Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

V, don't be too hard on yourself. I find myself after dropping the initial 3/4 stone that it's become really difficult to shift a pound as easily as it was. My best aid is my food diary. If I have a low performing week I try and copy a good performing week.

Myself I lost 1.5lb today. Happy enough with that even though I essentially had a "textbook" week. It's my TOTM so at least I managed a loss. Feel very bloated though. My OH made the dinner, an 11 syn extravaganza! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Vahevala wrote: »
    I wasn't going to update but I will. I went to weigh in and I gained 1/2 lb and I tried so hard. Here I am, another week sat on the sofa in tears and feel so demoralised and upset. I don't know what is wrong or why SW isn't working for me anymore. I don't even know what to do.

Sorry this isn't a more uplifting post, I am so happy for how far I have come but I just don't understand it anymore and I can't keep putting myself through this week after week. :(:(

Sorry to hear you're upset, maybe you should have a re think on your target weight? As you were saying in an earlier post you were looking for a healthy BMI but reading up on it BMI doesn't take your build into account. If it wasn't for your BMI would you be happy with your current weight? How do you feel in a size 10? Looking at your previous posts and pictures you look like a total different person and its not just the weight, its the massive smile you have on your face now!
    You have been one of the biggest supporters of new posters on this thread and I know I don't just speak for myself when I say thank you for being such a great inspiration x

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Frogfeather

I was a bit sceptical about joining SW but I had a fantastic first weigh in and feel really proud. Just hope it continues.
    Going to try add some activity this week to keep on track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Sorry to hear you're upset, maybe you should have a re think on your target weight? As you were saying in an earlier post you were looking for a healthy BMI but reading up on it BMI doesn't take your build into account. If it wasn't for your BMI would you be happy with your current weight? How do you feel in a size 10? Looking at your previous posts and pictures you look like a total different person and its not just the weight, its the massive smile you have on your face now!
    You have been one of the biggest supporters of new posters on this thread and I know I don't just speak for myself when I say thank you for being such a great inspiration x

Nail on the head. V, is it worth putting yourself through the heartache for the sake of a few more lb? You've lost so much that excess skin could be accounting for that weight and your body is happy where it is! You've already improved your quality of life so much, it's heartbreaking that you're this upset over half a pound.

P.S. BMI was invented by a tall and skinny doctor who, coincidentally, thought everyone should have the same body type. It really isn't everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Thanks everyone. I think it isn't just the BMI getting to me, it is the thought that I am following the plan to the letter and I am gaining weight, that is the main problem that I have at the moment.

Feeling very disillusioned with SW if I am honest. My thought process is that I will tell my consultant I will call target at 10 stone (I am now 9 stone 13.5 lbs) and maybe that will ease the pressure on myself. In the meantime I will work at getting my 6 stone award (1 lb away again... ) and see if I lose a bit of weight when I am under a bit less pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks everyone. I think it isn't just the BMI getting to me, it is the thought that I am following the plan to the letter and I am gaining weight, that is the main problem that I have at the moment.

Feeling very disillusioned with SW if I am honest. My thought process is that I will tell my consultant I will call target at 10 stone (I am now 9 stone 13.5 lbs) and maybe that will ease the pressure on myself. In the meantime I will work at getting my 6 stone award (1 lb away again... ) and see if I lose a bit of weight when I am under a bit less pressure.

I was like that for MONTHS!! I'd be up for no apparent reason one week then it'd take 3-4 weeks (maybe more) to lose it. It was incredibly frustrating. My main change was just changing up what I was eating - I'd have the same breakfast and lunch every day so stopped that. I do have the same breakfast during the week but might have a roll 2 days and salad or leftovers the next. I seem to have turned a corner the last few months though and am now 2.5 alway from my target of 9 stone and 1 of that will get me my 1.5 stone award. After my last gain mystery of 3 or 4 lbs I stopped trying to explain it and just carried on as normal - no SP days, no drastic changes. I think I freaked my consultant out because she called me and I was out with the dogs and basically couldn't talk so no legally discussion of my plan bcause I wasn't making one! The NSVs have kept me going so I don't obsess or try to work the scales like some people seem to do. I'm still there each week and most of them are gone!

So bottom line - just ride it out and don't drive yourself mad trying to explain it! :)

I have a different healthy B each day, I have the same healthy A because I can't eat cheese. I am going to bring back the sugar free squash (I had cut it out because I thought it was making me gain weight), if nothing else, it helps me drink fluids!

I will do a big Tesco order today and go back to basics on extra easy. This week I am cutting out eggs as I think they may not be helping me :o, I will do a trial and error for a few weeks and see if I can find out if it is something that I am eating that is affecting my weight.

Looking at my SW book, I have been losing and gaining the same pound for over a month now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Looking at my SW book, I have been losing and gaining the same pound for over a month now!!

GAh! yeah I was like that! And the consultant is like "well done you lost 1lb!!!!!!!!!!" ... "Eh but I put on 3 2 weeks ago so I'm still 1lb up!" :rolleyes::p

Funny I've been drinking (very watery) squash the last couple of months to stop myself drinking so much water :o like with plain water I can't stop and had tried to limit myself to 6l per doctors orders because it was turning my stomach and making me feel sick.. but with the squash it seems to quench my thirst more and I don't gulp it. They have new taps in work now and we have ambient, chilled or sparkling lol so some days I have a bottle of sparkling in the afternoon for the novelty of it! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

is that 6 litres a day?! I don't think I'd have time for eating with all the peeing

Christ... I struggle to drink 2 litres a day :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Are you making yourself drink 6 litres a day TK or are you genuinely thirsty?? Seems a lot to drink in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

I do love slimming world but so much of it just does not apply to me and I'm sure other people feel the same.

Like hifi bars and muller lights guarantee a gain for me and a glass of wine just in the house in the house makes me put on weight.

And no I cannot eat unlimited portions of free foods I have to control my portions or else I will not lose.

I also never have my healthy extra b. Admittedly I do get enough fiber into me without it but again if I eat bread every day I will not lose weight.

I've started logging everything into my fitness pal just to have a rough idea of my calories per day. Also lets me know sodium, fat levels etc.

Don't get me wrong I love slimming world I just don't think it's magic for everyone. But I am still going and I am still for the most part following the plan.

I have a different healthy B each day, I have the same healthy A because I can't eat cheese. I am going to bring back the sugar free squash (I had cut it out because I thought it was making me gain weight), if nothing else, it helps me drink fluids!

I will do a big Tesco order today and go back to basics on extra easy. This week I am cutting out eggs as I think they may not be helping me :o, I will do a trial and error for a few weeks and see if I can find out if it is something that I am eating that is affecting my weight.

So sorry you had a bad result yesterday.

I wouldn't cut out eggs though definitely cut any fruit before eggs. Excess fruit can make you gain weight it would take a hell of a lot more eggs to make you gain.

I think you mentioned it before that you can't afford to snack on protein, can't remember, if it wasn't you I'm very sorry. But snacking on protein is exactly what I'd do it's always the weeks I up my protein I lose.

Pieces of Cajun or tikka chicken from Aldi, slices of ham, boiled eggs, egg mayonaise, Parma ham is 0.5 syn a slice. It might be worth it to throw in an extra tenner this week and get some more protein.

But sure look you've come so far you could weigh in at a different time and be down that 1lb.

SW is more about the "idea" of unlimited free foods. It's about maing you eat healthy foods until you're satisfied. It's natural that the more you lose weight, the less you'll *need* to eat so your portion sizes should go down automatically

SW won't advertise this as they position themselves with the "no weighing, no measuring" angle as it encourages people to not be afraid of food.

But losing weight basically boils down to using more calories than you consume. Eating via the SW plan helps keep those calories down without making you consciously think about each individual calorie

And as ever, every single person is different. ON balance, this works for most people. That's as good as they can get

ameliams wrote: »
    I do love slimming world but so much of it just does not apply to me and I'm sure other people feel the same.

Like hifi bars and muller lights guarantee a gain for me and a glass of wine just in the house in the house makes me put on weight.

I also never have my healthy extra b. Admittedly I do get enough fiber into me without it but again if I eat bread every day I will not lose weight.

Don't get me wrong I love slimming world I just don't think it's magic for everyone. But I am still going and I am still for the most part following the plan.

But you don't have to just have bread for your Healthy B, there are loads of options. I rarely eat bread to be honest, im not bothered about it. You can have loads of cereals as your option, or Ryvita and plenty of other things. Have a look at your book, it gives you loads of B options apart from bread.

The thing about SW is there is so much to choose from, that you shouldnt feel restricted. Im not a great veg eater so sometimes i struggle with my 1/3 speed, but i love fruit, so i make sure i try to have plenty of fruit with my meals and it works for me. So its all about choosing things that works for you.

So sorry you had a bad result yesterday.

I wouldn't cut out eggs though definitely cut any fruit before eggs. Excess fruit can make you gain weight it would take a hell of a lot more eggs to make you gain.

I think you mentioned it before that you can't afford to snack on protein, can't remember, if it wasn't you I'm very sorry. But snacking on protein is exactly what I'd do it's always the weeks I up my protein I lose.

Pieces of Cajun or tikka chicken from Aldi, slices of ham, boiled eggs, egg mayonaise, Parma ham is 0.5 syn a slice. It might be worth it to throw in an extra tenner this week and get some more protein.

But sure look you've come so far you could weigh in at a different time and be down that 1lb.

Without being too graphical, Eggs I feel could be clogging me up :o I don't feel that snacking on protein helps me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Vahevala.. I'm sorry that you didn't get the result you wanted last night.. It's horrible when that happens. All I'd say is stick with it, SW has helped you lose so much weight so far, don't give up on it now.. You may have said it already but how many syns do you have on average each day?

m'lady wrote: »
    Vahevala.. I'm sorry that you didn't get the result you wanted last night.. It's horrible when that happens. All I'd say is stick with it, SW has helped you lose so much weight so far, don't give up on it now.. You may have said it already but how many syns do you have on average each day?

Thank you, I have usually around 11.5/12, some days I had a little less, some more.

I know, I just need to keep going and see where it takes me. It just seems like I have spent weeks struggling and sick of being upset, it is taking too much out of me :(

Dodge wrote: »
    SW is more about the "idea" of unlimited free foods. It's about maing you eat healthy foods until you're satisfied. It's natural that the more you lose weight, the less you'll *need* to eat so your portion sizes should go down automatically

SW won't advertise this as they position themselves with the "no weighing, no measuring" angle as it encourages people to not be afraid of food.

But losing weight basically boils down to using more calories than you consume. Eating via the SW plan helps keep those calories down without making you consciously think about each individual calorie

And as ever, every single person is different. ON balance, this works for most people. That's as good as they can get

I know it's not about eating as much food as possible I know that.

But my consultant suggested to me I snack on chips as they're free and therefore no limit to them. If I did that I would gain weight.

I know how weight loss works I also know if I follow all the rules that slimming world gives me to the letter I will gain weight.

The reason why slimming world generally works is because the vast majority of people who do it are obese. So it's much easier for them to lose weight. Most people eventually reach a plateau.
    Like I said it has worked for me but with the adjustments I've made not the suggestions given to me from slimming world.
    When I started my BMI was 26.7, now 24.1 once I got to under 25 the weight lose tailed off.

tk123 wrote: »
    GAh! yeah I was like that! And the consultant is like "well done you lost 1lb!!!!!!!!!!" ... "Eh but I put on 3 2 weeks ago so I'm still 1lb up!" :rolleyes::p

Funny I've been drinking (very watery) squash the last couple of months to stop myself drinking so much water :o like with plain water I can't stop and had tried to limit myself to 6l per doctors orders because it was turning my stomach and making me feel sick.. but with the squash it seems to quench my thirst more and I don't gulp it. They have new taps in work now and we have ambient, chilled or sparkling lol so some days I have a bottle of sparkling in the afternoon for the novelty of it! :rolleyes:

6 litres of water a day? Thats a dangerous amount of water to be having, you only have to google it and you will see that seemingly one of the Kardashians came out saying that they drank that and an Irish Doctor has said that it's way too much, it can affect the sodium chemistry in your body etc.. And your Doctor has suggested limiting it to 6 litres? Is be changing Doctor to be honest!

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    But you don't have to just have bread for your Healthy B, there are loads of options. I rarely eat bread to be honest, im not bothered about it. You can have loads of cereals as your option, or Ryvita and plenty of other things. Have a look at your book, it gives you loads of B options apart from bread.

The thing about SW is there is so much to choose from, that you shouldnt feel restricted. Im not a great veg eater so sometimes i struggle with my 1/3 speed, but i love fruit, so i make sure i try to have plenty of fruit with my meals and it works for me. So its all about choosing things that works for you.

I know you can have more than bread but I don't drink milk so no cereal and things like ryvita or dried fruit or the other suggestions I'm not bothered about so to eat to them would be eating them for the sake of it. But as I said I don't think my body needs the fibre anyway I have plenty through what I eat.

I know slimming world is vey flexible just certain parts of it don't work for me.

I don't touch fruit at all. All speed for me is veg if I ate a third fruit with everything if be the size of a house haha.

I know it's not about eating as much food as possible I know that.

But my consultant suggested to me I snack on chips as they're free and therefore no limit to them. If I did that I would gain weight.

I know how weight loss works I also know if I follow all the rules that slimming world gives me to the letter I will gain weight.

The reason why slimming world generally works is because the vast majority of people who do it are obese. So it's much easier for them to lose weight. Most people eventually reach a plateau.
    Like I said it has worked for me but with the adjustments I've made not the suggestions given to me from slimming world.
    When I started my BMI was 26.7, now 24.1 once I got to under 25 the weight lose tailed off.

Sorry but that is wrong. Im doing slimming world and im certainly not obese and most of the people in my class aren't either. I still have weight losses when i follow the plan, even though im not too far from target. I think its very unfair to say that to be honest.

Thank you, I have usually around 11.5/12, some days I had a little less, some more.

I know, I just need to keep going and see where it takes me. It just seems like I have spent weeks struggling and sick of being upset, it is taking too much out of me :(

I know, it is upsetting but maybe your putting too much pressure on yourself? My consultant advised me to call target as it eases the pressure on you and you can continue to try and lose a bit more at the same time. On the other hand as someone else suggested, maybe your body is at it's 'natural' weight?
    You have come so far and have done so well, perhaps it's time to enjoy that and stop putting added pressure on yourself?

Without being too graphical, Eggs I feel could be clogging me up :o I don't feel that snacking on protein helps me.

Haha fair enough. No eggs then.

Just suggested it because I know too much fruit can make you gain weight speed or not. It isn't quite as free as veg.

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry but that is wrong. Im doing slimming world and im certainly not obese and most of the people in my class aren't either. I still have weight losses when i follow the plan, even though im not too far from target. I think its very unfair to say that to be honest.

I'm talking within terms of BMI. Sorry if I offended. I've attended 3 slimming world groups and 90 per cent of every class I've attended is in the obese category. My main consultant is a very tall slim looking woman and she herself is in the overweight category and she's in her target range.
    My Mum is considered obese and she's 12 and a half stone.

I'm talking within terms of BMI. Sorry if I offended. I've attended 3 slimming world groups and 90 per cent of every class I've attended is in the obese category. My main consultant is a very tall slim looking woman and she herself is in the overweight category and she's in her target range.
    My Mum is considered obese and she's 12 and a half stone.

I am considered overweight and I am size 10, if nothing else, it backups the argument of the BMI being a load of nonsense! :)

In regards to the whole BMI debate, my own GP had said that she would never refer to the bmi calculator now and neither do any do of the other Doctors in the clinic.. 'Out with the arc' was her comment on it!

I am considered overweight and I am size 10, if nothing else, it backups the argument of the BMI being a load of nonsense! :)

Totally believe it it's very easy to be overweight. Hence why I said obese before because a huge amount of people are obese while thinking they are simply overweight. Once I dropped out of the overweight category I've found it way harder to lose weight on slimming world which is why I think it works for obese/overweight.
    I didn't mean to offend anyone by saying most slimming world members are obese probably should have said overweight instead.

I personally think BMI is relevant but that's personal opinion and probably due to the different backgrounds we all have.

One can be within it's "healthy" range and not be healthy. So it's irrelevant.

Without being personal, if it works for you, then fire away but not a single GP will ever refer to that stat line positively. And they know better than most.

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    One can be within it's "healthy" range and not be healthy. So it's irrelevant.

Without being personal, if it works for you, then fire away but not a single GP will ever refer to that stat line positively. And they know better than most.

Healthy weight and being healthy are not the same though. You can be a healthy weight and be unhealthy and you can be an unhealthy weight and be for the most part living a healthy lifestyle.

As I said, personally I do agree with it as having had several discussions with doctors and dieticians who are support of it as a general rule. But that is only my experience. And a lot of that is medical expertise abroad where opinions differ from here in Ireland where we have a higher level of obesity.

But that's irrelevant obviously as it's just my opinion through my experience. Different people different opinions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement