Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub nine or bust

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭twonpelota

Not a great few days training.

Last night was meant to be a HoP but ended up being a NOT. Trying to fix a washing machine, assemble a cot and other DIY meant it was too late to do the session. Washing machine fvcked, won't drain, have to get a new one.

Rescheduled the HoP for this morning. Tot #2 spent his first night in his cot. Roared all night until 6. Even when herself took him into the spare bed. At one stage tot #1, who sleeps with me when sick/teething and she is both, looked at me and appeared to say "WTF is going on? he's not shut up in hours". Okay all she actually did was look at me and hold her hands up and shrug but if she was a few years old thats what she'd have said.

Slept till 7 and then up for work. No HoP this morning.

Washing machine tonight so lets see if the HoP gets done then.

In one way it would be great to be one of those guys who says "fvck them, they're only my family" (I know a few) and does what he wants anyways - training, racing, camps the lot.

Two of the best pieces of advice I ever got for triathlon:
    #1 Rich Brady : So you've a few hundred quid and you are wondering what will help you in triathlon the most? A nice dress for herself and a dinner out.
    #2 Eamo Horgan, rang me just after #1 was born : Some advice for ya boy, there will always be races when you are older. They are only young once, enjoy them.

Best thing for long term training/racing, IMHO, - balance (works both ways, can't be hen pecked either) and sometimes realising that the next few years will be your slow fat ones but you can still run/ride/swim fast in mid-late thirties.

</sleep deprived ramble>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Horgan is a man with his ducks in a row alright. I often swim with his missus who is equally grounded.

The balance is key. Especially if A) You weren't an endurance athlete when you met your OH and/or B) When life gets complicated.

I hear you on the DIY too. My wrist is still sore from it at the weekend and it didn't help the swim set this morning. However a few hours of hanging her prized paintings and curtain poles without being asked to do so, earned me a few happy 'train as I please' sessions :)

The trade never ceases. Your attention is your currency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Two excellent pieces of advice alright. Without the balance and give and take there would be no races or training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

It's ok but not great. Follows an ex army gym bunny who is strength and conditioning coach at Redbull as he goes from weights to IM. Is funny in parts. Author used to post (don't think he still does) on tritalk as Conehead IIRC.

• Advertisement

A bad bad week last week. A good few excuses, only one or two valid reasons. Nothing that explains just a sh!t week.

Swim dist & time : 0
    Bike dist : 24km
    Bike time: 0:58
    Run dist: 47km
    Run time: 3:50
    Total time : 4:48

At this rate I'll be lucky to go sub 12 in Roth.

Some niggles from my right hip and knee. Hip is lack of maintaince work causing my rec fem to pull tight. Phase one of this injury is a pain in the crease of my hip. Phase two is severe groin pain. Booked in to see the man with the tan next week. Nothing like 45 minutes of physical pain coupled with the emotional trauma of being called fatty.

The ITB problem is also maintaince related but more so the fact I switched back to a lightweight neutral semi racer shoe for two runs this week. I'm too heavy and my form is too part for this.

I'm planning on managing the injuries (I treat all niggles as an injury) via stretching, stretching with tubes, foam rolling, trigger point work and liberal applications of KT tape until I get in with the man with the tan on Wednesday. I'd prefer sooner but work will stop me getting to him before then.

Ah not saying it ruined my life. When myself and the OH got together I was an obese drinking smoker. If anything it did the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

twonpelota wrote: »
    I'm like a bull.
    I'm fvcking raging.

Turbo last night - missed. .........
    Run this morning - missed. ........

Fvcking c0ck b0llcok cvnting day.
    Not a great week last week. Missed alot of scheduled sessions.
    Not a great few days training.
    A bad bad week last week.
    At this rate I'll be lucky to go sub 12 in Roth.

Would you consider just focusing on one discipline for a while? With running as a commute to and from work and a couple of runs at the weekend alone, could you get into run PB shape? 8-10 hours a week, minimal impact on home life. And then once things settle down get back to triathlon (in great shape)?

I can't see you getting much enjoyment from doing another IM for the sake of completion rather than a time worthy of your ability. And how much more missed training, albeit for valid reasons, can one take?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I was thinking the same thing. Not necessarily running, but trying to maintain one discipline to a higher standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Would have to agree with the lads. You dont seem to be enjoying things as a result of being stretched too thin in terms of the commitments. I think focusing on one could benefit you both in the short and long term

(This is however speaking from a different perspective like the lads as single eventers so could be seen as biased)

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Not necessarily running, but trying to maintain one discipline to a higher standard.

I agree, but I imagine running would be the most flexible and least time consuming.

Imagine going back to tri in a year or two with a 32min 10k, 53min 10m type of thing. That's the carrot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

+1 to what the guys are saying...

A log on your strongest discipline would make infinitely more enjoyable reading than the sporadic moans about the bike or yourself falling apart ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

I agree, but I imagine running would be the most flexible and least time consuming.

Imagine going back to tri in a year or two with a 32min 10k, 53min 10m type of thing. That's the carrot.

I think running a 32 min 10 k would take a lot more than 3 4 sessions a week seriously...as well as added stress on the body from just solely running and missing out on the cross fitness of the 3 sports.....
    i think twon should stick to all three........even if it means doin all 3 ****ly like myself .

I think running a 32 min 10 k would take a lot more than 3 4 sessions a week seriously...as well as added stress on the body from just solely running and missing out on the cross fitness of the 3 sports.....
    i think twon should stick to all three........even if it means doin all 3 ****ly like myself .

If he runs for work commute, that's 10 runs and 2 at weekend...Tack a few miles on the end of the on the way home commute twice a week to get a session in if needed, session or long run at weekend, very doable.

Would you consider just focusing on one discipline for a while? With running as a commute to and from work and a couple of runs at the weekend alone, could you get into run PB shape? 8-10 hours a week, minimal impact on home life. And then once things settle down get back to triathlon (in great shape)?

I can't see you getting much enjoyment from doing another IM for the sake of completion rather than a time worthy of your ability. And how much more missed training, albeit for valid reasons, can one take?

There is alot to what you say. 8-10 hours of running I can do without anyone even knowing that I am training. Only tricky session would be a hill rep one which requires a drive to a proper hill.

Very good post.
    RayCun wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing. Not necessarily running, but trying to maintain one discipline to a higher standard.

Swimming - I enjoy it but you are severely curtailed as to when it can be done. Realistic Monday-Friday 0630-0800 is it due to pool hours. Then you have congestion in the pool to deal with which makes fun sessions hell. Plus if I am going to miss a session due to little ones its always the morning ones so that is swimming out.

Cycling minimum 10 tens a week to progress. Realistically more required. 4-5 hours each Saturday and Sunday with turbos during the week. Too much time.

Would have to be a running focus. Two problems with that. I'd have to post only in the main ART board with all the "*&*&*". But also I find running races fun but not exciting. How many times do you train for a PB over a distance and then the race turns out to be 1km short. Or similar. Plus there is no atmosphere at races. Running races are fun, but no wuuu huuu.
    ecoli wrote: »
    Would have to agree with the lads. You dont seem to be enjoying things as a result of being stretched too thin in terms of the commitments. I think focusing on one could benefit you both in the short and long term

(This is however speaking from a different perspective like the lads as single eventers so could be seen as biased)

No its all valid. I am trying to do too much, its not possible to do it all for a number of reasons. Life being one.
    +1 to what the guys are saying...

A log on your strongest discipline would make infinitely more enjoyable reading than the sporadic moans about the bike or yourself falling apart ;)

Yes I am rather whingy.

A 32min 10km would, for me require, 100km a week with one hill session, one long, one-two fast runs. < 8 hours running and the only real problem being driving to Howth for the hills.

Problem is I love long distance racing.
    If he runs for work commute, that's 10 runs and 2 at weekend...Tack a few miles on the end of the on the way home commute twice a week to get a session in if needed, session or long run at weekend, very doable.

Agreed, 100-160km of running is achievable with minimal impact.

The main problem is I really really really like long distance triathlons. That being said I only like them when I can do the training. Roth is entered, paid for and committed to and I am going to do it. However I had already decided to switch focus post Roth to "running" a marathon. Faster than 2:45 anyways for DCM I think will be the next goal.

Swim: nothing
    Bike distance: 174km
    Bike time: 6:30
    Bike work: 4150 kj
    Run distance: 64km
    Run time: 5:02
    Total time: 11:33

A couple of things happened last week that helped me get my mojo back. A conversation with LCD sowed the seeds of a deeper conversation with herself and an even deeper one with myself. Two or three runs demonstrated hints of the sensation of just floating over the ground. I rode with the club and got dropped. Each of these added to and reinforced my confidence and I was all set for a great week this week.

I started to get a mouth ulcer yesterday on my tongue. It got worse and worse and today I could neither eat nor talk. I got a nice run done and despite working late (just finished, working from home tonight) I was going to do my turbo at 2130. However my tongue is still bad, I've not eaten today and now I have a sore throat, an ear ache and a slight temperature.

So while my motivation is great and I could HTFU and force myself through it HTFU is no good without an element of smart. I could hammer the set, not hit the numbers, get annoyed and loose motivation. Or I could accept that tonights turbo will not happen and the ride in the morning would be better off skipped.

So instead of hammering myself into a hole and staying there for another 18 months. I going to do a few more builds worth of work. Have a glass of wine and go to bed. I'm going to stay in bed late too. Then if I feel healthy and can eat tomorrow I will do tonights turbo tomorrow and just be happy.

I think, nah hope, that this week will be my last week on this blog.

So a little more work and then a glass of wine and some telly turned into a good bit more work, then a bottle of wine and three episodes of Spartacus : Vengence.

Was good that I had binned the mornings cycle as I still had an ear ache and sore throat, but also at 0700 Aoibhe (25 months) started puking. I only had a short dash from my room into her as opposed to a transition style sprint from the shed. Much cleaning and cuddling later we were down stairs and she got a slice of toast for breakfast rather than porridge and natural yoghurt and fruit so she won't get sick. Herself came down with the 3 month old and into the kitchen. Aoibhe then vomitted all over the floor. Herself and myself looked at each other and said at the same time - "Happy Valentines".

Swim: nothing
    Bike distance: 174km
    Bike time: 6:30
    Bike work: 4150 kj
    Run distance: 70km
    Run time: 5:30
    Total time: 12:01

Appears I forgot to upload a run from last week. New numbers.

This is the point that if I was a theist I would say "Oh someone upstairs has a sense of humour".

Motivation back, arrangements made to facilitate more training. Happy days.

Then half of work gets sick. Then I get sick. Antibotics for 5 days, sick cert for 3 days. No exercises for 14 days. I've a feeling only the first one will happen.

So Doctors orders were to stay in bed and take it easy for the rest of the week.

I interpreted this as "work until 2230 tonight and then go into work for a production upgrade that has your fingerprints all over it but get a taxi in and a lift home straight after".

Going up and down the stairs in work is killing me.

Ear infection, sore throat, all kicking off my asthma. The little lad had a double ear infection and a chest infection a fortnight ago and eh didn't whinge or whimper once (well much at all, we weren't even sure he was sick). So he is making me look bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ear infection, sore throat, all kicking off my asthma. The little lad had a double ear infection and a chest infection a fortnight ago and eh didn't whinge or whimper once (well much at all, we weren't even sure he was sick). So he is making me look bad.
    The little lad had 'boy flu'. You clearly have 'full-blown Man-flu'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

The wife and kids were away yesterday so when the alarm clock went off for a morning swim the sound of a phone gentlely buzzing just didn't have the same impact as a 25 month old shouting "DA DA SUN UP - UP, UP, UP" (We got her a Glo clock. Between 7pm and 7am it shows a blue star meaning sleep time, 7am to 7pm a yellow sun meaning its okay to get up. When the sun comes up we know about it). So I overused the snooze button, missed my swim and was late for work. The cycle to work was a huge struggle. "So this is what the doctor meant about being wiped out for a fortnight." Muscles wanted to cramp 500m from the house.

Easy run with a club mate at lunch. He is nursing an injury and I was fvcked so it was a match made in heaven. We both ran slow and sh1t. Problem here is that normally (i.e. pre Austria 2010) I'd run 50-60 seconds faster than me when running easy. I'm working on getting back there. Is is content to let "his physio" sort his injury. I had hoped to drag him to that pace with me but "his physio" is not having much luck sorting him. Despite manty visits. At this moment I know of four people being fvcked around by physios. Arsing about with flufffy cr@p and being fleeced. Three of them I can forgive. Not this lad. I arranged for him to see someone last year to sort his running. He opened his hips and thought him to run properly. Partially as a favour to me, partially as he wanted this lad to spank me and give me a kick in the ar$e. He dropped 30 seconds off his pace in less than a month. He refuses to go back to this guy "cause he is seeing his physio". Join the fvcking dots, yes the man is a tenner more expensive and yes you cannot claim more back on the med1 cause he isn't a chartered physio. But 5x€40 with 20% back and nothing fixed is still more than €50 and being fixed and being given a refresher course in running. I've tried. Thats all I can do.

With the wife and kids away there was little point in going home for bed time as there was no one to put to bed. So I went swimming. I was dreading this for a number of reasons: (1) I'd not swam in months (2) I fvcking hate my pool as its a fitness pool rather than a swimming pool. i.e. no sense of ettiquette in its users. No signage about lane speed. And mainly people just don't know how to swim with others. Specifically others than can swim. I tool solace in the fact I was slow and there would be no way I would swim faster than 2:00 per 100m and 1:00 per 50m. So people wouldn't get in my way too much. (3) It was the evening so the pool would be worse.

Three lanes, the wall lane out for obvious reasons. Middle lane filled with cappers. Outside lane had two lads in it swimming hand to foot. One had a green Hell of the West hat. Jumped in there as I thought there was a chance that they knew what they were doing. Warm up was 2x100sw, 2x100p, 100k. Aiming for short reps done right rather than slogging. The limiter at this stage is my feel for my water and local muscular endurance - not cardio fitness.

Within 50m I realised one thing. The two lads didn't know what they were doing and took a rugby scrum approach to turns. "Touch-pause-engage", they may even have crouched. Number one dropped his elbows horrifically, number two entered the water with his right elbow and not his hand. Number two kicked with his quads. Both had shocking body position and no sense of balance. Part of me wanted to tell them. Most of me said fvck it.

After 100m I realised something else. 1.32 swimming easy. That was unexpected. As was the 1.33, 1.36 and 1.39 that followed. The increase in time for the pull suggests that I am not entering and catching the water properly and need to sweep out a little more than I am doing. Drills followed. Mid scull made my left tricep hurt - an old injury. Need to strengthen up. A series of 50s to finish. 50s +/- 2 seconds all easy. 2.1km done but I fear my left tricep needs some work before I swim properly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

You survived the Monday evening madness that can go on in the pool then! I could probably guess who the people were in the middle lane, one of them have a red hat by any chance and seems to try and hug the water which his arms rather than using his arms for propulsion?

Bambaata wrote: »
    You survived the Monday evening madness that can go on in the pool then! I could probably guess who the people were in the middle lane, one of them have a red hat by any chance and seems to try and hug the water which his arms rather than using his arms for propulsion?

Nah - green kilkee hat. Initially I jumped in to rescue them.

Woke up for my swim yesterday morning brutally hungover. I cursed my alcoholism and went back to sleep cursing myself. Woke some time later style hung over and cursed myself some more as i dragged my ass out of bed for work. Some time later I realised that I hadn't actually been drinking the night before. That I'd actually gone to bed early to be fresh and rested. This was not good.

Struggled in work, tried a run at lunch and cramped all over. Miserable form and still felt hungover. A hangover is fine when you've been drinking, not when you haven't been.

So I knew on the way up to the Man with The Tan that I was in trouble. The cramps on yesterdays run and swim. The cramps at lunch. Generally feeling sh1t. I knew that I would seem far worse that I was pre illness and I resigned myself to needing another session next week. What I hadn't expected was that he'd barely be able to work on my. I was hopping off the table. Worse than ever. Worse than when he worked on me after the bus. Had to basically call it quits as he couldn't do what needed to be done. "Its either a side effect of the anti-botics or a viral infection Dave" he told me. I called into the local chemist, JJ sound bloke, and asked the name of them and side effects. "None David, you've had it loads of times". So viral infection then. Non-specific symptoms, just ride it out.

C0ck

Getting bloods done at 9am tomorrow. WBC, RBC, HCT and Hgb.

Suspect WBC very elevated.
    HCT less than 40
    HgB nominal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

tunney wrote: »
    Getting bloods done at 9am tomorrow. WBC, RBC, HCT and Hgb.

Suspect WBC very elevated.
    HCT less than 40
    HgB nominal.
    What would your normal HCt be about?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    What would your normal HCt be about?

Mid forties when not a fat wine drinking haribo munchie lard arse.

Highest ever was just over 52 but that was 2009.

WBC 6400 per micro litre. Nominal range 4,500-10,000 white blood cells per microliter

Not a viral infection.

Haemoglobin 15.4 Nominal range 14-18 gm/dl for an adult male. I'd normally be on the high end of the range and have been mid 19s before so perhaps a little low but acceptable.

Haematocrit 47.2% Nominal range 41-50% for an adult male. Again acceptable. Highs of 52.x% a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

So you are as fit as a horse?

Advertisement