Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub nine or bust

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    Threshold run at lunch with Mr Tango. Mix of supra and super threshold due to the poxy wind.

You bad boys broken 5min km pace yet for threshold effort. It will be amusing to see how slow both your marathon times will be in Roth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

You bad boys broken 5min km pace yet for threshold effort. It will be amusing to see how slow both your marathon times will be in Roth.

Our marathon times and your swim time will be indistinguishable.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My response - "I got hammered by the faster swimmers in the lane".
    I got taught good swim (and bike, and run) etiquette by friends and members of the club. I keep out of the way of the faster swimmers in the lane (usually thats everyone else).
    I usually never offer unsolicited advice, while I appreciate getting it I know others don't.
    If I ever meet you in a pool, I'll take any and all advice except 'just give up ffs youre a lost cause'. ;)

Oryx wrote: »
    I got taught good swim (and bike, and run) etiquette by friends and members of the club. I keep out of the way of the faster swimmers in the lane (usually thats everyone else).

If I ever meet you in a pool, I'll take any and all advice except 'just give up ffs youre a lost cause'. ;)

I thought about this more and I actually learnt most of the pool etiquette without getting kicked around. I had the privilege of being taught to swim by some very nice guys and gals from my old club (and they moved with me to the new club) and from. And from guys and gals from 3dtri.

I'm being unfair to them to not recognise this.

Perhaps I should try to be less of a pr1ck and accept that maybe not everybody was taken under the wing of nice, pleasant, experienced, helpful athletes. Although i suspect an element of "cvntness" will be still required.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

We wouldn't have it any other way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Same people in those lanes every morning - im not in the same gym but it all sounds familiar. They know you are swimming 4 lengths before they are finished 2 but will wait till you are at the 'T' before they push off. Overtaking is good practice for the tri swim and people are just being awkward - once you do it a few times they learn to move.

Other pet hate (since we are getting things off our chest) - where 3 or more stand having a chat at the end and ignore those that like to hit the wall on turns or just finish a rep properly. Where i learnt to swim that would have got you two feet on the back - funny you don't stand their chatting again!!! Not advocating this however but if you do a slow enough tumble a gap will form pretty quickly!!!!

Anyways - Glenda is sick at the moment so after the swim yesterday instead of rushing to work I went back home.

We chatted a bit. I mentioned how the swim went and times and she gave me a b0ll0cking. Her take "Based on 2 weeks swimming you are swimming well enough. Your running isn't too bad, but you just haven't done the work on the bike. Last year you promised me that if you entered a race you would either train for it or give up the sport. You have not trained for Roth. Now I know you will enter a race for 2013 but I am telling you this. You train hard and race well or I will sell your bikes. I'm serious, shake on it."

So we did and then she followed up with "Do you understand I am telling you to train more."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

So we did and then she followed up with "Do you understand I am telling you to train more."

Lucky man :) Any tips on how to achieve such Nirvanna :D

RedB wrote: »
    Lucky man :) Any tips on how to achieve such Nirvanna :D

I went out with some nutters in my time (also known as normal girls). I came to the conclusion in my late teens than 99% of women were utterly insane and if I ever found myself going out with one of the 1% that I should do everything I could to hold onto her. I imaginatively called it the 99-1 rule.

So firstly it helps she is sane.

After that I'm not sure what I did to deserve her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

"I sell your bikes" :eek:

there's really no need for threats like that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Glenda is a keeper so

Poxy 24/7 support there goes my Saturday morning long run.........

To stop further abusive phone calls about "HTFU Dave you might never get rung"

I have whinging cause I was rung, the problem has I have been working since 11pm on a production issue and no end in sight. I will only be getting to bed when I should be getting up to go run!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

To stop further abusive phone calls about "HTFU Dave you might never get rung"

I have whinging cause I was rung, the problem has I have been working since 11pm on a production issue and no end in sight. I will only be getting to bed when I should be getting up to go run!!

when else on sat can u get the run in? if not how about switching things up...mon swim instead sat....long bikr sun.long run b4 work mon.problem solved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Mr Tango wrote: »
    Same people in those lanes every morning - im not in the same gym but it all sounds familiar. They know you are swimming 4 lengths before they are finished 2 but will wait till you are at the 'T' before they push off. Overtaking is good practice for the tri swim and people are just being awkward - once you do it a few times they learn to move.

In my pool people do this all the time, worst thing is they're usually breaststrokers...

Yeaaaaaahhhhhh, 24/7 support strikes again. This time just as I was heading out the door for my long run. I had just gotten over having to work through the night last night and then "kaboom" Disaster in North America, this is going to be nasty...................

Fvkcing ruined an otherwise decent week for training..........

Today and tomorrow written off as a result.

Right, a reasonable week last week. To a point. There always is a "to a point" with me eh?

From Monday morning to Friday lunchtime it was good. I was feeling great, and hitting the targets for the swim/run focus for that period. Friday night and Saturday and Sunday were to be a bike/run focus.

I work in Software and every few weeks I have to do 24/7 Third line support. Normally its one two hour out of hours call a week.

I spent most of Friday night, most of Saturday day, most of Saturday night and most of Sunday - pretty much all the weekend - dealing with a few crises - so I missed all the biking and all the running. I dragged my ass to the pool for a swim on Sunday to do something during a lull. I brought the work blackberry with me and had it in a water proof container. Plan was for a quick 3km and home. What actually happened was I fell asleep when I parked the car and only ended up doing 10x100sw

I'm now exhausted and frustrated and there is little scope for catching up on sleep, with little people in the house its impossible to do so (and no JB isn't staying with me, I meant the kids)

Numbers anyways

Swim time: 4:44
    Swim distance: 13.7km
    Bike time: 0:00
    Bike distance: 0:00
    Run time: 4:11
    Run distance: 55km
    Total time: 8:55

Some times life conspires.........

Swim dist : 3.2km
    Swim time : 1:07
    Bike dist : 23km
    Bike time : 1:00
    Bike work : 843kj
    Run dist : 80km
    Run time : 6:27
    Total time : 8:34

This will be my last entry on here. I should have let it die long ago!

Advertisement