Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sounds like I don't need one of those yokes, so. Surface Pro with Windows 10 boots up and ready to roll in seconds already. Unless it already has one and I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Sounds like I don't need one of those yokes, so. Surface Pro with Windows 10 boots up and ready to roll in seconds already. Unless it already has one and I don't know.

Yea, they have SSDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

If you need a lot of storage a hybrid drive is a good compromise too. I have one, there's a hidden 8gb ssd section that stores the frequently used programs which gives rapid startup plus a one terabyte area for storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭cnoc

My AC Adapter for Dell Vostro 3550 is getting very hot for last few nights. Generally, I use the laptop about 2 hrs each night. Tonight I plugged in a different adapter from when I had a Dell Inspiron, and the battery is charging. Is it safe to continue using the older adapter? I cannot read the ratings on the current adapter because they are smudged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Did you ever replace the battery in the laptop?

How hot is hot? can you hold it in your hand for a minute or is it too hot for that? if so bin it.

• Advertisement

Steve wrote: »
    Did you ever replace the battery in the laptop?

How hot is hot? can you hold it in your hand for a minute or is it too hot for that? if so bin it.

Thanks. Yes it gets very hot after about 30 mins. I'd better buy a new one.

I tried to do a scan with Windows Defender and was prompted that it doesn't have an associated file. As advised, I went into Default Program, and said Defender is turned off. Message said "click here to turn it on". Then this msg appeared, "This program is blocked by group policy. Error code 0x8007ec.

Any advice please?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

I had a similar problem and turned out another antivirus piece of software was stopping it from working.

Uninstalled other software and defender is working fine now.

Hope this helps

PS. you can check in add/remove programs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

JOSman wrote: »
    I has a similar problem and turned out another antivirus piece of software was stopping it from working.

Uninstalled other software and defender is working fine now.

Hope this helps

PS. you can check in add/remove programs
    Yea, most likely thats all it is.

Try the fixit link in this article if still no joy.

You should only have 1 antivirus running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I was working on two large and very important spreadsheets last night and saved them both before closing down. I haven't been able to find the spreadsheets today but I can see two mysterious tmp files I don't recognise and think these must be my files. Is there any way I can recover my spreadsheets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I was working on two large and very important spreadsheets last night and saved them both before closing down. I haven't been able to find the spreadsheets today but I can see two mysterious tmp files I don't recognise and think these must be my files. Is there any way I can recover my spreadsheets?
    Im probably the wrong person to attempt an answer but I would think the tmp files are backups or copies of your original spreadsheets.

Open your documents folder and search for the name of your file, assuming you give it a name / title or click on the start button at the bottom left of the screen in search from and insert the file name in the search box.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

make a copy of the .tmp files and rename to .xls, try doubleclick them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

muffler wrote: »
    Im probably the wrong person to attempt an answer but I would think the tmp files are backups or copies of your original spreadsheets.

Open your documents folder and search for the name of your file, assuming you give it a name / title or click on the start button at the bottom left of the screen in search from and insert the file name in the search box.

Hi Muff, I had already done the search but no joy. Pfft! They weren't there!
    bonzodog2 wrote: »
    make a copy of the .tmp files and rename to .xls, try doubleclick them.

I changed .tmp to .xlsx and it worked! Thank you bonzo, I owe you an ice cream for that! :) Any idea what made them disappear? Me, obviously, but what?

Can someone recommend a good 3 in 1 printer. It is for home use and must be reliable and good quality. Ink cartridges are expensive - would an inkjet printer be more economical to operate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

cnoc wrote: »
    Can someone recommend a good 3 in 1 printer. It is for home use and must be reliable and good quality. Ink cartridges are expensive - would an inkjet printer be more economical to operate.

How much use will it get? Does it need to be colour?

Inkjets are great in terms of quality but if you don't use them the cartridges dry up and they are mad money to replace. If you do use a lot, they run out and are mad to replace. It's nearly as the same cost to buy a new printer each time.

If you only print the odd time and can live with B&W, get a laser printer.

I have my Brother 3in1 printer this years and never had a bother with it. It takes 4 separate ink cartridges which I can get for buttons on ebay. It got heavy usage when the kids were in school and never missed a beat . It's only used occasionally now and is still flying along. I never had problems with cartridges drying out, it does run through a cleaning procedure occasionally. It does this automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

jca wrote: »
    I have my Brother 3in1 printer this years and never had a bother with it. It takes 4 separate ink cartridges which I can get for buttons on ebay. It got heavy usage when the kids were in school and never missed a beat . It's only used occasionally now and is still flying along. I never had problems with cartridges drying out, it does run through a cleaning procedure occasionally. It does this automatically.
    Same as that. I have an A3 sized Brother machine (4 in 1) and have been using it without fail for about 6 years now. Just ordered 2 sets of 4 cartridges off ebay yesterday which worked out at €10.01 delivered from the UK. The originals would be at least €80 for 8.

Which model have you got?

Steve wrote: »
    How much use will it get? Does it need to be colour?

Inkjets are great in terms of quality but if you don't use them the cartridges dry up and they are mad money to replace. If you do use a lot, they run out and are mad to replace. It's nearly as the same cost to buy a new printer each time.

If you only print the odd time and can live with B&W, get a laser printer.

Occasional use, would not print daily, perhaps weekly. B&W would suit me fine. What make and model would you suggest for a laser printer?

Which model have you got?

DCP-350C, I haven't a clue how old it is. This is what you'll pay for ink http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Any-20-non-OEM-LC970-Ink-for-DCP-130C-DCP-135C-DCP-150C-DCP-330C-DCP-350C-/231888904356?hash=item35fda7e0a4:g:2-YAAOSwJQdW9AEw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

Slow laptop is driving me *** today. Is it to do with recent updates? Seems like more ads also.... is this the reason pages seem to take ages to load? Windows 10 was installed in recent months. Is there anything to be done? Accessing same sites on smartphone and tablet do not seem to be so problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have Windows 10 and my laptop was flying, then a couple of days ago there was a load of downloads inflicted on me and opening seem to slow down significantly, though I think it has improved a bit since then.

I got that update too. Speed is ok but Edge seems to lag a bit at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

cobham wrote: »
    Slow laptop is driving me *** today. Is it to do with recent updates? Seems like more ads also.... is this the reason pages seem to take ages to load? Windows 10 was installed in recent months. Is there anything to be done? Accessing same sites on smartphone and tablet do not seem to be so problematic.

does the computer need a bit of a clean up?

id recommend these programs to do so:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/
    https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    does the computer need a bit of a clean up?

id recommend these programs to do so:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/
    https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

I think it's windows fcukin ten that needs a clean up, it's a dreadful os. It's very changed since I trialled it a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I think it's windows fcukin ten that needs a clean up, it's a dreadful os. It's very changed since I trialled it a few years ago.

im happy enough with it. was a bit sluggish when i first installed it but that was sorted fairly quickly with an update

I think it's windows ten that needs a clean up, it's a dreadful os. It's very changed since I trialled it a few years ago.

I have used Operating Systems of all sorts since Adam was a lad and I find Windows 10 the best of the lot overall. It suits my surface pro perfectly and has so many useful features.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I have used Operating Systems of all sorts since Adam was a lad and I find Windows 10 the best of the lot overall. It suits my surface pro perfectly and has so many useful features.

To each his own.

I have not used, on a daily basis, a Microsoft OS for more than 10 years.

It was the best decision I could have made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Anyone else have this problem with Windows10/Edge, every time I open a page in a new tab it freezes/not responding for 5-7 seconds. Every @#£;%& time.

• Advertisement

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Anyone else have this problem with Windows10/Edge, every time I open a page in a new tab it freezes/not responding for 5-7 seconds. Every @#£;%& time.

Why in the name of all that's holy are you using Edge when there's much better browsers available. Life is too short for bad browsers:mad:

Advertisement