Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Vahevala wrote: »
    Weighed in tonight and I lost 1lb and I finally got my 6 stone award with SW!!! I am now 2 lbs under target weight, I feel so chuffed!

It is weird for me sitting in on class with everyone else so focused on losing and I am thinking I don't have to lose, it is a strange feeling and actually one that I think will take me quite a while to get used to! :)

Wow well done. Very well deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

Brilliant news Vahela, all your hard work has paid off. I love reading your updates as you're such an inspiration.

I was down 4lbs tonight, I was up 6lbs last week, I had gained my birth weight. Our leader has organised a Christmas party night out for members of her 8 classes for Saturday night. It will be a challenge but I'm looking forward to it. I only decided to go last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Thanks everyone for the nice messages about my 0.5 gain last week. I stayed to group but was just given the same advice that I've been listening to, mostly being told to up speed. Believe me I cannot up my speed anymore I'm one salad away from turning into a cucumber!

So I left group and I went and bought a scales, something I haven't owned since I was a teenager. The next morning, last Friday, I hopped on, took note of my weight and then did the same this morning. And apparently I'm down 2lbs!

Now over the past week I didn't do anything majorly different just kept to the usual slimming world plan, probably had less speed, just out being busy and not having time to shop. I was probably bloated last week and that's where the gain came out of. I am happy though the scales I bought doesn't measure half lbs I think I would get a bit obsessed then.

Now I dont expect them to be the most amazing scales for accuracy but today they showed a 2lb loss so thats what Im saying I have.
    I talked to my doctor and he said for accuracy in calculating weight loss the best thing is to weigh yourself first thing in the morning every day and take the average of the week. Which I don't think Ill be doing. I don't want to become obsessed with my weight, its just a number it doesn't mean much Id just like to see it getting lower so I dont think I'd gain anything other than anxiety to be weighing myself every morning.

I am going to largely stick to the slimming world plan with a few changes , just incorporating some more healthy fats into my diet. My skin and hair has really started to dry up over the last couple of months and I think some good fats with help with this. But I am going to use a lot of slimming world recipes still and I can't give up my quark!

I was kind of planning to go back to slimming world in the new year when my schedule changes around a bit so I can go to a morning group instead, at the moment Thursday is my busiest day and by the time I get to weigh in at half 7 I can have had a huge dinner and not a drop of water or I've had a nothing to eat all day so a morning group would be better.

However I just had a call from my consultant asking why I didn't come to group and I explained that I felt a break would do me good as I spent 6 weeks at the same weight, and she basically told me I'd be coming to her crying in the new year with a 1stone gain because I wouldn't be able to control myself over Christmas! Now obviously Christmas is a tough time food wise but I'm a grown woman! I can control myself enough to not gain a stone! Ill be enjoying three of days of eating what I want and the rest of the time Ill be eating normally, but she says that won't happen
    But I will be sure to let you all know what my weight is this time next month! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

ameliams wrote:
    However I just had a call from my consultant asking why I didn't come to group and I explained that I felt a break would do me good as I spent 6 weeks at the same weight, and she basically told me I'd be coming to her crying in the new year with a 1stone gain because I wouldn't be able to control myself over Christmas!

I would be annoyed if my consultant said that to me! Are they not supposed to support you in whatever decision you make not make you feel an inch tall. Good luck with everything, and maybe do go back to her in the new year when you're sure you have a couple pound off just to sicken her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

ameliams wrote: »
    However I just had a call from my consultant asking why I didn't come to group and I explained that I felt a break would do me good as I spent 6 weeks at the same weight, and she basically told me I'd be coming to her crying in the new year with a 1stone gain because I wouldn't be able to control myself over Christmas! Now obviously Christmas is a tough time food wise but I'm a grown woman! I can control myself enough to not gain a stone! Ill be enjoying three of days of eating what I want and the rest of the time Ill be eating normally, but she says that won't happen
    But I will be sure to let you all know what my weight is this time next month! :pac:

If ever there was motivation to lose over Christmas, this is it :pac: What a b****!

I'm considering calling it a day too. I'm barely following the plan anymore, I don't agree with the way they demonise fat while encouraging people to eat sh!te like mugshots and Muller lights :confused: But then, I feel like I've managed to maintain my loss so far because I've been going to group. I'll probably keep going til the new year and then see where I'm at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

They don't encourage people to eat mugshots in fairness. The whole idea is freshly prepared food. But sometimes people want/need quick fixes so mugshots are a better alternative than most. No harm in pointing this out.

I wouldn't eat one if my life depended on it.

There's no need to pay slimming world any money if don't feel like you're getting anything from it. if you eat 3 healthy meals a day you'll end up at the perfect weight for you.

Personally I need the structure/kick in the hole

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Personally I've found they can be a little bit more guided by the book than by common sense. A few weeks ago a girl in my group was practically given out to for saying that her 5 pound weight loss in one week was down to cutting out diet coke. The consultant was very focussed on the fact that diet coke was fine so she should be drinking it. The poor girl was trying to explain that since she stopped drinking it she felt way better and didn't want it any more, she was also saying that she found she was having less sugar cravings since stopping and had therefore found it easier to stay on plan. The consultant was practically giving out to her saying that it is free and therefore she should be drinking it.

I've since moved groups!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

My consultant is great for situations like these - she just says 'ok so change it up, cut the diet coke for a week, see what happens, there's no reason for it to put weight on you but there's no harm in seeing how your body responds to it'.
    I couldn't sit through image therapy with a SW zealot to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Agreed, my new consultant is like that and its much better! I don't dread going to group any more!

A good consultant is key. If people are comfortable somewhere, it's a huge help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I gave up SW for the same reasons- saying crap like mugshots( I have a personal vendetta against mugshots, like some when did anything in a mugshot ever resemble food?)) muller lights, and pink n whites were ok to eat.

Got tired of its ok to be bold, ie eat a Big Mac in one day(once it's all you eat). Don't agree with food being labelled good or bold.

To be fair, SW serves it's purpose and is a great starting vehicle and I know a lot of people who've lost weight on it including me but what happened to me and looks like a few more here, that ive simply outgrown it. It can be a bit like we are all bold children sometimes.

I will be sure to go back to group with a half stone loss if only to prove a point.

I understand she wants me to stay going shes losing out on a customer but a very odd way of trying to encourage me. Im not losing any weight going to group and she hasn't done much to try and help in that regards. I know obviously my weight is my responsibility but any time I tell her I'm not happy with a maintain or a gain her response is very much "Well you're already slim so what else can you expect".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Sorry to hear some people had some issues with SW. I am guilty of eating mugshots as they are a handy option to have for lunch with some fruit when you are struggling to find something to have. Just because they are not your thing doesn't mean that you should berate those that like them :)

I have never felt that SW push certain things, in the end of the day it is up to you if you want to eat certain things. I find the plan easy, don't need to weigh much and I enjoy the food that I eat so SW works so well for me. Each to their own.

A good consultant and group is key, I have been so happy since I switched groups and even though I know I don't need to attend each week, I want to go! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I find they do push certain things - muller lights specially! Or another thing that irked me in the last few weeks is people posting syns for cough drops, syrup etc - FFS if you're sick take what medicine you need and don't worry about the bloody syns?! :confused:

tk123 wrote: »
    I find they do push certain things - muller lights specially! Or another thing that irked me in the last few weeks is people posting syns for cough drops, syrup etc - FFS if you're sick take what medicine you need and don't worry about the bloody syns?! :confused:

lol I have admitted that I don't want to waste syns on strepsils so will use the throat spray instead :o:o:D

tk123 wrote: »

Ours was very pushy as well and she used to get annoyed if anyone challenged her or questioned that this stuff can't be good for you. Lol! Better eating flavoured cardboard!

I would still recommend SW as opposed to motivation Weight Etc. It's really good for people who need the group focus.

anewme wrote: »
    Ours was very pushy as well and she used to get annoyed if anyone challenged her or questioned that this stuff can't be good for you. Lol! Better eating flavoured cardboard!

I would still recommend SW as opposed to motivation Weight Etc. It's really good for people who need the group focus.

Ours is very much what works for you as an individual is best eg some people can bank syns, some can't etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

A girl in my group was eating 2 packs of Strepsils a day for a couple of weeks when she had a tickly throat, couldn't understand why she wasn't losing weight... I think the info sheets are possibly geared towards people who do things in extremes, just a reality check.
    I ate the Mullerlights in the beginning, not because they were 'pushed' by the consultant but because others in the group were reliant on them for something sweet and low syn/free so I have them a whirl. In fairness there does seem to be a sort of sponsorship link between SW and Mullerlight but again, it's up to the individual what they do or don't eat!

I think things like mug shots and muller lights are perfect for when you're stuck for time grand to just grab something for a quick meal.

And obviously they are classed as syn free (well not all but most are) so that with a piece of fruit would be a slimming world approved meal. I know my consultant recommends a mugshot and chicken breast for lunch for those stuck for lunch ideas.
    however an avocado and eggs would technically be a much healthier option but on slimming world an avocado is 9.5 syns I think? So few people would opt to go use so many syns when they could have the mug shot for free.

I understand the diet coke thing as well, I visited a different group for weigh in once and stayed for group and a woman said she felt like after several weeks of maintaining she'd finally cracked it and managed to have lose two weeks in a row. And she said it was because she stopped adding in extra things where she didn't need them. Like she stopped adding quark to everything, pasta dishes and dinners etc. She just felt that she'd been doing it unnecessarily to meals that didnt need it. But the consultant was adamant that because quark was free she could eat as much of it as she wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Vahevala wrote: »
    Sorry to hear some people had some issues with SW. I am guilty of eating mugshots as they are a handy option to have for lunch with some fruit when you are struggling to find something to have. Just because they are not your thing doesn't mean that you should berate those that like them :)

I have never felt that SW push certain things, in the end of the day it is up to you if you want to eat certain things. I find the plan easy, don't need to weigh much and I enjoy the food that I eat so SW works so well for me. Each to their own.

Just to be clear, I have not berated anyone. Each to their own is the entire point of my post. I'm just not sure it's working for me anymore, it was good to get me started but my body seems to require a lower sugar/ higher fat diet than SW is geared towards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Lost another 3.5lbs this week. Now down 9lbs. ;)

You would think at this stage of slimming world I would know better than to eat something before I check syn value but nooo not me.... So was down in tesco earlier and they had a few people giving out samples, one was for lindor, the other was for liberte 0% fat vanilla yogurt. I avoided the lindor only to taste the yogurt and it was amazing so I bought a tub, came home and ate half, just looked up the syns and its 7.5 for the tub!!!! True it is really good and if yogurt wasn't one of those things I can stop eating after a spoonful it would be well worth it.
    Anyway this is just a friendly reminder to check syns before you eat things even if you think sure it can't be that bad

Dolbert wrote: »
    Just to be clear, I have not berated anyone. Each to their own is the entire point of my post. I'm just not sure it's working for me anymore, it was good to get me started but my body seems to require a lower sugar/ higher fat diet than SW is geared towards.

I know, I wasn't having a dig at you :) Each to their own is exactly right, what works for one doesn't work for another.

In other news, I have been thinking since I have got to target, it has felt like my consultant doesn't really care, maybe it is because she doesn't make any money from me (I don't buy bars/magazines/books/raffle tickets), last week I got the shortest amount of time at image therapy.

I know that I don't have to weigh in weekly anymore, I may keep going weekly & just weigh and go or weigh in every 2 weeks, time will tell, I will have a think about it.

Vahevala wrote:
    In other news, I have been thinking since I have got to target, it has felt like my consultant doesn't really care, maybe it is because she doesn't make any money from me (I don't buy bars/magazines/books/raffle tickets), last week I got the shortest amount of time at image therapy.

I don't think she doesn't care, at least I hope that's not the case, I'd say she just thinks you're more confident in your slimming and might not need as much help as some others. I do find image therapy great and any target members in my group have said they've stayed at target because of it. Maybe stay again this week and say that you do need that extra bit to help you stay where you are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Dodge wrote: »
    They don't encourage people to eat mugshots in fairness.

This depends entirely on your consultant to be fair.

Mine very much did encourage muller lights and mugshots. I ate lots of speed and protein, used my syns for fats and would use say Brown rice instead of white, or have a day where I didn't bother with potatoes/pasta and the like. I have PCOS so i SHOULD be avoiding white carbs anyway.

She frequently wrote in my food diary that I should be eating more free foods and told me to eat more pasta and fill up on muller lights or mugshots as snacks between meals, despite the fact I was losing consistently and getting plenty of food in with three meals a day.

Sw is great and works amazingly well and I don't care if someone wants to eat five mugshots a day. They're quick, handy and low in calories. But I've had more than one consultant push them on me.

The one who told me to snack on them and muller lights also told me I should be using my syns on treats like chocolate or crisps instead of milk, butter and nuts, though, to make it easier for me. So I just take what she says with a pinch of salt.

Joining a new class in the new year and will hopefully have a better consultant. :)

Yeah, sounds like that one isn't great.

I don't think she doesn't care, at least I hope that's not the case, I'd say she just thinks you're more confident in your slimming and might not need as much help as some others. I do find image therapy great and any target members in my group have said they've stayed at target because of it. Maybe stay again this week and say that you do need that extra bit to help you stay where you are

I know, I just thought she may ask me how I felt the first week at target, maintaining is tricky and I got caught in the case where i don't know if I should be having the second healthy B or not, so I am trying to have it this week and see what I weigh in as...

Oh gosh, Penny, that consultant doesn't sound great, I know the syns are there for whatever we choose, I have such a sweet tooth that using it on sweet things is essential, otherwise I wouldn't last on SW... that's the bonus of it, we can spend the syns on what we like.

This depends entirely on your consultant to be fair.

Mine very much did encourage muller lights and mugshots.

Sw is great and works amazingly well and I don't care if someone wants to eat five mugshots a day. They're quick, handy and low in calories. But I've had more than one consultant push them on me.

:)

This was my experience too. I think she got fed up with me because I questioned the nutritional value of muller lights and mugshots. It was all about bucking the system......don't eat if you want to have 10 vodkas and diet coke etc etc. So I got fed up with it.

I will say in fairness that SW Consultant got great results, it was very much know your audience... people would prefer the convenience of a mug shot rather than make a home made soup and this got on my nerves after a while.

I also got to the stage where the phrasing got on my nerves, I hated the word body magic!

Friend of mine has lost 4.5 stone on SW - she found it easy to focus to get to goal, but is finding the maintenance much tougher.

Yoooo 2lbs off so got my 1.5 stone award and target!! :D... .Hopefully it's not just a temporary loss because I'm dying the last week and can't eat anything lol! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I have a quick q here for some of the members who have been at SW longer. Was looking at the menu recipes online as I want to start phasing in the sw dinners with the kids lol and with the ingredients does it matter the brand ? What comes to mind is mustard powder should I be looking for a certain brand ? Also when it says syn per meal is that per portion or the whole meal ie sw shepards pie ? Thanks guys !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement