Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Charts 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Pure fantasy though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

for those people on here who need a bit of cheering upgfs-1-372.png?18;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Diamond Dust

for those people on here who need a bit of cheering up;)

Cant read it but it looks nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Cant read it but it looks nice :D
    and chances are it will be gone on next run :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Diamond Dust

delw wrote: »

Still its something though.... Stay positive :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

Don't be fooled by the current mild weather - the temps will fall off a cliff in December & January. I feel it in my bones! It's still only November...the correct synoptics will be working themselves out...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

delw wrote: »

And then it'll be back... and then gone... Sure today the models are showing quite mild weather for the 29th of Nov. 850hpa temps at 4-0degrees (nowhere close enough for snowfall) and North Atlantic temp there would be 6-10 degrees. Lots of rainfall but quite mild overall with humidity at 80-90%. It's still Soooooo early!! Remember the posts this time last year? Remember the weather this time in 2009? All the same. Mild November in 2009 and similar posting this time last year. We do not KNOW!! That's the beauty though isn't it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

nice chart lets hope it stays the same on the next run. its only a week away.gfs-1-192.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Nothing great about thoese charts lads, One is very mild the other is average

Best from the ensembles

181222.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Best from the ensembles

181222.png

Is the an easterly!?.... I hear A TRAIN !!!!! :D:D:D:D :rolleyes: :pac:

some -8's please ! come onnnnnnnnnnn ya betsy ya! haha :)

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Is the an easterly!?.... I hear A TRAIN !!!!! :D:D:D:D :rolleyes: :pac:

some -8's please ! come onnnnnnnnnnn ya betsy ya! haha :)

hahaha !

hahaha !

Beautiful!!!! what it does show is a dominance of arctic... oh go...oh god...oh...*spurt*... lovin it

Would this setup give snow on hills ?

181234.png

181235.png

Would this setup give snow on hills ?

181234.png

181235.png

With 850hpa temp between -4 to -8degrees is perfect for snowfall everywhere!! Lovely charts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

today seems to be looking a bit better for cold winter, was really looking bad yesterday very depressing:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

The above charts are not being read properly.That would give mostly high ground sleet/snow with any precip.Far too long warm Atlantic sea track.Bring on the beast from the east i say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Not really, the above is just polar maritime air which typically gives us cool, wet and windy weather. It'd be more of a typical winters day, maybe a bit of snow on the mountains around here but nothing to get excited about

GFS FI seems to have gone back to its usual pattern of having massive lows that spread from Canada to Russia, wouldn't pay much attention to it

Edit: Redsunset beat me to it!

redsunset wrote: »
    The above charts are not being read properly.That would give mostly high ground sleet/snow with any precip.Far too long warm Atlantic sea track.Bring on the beast from the east i say.

Oh god yeah, its just nice to see the blue :D

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

redsunset wrote: »

But it gives us a glimmer of hope that its the start of the change :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

A nice one from the 06z GFS
    181312.png

181313.png

trogdor wrote: »
    A nice one from the 06z GFS
    181312.png

181313.png

Oh Sweetness!!!!...*sigh*

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

That's a beauty there Trogdor! Nice cold NE wind/air over a warm Irish Sea. :) I almost wet my fantasy pants. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Oh my, that's a nice one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

So nice I even checked the date, I thought that chart could have been 30 Nov 2010 and not 2011 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

GFS 12Z RUN F1 towards the end of the month

gfs-1-360.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Amazing how poor the operational runs have been for cold weather in F1.
    A 48 hour northerly at T348 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭blast06

For the uninitiated, are there as many FI charts from the various sources that predict ridiculously above average temps etc as there are those that predict cold? If not then the modelling that goes on is complete rubbish ... actually, its pretty rubbish either way.

What is 'rubbish' ? From where I work in IT, if a predictive software maturity model does not iteratively refine itself based on historical empirical data then it's rubbish and I would be as well to get a few toddlers, give them a few crayons and get them to draw a few lines.
    To me - the uninitiated, the charts here look they were created by toddlers ?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yep, most charts so far this month have been showing mild weather, pretty much every one thats showed anything remotely cold have been posted here but there's plenty more that haven't. Here's one from the same run as Musicman posted

gfs-0-240_jmv7.png

gfs-1-240_dhr7.png

Predicting weather is a lot more difficult that most things, its a totally chaotic process so one extremely minor detail in a couple of days time that the models dont get perfect can lead to a totally different outcome in 2 weeks time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Some interesting charts still out in FI on the GFS...

anewone.png

anewone1.png

Advertisement