Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Thanks guys, I don't think it really is for me. I did it my second week of slimming world and stayed the same but thought I'd give it another go, so I guess 1lb is better than nothing. I'll try again this week and see what happens.
    I don't necessarily find it difficult just quite restrictive and I really really gave it 100%.

I have 11.5 pounds gone and my target is to loose 2 stone in total so almost halfway there. Just after the effort I put in this week I really expected 2lb minimum gone.
    My consultant said that as I don't have a huge amount to loose that that's why I only lost a 1lb. She thinks that once I've 1 and a half stone gone I might be happy with that.
    She also mentioned in group that she thinks slow weight loss can be largely due to not eating enough.
    The only aspect of SP I didn't stick to was the extra HexB but if I'd eaten it I would have been doing it for the sake of it and I don't generally have it every day anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I think part of the problem with some people for SP is that it feels like a diet so you might start to feel restricted

Whereas with the normal plan, it's seen more as a lifestyle change. It doesn't feel like a diet when you're eating oven baked SW chips and a burger with a side salad. I think half the battle (for me) is almost making the healthy eating unconscious.

So i check syn value of foods but I know I don't have to worry about not eating enough protein, or eating too many carbs etc etc

It all kinda works out and my portion sizes are smaller now than when I started

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Just to say, people seem to regard 1lb a week as a slow loss but in reality it's the recommended amount to lose per week. Any more than 2lb per week and it's likely you're losing water and possibly muscle. Consistency is key here, not losing loads in a short space of time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Dolbert wrote: »
    Just to say, people seem to regard 1lb a week as a slow loss but in reality it's the recommended amount to lose per week. Any more than 2lb per week and it's likely you're losing water and possibly muscle. Consistency is key here, not losing loads in a short space of time :)

I don't think 1lb is a slow loss at all but I do in relation to SP. Since it is supposed to boost your weight lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Dolbert wrote: »

I know but in fairness, Slimming World don't do themselves any favours when they try to push this as a plan that will give you huge losses. It doesn't really bother me as I am happy to lose anything at this stage! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

This day last year I walked into my first slimming world class. I felt sick and considered running away. Walking through that door I felt awful. I really felt disgusting. But I'd finally made the decision that I was important and that I mattered. Standing on the scales and realising that I weighed 18 stone 8.5 pounds made me feel even worse. I really didn't think it was that much. The local dominos pizza were doing any large pizza for a tenner and I ate 2 of them after being weighed. I know bad habits die hard! The next day I started on the journey that has made me a different person. I've had plenty of ups and downs and even lost a nonessential body part in the process. But I've never been happier. I always think I should be further on my journey but feck that I'm one year in and four stone lighter and the happiest I've ever been. Sometimes it isn't the number on the scales but the frame of mind your in. I'll never regret the day I walked in the door it really was the best decision I've ever made! Sorry for the stupid post but I just feel like saying Happy Slimming World Anniversary to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

I cannot face reading 300 pages to get the answer to this question: when you attend your first class do you get the books etc? or do you need to see the consultant privately?

BabySlam wrote: »
    I cannot face reading 300 pages to get the answer to this question: when you attend your first class do you get the books etc? or do you need to see the consultant privately?

You meet them at the start with any other newcomers and you get the book etc. You'll weigh in after the meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

BabySlam wrote: »

You go in and there's a new members talk for anyone who's new and the consultant - so that happens say in a corner/to the side while everyone else is weighing in - this is when you get the books. Then in our group there's image therapy "Mary you lost 3 lbs are you all set for next week" then after that the new members weigh-in. While everyone knows if you gained/lost nobody knows your weight except you, the consultant and the social team who take payments and weigh you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Wellyd wrote: »
    This day last year I walked into my first slimming world class. I felt sick and considered running away. Walking through that door I felt awful. I really felt disgusting. But I'd finally made the decision that I was important and that I mattered. Standing on the scales and realising that I weighed 18 stone 8.5 pounds made me feel even worse. I really didn't think it was that much. The local dominos pizza were doing any large pizza for a tenner and I ate 2 of them after being weighed. I know bad habits die hard! The next day I started on the journey that has made me a different person. I've had plenty of ups and downs and even lost a nonessential body part in the process. But I've never been happier. I always think I should be further on my journey but feck that I'm one year in and four stone lighter and the happiest I've ever been. Sometimes it isn't the number on the scales but the frame of mind your in. I'll never regret the day I walked in the door it really was the best decision I've ever made! Sorry for the stupid post but I just feel like saying Happy Slimming World Anniversary to me!

