Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Can anyone help me? It says online that a Nestle fun size milky way is 3.5 syns However, when I put the values in for the Lidl Mister Choc Milky Way, it's coming up as 1 syn ???

The dietary information says per 100g - 450Kcal / 17g fat / 9.9 which saturates / 70 carbs of which 63g sugars / 3.6 of protein and then 0.47 salt.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,185 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

What's the portion size?

Apologies. 17g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

highly1111 wrote: »
    Can anyone help me? It says online that a Nestle fun size milky way is 3.5 syns However, when I put the values in for the Lidl Mister Choc Milky Way, it's coming up as 1 syn ???

The dietary information says per 100g - 450Kcal / 17g fat / 9.9 which saturates / 70 carbs of which 63g sugars / 3.6 of protein and then 0.47 salt.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

That seems far too low, I'd use the Milky Way values for now.

Edit: 4 syns according to the app

Re. Strawberries; I only really enjoy them in season, I think they're generally past their best at this time of year unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sarah37

Hi everyone, i hope you dont mind me posting here. I joined slimming world last night and im a bit overwhelmed by it all. Dinners i think i can manage but lunches im very unsure about. 5-15 syns sounds like a lot but today i had 22! Any tips would be welcome and suggestions for alernatives for breakfast and lunches in work.

• Advertisement

I'm doing my first week too. First day I'd beans on toast (no butter) and fruit, then left over SW Bolognese and today homemade broccoli soup (no syns in any of them). I think the key for me will be planning and preparation - I'm hoping within the month I'll find a rhythm and it'll become less "work"!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

3.5 off tonight so that makes up for the 2 I had on last week! 1.5lb to go and I'll have my 3 stone award, got the new Magazine so looking forward to sitting down with a cuppa and reading through that tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

sarah37 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, i hope you dont mind me posting here. I joined slimming world last night and im a bit overwhelmed by it all. Dinners i think i can manage but lunches im very unsure about. 5-15 syns sounds like a lot but today i had 22! Any tips would be welcome and suggestions for alernatives for breakfast and lunches in work.

Hi Sarah! Welcome to Slimming World ;)
    My work lunch is almost always a smoked salmon and/or crayfish salad. I chop celery, carrots and red pepper into a big lunchbox, top with lots of rocket and lamb's lettuce. In a smaller box I put some strips of smoked salmon and/or some crayfish and a big wedge of lemon. Fire it all together when you're ready to eat. Yum. Alternative dressing, a big spoon of fat free Greek yogurt mixed with the juice of 1/4 of a lemon and some fresh herbs (basil or dill work well) - this works best if you mix it directly before eating.
    Re syns, try to get in to the habit of keeping a tot of how many syns you've used (notepad on your phone is handy for this, or I often just write the number on my hand and update as needed!) so you can avoid exceeding. It's a good idea to decide not to eat something until you know how many syns it contains: check first, eat later. I like to make sure 99% of my meals are 'free' and save my syns for treats. Makes it much easier to keep them in check.
    Overnight oats are a popular breakfast on Slimming World, handy if you're stuck for time in the morning too. I usually have either that or All Bran with low fat milk and fruit. Lots of people in my group have the SW cooked breakfast every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

Down 2.5lbs tonight, delighted as I was away for a 4 day break and had dinner out with friends before I went away. I got slimmer of the week. 18 lbs down in 8 weeks. 2st 4 1/2 lbs in total.

To stop soft fruits going off dip them in 10 parts water with 1 part vinegar for a few mins. This kills the mould spores and the fruit lasts much longer. It doesn't taste of vinegar either.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

dee_mc wrote: »
    I'm loving all the fruit and veg since ive been doing SW buy why is it so hard to get nice strawberries in the supermarket!? Eating some here, Keelings brand (so not cheap and not imported), they are so crap!! Watery and chewy and quite tasteless :(
    I'm going to have to start buying them from the guys on the side of the road -I'll have to remortgage the cat :(

I personally only buy strawberries that are in the salmonella corner fridge. Got two family packs of Keelings Strawberries in there the other day that were meant to be €4.50 each, got them for like 62c each or something. They are pretty good and it takes the sting out of getting a few bad ones in the pack when you aren't paying stupid amounts of money for them. Berries are so expensive. Keep an eye out when you go in to your local Tesco, I get loads of fresh fruit that is usually expensive, like those prepared fruit cups for super cheap when I go in.

Anyways down 3lbs this week, making it 6lbs total in two weeks, really happy cause this week was a star week too.

• Advertisement

dcfc91 wrote: »
    I personally only buy strawberries that are in the salmonella corner fridge. Got two family packs of Keelings Strawberries in there the other day that were meant to be €4.50 each, got them for like 62c each or something. They are pretty good and it takes the sting out of getting a few bad ones in the pack when you aren't paying stupid amounts of money for them. Berries are so expensive. Keep an eye out when you go in to your local Tesco, I get loads of fresh fruit that is usually expensive, like those prepared fruit cups for super cheap when I go in.

Anyways down 3lbs this week, making it 6lbs total in two weeks, really happy cause this week was a star week too.

Thanks for the tip! I usually get my berries in Tesco and pick up quite a lot of the 'iffy' fruit and veg at vastly reduced prices, it's great! Gave Tesco a miss this week as I was tired and Dunnes was easier, hence the crap strawberries - it annoys me that Keelings don't state the variety on their packs (or if they do I can't find it) but these guys must have been Elsanta or similar... the type I try to avoid.
    Well done on the loss :)

I was heading West last Saturday and picked up 5lbs of strawberries for €8.75 in the Apple Farm outside Clonmel, they were classed as strawberries for jam ie not the perfect strawberries but 95% of them were fine and tasted delicous. I picked up another 5lbs on my return trip on Tuesday and have loads of them in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

Thanks for the tip! I usually get my berries in Tesco and pick up quite a lot of the 'iffy' fruit and veg at vastly reduced prices, it's great! Gave Tesco a miss this week as I was tired and Dunnes was easier, hence the crap strawberries - it annoys me that Keelings don't state the variety on their packs (or if they do I can't find it) but these guys must have been Elsanta or similar... the type I try to avoid.
    Well done on the loss :)

I have to say I find Keelings crap, have gotten some Tesco own brand strawberries in the salmonella fridge before and not only were they much nicer, they also lasted about 2 weeks after their supposed sell by date. The Keelings ones I got the other day are pretty crap tastewise in comparison and I'll have to finish them tomorrow or else they will be going in the bin.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I weighed in last night and I lost 2.5 lbs so that takes me to my 5 stone award (well I have lost with SW 5 Stone 1 lb to be precise!) and 1 lb away from having lost 7 stone in total! :D

I am so delighted. I am now 11 lbs away from the target I set. Who knows if I will leave the target there or will alter it. I am close to fitting into a size 12 top (I started as size 24 top) and I am still size 14 trousers (I started as size 26)

I was trying to consider if I wanted my final size to be size 10 or 12... decisions decisions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

sarah37 wrote: »

Welcome Sarah.
    During the week
    I have toast, spread with some honey (2.5 syns per tblsp) and a banana sliced on that. I use the Aldi GF brown roll as my bread. I'd often have an apple, some grapes and/or a yoghurt with that.
    At 11 I have some fruit and yoghurt - apples, oranges, pears, nectarines, grapes etc and a yoghurt. I usually have syn-free yoghurts, but sometimes have ones that 1/2 to 1 syn - if the yoghurt is nice I consider that good value.
    My lunch is usually leftovers from dinner the previous night. This particular week has been bad for leftovers so I picked up a salad bowl in Aldi and added an egg and a tin of tuna - incredibly filling.
    Dinner. I have different things. Tonight will be SW chips and syn-free burger and I'll have some onions with that and see what other veg I can add. Last night was chicken and pasta - lots of peppers and onions and passata and herbs. Night before was SW chips and a mince dish - mince, passata, herbs, onions and peppers. Night before was same meat dish but with pasta. Monday night was steak and baked potato and onions. We'd also have chilli on a fairly regular basis and I try to have fish some night in a week.
    I tend to use my syns on my morning honey, maybe a nicer yoghurt and some ice-cream later in the evening. I don't use all my syns every day but I do use some every day. They don't have to be for treats, sometimes we'd had some chorizo in a pasta dish. I know when OH cooks steak he uses some oil so I know I have syns for that.
    At the weekend I tend to have something cooked for my breakfast. Sometimes I'll use a few syns to have sausage. I'll always have eggs - love eggs! And usually baked beans. I might or might not have toast with that. I'm definitely not as good for snacking on fruit at the weekend! Saturday night dinner is nearly always steak and a baked potato and I'd have a glass or two of wine with that a lot of Saturdays. My tip on wine is find a small glass! Sunday evening dinner is whatever is in the fridge and will be fast.
    I drink a lot of water every day. I've probably had 2-3 pints already this morning and will sip away for rest of day. I have discovered I can drink it easily by topping a glass with hot water.
    The key to it is preparation and having food in the house. Try to have things like tuna, beans etc in your press for those days when you just don't have a lunch. I always have frozen peppers and onions in the freezer and we always have loads of passata in the press - at a push that'll make a fast dinner with some herbs added. When you cook something it's as easy to make extra and either freeze it or have it for lunch the next day or dinner the next day.
    The hardest thing to get your head around is the amount you can eat and what it is you're eating so much of - we all have pasta, rice and potatoes in our head as being bad! Effectively I have 2 dinners every day and sometimes I'll have a 3rd as I go home starving and throw on some SW chips to keep me going.
    Best of luck with it!

Actually just thought about it, I think I actually lost 3 lbs, as I was 11 stone 0lb last week, this week, I am 10 stone 11... they told me 2.5 lbs but it has to be 3 lbs!! :eek:

I have text the consultant about it last night, no reply yet, will contact her again later!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Vahevala wrote: »
    I weighed in last night and I lost 2.5 lbs so that takes me to my 5 stone award (well I have lost with SW 5 Stone 1 lb to be precise!) and 1 lb away from having lost 7 stone in total! :D

I am so delighted. I am now 11 lbs away from the target I set. Who knows if I will leave the target there or will alter it. I am close to fitting into a size 12 top (I started as size 24 top) and I am still size 14 trousers (I started as size 26)

I was trying to consider if I wanted my final size to be size 10 or 12... decisions decisions :D

I have been wondering since you posted yesterday before your weigh in how it went WELL DONE. That's as a result of work and is well deserved

Well done on your hard work, your posts give such inspiration for those of us who have a lot to lose.

deisemum wrote: »
    Well done on your hard work, your posts give such inspiration for those of us who have a lot to lose.

Thank you so much, I am glad I can help, this plan really does work and as long as you chip away each week, it all adds up! :)
    I have been wondering since you posted yesterday before your weigh in how it went WELL DONE. That's as a result of work and is well deserved

Thank you so much!

Turns out the person weighing me put the wrong figure in the book so I did indeed lose 2 &1/2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Haven't posted in a little while, I wa getting frustrated as I just wasn't getting anywhere - I was staying the same or going up and down by half a lb.

To be honest I think I was coding myself as I was having a few biscuits and jellies which is fine but I suppose if you do it everyday then you won't loose, I was also eating the same most days so was kinda stuck in a rut.

I've lost 3 stone 8lbs since the start of the year which I'm delighted with. I feel this week I have really got my groove back, out walking, drinking LOADS of water and try to vary my food along with less spuds (I was eating too much) and having a few SP days. I'm really hoping for a good loss next week, and I think I will. Next target is to try and hit the 4 stone mark by the bank holl so certainly going to try my best.

• Advertisement

I've just used my entire syns allowance for today on 2 sausage blaas but they were worth it. I haven't had one in a long time and I've got visitors with me this week and they wanted to try the blaas.

I cannot even go for a walk as I punctured a varicose vein last night and there was blood everywhere and I thought I'd need A&E to stop it at one stage, the kitchen was like a murder scene so all the more reason to stick to the diet and get as much weight off before I have surgery.

Today, I finished the couch to 5k program :D I am delighted with myself and not only that, I now fit into size 12 tops... I still have some way to go though, my thighs & upper arms are not the best :( I really need to work on my upper arms, I hate them and wish I could wear short sleeve tops from Penneys but feel so self conscious about them :(

But still size 12 :D:D

Today, I finished the couch to 5k program :D I am delighted with myself and not only that, I now fit into size 12 tops... I still have some way to go though, my thighs & upper arms are not the best :( I really need to work on my upper arms, I hate them and wish I could wear short sleeve tops from Penneys but feel so self conscious about them :(

But still size 12 :D:D

Right there with ya Vahevala, my arms are so wobbly it's not even funny! I have been known to flick the baggy skin and muse on how, up to 10 months ago, it was full of fat :D
    But I just go ahead and wear the sleeveless stuff, because the way I see it is, nobody is perfect - everyone has at least one thing about their body that they hate .... that nobody else would even notice!
    I'm doing a lot of yoga-style stretching in the hope that when I start proper exercise I won't just snap in half :eek:

Right there with ya Vahevala, my arms are so wobbly it's not even funny! I have been known to flick the baggy skin and muse on how, up to 10 months ago, it was full of fat :D
    But I just go ahead and wear the sleeveless stuff, because the way I see it is, nobody is perfect - everyone has at least one thing about their body that they hate .... that nobody else would even notice!
    I'm doing a lot of yoga-style stretching in the hope that when I start proper exercise I won't just snap in half :eek:

Fair play to you lol

Tomorrow I will go to the local park and instead of running, I plan to try out the free exercise machines that they have there and see if it makes a difference :eek:

The bingo wings in the upper arms seriously make me want to vomit!! I tend to wear tops from M&S that come down to just above my elbow as I am too self conscious to see all the fat lol

I do plan to keep the running up to 3 times a week for 30 mins or so. It has made a big difference to my body shape.

Fair play to you lol

Tomorrow I will go to the local park and instead of running, I plan to try out the free exercise machines that they have there and see if it makes a difference :eek:

The bingo wings in the upper arms seriously make me want to vomit!! I tend to wear tops from M&S that come down to just above my elbow as I am too self conscious to see all the fat lol

I do plan to keep the running up to 3 times a week for 30 mins or so. It has made a big difference to my body shape.

You're doing so so well with the exercise. I'm definitely at the baby steps stage!
    Cardigans are my friend, kimonos are great, and have you tried those Canopi sleeve things you can get in Brown Thomas and Pamela Scott? They've a cheapie version of them in Dunnes too, basically they are sheer sleeves that attach to your bra, to make sleeveless tops look like sleeve-ed tops...

You're doing so so well with the exercise. I'm definitely at the baby steps stage!
    Cardigans are my friend, kimonos are great, and have you tried those Canopi sleeve things you can get in Brown Thomas and Pamela Scott? They've a cheapie version of them in Dunnes too, basically they are sheer sleeves that attach to your bra, to make sleeveless tops look like sleeve-ed tops...

Sleeveless... no chance :eek::D

Rome wasn't built in a day so I will persevere with things lol :D I don't mind wearing the M&S tops and am actually looking forward to buying the size 12 tops when I get paid :D

I told my Mum that I was now size 12 and she said don't go any lower lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Are you doing weight training vahevala?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Are you doing weight training vahevala?

No I am not, I did buy 3KG weights ages ago but find it hard enough lifting them lol.

For those of you who have lost a lot of weight do you have much loose skin. I'll be 51 this month so skin isn't as elastic as a younger person so I've visions of losing a lot of weight and my excess stomach skin hanging down to my mid thighs and my arse warming the back of my knees plus the old bat wings swinging out for Ireland.

• Advertisement

deisemum wrote: »
    For those of you who have lost a lot of weight do you have much loose skin. I'll be 51 this month so skin isn't as elastic as a younger person so I've visions of losing a lot of weight and my excess stomach skin hanging down to my mid thighs and my arse warming the back of my knees plus the old bat wings swinging out for Ireland.

Deisemum, you have a wonderful turn of phrase!
    I have a bit of wobbly/loose skin and a little remaining stubborn fat around my stomach, I think a 'pouch' would be a good description (I heard an American lady describing hers as a 'fannypack of skin' the other day which I thought was gross, apt and hilarious!), I'd say it's similar enough to what many ladies are left with after a couple of pregnancies.
    I have the dreaded bingo wings too, but they've improved a bit in recent weeks for some reason.
    I don't think any amount of exercise will shift it completely but I believe BioOil helps with the texture etc. If I ever win the lotto I'll get nipped and tucked to within an inch of my life :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement