Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

andreac wrote: »
    Are you making yourself drink 6 litres a day TK or are you genuinely thirsty?? Seems a lot to drink in a day.

If it was in front of me I'd drink it no problems lol!! :o I had it checked out and tests were fine etc but GP told me not to drink any more than 6 - I've cut back to 3 or 4. I don't drink tea and would have one mocha in work if I was cold/tired and then a frappe in Starbucks at lunchtime so water is my main drink. I think it's just a habit I got into when I had thyroid disease?

Talking about it is making me thirsty! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

tk123 wrote: »
    If it was in front of me I'd drink it no problems lol!! :o I had it checked out and tests were fine etc but GP told me not to drink any more than 6 - I've cut back to 3 or 4. I don't drink tea and would have one mocha in work if I was cold/tired and then a frappe in Starbucks at lunchtime so water is my main drink. I think it's just a habit I got into when I had thyroid disease?

Talking about it is making me thirsty! :P

God im the opposite. Im never thirsty and have to make myself drink water. I do have 3 or 4 cups of tea a day, but i have my bottle of water beside me now too and try and drink one before lunch and one after and if i go to the gym then or a class i bring it with me and try and drink that too. But im rarely thirsty.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

Vahevala - One week I cut out milk and switched to Alpro Almond milk as I had heard that excess milk can make it harder to lose weight. I lost 5lb that week and I done no excercise whatsoever. It was all from milk. Now it's not sustainable long term as a litre of Almond milk is €2.70ish do its pricey enough and it's an acquired taste for some but it does work. Even now when I use more almond milk my losses do be bigger. It's not great in tea as the flavours clash but it's lovely in coffee. It's ok on cereal too. You can also have the full litre a day if you want as a Healthy B. If you are using the sweetened one then it's half a litre a day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I don't really get thirsty anymore either, but every now and then I'll notice my mouth is dry and realise I haven't drank any water that day :D I've started drinking one big coffee a day though and always have at least half a pint of water with my dinner every day and the sheer volume of fruit and veg I eat should mean I'm ok... big change for me though, I used to happily drink 2 litres of water a day, just don't have the taste for it now! It's a conscious effort these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I'm the same, I've to force myself to drink water, but funnily enough have no issues drinking diet 7-up/coke Zero etc! I've cut them down this week to see if it makes a difference and I still find it hard to drink water!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Vahevala - One week I cut out milk and switched to Alpro Almond milk as I had heard that excess milk can make it harder to lose weight. I lost 5lb that week and I done no excercise whatsoever. It was all from milk. Now it's not sustainable long term as a litre of Almond milk is €2.70ish do its pricey enough and it's an acquired taste for some but it does work. Even now when I use more almond milk my losses do be bigger. It's not great in tea as the flavours clash but it's lovely in coffee. It's ok on cereal too. You can also have the full litre a day if you want as a Healthy B. If you are using the sweetened one then it's half a litre a day

I am only having the 250 ml of milk in one go a day in my cereal, I don't drink milk in tea as I drink peppermint tea. I used to have the unsweetened one when I was calorie counting making the porridge.

Drinking fluids is a real challenge for me, never really been one to drink much at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Vahevala wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I think it isn't just the BMI getting to me, it is the thought that I am following the plan to the letter and I am gaining weight, that is the main problem that I have at the moment.

It's probably not anything you're doing wrong tbh. An average day on plan for me, with 10-15 syns is about 1500 calories and I'd wager most people's SW days are similar. This is sufficient for most people to lose weight, up to a point. You're a size 10-12 now so are probably at a stage now where you just have to take in less if you want to get the rest of the weight off. I personally hate calorie counting and will probably just call target early rather than be bothered with this but just putting it out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

I would drink between 4-6 litres a day too, just always drank loads of water, been checked out and I'm grand just love the stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Just made sw chips for the first time tonight! Weren't too bad at all and kids seemed to like them! :) happy days ! I still don't know how I can be eating so much and expect to lose weight but we shall see. So far still 100% on plan ! It's the weekends that are my real challenges :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

I started off well yesterday but ended up missing a meal as I had to collect my son from school and bring him to A&E, when I finally got home I was ravenous and just lost the run of myself while I was waiting for something to cook.

• Advertisement

deisemum wrote: »
    I started off well yesterday but ended up missing a meal as I had to collect my son from school and bring him to A&E, when I finally got home I was ravenous and just lost the run of myself while I was waiting for something to cook.

Hope all is well now deisemum
    I missed lunch yesterday too, sometimes life just gets in the way, and was staaaarving by the time I had dinner ready, only ate an apple and a Ryvita with almond butter but really should have had some yogurt etc too, underestimated how long dinner would take to cook!

He got a deep gash on the top of his head with a hurley, pure accident in the changing room. He got his head glued and is fine in himself.

deisemum wrote: »
    He got a deep gash on the top of his head with a hurley, pure accident in the changing room. He got his head glued and is fine in himself.

Aw glad he's ok, that sounds really nasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Vahevala, I know this may be going against all SW advice but there is genuine logic here. If we constantly restrict ourselves our body clings to calories and will fight harder to lose them. I'd recommend having a bit of a blow out and then going back on plan. If you gain 1 lb by having a few days off plan then the chances are you'll lose that and some more when you go back on plan.

That said, I don't know how much you followed the plan on holidays recently.

Finally, would you consider changing your target? In all honestly it's a total and utter shame that you're letting this one pound put such a cloud over what has been a purely tremendous achievement. If it was me - I'd be saying 'f you pound - I've lost 83lbs and I'm going to focus on them because I'm bloody amazing!!' (and that's just your SW loss - not your total loss)

Its upsetting to read how upset you are - because you're so amazing and have been such an inspiration. Wipe those tears and go out and show off that new body - focus on those 83 instead!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Well I had an absolute disaster of a Friday and Saturday. My OH graduated from the final part of her training on Friday and what was intended to be a simple, quiet family GTG turned into a 48 hour spectacle of food and alcohol. Neither of us drink much so we were saved on the alcohol for the most part. I'll have to speed the rest of the week now and be sensible. I'll spend the rest of the day making lunches and dinners for the week and hope that will keep me on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Worst thing you can do is over think it and try too hard. Just get back to normality and you'll be fine.

highly1111 wrote: »
    Vahevala, I know this may be going against all SW advice but there is genuine logic here. If we constantly restrict ourselves our body clings to calories and will fight harder to lose them. I'd recommend having a bit of a blow out and then going back on plan. If you gain 1 lb by having a few days off plan then the chances are you'll lose that and some more when you go back on plan.

That said, I don't know how much you followed the plan on holidays recently.

Finally, would you consider changing your target? In all honestly it's a total and utter shame that you're letting this one pound put such a cloud over what has been a purely tremendous achievement. If it was me - I'd be saying 'f you pound - I've lost 83lbs and I'm going to focus on them because I'm bloody amazing!!' (and that's just your SW loss - not your total loss)

Its upsetting to read how upset you are - because you're so amazing and have been such an inspiration. Wipe those tears and go out and show off that new body - focus on those 83 instead!!!

Thanks so much. I have decided to keep my target at 10 stone and in the meantime, try to get the 6 stone award and that will mean the pressure has been lifted and I may try to get the weight down on my own terms!

I have lost 7 stone 10.5 lbs in total so I focusing on what I have done rather than what I haven't :) I am not letting it get to me... I plan to enjoy myself, appreciate how much I have achieved rather than letting the numbers on the scale get to me! :)

Thanks so much. I have decided to keep my target at 10 stone and in the meantime, try to get the 6 stone award and that will mean the pressure has been lifted and I may try to get the weight down on my own terms!

I have lost 7 stone 10.5 lbs in total so I focusing on what I have done rather than what I haven't :) I am not letting it get to me... I plan to enjoy myself, appreciate how much I have achieved rather than letting the numbers on the scale get to me! :)

Omg 7 stone 10.5 pounds... id b leaving a glitzgirl sized hole in the wall while I run out to go shopping ! Thats amazing !! :):)

Had a crappy Fri, well great but crappy in regards to slimming world! Found out my husband got offered not 1 but 2 jobs, over the moon so I made a yummy dinner to celebrate, was off plan after that, had to do a favour for a friend then and ended up eating a burger at 12.30am, that's what happens when I have a change in routine.... Went straight back on plan Sat and sitting munching into my toffee apple overnight oats at the minute, here's to a good week, good luck everybody x

Had a crappy Fri, well great but crappy in regards to slimming world! Found out my husband got offered not 1 but 2 jobs, over the moon so I made a yummy dinner to celebrate, was off plan after that, had to do a favour for a friend then and ended up eating a burger at 12.30am, that's what happens when I have a change in routine.... Went straight back on plan Sat and sitting munching into my toffee apple overnight oats at the minute, here's to a good week, good luck everybody x

Congrats on the job offer! Sure that had to be celebrated lol :) don't listen to me I'm clearly jus a bad influence ;)

• Advertisement

Well ladies this week has been a monumental week for me (from a SW point if view ;) ) my first full week on plan. Delighted I didn't cave at the weekend while the rest of the family had some sweets and treats while we were out I stayed on plan. Even made what I hope was an all free Sunday roast dinner :). Expecting good results on Tuesday ! Fingers crossed !

I have developed an addiction to Ainsley Harriotts cous cous, really big portion and quite low syn... I am having that for lunch every day, I had it with baby plum tomatoes & salmon today...

Tomorrow, it is the same cous cous but I chucked in extra mushrooms, tomatoes & some chicken. Hooked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

I have developed an addiction to Ainsley Harriotts cous cous, really big portion and quite low syn... I am having that for lunch every day, I had it with baby plum tomatoes & salmon today...

Tomorrow, it is the same cous cous but I chucked in extra mushrooms, tomatoes & some chicken. Hooked :D

Interesting. Do me mind me asking where you get it?

Interesting. Do me mind me asking where you get it?

I got them in Dunnes. well worth it :) Roasted veg cous cous is delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I'm glad to see you seem to have your 'mojo' back Vahevala :)

I had my weigh in last night, lost half a pound.. It seems to be literally just dripping off me now, because I'm so close to my last target... Aaaaagh!
    I'm just going to keep chipping away at it, 3.5lbs left and I'll be 8 stone sonething.

I did notice over the past fortnight I've been eating more potato than usual so I'm going to reduce that a bit, drink water and start lowering my syns slightly to see if it will make a difference.

Good luck to everyone this week!

I love couscous and love this recipe though I omit the oil because of the syns and the raisins as my husband doesn't like them. Sometimes I replace the oil with lime juice.

Clodagh McKenna's Couscous and Chickpea Salad

½ red onion, finely chopped
    1 tsp ground cumin
    ½ tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp ground coriander
    40g raisins
    350 ml of chicken stock
    100g good-quality tinned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    A handful chopped flat leaf parsley
    2tbsp lemon juice
    2 tbsp olive oil
    200g of couscous
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Put the couscous in a large bowl with the raisins and spices and season to taste with sea salt and black pepper - mix well.
    2. Add the hot chicken stock to the couscous and cover for 5 minutes with a plate or cling film to seal in the steam.
    3. Remove cling film and separate the grains by using a fork as a spoon will make the mixture clumpy.
    4. Stir in the chickpeas, lemon juice, olive oil, red onion and chopped parsley.

Delicious hot or cold.

Or just a simple basil, feta, tomato

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

Does anyone stay for the image therapy? Games etc are not my thing. I really want to stay tonight as will be doing tips on Christmas parties etc but I cant face it. I only stayed the first night and it was 1 hour and 20 minutes long.

I'm finding the diet great and its working for me but the extremely long motivational texts and posts on facebook annoy me. The whole social side of it is great if that's what you are into but its not for me.

Mollyd90 wrote:
    Does anyone stay for the image therapy? Games etc are not my thing. I really want to stay tonight as will be doing tips on Christmas parties etc but I cant face it. I only stayed the first night and it was 1 hour and 20 minutes long.

I always stay and thankfully there is never any games, hate that rubbish! Our image therapy is the consultant going round asking how everybody got on, what people need help with, anything new anybody finds out and just a general good chat about all things slimming world, I do find it great, found out so many things I never would have known if I just weighed and left

• Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I always stay and thankfully there is never any games, hate that rubbish! Our image therapy is the consultant going round asking how everybody got on, what people need help with, anything new anybody finds out and just a general good chat about all things slimming world, I do find it great, found out so many things I never would have known if I just weighed and left

Ours is the same. Never lasts an hour

• Advertisement

Hello all ! I had mu weigh in today and am delighted to say I lost a fantastic 4.5 lbs ! Super happy!! :) hope everyone has a great week this week !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement