Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Dolbert wrote: »
    Oh yeah the chopped frozen pieces from Tesco. They're cooked as far as I know

can you cook with them from frozen ?

Yeah, that I'd agree with 100%. It's extremely easy to follow it while being healthier than what they 'allow.' Swap refined carbs for non-refined (both free), don't bother with Muller Lights, use syns for healthy fats and boom, sustainable, fairly healthy diet. :)

stop talking tripe ;)

they obviously don't advocate eating sugars etc

but it caters for people with a sweet tooth

obviously if you eat lean meats , salads , veg etc you'd lose it quicker id say

but life can't always be that bland and boring

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Down 7.5 lbs this week. Can't believe it. Really delighted. 1 stone 12 lbs down since first week in July. Thrilled silly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

stop talking tripe ;)

they obviously don't advocate eating sugars etc

but it caters for people with a sweet tooth

obviously if you eat lean meats , salads , veg etc you'd lose it quicker id say

but life can't always be that bland and boring

Why are you being rude? Is there any need?

Read my post correctly too, please. I never said they advocate eating sugar. I said they allow a lot of sugar/refined carbs, which nutritionally isn't great.

As for eating lean meats and veg - you're supposed to on SW. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Each to their own, I don't eat a lot of yogurt but I love to use my syns on the little treats at the end of the night, it helps to keep me going. I have done the whole calorie counting/eating clean but I couldn't keep it up and ended up giving in to cravings for takeaways.

To me, SW is a fantastic plan, I am a slow loser but I have lost 5 stone 8 lbs with them in a year. I am beyond thankful that I found the plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

pinkstars wrote: »
    Does Slimming World actually work? Can't decide whether to go to Ww or sw!!!

I personally like the minimal counting/free food aspect of SW. You have to use your own discretion with portion sizes and recognise when you've had enough so from that point of view it's good for learning how to eat intuitively. Some people prefer the control of WW but I find counting and pointing everything a bit consuming. I've lost just over 2.5 stone since April, nothing dramatic but steady.

Vahevala wrote: »
    Each to their own, I don't eat a lot of yogurt but I love to use my syns on the little treats at the end of the night, it helps to keep me going. I have done the whole calorie counting/eating clean but I couldn't keep it up and ended up giving in to cravings for takeaways.

To me, SW is a fantastic plan, I am a slow loser but I have lost 5 stone 8 lbs with them in a year. I am beyond thankful that I found the plan.

5stone 8 pounds in a year is not slow

well done

congrats

5stone 8 pounds in a year is not slow

well done

congrats

Thank you, when I meant I am a slow loser, I rarely would lose over 3 lbs so I don't lose huge amounts each week :)

I received size 10 PJ's from my parents, I had set my SW target to be 10 stone (still overweight on the BMI scale -4.5 lbs away right now) but as I am 5"2 or so, that would probably keep me at size 12 so I think I will have to lower it, it would be amazing to finish as a size 10 so maybe I should aim for 9 stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭leelee77

Thank you, when I meant I am a slow loser, I rarely would lose over 3 lbs so I don't lose huge amounts each week :)

I received size 10 PJ's from my parents, I had set my SW target to be 10 stone (still overweight on the BMI scale -4.5 lbs away right now) but as I am 5"2 or so, that would probably keep me at size 12 so I think I will have to lower it, it would be amazing to finish as a size 10 so maybe I should aim for 9 stone.

You must be dying to get the final 4.5lbs off! With regards to target I guess it depends on how you feel. My target would be on the lower end of my BMI. For my frame a size 10 suits me. I am a good size 12 now and clothes don't hang well on me.

leelee77 wrote: »
    You must be dying to get the final 4.5lbs off! With regards to target I guess it depends on how you feel. My target would be on the lower end of my BMI. For my frame a size 10 suits me. I am a good size 12 now and clothes don't hang well on me.

I know, so close!

People tell me that I look well as I am but I think I have a larger frame but at the moment, I hate my legs (thunder thighs) and upper arms (serious bingo wings) but I fear I may have to join a gym to help tone me, I have never joined one before so I am very nervous to do so as I wouldn't know how to use equipment etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Boo up 3lbs last night. Very frustrating because it's taken me about 6 weeks to lose the last 3 lbs - I'm up and lose it over say 4-6 weeks then back up again so not getting anywhere. Only thing I can think of is that I was away from my desk most of last week so not drinking enough water. Going to give it until Christmas before I decide what to do. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I know, so close!

People tell me that I look well as I am but I think I have a larger frame but at the moment, I hate my legs (thunder thighs) and upper arms (serious bingo wings) but I fear I may have to join a gym to help tone me, I have never joined one before so I am very nervous to do so as I wouldn't know how to use equipment etc.

Vahevala I really wouldn't be too nervous about joining a gym, they are well used to 'newbies' joining and are usually very welcoming and give plenty of advice in regards to using the equipment. Bite the bullet!

m'lady wrote: »
    Vahevala I really wouldn't be too nervous about joining a gym, they are well used to 'newbies' joining and are usually very welcoming and give plenty of advice in regards to using the equipment. Bite the bullet!

Plus you could invest a few quid into say four personal trainer sessions, to come up with a plan that works for you. :)

Only thing I'll say is that while I find the gym great for toning (I LOVE lifting, which helps!), it has never done anything for loose skin. You'll be able to tone up, but loose skin won't tone because it's basically been stretched too much.
    So for me, while I lost weight slowly over a few years and toned well, my triceps (underneath, upper arm) have loose skin which will never really go away

I really want to join the gym as I am close to target and want to tone up a bit around my stomach and arms especially but I'm in the middle of moving house so I know I won't be able to commit right now, but there is a gym 5 minutes walk away in new house so I'll be joining then!

In the mean time I think I'll look up a few exercises on YouTube and do the plank religiously!

tk123 wrote: »
    Boo up 3lbs last night. Very frustrating because it's taken me about 6 weeks to lose the last 3 lbs - I'm up and lose it over say 4-6 weeks then back up again so not getting anywhere. Only thing I can think of is that I was away from my desk most of last week so not drinking enough water. Going to give it until Christmas before I decide what to do. :(

You're close to target aren't you? You're probably eating close to your maintenance calories if you're not losing! I know I don't like calorie counting but you may need to take them into account towards the end. You could try working out your daily calorie deficit and inputting into MyFitnessPal for a week to see if you could make any replacements.

m'lady wrote: »
    I really want to join the gym as I am close to target and want to tone up a bit around my stomach and arms especially but I'm in the middle of moving house so I know I won't be able to commit right now, but there is a gym 5 minutes walk away in new house so I'll be joining then!

In the mean time I think I'll look up a few exercises on YouTube and do the plank religiously!

I love planking :D I also love burpees though, so I'm a strange breed

I love planking too, funny cos I've a bad back but find it quite easy!

'Burpees'?! I'll have to google that lol ðŸ˜႒

On second thoughts, now considering going back to my running, may restart the couch to 5K again as I did enjoy that! plus it is free, will possibly pop into my local gym tonight to have a look around.

Also contacted my consultant to lower my target weight :eek:

anybody any ideas of a cajun sauce to use in pasta , either a low syn brand name or home made ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Hoping for my half a stone award tonight, was looking for it last week only needed a pound but had only lost half so fingers crossed i get it tonight!

Can't believe iv lost 6 and half pounds, really doesn't feel like your on a diet, it's just hard when your having shopping trips or days out ye really need to plan ahead, but it's worth it!

• Advertisement

upinthesky wrote: »
    Hoping for my half a stone award tonight, was looking for it last week only needed a pound but had only lost half so fingers crossed i get it tonight!

Can't believe iv lost 6 and half pounds, really doesn't feel like your on a diet, it's just hard when your having shopping trips or days out ye really need to plan ahead, but it's worth it!

Subway becomes your friend for the subway salad when you are out shopping :)

Dolbert wrote: »
    You're close to target aren't you? You're probably eating close to your maintenance calories if you're not losing! I know I don't like calorie counting but you may need to take them into account towards the end. You could try working out your daily calorie deficit and inputting into MyFitnessPal for a week to see if you could make any replacements.

I had 7 pounds to go last week but back up to 10 now. Honestly I think my target was way too ambitious? My friend thinks I've reached my natural ideal weight and that's why I'm fluctuating above/below it every few weeks. I always stay within my syns and felt like I turned a corner the last few weeks so maybe it was just the lack of water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Ooh you should join the plank-a-day group on fb ... I'm a member, but I rarely actually do it. :o

I had 7 pounds to go last week but back up to 10 now. Honestly I think my target was way too ambitious? My friend thinks I've reached my natural ideal weight and that's why I'm fluctuating above/below it every few weeks. I always stay within my syns and felt like I turned a corner the last few weeks so maybe it was just the lack of water?

Could be! My target is to get into the healthy BMI bracket but I could be happy at a stone above or below that either. My consultant advised me to just wait and see.

I had a rare treat yesteday evening that I was saving until after weigh-in...so I ended up using 27.5 syns yesterday(!) :eek: Do I count it as flexible synning and 'draw a line under it' or try and save some syns over the next few days to allow for it? What does everyone else do? The last time I had a treat like this and went over was on my holidays at the start of May!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mondo123

Hi all

Down 1lb this week. .. happy to be down, still going very slow. .. 5lbs in 5 weeks but I'm getting there! Trying to stay motivated an still holding out for the week I might get over 2 lbs down 😉
    Onwards and downwards 😊 best of luck all for the coming week

I had a rare treat yesteday evening that I was saving until after weigh-in...so I ended up using 27.5 syns yesterday(!) :eek: Do I count it as flexible synning and 'draw a line under it' or try and save some syns over the next few days to allow for it? What does everyone else do? The last time I had a treat like this and went over was on my holidays at the start of May!

I would put it down as a flexi, I had so many drinks Saturday night but I wouldn't like to even attempt to calculate the syns but draw a line under it and move on I say :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I was afraid to weigh myself this week as i had two takeaways over the weekend. Ah well, I don't have much left to loose so feck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Down 2lb this week total of 8.5 and got my half stone reward, delighted, only 2lb more for target weight!

• Advertisement

I never really pull it back after a treat but I make sure to stay on plan, I might have 10 syns the following days instead of 15 but it probably doesn't make much difference

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement