Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Talking about bad browsers I use IE 11 to browse here as its less demanding on the RAM than Firefox which I would normally use. Its just that this is an old(ish) desktop PC Im using temporarily while my usual PC has been returned to the manufacturers for repairs.

So I have 2 problems with IE that I don't have with Firefox. First of all I cant play any of these vines/gif's (I think that's what they're called) that are posted in this thread.

Secondly when I am replying to a post and I try to edit part of the quoted post in this forum the cursor wont go back into the dialogue box again. If I just quote the post in its entirety then its fine but trying to remove some part of the quoted post is causing issues then.

Anyone any ideas to what needs to be changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dont use IE. Its seriously bad. Running joke of the industry bad.

Compliance tests:
    492	Chrome 52
    461	Firefox 48	
    460	Edge 14	
    370	Safari 9.1
    [B]312[/B]	Internet Explorer 11

The second problem is an issue with the way the Talk2 forum is built. IMO its very poor.

Click the "View Source" button in those fora to return to regular edit mode. Type after the final "[/Quote]" tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭cobham

Just to report back.... things are flying now :) happy bunny.

I got the techie other half to have a look and he reported back:

"I ran an anti-malware program which identified (and eliminated) over 400 threats. These were not identified or prevented by my anti-virus program (AVG). Malware threats aren’t necessarily viruses but do slow down the PC.

The program is called “Malwarebytes” and it is completely free. (There is also a paid version of it). It’s available at https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/ You need to install it and run it as a one-off scan. I uninstalled it immediately after I ran it. (Be a little careful when downloading the free version, and check what boxes are pre-ticked; otherwise you may end up installing the premium or a trial version of it)."

I have virus checker AVG that thought that would sort above but not good enough apparently.

Thank you to Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

AVG is fairly poor to be honest, Windows Defender and Malwarebytes are all a lot of people use, Windows Defender does real time coverage and then I run a Malwarebytes every few weeks in case of anything falling through the cracks

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

cobham wrote: »
    You need to install it and run it as a one-off scan. I uninstalled it immediately after I ran it.

Just wondering....why did you uninstall it? As far as I'm aware, you keep it on your computer and simply update the database version (after you've opened the icon) before running your next scan. Actually, I've 'lost' it a couple of times and just installed it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

AVG is fairly poor to be honest, Windows Defender and Malwarebytes are all a lot of people use, Windows Defender does real time coverage and then I run a Malwarebytes every few weeks in case of anything falling through the cracks

I thought Windows Defender was one of the weakest AV?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Not sure on the older versions but it's solid on Windows 10

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ok, so I just downloaded and ran malwarebytes. No issues apart from two programs that it said I did not want/need. I couldn't figure what they were so dumped them anyway. (and uninstalled M) My installed (paid for) Avira then complained that something was messing with my computer so I ran that too. Clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Having read the posts from the last couple of days, I am glad I don't have to deal with all that stuff.

5728744112.png

I'm putting this here because I might be having a senior moment (there's a lot of them about recently). Does this speed test make any sense. Isn't the download usually faster than the upload, and considering I normally have speeds in the 70s for download, am I missing something here?

edit - just checked it with Eircom speed test (which is also Ookla) and it says 21.66 download and 19.38 upload.

I am watching an awful lot of little circley arrows this evening though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You are right, the DL is usually faster than the UL speed. Couldn't tell you the typical ratio with Eir. Try restarting the modem.

Tried the switch it off and on (the modem, did the computer earlier) again, and its still just as bad if not worse - twice there was not enough download to do the test. Now it is 1.4. I will switch everything off overnight and let it think about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Deffo something wrong there.

5729029242.png

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

5729207694.png

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

looksee wrote: »
    5728744112.png

I'm putting this here because I might be having a senior moment (there's a lot of them about recently). Does this speed test make any sense. Isn't the download usually faster than the upload, and considering I normally have speeds in the 70s for download, am I missing something here?

edit - just checked it with Eircom speed test (which is also Ookla) and it says 21.66 download and 19.38 upload.

I am watching an awful lot of little circley arrows this evening though.

Eir have reported a core transmission fault (most likely a lad with a JCB) between Portlaoise and Limerick. Itll cause widespread issues until fixed (may be now).

ED E wrote: »
    Eir have reported a core transmission fault (most likely a lad with a JCB) between Portlaoise and Limerick. Itll cause widespread issues until fixed (may be now).

I had the connection drop out earlier but it came back within a few hours.

5729767380.png

Ah ha! Either Eir sorted it or switching it off for a few hours worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5730711243

mind you I am on an olde worlde computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Rubecula wrote: »
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5730711243

mind you I am on an olde worlde computer

Luxury. Look at mine.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5730870159

But, it does what I want, no problem.

5730879406.png

Still on low speeds here also :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

All the cool kids are using fast.com these days.

5uspect wrote: »

What's that?

looksee wrote: »
    What's that?

https://fast.com/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

5uspect wrote: »

Same result tbh.