Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cassiej

im with slimming word nearly 3yrs & iv kept my my weight off iv lost 5st u have 2 keep working on it ,its a life time change its the best plan out there i dont say diet because diets never work:):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bornfree1980

Hi All... new 2 boards & slimming world...iv tried ww myself and it worked 4 a while..then stopped counting & started eating & gained nearly all the lbs back...Today i am joining Slimmers World...have no idea what 2 expect..fed up with my weight & hiding from the reality that im getting bigger each year.. like a b-day gift but not a nice 1..im the person who wants 2 lose it all in 1 week & never has the patience to stick to programs..this i hope will be different.. any tips for some1 who is an impatient slimmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Hi All... new 2 boards & slimming world...iv tried ww myself and it worked 4 a while..then stopped counting & started eating & gained nearly all the lbs back...Today i am joining Slimmers World...have no idea what 2 expect..fed up with my weight & hiding from the reality that im getting bigger each year.. like a b-day gift but not a nice 1..im the person who wants 2 lose it all in 1 week & never has the patience to stick to programs..this i hope will be different.. any tips for some1 who is an impatient slimmer?

I know I was the same, an impatient slimmer but for it stay off and you to train yourslef to eat using the Slimming World method, then time is needed. I was the same...browned off, and buying clothes that fitted me as oppose to picking up ones that I liked (Still not there yet, but working on it). There seems to be less weighing of food etc with SW - the key is eating foods that help you lose weight more so than those that don't. So if you wanna steak for your dinner - have it but also have a third of your plate filled with salad or veg. You count your syns - and you should have from 5 to 15 of these a day. So for example, bars or biscuits that you can count in your press for the cuppa and you are still having treat.

I won't bombard you with stuff but I did post in this thread an outline of what a meeting is like - Post. Go to your meeting and pop back here to us with anything that you wanna chat about relating to SW. We are all in the same boat

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bornfree1980

Thanks a million robo... deligthed & refreshed to try a new programe where by a requirement is not an A+ in maths to figure it out... i am hoping to banish my embarrassment and guilt hop off this rollercoaster im on and enjoy a new beginning that will last for life... will chat 2moro :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

Having read the post that you want the weight gone in a week sounds like people I know. You have to remember that you did not gain the weight you want to lose in a week so you need to think this is the 1st day of the rest of my life. You have a choice to keep doing what your doing which is making you unhappy or you can say I want to make the changes to make my life better.
    I want to lose weight for my health, to look better and to the get clothes I want not the clothes that fit me.
    I joined Sw in Feb this year and I have lost over 2 and half stone. I had a few weeks that I went up slightly. I went back to class the following week and any gain was gone the following week.
    Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Hey guys, reading all your stories and feeling inspired. I might go back to class, leaving class was on of the silliest decisions I made.

I agree with the putting on weight thing, it takes more than a week to put it on so it'll take more than a week to get rid of it!

Must keep that mantra in my head! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 cupcake123

Hi guys havnt been over in ages ,Im stilll in Sw ,loving it soooo much .....Joined 1st FEb and today im 1lb off my 3stone award ....Its going great ....Im cooking up a storm ,eating amazing food ,never hungry ,walking 3-5 times a week feeling fitter and healthier ....Ive gone from a size 22 in tops to an 18 already ...the compliments are flying as people are really noticing my loss now...So for anyone wondering does Sw Work or is it any good and are wondering about joining ...I say find ur nearest class ,stop thinkin bout it and join ....It will be the best decision you will ever make ...I cant rave about it enopugh ....Top tip STAY TO CLASS ....Some find it long and boring but you will pick up lots of info on syns and receipes ,and the class support is amazing as is the private facebook page ....EVeryone seems to be doing so well ...Good luck on ur weight loss journeys ....Will try get into habit of posting regular again it was great to read all the 10 pages ive missed out on lol.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Hi All,

Ages since I have updated. I joined SW back in March this year and as of Wednesday I am down 3st .5lb so delighted. Finding the plan fantastic. Simple and easy to follow.

