Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Charts 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

bb1234567 wrote: »
    how far out can fi charts go? and do they ever materialise ever?

16 days i think!

You know the answer to the second question already.

Read the forecast every day and watch the changes in the 4/5 day range.

Anything over 7 days rarely comes off but can show a trend which is what is is important. GFS runs 28 times per week so in F1 you can basically pluck out anything you want. Sometimes you will see people posting ensemble charts. There are 20 of these in every run which now brings us to 560 permutations :D and all of these show 16 day simulations :pac:
    So basically you'll find eye candy in this thread, it's just a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

hopefully we will start to see some decent trends in the charts in the next few weeks !!!! this rain is such a sickner , if only it was -1 or -10 or something it would be grand... we would have feet of snow !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

if only all our rain was snow we could all purchase snowmobiles :D I'd like a trendy purple one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I take it you guys would prefer this kind of set up in the actual winter rather than October.

ptooearly.png

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Nice to see these kinda charts appearing once more:D

FIIrelandAP.png
    FIIreland850.png
    FIIrelandPrec.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Best i could find this morning from the 0 z

gfs-1-240.png?0

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Look at the lonely 0 off the west coast :pac:

gens-0-0-216.png?0

gens-2-0-204.png?0

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭illumin

One of the daily rags had a frontpage headline of -20c in two weeks. How do they get away with such rubbish.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Best i could find this morning from the 0 z

gfs-1-240.png?0

Hang on. Check out this !

gfs-1-372.png?0

• Advertisement

looks depressing , nothing decent at all showing up...
    we need -8's country wide really to get proper snow.....

so i presume when it shows 0 over us that means approx +8 degrees , yes ??

Note to self, charts update automatically if you link to them !

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Note to self, charts update automatically if you link to them !

i was wondering !!! so that chart you posted above was much better ? an they update them selves , even on here ???

NIALL D wrote: »
    i was wondering !!! so that chart you posted above was much better ? an they update them selves , even on here ???

Seem to, its a link to the image so the link must stay the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Click the floppy disk icon to the top right of the image to get the link to the actual image so it doesn't keep refreshing with every new run
    NIALL D wrote: »
    looks depressing , nothing decent at all showing up...
    we need -8's country wide really to get proper snow.....

so i presume when it shows 0 over us that means approx +8 degrees , yes ??

No point getting your hopes up for another 5 or 6 weeks really, there might be a chance of snow falling between now and then but for proper snowfall at lower levels mid November is probably the earliest we could hope for.

Harps wrote: »
    Click the floppy disk icon to the top right of the image to get the link to the actual image so it doesn't keep refreshing with every new run

I can feel it in my waters that FI fun is gonna kick in soon ! :pac:

ECM0-216.GIF?10-12

177480.png

Could bring some of the white stuff to the hills of le NW ...:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

t|nt|n wrote: »

I can feel it in my waters that FI fun is gonna kick in soon ! :pac:

From watching the charts the last few weeks I think your are rite , wont be to long till the eagle has landed, the FI Eagle that is !

After that who knows ! After a summer of weather flirtation I hope what trends we see follow through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The first decent chart I've seen on the main GFS run so far this year, a northerly plunge some time next week which would probably give snow to higher ground in the north!

gfs-0-240_kta1.png

gfs-2-228_udm9.png

From watching the charts the last few weeks I think your are rite , wont be to long till the eagle has landed, the FI Eagle that is !

After that who knows ! After a summer of weather flirtation I hope what trends we see follow through!

The Toughers snowball fight is DEFO on this year ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭arctictree

Some nice easterlies now showing up on GFS FI. A bit early in the year though.

Rtavn2521.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

I'm liking GFS's idea of blocking in FI, ECM also @ 240 hrs .... lets hope the trend continues but as the previous poster said, it's early in the season... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I don't care if its a 'wasted' easterly, ie. too early to deliver any white stuff, I just want to know its going to be cold and stay cold. I have had it with this mild grey muck. The temps are borderline for another layer of clothes and have been for weeks or months. Bit of a breeze and ye wish ye wore a jacket, bit of a gap in the clouds and the sun comes out and your sweating buckets in the same jacket. Either give me T-Shirt weather or give me jacket weather but having both from one 5 minute period to the next is a headwreck. I can't wait for a chilly easterly and wrapping up well for a walk on the seafront with the dogs and not having to take off a layer of clothes just because I moved 20 yards from the sand on the beach to the grass behind the promenade.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

I feel your pain Calibos, I'm dropping leaflets for the presidential election and some nights you go out thinking you won't need the coat on, and it's freezing cold with the wind. Next night it's still windy so you get the coat, go out and your soaked in sweat - a bit of consistency in weather would be great!

(and don't talk to me about wind damage to posters!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Calibos wrote: »
    I don't care if its a 'wasted' easterly, ie. too early to deliver any white stuff, I just want to know its going to be cold and stay cold. I have had it with this mild grey muck. The temps are borderline for another layer of clothes and have been for weeks or months. Bit of a breeze and ye wish ye wore a jacket, bit of a gap in the clouds and the sun comes out and your sweating buckets in the same jacket. Either give me T-Shirt weather or give me jacket weather but having both from one 5 minute period to the next is a headwreck. I can't wait for a chilly easterly and wrapping up well for a walk on the seafront with the dogs and not having to take off a layer of clothes just because I moved 20 yards from the sand on the beach to the grass behind the promenade.

I feel for you as I am in the same boat. I can't sleep when it is warm 12c or lower is good for me. Winter I sleep like a log and in summer I wake up 2 or 3 times a night or don't sleep at all.

At least it is coming to an end. I hate this period of warm one day cold another and cooler temperatures will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I feel your pain Calibos, I'm dropping leaflets for the presidential election and some nights you go out thinking you won't need the coat on, and it's freezing cold with the wind. Next night it's still windy so you get the coat, go out and your soaked in sweat - a bit of consistency in weather would be great!

(and don't talk to me about wind damage to posters!)

Yes the wind loves to pick up when the posters go up. Davis posters don't seen to like to say hanging and I happily drive over a mcguinness poster everyday.

Nothing really "Snowsational" on the cards today but its definitely gonna get cooler by the weekend! :)

A few charts of interest in the outer reaches of FI

iFIAP.png

iFI8501.png

iFI8502.png

iFIPrec.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

so those charts would bring sleet to lower levels and snow to hills woulnt it?

• Advertisement

bb1234567 wrote: »
    so those charts would bring sleet to lower levels and snow to hills woulnt it?

That's the most likely general outcome, yeah. I'm sure some low lying areas would get a covering, especially if the precipitation occurred at night.

Advertisement