Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

house45 wrote: »
    Have to say I found it difficult for the first week or two but honestly have to say Its the most satisfiing thing I have ever done the one thing that I can't get my head round is how much energy I have now I'm bouncing round the place a real skip in my step but please stick with it as it's worth the hard work .

I found this in the beginning too. It's amazing how cutting out junk and increasing fruit and veg intake can boost energy! I am almost at a stone off (and I've had two holidays since I started where I wasn't well behaved) so I need to focus on where I have come from as well as where I am going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

OldNotWIse wrote:
    I'm starting to feel perplexed at how slow this is going, even though when my mam did SW and would text me she was "only" down a pound or a half I would remind her that its a process and it's going the right way. I need to take my own advice! But when I compare who I am now to who I was before, I don't know why it is slow. I am walking with the dog every evening (at least 40mins uphill) plus have completely cut out junk food and am mindful at every meal. I suppose, it didn't go on overnight....

Don't be disheartened, as you say it didn't go on overnight so losing small amounts steadily is sensible and sustainable.
    You're probably doing it anyway but drinking lots of water helps both with weight loss and with bloating.
    Google which fruit and veg contribute to bloating and which ones help combat it - in my experience berries and melon help a lot but brocolli bloats me terribly!
    Are you using your syns? I always lost more when I used at least 5 a day than when I cut them out entirely.

dee_mc wrote: »
    Don't be disheartened, as you say it didn't go on overnight so losing small amounts steadily is sensible and sustainable.
    You're probably doing it anyway but drinking lots of water helps both with weight loss and with bloating.
    Google which fruit and veg contribute to bloating and which ones help combat it - in my experience berries and melon help a lot but brocolli bloats me terribly!
    Are you using your syns? I always lost more when I used at least 5 a day than when I cut them out entirely.

TBH I am committing the cardinal "syn" of saving them up and using them at the weekend :pac:

OldNotWIse wrote:
    TBH I am committing the cardinal "syn" of saving them up and using them at the weekend

That explains it so. For me anyway, the reason SW works is because it's so consistent - regular small 'treats' (I hate that term!) seem to work better than 5 days of iron rations followed by 2 days of relatively free and easy when it comes to weight loss.
    Having said that, when it comes to keeping it off, 5 or 6 days perfectly on plan and 1 or 2 days taking things a bit easier worked for me.

That explains it so. For me anyway, the reason SW works is because it's so consistent - regular small 'treats' (I hate that term!) seem to work better than 5 days of iron rations followed by 2 days of relatively free and easy when it comes to weight loss.
    Having said that, when it comes to keeping it off, 5 or 6 days perfectly on plan and 1 or 2 days taking things a bit easier worked for me.

Yeah my mam had mentioned that to me alright. I wouldn't go completely mad at the weekend. Certainly pizzas, chips, takeaway, crisps etc no longer feature. I more or less make everything from scratch. I probably spend most of my syns on alcohol and there would usually be a sneaky toasted cheese sambo or something when the drink kicks in and willpower disappears! I try to keep to it during the day at the weekends - huevos rancheros for breakfast and veggie stew with brown rice for lunch.

• Advertisement

It sounds like you're losing anyway but maybe if you want to speed things up you could do the odd week entirely on plan (5 to 15 syns, one third speed etc etc) to boost your loss?

It sounds like you're losing anyway but maybe if you want to speed things up you could do the odd week entirely on plan (5 to 15 syns, one third speed etc etc) to boost your loss?

Thanks I will try this, though as a veggie I tend to get a lot of these anyway as the bulk of my stews are made with lentils, beans, pulses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

This has given me such a boost! I started out at the same weight this week and I could only dream about loosing that amount!!! Well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lilythepinked

Loving slimming world! :) I stopped the fags a couple of years ago, was afraid of putting on more weight. I was already overweight even when I was smoking.  But Slimming World has helped me lose a couple of stone and keep it off. Feel great off the fags and now losing the weight.  Another stone to go! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

Looking for a no/low syn stir fry sauce. Either super market or home made is fine. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

dcfc91 wrote: »
    Looking for a no/low syn stir fry sauce. Either super market or home made is fine. Any suggestions?

Any mix of Soy sauce/ Oyster sauce, ginger, garlic and/or chilli should all be free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

dcfc91 wrote: »

If you look up the chicken chow mein recipe on the SW page the spices they use make a really nice sauce. It's probably similar to what sarahmollie has mentioned actually!

So had my first gain on Monday having joined back in Janurary. Just 1.5lbs so nothing too drastic, but I'm aware that this is how the weight can start to creep back on!

Its a bit of a kick in the teeth but not undeserved - I'm about 2 weeks back from holidays and have really not had my head in the game. I've also started a new job and thats meant that my previous exercise regime has gone out the window as my previous training was linked to my old job.

I've also changed classes because I never really liked the one I was going to, and with my schedule a bit different now with the new job, I was able to try a new one which seems much better - in short, the consultant isnt such a headmelt.

I've also found a new place to continue a similar HIIT training and due to start there tonight. I find that when I'm in a good routine with exercise, its easier to focus the mind on making the right food choices. I brought my breakfast and lunch to work yesterday, and breakfast again today. I should be able to chose a good lunch from the canteen and theres plenty of free fruit in the office also for snacks.

Hopefully I've now ironed out all the things that were getting in my way and should see a loss next week.

I was bad in the last week when it came to fruit and veg intake. the few weeks I was losing I was having a few pieces of fruit at work as a minimum. Interestingly, a week of reduced fruit intake has left me bloated. Presumably this is a lack of fiber as opposed to weight gain? I haven't been eating extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Down 2.5lbs again this week, total loss in 4 weeks 10lbs I'm thrilled, onwards and downwards ��

Keep up the good work. Well done! :)

If I stand a certain way, I can begin to see the vague outline of where my clavicle is :) Sounds ridiculous but I haven't seen it for an eternity!

Valyawl wrote: »
    Down 2.5lbs again this week, total loss in 4 weeks 10lbs I'm thrilled, onwards and downwards ��

That's amazing :)

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    If I stand a certain way, I can begin to see the vague outline of where my clavicle is :) Sounds ridiculous but I haven't seen it for an eternity!

Ha, me too! Such a novelty :)

I'm up 2lbs this morning. I am beyond disgusted.

• Advertisement

Don't let it get you down.

Go back over your week - can you understand where the gain came from?

I was up this week (not undeserved) and part of me just wanted to commiserate with a pizza but I've actually had a good week (not 100% perfect) but pretty good. I'm going out for dinner on Saturday night but I've chosen a restaurant with healthy options and I'm going to allow myself a little bit of wine. I've done 2 workouts this week and will have another one Saturday morning.

So, I'm cautiously optimistic that the scales will be kind to me come Monday :)

Make sure you try turn it into a positive!

Don't let it get you down.

Go back over your week - can you understand where the gain came from?

I was up this week (not undeserved) and part of me just wanted to commiserate with a pizza but I've actually had a good week (not 100% perfect) but pretty good. I'm going out for dinner on Saturday night but I've chosen a restaurant with healthy options and I'm going to allow myself a little bit of wine. I've done 2 workouts this week and will have another one Saturday morning.

So, I'm cautiously optimistic that the scales will be kind to me come Monday :)

Make sure you try turn it into a positive!

I'm really getting fed up now. Last week I was good and I stayed the same, but I said, well at least I haven't gained! This week I am up!

Foodwise, I have been very good, and I have been doing 40 minutes of moderate exercise every day and drinking lots of water. However (drum roll) I haven't been good about syning my drink so it has to be this! :(

My mum is constantly at me about drink because there is a part of me that refuses to believe it is calorific!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

Had my 1st weigh in on Monday. I was down 5lbs and I was delighted! Started off the week then with a trip to Dublin and a Take That concert! So I didn't go off the rails completely. Didn't drink at the concert and walked to the 3 Arena and back again. I've been keeping my food diary for the rest of the week and getting a walk in every day no matter how short. I'm hoping that the Tuesday didn't stop the weight loss for the week. I do need to get more fruit in, so i have strawberries and mango in with my lunch today!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

I'm really getting fed up now. Last week I was good and I stayed the same, but I said, well at least I haven't gained! This week I am up!

Foodwise, I have been very good, and I have been doing 40 minutes of moderate exercise every day and drinking lots of water. However (drum roll) I haven't been good about syning my drink so it has to be this! :(

My mum is constantly at me about drink because there is a part of me that refuses to believe it is calorific!

What was it you drank during the week that you think put you over?

mathie wrote: »
    What was it you drank during the week that you think put you over?

Three bottles of Shiraz :P

Three bottles of Shiraz :P

That would do it! I'm trying to limit myself to half a bottle of wine on a Saturday night. Other that that, I know I'd be sabotaging myself.

That would do it! I'm trying to limit myself to half a bottle of wine on a Saturday night. Other that that, I know I'd be sabotaging myself.

Good idea! I'm terrible for drink to be honest and of course with drink comes an increased appetite and lowered resolve!

Some weeks are like that. Don't be too disappointed. Keep going. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Good idea! I'm terrible for drink to be honest and of course with drink comes an increased appetite and lowered resolve!

Drink is a killer for me on the scales. If I budget my syns for it and prepare myself (lots of healthy easy to make/premade food in the fridge for the morning after) then I'm fine...but if I haven't planned it, I'll ALWAYS see a gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Has slimming world not worked for anyone?
    And if it hasn't, what has/does?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement