Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub nine or bust

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭twonpelota

Today I managed to find time to have a shower. It's been an "interesting" two weeks and I had underestimated how busy is be. Not manages anything in a fortnight. I.think I will have to reassess next year!

a distinct and complete change of plans is required. originally goals may go and MCOS may be safe, want to do something to be proud of in 2012 just a question of what!!!!

Took the last two weeks off - not intended but my presence was required all the time and #1 was getting up around 0600 and couldn't force myself to get up before her as I was up late at nights too and it would have meant absolutely no sleep

Back to work today so with the mother-in-law in house (but not getting up before 0730) I had to plan ahead to get my "return to training" turbo done. I got to bed earlier last night and with #1 (22 months) waking at 0600-0630 the last two days if I wanted it done it had to be done at 0500, gear laid out, alarm set for 0500 and plan was to be going for 0510.

It was a nice plan. At 0458 #1 decided that this was it, she was going to have a nightmare or something and I was on duty. Thankfully a cuddle and in bed with me did it and she went back to sleep but given the wife cannot lift her (section) I had to stay in bed too.

2 != 1 + 1
    2 != 1 + 1
    2 != 1 + 1
    2 != 1 + 1
    2 != 1 + 1
    2 != 1 + 1
    2 != 1 + 1

11 = 1 + 1

Big fat nothings. That's what I'm posting training hours wise.

I'm blown away at the increase in work thats required of me. All I can say is I am delighted that I changed jobs from the chaos that was my old one to the organisation of this one. Couldn't handle chaos everywhere.

The eldest one is teething again, she needs constant attention. The little one is fine but has found his lungs. Infinitely better than herself at that age but still combine the two.

I had always trained early, so early that typically no one noticed a session unless it went over 2.5 hours. In the evenings I would train immediately after work. Or failing that late at night. Lunch times too.

The immediately after work training went out the window a good while back as that is story time and cannot be missed but there was the other options.

However at the moment with a complete refusal to share daddy (Seemingly I am "*MY* dada") and a requirement for me to do everything with the eldest combined with the last 3 teeth coming up means that

(a) Come 8-9pm the neurofen wears off and I'm on duty to calm her down and get her settled again. Can take up to 10pm. Means evening sessions out
    (b) Come 4am I'm back on duty to calm and reassure and settle. Lasts until 7:30. I set my alarm for 5am every morning and the latest I've gotten to was 4:58 before being called. I was awake and excited about a morning turbo from 4:55. Then the call came.

Last night I had a session planned, gear laid out and the eldest to bed. About to go get changed and then it started "DA DA, DA DA" 30 minutes of it, no crying, no screaming just constantly calling. She was wrecked so I left her be. It continued. After about 45 minutes she tried a "MA MA", only one and then back to "DA DA". After an hour she even tried a "BA BA", she didn't sound too sure on that one mind :) Anyways, come 60 minutes she went ape, and I was in bed for 2015, only way to get her to sleep was to go to bed with her. Thankfully I'd not changed into lycra at this stage. A nice nights sleep for a 5am FTP test. Not to be 3am call to duty.

Basically I am fat, unfit and detrained. I have a mountain of work to do before I can do any racing. I'm letting numbers go for a while and will aim to do something anyways. A fast IM may be out but worse comes to worse I can target something like a 2:3x marathon next Autumn, something that doesn't require too much time and effort. :)

Now off for coffee before I fall asleep. rambling alot too so apologies.

(As an aside I was at a wedding reception on Ssaturday night and it was a triathlon affair, got to know the happy couple through tri (different clubs but friendly with them), lots of triathletes there. Knew loads but two interesting encounters. "You're Txxxxx right?" "Yip." "I knew you from boards".)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Its not easy especially when your on call with the little ones!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Its not easy especially when your on call with the little ones!!

Throw in 2 more and it gets even more interesting, eh JB?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

Its 4am............

No. 4 (age 6 months) is teething and thus screaming.............

No. 3 (age 3) has planted herself in your bed, gets hysterical if you try and move her and insists on using Dad's head as a pillow to make sure you don't try and escape.........

and No.s 1 (age 7) and 2 (age 6) are projectile vomiting from their beds AGAIN and you've used up all of their clean bedclothes and pajamas already tonight......oh and the smell is making your wife puke......

now thats a rough night;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Nice topping of the original story there, griffin!

Speaking of war stories -at one stage we'd 4 kids aged 4 and under.

There was this one night...actually, time is a great healer and memory eraser.:)

I guess i am fortunate with my bunch listening to some of those war stories:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Thanks for scaring the bejayus out of me folks! :D

This week was to be my return to training.
    Nothing serious just 5 x 45-50 minute runs, 2x75 minute runs. Also 1x 2:30 easy bike, 1x FTP test, 2 turbos. All should have been achievable.

Warning signs came on Monday when 50 easy turned into suffering like a dog for 30 minutes. Monday turn was not great.

Tuesday's turbo didn't happen, the 45 easy with pieces turned into a slow slog fest with a high HR.

Same on Wednesday.

Thursyday I really wanted to bin the run but I forced myself out. Aches and pains and high HR. I put it down to being unfit. Hard turbo Thursday night just didn't feel right. Really having to work for it.

Today I am in bits and I've put 2 and 2 together. Whether I've gotten 4 or 5 I don't know.

A big filling in a molar a few months back. Severe tooth ache Sunday night and I've gone downhill since. I suspect an abscess and an infection. Dentist appointment in 40 minutes will see then. Thank god work are understanding about bailing. (Explains as well why I've been fairly useless all week and not getting as much done as I should have).

Wrecked.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Its 4am............

No. 4 (age 6 months) is teething and thus screaming.............

No. 3 (age 3) has planted herself in your bed, gets hysterical if you try and move her and insists on using Dad's head as a pillow to make sure you don't try and escape.........

and No.s 1 (age 7) and 2 (age 6) are projectile vomiting from their beds AGAIN and you've used up all of their clean bedclothes and pajamas already tonight......oh and the smell is making your wife puke......

now thats a rough night;)

Kids rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

Given how training is going i thought you may have been looking for an event to step down to:

http://trilimits.wordpress.com/decaman-ni/

Notwitch wrote: »
    Given how training is going i thought you may have been looking for an event to step down to:

http://trilimits.wordpress.com/decaman-ni/

I'm not reduced to that yet.

Flights and accomodation booked.

Flying and staying with another boardie (whose name does NOT start with a t, as in a completely different one) and a club mate.

I train daily with the club mate and talk to the boardie a good bit. I get the distinct impression a number of targets are being drawn on my back.

Life is definitely consriping against me. Tried a late night turbo the other night, turbo bike fvcked. Now have 4/6 bikes unridable. Going to have to knuckle down and just get back into it otherwise i'm going to make a twat of myself in Roth.

3-4 months since my last swim, ditto last run over 10km, ditto last bike with any intensity or over 1:00. No training week over 4 hours since then either. Ah feck it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

That completely sucks. Sorry man, hope it gets back on track for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

twonpelota wrote: »
    Life is definitely consriping against me.

Feck it is right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Oryx wrote: »
    That completely sucks. Sorry man, hope it gets back on track for ya.

+1

• Advertisement

Still 207 days to go which is plenty of time to get some good work done if life settles down a little.

Still 207 days to go which is plenty of time to get some good work done if life settles down a little.

I think we both know its not so I have to learn to adapt!

I think we both know its not so I have to learn to adapt!

I was giving you false hope:) tough juggling everything eh!!

Will you focus on more quality with shorter and tougher sessions given less training time available this time around?

I was giving you false hope:) tough juggling everything eh!!

Will you focus on more quality with shorter and tougher sessions given less training time available this time around?

More thinking lipsuction and drugs.

But failing that yes.

swim-300x173.png

Easy swimming pace (untested as not swam in three months but a worst case guess)

bike-300x173.png

FTP - if I rode my bike it might go up

run-300x173.png

Easy running pace, not that any running feels easy at the moment

weight-300x124.png

Weight - where I am, where I need to be, how I plan to get there

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

Have you been getting your lunchtime runs in?

How do you define 'easy' for the run these days - conversation pace and breathing or your old HR targets?

Notwitch wrote: »
    Have you been getting your lunchtime runs in?

How do you define 'easy' for the run these days - conversation pace and breathing or your old HR targets?

Well once I'm capable of running easy :) Conversation, breathing, feel and old HR targets. they've never really changed. 151bpm is all day HR.

50/50 on the lunch runs.

A bad bad bad Christmas for training. 1 cycle, 3-4 runs.

Impressive how much weight I put on. Now 12st 8lbs. A whole 2 stone over race weight.

Anyways - of the three of us going to Roth together two of us are doing an FTP test tonight. He doesn't have a PM so is using my CT. I'll use my CT and SRMs (5-6% difference). Should be interesting to see how our FTP compares. I know the FTP of the third lad so can compare that too. I suspect that both of us tonight will be 60-70 watts less.
    Protocol involves a 5minute TT before the 20 minute TT so its more likely to be an accurate FTP, rather than the best 20 minute TT value you can get

Any guesses on what my FTP will be? Answers on the back of a postcard.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Any guesses on what my FTP will be? Answers on the back of a postcard.......

270w

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

250w, anything higher and you have been sandbagging ;)

Advertisement