Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub nine or bust

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭twonpelota

Oryx wrote: »
    Oh ffs. I cringed as I read that. All I can say is you poor backstard. How long will this put you out of stuff like swimming?

A few weeks, back in the hospital tomorrow.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You really are having the training season from hell.

You really are having the training season from hell.

Mostly self inflicted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Oh ffs. I cringed as I read that.

+1. Spoiler alert needed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

Look on the bright side, at least you weren't hit by a bus.............

I'll get me coat :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

griffin100 wrote: »
    Look on the bright side, at least you weren't hit by a bus.............
    I'll get me coat :pac:

Or fell into an aero wheel....

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

twonpelota wrote: »
    Span the wheel to check the chain line. This is where I would normally stop the wheel and cranks to pull on the chain to get there was a little slack but not too much. This time I didn't stop them. Mistake. Hand pulled into the cranks, middle finger on my right hand mangled. 1145 at night.

This is where having kids catches up with you. Doing simple stuff late at night when you're tired and you screw it up...

Look on the bright side, looks like a turbo focus for a couple of weeks.

Back from hospital.

No infection. Dressing changed. Back in next week.

In a good bit of pain, last night was very bad.

Worst is 3-4 weeks out of the water.

Back swimming with 5-6 months out of the water 5 months before Roth. Going to be "interesting"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

In the words of Monty Python "Its just a flesh wound! :)

Speedy Recovery T. Legs can continue, you still have enough time to swim back to form. 9.49 still on the cards. Head up and move on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Back from hospital.

No infection. Dressing changed. Back in next week.

In a good bit of pain, last night was very bad.

Worst is 3-4 weeks out of the water.

Back swimming with 5-6 months out of the water 5 months before Roth. Going to be "interesting"

Sure i will make room on my lilo and we can glide around:) as NW mentioned it will give you an opportunity get a lot of turbo work done and get working on your numbers to get them back up to trained levels.

• Advertisement

It was always going to happen....... I'm out.

I've not got back into training, I will get back into it, I have to for my own health and sanity however I'm not going to get into respectable shape so I'm cutting my losses and not taking the offer of being allowed to do Barcelona. Roth will be it for me this year. No Barcelona, taking it completely off the cards. Now to get out of the Sub Nine Pen in Roth..............

Last weeks numbers

Swim: Nada
    Bike Dist: 60km
    Bike Time: 2:22
    Bike work: 1774KJ
    Run Dist: 15km
    Run Time 1:11
    Total Time: 3:33

I don't think the two hospital trips count as training.

Hows the hand?

Hows the hand?

A two year old stood on it on Saturday,Monday and Tuesday.

Was back in hospital yesterday and when they took the bandages off the nurse went "woooooooohhhhh, what happened here".

Fairly manky. Will live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

A two year old stood on it on Saturday,Monday and Tuesday.

Good job Sunday is a day of rest...... :D

"Daddy's finger is sore"
    Blank look
    "Daddy finger has an ouch"
    She kisses it better.

So cute.

But then two minutes later she stands on it. "Put me to fvcking bed will ya. Ouch that."

Ah, look on the bright side. Youve still got all your fingers. Youll still be able to pick your nose.

Bike Dist: 75km
    Bike Time: 3:03
    Bike Work: 2200KJ
    Run Dist: 53km
    Run Time: 4:22

Total time: 7:25

Comment: A week that started well and then went to total sh!t. Weekend a write-off. Should have been a good week. I even got the motivational email I'd been dreading. From the TriMonkey. "Well Dave, have things setttled down......" We left it post birth as things were just nuts and I couldn't keep to schedule, especially as I never got one into one post Austria 2010 and I was been given space. Still been given some space but with an expectation, I think, that that needs to end. Might be too late for 2012 but.....

Still out of the water for a while. Now that I am changing the dresssings myself I have an idea of how long its going to be. Its still manky and sore so a while yet!

Poxy northwesterly winds. Going to be an epic head wind in icy cold conditions. Cannot bail out this time........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Have they all gone up already?

Don't forget your SOS trip last year! ;)

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Have they all gone up already?

Don't forget your SOS trip last year! ;)

Went yesterday. Slept less than normal last night.

First night in four months in my own bed.
    Blackout blinds on the windows meant total darkness.
    Total silence in the house.

Couldn't settle.

Yes Nov/Dec 2010 made it 125km, ran out of lights as I got a puncture beside a graveyard. SOS.

Month before that epic headwind and bitterly cold. SOS and then took a day to warm up. Was underdressed.

So tomorrow. Assos heavy tights, with shorts and leg warmed underneath. Two pairs socks, clingfilm on shoes, heavyweight overshoes. Assos long sleeve baselayer, roubaix lined jacket, Assos AirBlock jacket and then a rain jacket over the top. Two paits gloves. Bean hat with a skull cap underneath. Buff covering my face.

Only thing to worry about is (a) rain and (b) I've not ridden longer than an hour since July.

Whats the trek, 160km?

I'm like a bull.
    I'm fvcking raging.

Turbo last night - missed. Computer had gone nuts and had to be fixed. 2 hours for the problem to be isolated as Microsoft AntiMalware forcing a continuous cycle of hang/crash/reboot.

Run this morning - missed. Took the road bike out and gave it the once over. It was fine when I locked it up so had assumed it would be a quick once over and then out for a run. Inside 0630 to 1000 was spent indexing gears and fixing derailleurs. Front one I got but not the back. Late to work and the ride to Cavan a non starter I was fuvcking raging all day. Still am. Not only have I missed three sessions due to sh!t not being maintained I also won't get to see my kids until late tomorrow rather than peeking in on them tonight.

Fvcking c0ck b0llcok cvnting day.

Nipped out at lunch to get new cables - inners and outers. Hopefully will let me fix the road bike tonight.

Popped into the new bike shop beside work.
    Me: "Some gear cables and gear cable outers please"
    Him: "Oh we don't believe gear cable outers, we find break cables ones work just as well"
    Me: "Sheldon Brown must be turning in his grave. WTF is this place? Wheelworx??"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

Nipped out at lunch to get new cables - inners and outers. Hopefully will let me fix the road bike tonight.

Popped into the new bike shop beside work.
    Me: "Some gear cables and gear cable outers please"
    Him: "Oh we don't believe gear cable outers, we find break cables ones work just as well"
    Me: "Sheldon Brown must be turning in his grave. WTF is this place? Wheelworx??"

You should have really confused him and asked him to explain the difference between tubs and clinchers :)

I was in a very new bike shop last summer set up and staffed by people with no clue (trying to take advantage of the BTW scheme) and asked for a set of cleats...................que lots of head scratching to be finally told that you couldn't buy cleats independently of shoes.........WTF?

Not a great week last week. Missed alot of scheduled sessions. Problems with bikes, and to be honest apathy were the main causes. Still my biggest week in lord knows how long.

Key session was a 6 hour ride to Cavan that got done in 5 hours. 150km roughly. Started off and was dreading it. Wanted to bail. Convinced that there was no way that I would make it. I'd only ridden 1 hour really sine IMde. Still I reckoned get as far as I could, then go a little more and then ring for a collection. Better than the bus.

Things didn't start too well as for long rides I'm normally 130bpm or so. Was way up 155bpm. Convinced myself I was sick and that I should turn back. Then convinced myself to suck it up. Did, then noticed I was riding at FTP. Explained the HR. Backed off and rode easy. Found myself near Dunshaughlin soon enough and met a bloke called Tony from Ravens CC and we rode together for 30 or so KM. Moving nicely and just chatting away. Nice guy, he turned off in Navan and I kept going.

By this stage I realised that something weird was going on. I was rolling nicely. Wattages felt fine and yes HR was elevated but it was constant. Navan came and went, then Kells, Virginia to Cavan is always a pain in the c0ck. 30+ km between towns. In past Poles Co-op outside Cavan and I know I'm on the home stretch.

My legs start to feel better and better. Around 100km I decide to do a little test set. 20minutes at IM HR (always remains the same for me really). 195watts AP, 196 NP. RPE seemed right too. That would be the max I'd hold. Realistically I'd expected 10 or so watts less than that.

By this stage it was pissing but I did not care. Cavan to Belturbet, Belturbet to Ballyconnell and I was there. And in time to have a shower and lift the eldest from her nap! Happy days.

More good to come. First long ride since IMde. 5:15, rode easy. 3 degrees, cold and wet.

5:15
    184 AP
    200 NP
    146bpm avg
    85rpm avg

IMde
    5:25
    184 AP
    200 NP
    146bpm avg
    84rpm avg

Numbers for the week:

6:25 on the bike (176km)(4389 joules)
    3:52 running (46km)
    Total time 10:18

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Gald to hear you made is safely and that was a very good ride for both the conditions and your ahem..condition.

What caught my eye though was...
    2:52 running (46km)
    :eek: :eek:

Gald to hear you made is safely and that was a very good ride for both the conditions and your ahem..condition.

What caught my eye though was...

:eek: :eek:

Typo :) Fixed 3:52 :)

Good spin and decent numbers to boot, AP184 for a 5hour+ ride considering your ahem;) late start to training for Roth bodes well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Fair play twon on the Cavan spin, must be of some comfort and good for confidence to see that you are more or less at the same level as you were at IMde. Onwards and upwards from here :)

Advertisement