That post is not one bit stupid!
    You have done incredibly well and you have every reason to be so proud of yourself, and to shout it from the rooftops if you so desire!
    You deserve a massive pat on the back, and I for one find your presence on this thread and your progress so far inspirational.
    I'm delighted for you that you are so happy with your success, good on ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

+1 in total agreement with what dee_mc wrote.
    Well done. Glad you are happy

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Hi guys

I'm thinking of joining up! I've found a group that I think would suit, what do I do now? Do I need to call the consultant before hand or do I just show up? I'm way too nervous about this!

Hi guys

I'm thinking of joining up! I've found a group that I think would suit, what do I do now? Do I need to call the consultant before hand or do I just show up? I'm way too nervous about this!

Just show up. No need to be nervous. Everyone there is going for the same reason. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Hi guys

The consultant may have a new members talk before the main group kicks off so a quick call, text or email before you go may be a help. At the end of the day everyone there is in the same boat. Whether they have 8lbs to loose or 8 stone.

I joined a group in July. Have lost 2 stone of my 3 stone target and feel fantastic. Just do it!!

And enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 giz1

Hi only new to slimming world and still finding my way on wk 2 .. I was wondering if anyone knows what the Syn value of the Aldi has no gluten free crisps would be I've craving crisps all wk and these are the only thing I have in 25g is 111kcal if that helps !!!!! Have been doing great so far no chocolate or fizzy drinks or bread was 5lb down at wk 1 weigh in which was so much for me as losing weight is always such a slow process max ever before was 2 maybe 2.5 lbs in a week 👌ðŸ»and have wk2 in the morning should hopefully be down love if was as much again

giz1 wrote: »
    Hi only new to slimming world and still finding my way on wk 2 .. I was wondering if anyone knows what the Syn value of the Aldi has no gluten free crisps would be I've craving crisps all wk and these are the only thing I have in 25g is 111kcal if that helps !!!!! Have been doing great so far no chocolate or fizzy drinks or bread was 5lb down at wk 1 weigh in which was so much for me as losing weight is always such a slow process max ever before was 2 maybe 2.5 lbs in a week 👌ðŸ»and have wk2 in the morning should hopefully be down love if was as much again

I am not sure what the syns are but if you want crisps or chocolate have it, that is what your syns are for, I have a packet of velvet crunch crisps (4.5 syns) and 2 pink wafers (4 syns) every night :D

Best of luck to you :)

I have at lest a litre of pepsi max everyday. Couldn't go without fizzy. The Aldi spuddy crisps are 6.5 syns.

On their website is a calculator and a syn search. Put the nutritional info into that and it'll tell you the syn value of anything. As a rough guide 20 kcals is a syn. So 111 kcals is probably 5.5 syns but if you put the rest of the info in, it will tell you right figure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Congrats on the losses!

Those crisps are 5.5 syns per pack. Sweets and crisps are 1 syn per 20 calories, measured to the nearest half syn. If you like crisps, a pack of space raiders from a multipack is 3 syns, a pack of snacks or skips are 4.5 and the new Hula Hoop Puft crisps are 3.5 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 giz1

Thanks for replies .. Those velvet crunch are yum might b adding them to shopping list ;-) ya I'm trying to watch my Syns I use few n the sugar n coffee/tea. each day was using 2heaped spoons before plan now on 1 level sp n each so getting there .. Can I ask how do people up the fibre context I use one healthy option on my 2 weetabix n morning but don't c much fibre besides !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Thanks for replies .. Those velvet crunch are yum might b adding them to shopping list ;-) ya I'm trying to watch my Syns I use few n the sugar n coffee/tea. each day was using 2heaped spoons before plan now on 1 level sp n each so getting there .. Can I ask how do people up the fibre context I use one healthy option on my 2 weetabix n morning but don't c much fibre besides !!

The rest of the fibre comes from fruit and veg as we tend to eat so much of it on SW! I use the little stevia sweetener tablets in my coffee now, they're free :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

first weight in yesterday in two weeks, i've ate all round me and was dreading it.................down 1:D

I'm finally back in training mode so hoping that will show on the scales in the coming weeks and months.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

Going to a slimming world meeting tonight. Know a bit about it and have been loosely following the plan in terms of portions of veg/fruit to rest of food. Cutting fat off meet. Avoiding sweets and crap. Healthy extras. Going to go as I need to know the full thing rather than just googling everything. Also I think the support and regular weighing would encourage me a lot. Have a flier for half price registration fee. Just wondering do you have to pay an extra 9 on first meeting as you would every other week as I'll have to go to cash machine!
    Really looking forward to a healthier me :)

sm213 wrote: »
    Going to a slimming world meeting tonight. Know a bit about it and have been loosely following the plan in terms of portions of veg/fruit to rest of food. Cutting fat off meet. Avoiding sweets and crap. Healthy extras. Going to go as I need to know the full thing rather than just googling everything. Also I think the support and regular weighing would encourage me a lot. Have a flier for half price registration fee. Just wondering do you have to pay an extra 9 on first meeting as you would every other week as I'll have to go to cash machine!
    Really looking forward to a healthier me :)

Yeah, you pay €9 tonight and the flyer waives the €9 joining fee. So instead of 18, it's 9

Yeah, you pay €9 tonight and the flyer waives the €9 joining fee. So instead of 18, it's 9

Oh great thanks!

Did you go to meetings alone?
    I'm a shy person and group situation focusing on my biggest insecurity is making me awfully nervous.

Oh great thanks!

Did you go to meetings alone?
    I'm a shy person and group situation focusing on my biggest insecurity is making me awfully nervous.

I went with my sisters, but my sister went on her own first (I wasn't planning to join) and said it's absolutely fine, everyone is chatty and welcoming. You'll be grand! :)

It may be focusing on something you're insecure about, but every other person there is unhappy with their weight too, so they all feel the same way!

I went with my sisters, but my sister went on her own first (I wasn't planning to join) and said it's absolutely fine, everyone is chatty and welcoming. You'll be grand! :)

It may be focusing on something you're insecure about, but every other person there is unhappy with their weight too, so they all feel the same way!

I suppose you're right. All in the same boat.

I suppose you're right. All in the same boat.

Also if you don't want to talk in the group meetings, just tell your consultant and he/she won't ask you anything x Best of luck, I was very shy at the start but as I lost weight, my confidence began to grow and now I find it much easier.

I am looking at options at places in Dublin to buy meat as I am finding it hard to buy it after work and looking for some good deals. Maybe online or in shops in the city centre?

Vahevala wrote: »
    Also if you don't want to talk in the group meetings, just tell your consultant and he/she won't ask you anything x Best of luck, I was very shy at the start but as I lost weight, my confidence began to grow and now I find it much easier.

I am looking at options at places in Dublin to buy meat as I am finding it hard to buy it after work and looking for some good deals. Maybe online or in shops in the city centre?

Just back and I've about 2.5 stone to lose so not as bad as I thought. :)
    Everyone seems nice enough and looking forward to watching pounds fall off.
    At the meeting someone was talking about a butchers on the north side that does amazing curry for low syns and there sausages have been slimming world approved at .5 or 1 syn.
    I didn't get the name as I'm not on Facebook.
    They do free delivery on orders over €20. Maybe someone on fb page would know more.
    If not I can find out next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Just back and I've about 2.5 stone to lose so not as bad as I thought. :)
    Everyone seems nice enough and looking forward to watching pounds fall off.
    At the meeting someone was talking about a butchers on the north side that does amazing curry for low syns and there sausages have been slimming world approved at .5 or 1 syn.
    I didn't get the name as I'm not on Facebook.
    They do free delivery on orders over €20. Maybe someone on fb page would know more.
    If not I can find out next week?

That's http://slimvalleyfreshfoods.com ;)

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »

That's the one :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement