Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub nine or bust

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Well fair play to all that.

You've obviously been close before so hopefully
    Muscle and endurance memory kicks in and helps you achieve your goals.

Defo a hard challenge, but fortune favours the brave and a can do attitude.

Go for it. And lay off the wine :) all of it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭twonpelota

Time to let this one die!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

twonpelota wrote: »

What the log? the goals? Already? :confused:

What the log? the goals? Already? :confused:

The log. The need has been removed. As in the secrecy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Busted already? Has the OH considered detective work? Still I think might not be a bad idea to continue the thread without any of the pretence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

ecoli wrote: »
    continue the thread without any of the pretence

I dont think anyone was in any doubt who Twon was anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Dang! I just discovered this today.

Busted already? Has the OH considered detective work? Still I think might not be a bad idea to continue the thread without any of the pretence

She can read me well, combined with me not liking to lie. She gave me permission to do Roth before she found out I entered last June. Amazingly getting permission was simple. "You are more motivated, better organised, get more done around the house and happier when you train properly like you did for Austria". "Maybe I should just enter Roth then". "Yes you should, when do you need to enter I thought Roth would sell out". "Eh......." Came clean Monday night, no fuss (for a woman due next Tuesday it was pretty amazing), just "I'm disappointed you didn't feel you could explain why you wanted to do this, and this is the second time you've done this". Best wife ever.
    EC1000 wrote: »
    I dont think anyone was in any doubt who Twon was anyway!

No a pretty bad secret.

The premise of the log stands. I have till the end of the year to go from Tummy to ...... or I bin it. Baby due this day week so two under two. 18 months off training, 21 pounds over weight, easy pace running is 5min per km, swimming is shocking and my bike is still in the box after frankfurt. Always was a long shot but sure will still give it a lash. now or never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Amazingly getting permission was simple. "You are more motivated, better organised, get more done around the house and happier when you train properly like you did for Austria". "Maybe I should just enter Roth then". "Yes you should, when do you need to enter I thought Roth would sell out". "Eh......." Came clean Monday night, no fuss (for a woman due next Tuesday it was pretty amazing), just "I'm disappointed you didn't feel you could explain why you wanted to do this, and this is the second time you've done this". Best wife ever.

Must use that approach in future. become pure lazy when I am not training tha eventually a OH will beg me to train quite ingenius really:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Still I think might not be a bad idea to continue the thread without any of the pretence

+1 to this it would be a great insight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

will still give it a lash. now or never.

Excellent. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'm in a similar boat to you in terms of family priorities... albeit at a very different standard of competition :) Fair play and best of luck.

Mah - if people want it here rather than the club site............. Still can just copy and paste now...........

Plan for today

Lunch : 50 easy with club mate (hes has just been okayed for Roth and Barca, his wife and mine are friends so may not even have to ask about Barca if I commit)

Evening: Figure out what the hell is wrong with my Computrainer. A friend who has one is coming over and we are going to test it in my shed with my computer and then figure out what part of mine isn't working. Did the same in his house at the weekend and the thing worked. Then didn't work in my house. Either the power supply in the shed, the laptop, or some electromagnetic interference in the shed.

Plan for tomorrow

Morning : Hour tough turbo, dentist trip
    Lunch: 50 easy run with some pieces
    PM: Work night out

Plan for Thursday
    Morning: Swim - strength session (hungover)
    Lunch: Tempo run
    PM: DIY, depending on how long this takes an easy turbo

Plan for Friday
    Morning: Swim
    Lunch: 30 recovery run
    PM: Hill repeats on Howth.

Plan for Saturday
    Stupid o'clock: 2:30 ride
    Evening: 30-50 run easy

Plan for Sunday
    Stupid o'clock: 1:30 run

Plan for next week:
    Monday
    Morning: Swim
    Lunch: Tempo run

Tuesday
    Stupid o'clock: Tempo run
    Morning: Wife has baby #2 via section

Rest of week:
    Panic and survive

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Tuesday

I can't decide between :eek::eek::eek::eek: and :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

I think here works better - more chance of discussion!

Always interested in the fast pieces you through into your easy runs. Strides or longer/harder?

Hope all goes well next week.

Tuesday

Rest of week:
    Panic and survive

Good luck with the bambino. Doubling up is always fun just don't try doubling up from 2 to 4 as it can be a handful.:)

Notwitch wrote: »
    I think here works better - more chance of discussion!

Always interested in the fast pieces you through into your easy runs. Strides or longer/harder?

Hope all goes well next week.

Fast pieces for me typically means something that not going to load up the legs and cardio system but will help me "remember" how to run fast. No more than five minutes "work" through the session

Yesterday was a good days training, tough turbo and then a nice run by the sea front later in the day.

Today not so good. I had forgotten that I was booked in with the man with the tan for some pre-tot maintenance. I'll still be training but won't have time to get any remedial work done so aiming for some preventative.

So issues with my right calf that manifested as a fatty pad issue and had to be taped and general tightness too.

45 minutes of pain and being called fat.

Yesterday was a good days training, tough turbo and then a nice run by the sea front later in the day.

Today not so good. I had forgotten that I was booked in with the man with the tan for some pre-tot maintenance. I'll still be training but won't have time to get any remedial work done so aiming for some preventative.

So issues with my right calf that manifested as a fatty pad issue and had to be taped and general tightness too.

45 minutes of pain and being called fat.

Turned out it was only 40 minutes and I was called well -insulated.

calf problem was a symptom of something else - a twisted pelvis. Also turns out following testing that my left stride is 3-4 inches shorter than my right. Need to address that.

Weekly weigh in

Not too bad considering the amount of crap I am eating
    weight-21-October-2011-16-51-29-263x300.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Are you just tracking weight or are you tracking %BF also?

How did you diagnose the discrepency in stride length? And more importantly, how will you rectify it? Not easy to judge that when running.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Are you just tracking weight or are you tracking %BF also?

How did you diagnose the discrepency in stride length? And more importantly, how will you rectify it? Not easy to judge that when running.

bodyfat-21-October-2011-17-12-471-263x300.png

Hydration levels have been inconsistent so BF has been too.

Stride length - running on sand at various paces.

• Advertisement

Toughest running session since the end of 2009 on Saturday night. Hills reps on Howth hill beside the church. Nearly puked. Hit 194bpm. Ouchy - glutes and quads are still in an utter jock today.

Great session.

Rest of the weekend a write off though. Spent it up to my elbows in masonary drill bits, hammers and grinders.

On another note - Barcelona is off. Flew a kite on this and it got shot down with such force I didn't push it.

Also need to get onto the organisers of Roth to have them move it. The week after the Stone Roses in Manchester is not ideal and I'd like them to move it to the week before the gig.

(Got a present of two tickets to the Saturday gig - myself and the OH will dump the kids and return to our youth.....)

The attached image file shows exactly how pants the GPS altitude data from a Garmin is. (Also shows how good it is that the 910XT is moving to a barametric altometer.

The drop and subsequent climb in the first blue selection just didn't happen.
    Lap 6 was running *up* the hill.
    Lap 7 was coming *down* the hill.

Garmin reports it as being the opposite.

I knew that GPS altitude data wasn't accurate but I had expected it to be just off by 10-20 metres consistently, not total junk.

howth-300x108.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Toughest running session since the end of 2009 on Saturday night. Hills reps on Howth hill beside the church. Nearly puked. Hit 194bpm. Ouchy - glutes and quads are still in an utter jock today.

Great session.

Rest of the weekend a write off though. Spent it up to my elbows in masonary drill bits, hammers and grinders.

How long reps were you doing on that section, its a bitch there.

shels4ever wrote: »
    How long reps were you doing on that section, its a bitch there.

My first "hard run" in lord knows how long and I am 12kg overweight so short.

1 minute up, jog down recovery, starting from a bollard opposite the church each time. Covered 230m on average, shortest was 225, longest 234 so happy I paced them well.

Expect to up the reps before the duration.

My first "hard run" in lord knows how long and I am 12kg overweight so short.

1 minute up, jog down recovery, starting from a bollard opposite the church each time. Covered 230m on average, shortest was 225, longest 234 so happy I paced them well.

Expect to up the reps before the duration.
    used to use Killrock road (I think thats the one) for session if the church area was busy. Not a bad hills around there if your doing longer reps.

shels4ever wrote: »
    used to use Killrock road (I think thats the one) for session if the church area was busy. Not a bad hills around there if your doing longer reps.

Don't know where that road is, most find it. Although 2100 on a Saturday night was quiet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The attached image file shows exactly how pants the GPS altitude data from a Garmin is. (Also shows how good it is that the 910XT is moving to a barametric altometer.
    Not sure what SW you are running (Training Peaks?), but can you turn on something similar to GPS Elevation correction??

Don't know where that road is, most find it. Although 2100 on a Saturday night was quiet :)

I laughed, sure what else would someone be doing on a Saturday night:)

If i am right where the church is the steepest part of that climb, tough going on a bike let alone running hill repeats. Good stuff.

• Advertisement

If you go past the harbour don't turn right up the hill to the church, go to the end (Balscadden), there is a right turn the runs alost to the sumitt, its all quite housing,

Advertisement