been worse, he could have been overtaking you ;)

He did once. Sprinted 25m as I was doing a 400.

Everyone knows that a triathlete's swim limiter is raw speed and 25s will help with that of course. Admittedly he did finish his stroke for the first 12m of that 25 (Actually he only did 1x25m at that speed :) )

A) Doesn't everything annoy you? :)
    B) Re: Triathletes swim limiter. Is it not form over 1500 rather than raw speed? Genuine question. I ask because I can leave my nemesis behind in sprints up 100m but she has me over 800+ (childhood swimmer)
    C) Are you calling yourself a swimmer these days? ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I've got to point out that those in the sport 2-4 years don't automatically have bad habits, but rough edges are to be expected. Certain people, regardless of how long they are doing anything, have bad form, bad etiquette, or bad attitude. I know YOU came to the sport fully formed and excellent but unfortunately us lesser mortals have to learn.

Fully formed is an apt description :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭Bambaata

What colour hat was this guy wearing? Trying to place him but cant figure it out.

At times ive seen Fingal tri guys (one is a pretty good swimmer, but havent seen him in months and the other is decent too). Then there's snorkel man who swims something like 4 x 1000m with 1 min recovery (sound lad actually, he lets me through but that doesn't happen often as he seems to be a solid 45s/50m man the whole way for the 1000m) and theres a new guy with a white cap but i cant recall him having all the gear and he let me through plenty the only time ive been in the same lane as him

• Advertisement

A) Doesn't everything annoy you? :)
    B) Re: Triathletes swim limiter. Is it not form over 1500 rather than raw speed? Genuine question. I ask because I can leave my nemesis behind in sprints up 100m but she has me over 800+ (childhood swimmer)
    C) Are you calling yourself a swimmer these days? ;)

A) I do come across like that as I am less likely to come on here and talk about the things that I find pleasant and agreeable than the things that annoy me
    B) I was being sarcastic :)
    C) I will never call myself that :) I asked Mr. Tango to teach me to tumble a while back, he said yesterday that if I wanted his 7 year old daughter could show me how.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Tunney you often speak of other swimmers flaws while you are doing a session yourself. How do you get time to be so observent and if it torments you so why not just ignore them. Also, as you are doing it anyway, would you ever offer up the info on the bad tech to the swimmer in question? This, I realise, could be very, very risky!

Oryx wrote: »
    I've got to point out that those in the sport 2-4 years don't automatically have bad habits, but rough edges are to be expected. Certain people, regardless of how long they are doing anything, have bad form, bad etiquette, or bad attitude. I know YOU came to the sport fully formed and excellent but unfortunately us lesser mortals have to learn.

Ignorance is not excuse for bad manners.

The reason I said 2-4 years is much longer and he'd have learnt, much less and he'd not have swam as well as he did.

Everyone has to learn sometime, I was luckily that when I started I was thought it rather quickly. Albeit the hard way.

Bambaata wrote: »
    What colour hat was this guy wearing? Trying to place him but cant figure it out.

At times ive seen Fingal tri guys (one is a pretty good swimmer, but havent seen him in months and the other is decent too). Then there's snorkel man who swims something like 4 x 1000m with 1 min recovery (sound lad actually, he lets me through but that doesn't happen often as he seems to be a solid 45s/50m man the whole way for the 1000m) and theres a new guy with a white cap but i cant recall him having all the gear and he let me through plenty the only time ive been in the same lane as him

White cap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭Bambaata

If its the same guy im thinking of he must not like you. He let me through plenty the only time i was in the lane with him.

He's new to Northwood too isnt he?

Tunney you often speak of other swimmers flaws while you are doing a session yourself. How do you get time to be so observent and if it torments you so why not just ignore them. Also, as you are doing it anyway, would you ever offer up the info on the bad tech to the swimmer in question? This, I realise, could be very, very risky!

Funny you should mention this. I was talking to a guy in the pool, a boardsie, about his form a while back. An auld lad (50+ years old, for those that swim there, does okay tumbles, swims in the granny-who-kicks lane) then the next time I was in asked me a few questions. I spent 20 minutes talking him through his form, drills to help and all the rest. Then this week I finished a rep and he was there with a woman in her late 50s, he introduced me and said I was the guy to ask about swimming. As it happened I'd noticed a few things and I was able to help.

I usually never offer unsolicited advice, while I appreciate getting it I know others don't. However last week I was there and there was a guy who struck up conversation with me about swimming. He is doing IM UK, and he saw the tri hat I presume. I offered some swimming advice as there were quick wins. I asked him how training was going and he ranted about ITBS. I could tell he didn't know that much about it so I gave him the Cliff Notes version of my treatment/management plan for ITBS and some the name and number of a guy to ring as he wasn't having it treated.

It doesn't torment me at all, I just notice. Looking at how other people swim helps me learn to swim. Less so now in this pool but in my old pool it was great. I will offer advice if the person appears amenable to it.

Bambaata wrote: »
    If its the same guy im thinking of he must not like you. He let me through plenty the only time i was in the lane with him.

He's new to Northwood too isnt he?

I wouldn't have a clue if he was new or not, I've seen him one other time but then again I've rarely swam there until last week.

Threshold run at lunch with Mr Tango. Mix of supra and super threshold due to the poxy wind.

During the warm up I mentioned my experiences this morning to Mr Tango, a former competitive swimmer, and the expected outcries of "everyone has to learn sometime" on here. He was refreshing in his brutal honesty. "Its your fault Dave, why did you give him a few chances? Why did you give him even one? If someone pushes off the wall in front of you and they are slower than you and they have seem you coming, no chances, push off anyways, go by them or under them. Do it a few times and they will learn. How did you learn Dave that you were in the wrong lane? How did you learn not to push off the wall in front of a faster swimmer? How did you learn not to block the wall?"

My response - "I got hammered by the faster swimmers in the lane".

An interesting take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Threshold run at lunch with Mr Tango. Mix of supra and super threshold due to the poxy wind.

During the warm up I mentioned my experiences this morning to Mr Tango, a former competitive swimmer, and the expected outcries of "everyone has to learn sometime" on here. He was refreshing in his brutal honesty. "Its your fault Dave, why did you give him a few chances? Why did you give him even one? If someone pushes off the wall in front of you and they are slower than you and they have seem you coming, no chances, push off anyways, go by them or under them. Do it a few times and they will learn. How did you learn Dave that you were in the wrong lane? How did you learn not to push off the wall in front of a faster swimmer? How did you learn not to block the wall?"

My response - "I got hammered by the faster swimmers in the lane".

An interesting take on it.

So if somebody is being a dick, be a bigger dick back... lesson for life there

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    So if somebody is being a dick, be a bigger dick back... lesson for life there

NO NO. Two wrongs do make a right.

Advertisement