Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Charts 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

bb1234567 wrote: »
    so those charts would bring sleet to lower levels and snow to hills woulnt it?

Yes on Fantasy Ireland...i mean Island :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    That's the most likely general outcome, yeah. I'm sure some low lying areas would get a covering, especially if the precipitation occurred at night.

thatd be good enough for me for now. i dont really care for snow til end of november, just want not mild weather until then. anything before end of november wont be the proper stuff itll just turn to slush during the day if it does happen,i'd like all the snow begin same time it happened last year:)

bb1234567 wrote: »
    thatd be good enough for me for now. i dont really care for snow til end of november, just want not mild weather until then. anything before end of november wont be the proper stuff itll just turn to slush during the day if it does happen,i'd like all the snow begin same time it happened last year:)

But you're in Cork.......:mad:

Easterly wont really deliver much for you unless we get that frontal battle which models promised so often last year and only delivered south of England instead.

I guess Cork would do best from a Northwesterly, ice days and snow lying to long doesn't really come from that direction though due to the maritime mix :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Easterly wont really deliver much for you unless we get that frontal battle which models promised so often last year and only delivered south of England instead.

I guess Cork would do best from a Northwesterly, ice days and snow lying to long doesn't really come from that direction though due to the maritime mix :(

well im from dublin and only moved to cork start of september because of my dads job. we still own our house in dublin so well be up most weekends and for xmas holidays so i'll get to spend plenty of time in snow capital:D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭TheMutations

Cork, the city area, does best from either easterlies or south-easterlies. Most north-westerlies tend to deliver wet snow which melts quickly. Last December was the first time I can remember that we got proper powdery snow from a northwest direction. Also too many mountains in the way, a situation which applies to all directions except for the east and the south-east. Might as well be living in Florida.:mad:

• Advertisement

Cork, the city area, does best from either easterlies or south-easterlies. Most north-westerlies tend to deliver wet snow which melts quickly. Last December was the first time I can remember that we got proper powdery snow from a northwest direction. Also too many mountains in the way, a situation which applies to all directions except for the east and the south-east. Might as well be living in Florida.:mad:

I hate it when an easterly turns to the south east :mad: even when it's a cold europe i feel it just picks up to much warm air in the celtic sea and with my location so near the coast it often turns to a sleety mix :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Still some potential there for a wintry mix to effect the NW next week.
    We just need more cold air closer to us .

177879.png

Something to keep an eye on for hilly snowfalls i thinks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

And the ECM

ECM0-144_tzm3.GIF

:)

" Tuesday 18th Oct. 0600 hrs "
    177915.gif

2 C for parts in the blue apparently :)

Its not a sign of snow i know, but i shall definitely sleep well with those temps! FINALLY! :)

Iancar29 wrote: »
    :)

" Tuesday 18th Oct. 0600 hrs "
    177915.gif

2 C for parts in the blue apparently :)

Its not a sign of snow i know, but i shall definitely sleep well with those temps! FINALLY! :)

The cold is great for sleep !

• Advertisement

t|nt|n wrote: »
    The cold is great for sleep !

Most Definitely!... I havent had a undisturbed sleep in yonks! ha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Most Definitely!... I havent had a undisturbed sleep in yonks! ha

Did you ever go ahead with that idea of yours to take a photo a day of weather from the same spot and create a slideshow montage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Models still having a lot of difficulty in getting this low pressure system due on Monday pinned down, big changes with every run. A nice ending to it on tonight's GFS

gfs-1-180_nux7.png

It'll more than likely be downgraded but looks like a plausible outcome so worth keeping an eye on :)

Just a question on model accuracy

See ECM:

ECM0-144_pwc6.GIF

And then GFS for same day

gfs-1-138_uew8.png

Which would be considered the most accurate ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Somewhere in between! Forecasters blend all of the models into one!

Somewhere in between! Forecasters blend all of the models into one!

This seems to be a slight upgrade on the hilly snow chances for the North NExt week...
    Its seems to be shifting more to the east on each run before its gets cold enough though...Thoughts anyone? :)

178008.png

178009.png

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

This seems to be a slight upgrade on the hilly snow chances for the North NExt week...
    Its seems to be shifting more to the east on each run before its gets cold enough though...Thoughts anyone? :)

178008.png

178009.png
    could you let me know the names of the websites you can get these forcasts on please?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's meteociel.fr

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

cheers for that

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    Did you ever go ahead with that idea of yours to take a photo a day of weather from the same spot and create a slideshow montage?

No unfortunately :(.... I really need to gets me a Go Pro Camera.

SOMEDAY ILL DO IT !:)

Pretty much the same on the latest run so ye im still gonna go for a first snowfall on the 19th in the northern hills :)

178110.png

178111.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Tomorrow's looking a bit warm in the Arctic :P

J24-7_nje7.GIF

Not FI but a bit of a fantasy chart none the less!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

First snow risk chart of the winter!

uksnowrisk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Quite a few ensembles showing strong storms for the 23rd, so if that's something you enjoy in winter

StormFI.png
    StormFI2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

^^^ That would bring some serious wind. A couple of models showing it. The ECMWF is being stubborn and perhaps more realistic with a much weaker low over us. Still FI can give us hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

The 06z continues to show some stormy weather, though not quite as bad as earlier

StormFI3.png
    StormFI3ii.png
    StormFI4.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

If only it happened a month later...

beasterly.png

beasterly2.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Given that it's FI it will get pushed out for at least a month . . .but then it'll vanish. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Can't believe someone hasn't put this scary halloween chart up.

BOO!!!

halloween.png

945 mb low just west of Ireland. No chance!

Advertisement