Still picking 5 things to cook for dinner each week and making sure I have all the stuff in the house, allowing myself a Chinese take away on a friday or Saturday evening and a lunch out. Cooking really fab and tasty food. I suppose it helped that I always liked cooking but now I make sure that it is mostly free food I use.

I use extra syns on lattes quite a bit and thats ok. Went out on 2 big nights out last week and used a bit of cop on. Picked carefully what I ate and drank vodka and slimline and used flixi syns and I was down 4lb this week. Was a bit surprised but totally delighted.

People are starting to really notice the loss now and I am planning a big shopping trip for September!!

Hey carolinespring thats fantastic loss ,Well done ......Its great when ya have had a night out and ur still down on weigh in day ....I've got rid of all my clothes so will have to do a big shop for winter ...cant wait .....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

Hi All,

Ages since I have updated. I joined SW back in March this year and as of Wednesday I am down 3st .5lb so delighted. Finding the plan fantastic. Simple and easy to follow.

Still picking 5 things to cook for dinner each week and making sure I have all the stuff in the house, allowing myself a Chinese take away on a friday or Saturday evening and a lunch out. Cooking really fab and tasty food. I suppose it helped that I always liked cooking but now I make sure that it is mostly free food I use.

I use extra syns on lattes quite a bit and thats ok. Went out on 2 big nights out last week and used a bit of cop on. Picked carefully what I ate and drank vodka and slimline and used flixi syns and I was down 4lb this week. Was a bit surprised but totally delighted.

People are starting to really notice the loss now and I am planning a big shopping trip for September!!

Wow - that's great - well done you! I'm really glad to hear you lost weight despite the vodka - I had 5 vodka and slimline last night and was beating myself up about it today. Although I resisted all temptation for nibbles and had fruit, tomato, mushrooms and bacon for brekkie - which is so much better than I'd usually do after a night on the drink. I also did an early morning aqua class on Thurs - so hoping for a loss still.
    I'm more than 1.5 stone down in less than 6 weeks :D .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭magztar

Hi All,

Fair play to ya,Keep up all the work! Rejoining now again and sticking to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I had a text today from my SW consultant. She says Dunnes are now doing slender choice meals which consist of free and superfree food and are a max of 3 syns. Also that slender free sausages are syn free. And that mugshots, which are also syn free are now in the 2 euro shop.

There are some really inspiring stories here, well done ladies. I have been struggling with this for the last couple of months but things are finally starting to settle down so fingers crossed I will get back on track!!

So Happy Got my 3 stone award tonight...:DId like to taste the slender choice sausages but can never seem to find them ...Shall check Dunnes this week...thanks ..

WI this night and up 2lb, pretty fed up over it but only myself to blame. I forgot to pick up some of the trackers at the meeting last week so didn't record what I ate..... Really mad with myself, I was delighted to have hit the 3st mark last week and now to be back in the 2st's is such a killer.

Going to go all out this week to get rid of the 2lb, have a big girls night out on Tuesday which won't help the cause...

Hope everyone else is doing well/

I have now lost 3 stone 1 lb after losing 4 1/2 pounds this week since Feb 2012.
    Last week I lost 1/2 but I think I was eating to little.
    I would say to any other slimming world member that you need to keep eating enough food and to use at least 5 syn or more each day.
    Also keep trying different recipes and food as variety is important.
    Drink plenty of water and eat fruit. I find oranges good.
    I think that more people are hearing about Slimming World as they have notice family and friend losing weight.
    Good Luck to all.

After the 2lb gain last week I was down 3.5lb this week and trilled, so total of 3st 2lb since 14th March.

I was sure I was in for another gain this week as I was at a hen party, 40th birthday party and out for dinner a coupel of time, now I did pick week but was over syns on 2 of the nights by 3 or 4 and used flexi syns another night. So it works!!!

Made this SW dish for lunch today and it was yum.

Chicken yuk sung.

I did add lots of presh chilli as well.

information

Serves: 4
    Prep time:
    Cook time:
    Syns per serving:
    bullet-amazing-support.gif0.5bullet-root.gif0.5bullet-healthy-eating.gif7.5

ingredients

8 little gem lettuce leaves
    Low-calorie cooking spray
    2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    3cm fresh ginger, peeled and sliced very finely
    2 spring onions, finely sliced
    500g skinless chicken breast fillets, minced
    220g can water chestnuts, chopped into small pieces
    1 celery stick, finely chopped
    1 tbsp dark soy sauce
    1 tbsp oyster sauce

method

1. Wash the lettuce, dry (being careful not to tear the leaves) and separate leaves keeping them whole. Pat dry and put to one side.
    2. Heat a non-stick frying pan on high and spray with low-calorie cooking spray. Add the garlic, ginger and spring onions. Fry until the garlic and ginger are aromatic.
    3. Add the minced chicken and cook until the chicken is browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
    4. Add the water chestnuts and celery to the frying pan and cook over a medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until slightly browned. Add the soy sauce and oyster sauce to the pan and stir.
    5. Put the chicken mixture back in the pan and continue to cook at medium heat until the sauce is reduced and the mixture becomes dry.
    6. Lay out a lettuce leaf and spoon the cooked mixture into the middle and fold into a wrap, and eat immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LoopieLou

Hey,
    I have being weighing up (excuse the pun) between joining Weight Watchers and Slimming World. Has anyone experience of both / either?? I have about 2 stone to loose and I am determined I was to loose it by Christmas. I think if I get my ass in gear it may happen?????
    HELP

I have been in WW and Slimming World.
    I find Slimming World far better. You not weighting, measuring and working out how many points you have eaten or have left to eat.
    With slimming world you can eat good food and use some syns each for a treat ie takeaway.
    I have told a lot of people about Slimming World.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

Is there a deal on at the moment for new members? I would the double whammy of registration and fee on the first week difficult. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

There is always deals on every few weeks! So even if there isn't one now if you keep your eye out in the papers or certain magazines they have the deals on.

Just checked--> Buy the Bella magazine on the 24th July (Tuesday) and there is the free membership fee covered. It's valid from the 24th July until 7th August. So you won't have to pay the membership fee only the weekly fee :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

Great thanks Toni! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭magztar

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    There is always deals on every few weeks! So even if there isn't one now if you keep your eye out in the papers or certain magazines they have the deals on.

Just checked--> Buy the Bella magazine on the 24th July (Tuesday) and there is the free membership fee covered. It's valid from the 24th July until 7th August. So you won't have to pay the membership fee only the weekly fee :)

great must keep an eye out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

Hazel2011 wrote: »
    I would love love love to be a member of SW only I would have to drive aprox 50 miles to get to the nearest meeting.

I could join it online but I need some one to Monitor me as I cant seem to do it on my own .:(

Hi Hazel2011... I was like that myself.. Joined SW in Drumcondra, but working late on Thursdays made me miss more classes than I attended. I have joined Slimmingworld online 3 weeks ago (lost 5Ibs so far) - just sitting here after cooking the homemade burgers with relish and SW chips - stuffed and feel great. Just bought a bike today for cycling into work...(and a rain jacket aswell:rolleyes:)

I weigh myself in the chemist beside me in work which for a €1 lets you get a print out...

I stayed the same last week because I was disorganised, so I have bought a load of meats and am going to cook up my dinners for the week tomorrow and freeze them.

The online site is brilliant, lets you upload photos of your progress, kep daily food journals, has receipes etc.,

Anyway onwards and upwards

LoopieLou wrote: »
    Hey,
    I have being weighing up (excuse the pun) between joining Weight Watchers and Slimming World. Has anyone experience of both / either?? I have about 2 stone to loose and I am determined I was to loose it by Christmas. I think if I get my ass in gear it may happen?????
    HELP

I was in Slimming World and have no real problem with them, didn't like the fact that they were constantly selling their "weightwatchers branded items"

After cooking some of the stuff in slimming world it is way better, nautural ingredients, and some brill reciepes, non of that processed ready meal crapology

test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Hazel2011

Ok I have to tell ye what I did.
    I happened to put up a post here saying that the nearest SW meeting was in Galway n that was too far for me to drive every week from Ennis and that to join online would not give me the kick in the a** that I need .
    I happened to be visiting Family about 2 hours away from Home and met a friend I had not seen in some time. Boys oh boys she was in fab form n looking great. It ends up she has lost a Mega 4 stone all thanks to her hard work and the support of SW.
    That was it , my mind was made up....I wanted to look and feel as good about myself as my pal had...I HAD TO FIND A SW MEETING SOMEWHERE. I found one and was there for 2 full hours , yes I had to do a New Members meeting and then stay for the weekly meeting.
    I loved it.The support there is something I have never seen before in any other Weight loss prog. I even got a text mid week from the leader asking how I was doing and if I had any questions.....So YES I am so glad I am a MEMBER and YES I have decided I will now drive to the Galway meetings weekly as I feel it is worth it and so am I . I want to lose the weight and I want to do this for myself, also making Friends from this would be an extra Yahoo !!! Its my First week and I have lots to learn . All tips and hints welcome. Thanks for reading .

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dair

Ok so i know this may sound like a silly question but on the reciepe below what do the different coloured syns mean?

I just joined yesterday and im still trying to figure it all out, any suggestions for lunch at work would also be great i usually grab a sandwich, i havent cooked too much lately so any advice on how to get started and keep going with the diet???
    After the 2lb gain last week I was down 3.5lb this week and trilled, so total of 3st 2lb since 14th March.

I was sure I was in for another gain this week as I was at a hen party, 40th birthday party and out for dinner a coupel of time, now I did pick week but was over syns on 2 of the nights by 3 or 4 and used flexi syns another night. So it works!!!

Made this SW dish for lunch today and it was yum.

Chicken yuk sung.

I did add lots of presh chilli as well.

information

Serves: 4
    Prep time:
    Cook time:
    Syns per serving:
    bullet-amazing-support.gif0.5bullet-root.gif0.5bullet-healthy-eating.gif7.5

ingredients

8 little gem lettuce leaves
    Low-calorie cooking spray
    2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    3cm fresh ginger, peeled and sliced very finely
    2 spring onions, finely sliced
    500g skinless chicken breast fillets, minced
    220g can water chestnuts, chopped into small pieces
    1 celery stick, finely chopped
    1 tbsp dark soy sauce
    1 tbsp oyster sauce

method

1. Wash the lettuce, dry (being careful not to tear the leaves) and separate leaves keeping them whole. Pat dry and put to one side.
    2. Heat a non-stick frying pan on high and spray with low-calorie cooking spray. Add the garlic, ginger and spring onions. Fry until the garlic and ginger are aromatic.
    3. Add the minced chicken and cook until the chicken is browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
    4. Add the water chestnuts and celery to the frying pan and cook over a medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until slightly browned. Add the soy sauce and oyster sauce to the pan and stir.
    5. Put the chicken mixture back in the pan and continue to cook at medium heat until the sauce is reduced and the mixture becomes dry.
    6. Lay out a lettuce leaf and spoon the cooked mixture into the middle and fold into a wrap, and eat immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

Orange is Extra Easy, where you can mix all free foods, with one healthy extra a, and 1 healthy extra b. Red is pretty much meat only, with 2 healthy extra b's (which includes potatoes/carbs), and green is pretty much meat free, with 2 healthy extra b's. (which includes meat)

for lunch I have baked potatoes, beans, salads, leftover dinners from night before, pasta with no sauce, mugshots, pastan sauces etc. i don't eat bread at all anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dair

Thanks, I really appreciate it, getting my head around it now but htink i may struggle slightly with the Saturday night drinks!!! :)

I guess it just calls for a little bit of organisation to make sure the right foods are always there. i think ive already eaten more fruit today than all last week:)
    Catxscotch wrote: »
    Orange is Extra Easy, where you can mix all free foods, with one healthy extra a, and 1 healthy extra b. Red is pretty much meat only, with 2 healthy extra b's (which includes potatoes/carbs), and green is pretty much meat free, with 2 healthy extra b's. (which includes meat)

for lunch I have baked potatoes, beans, salads, leftover dinners from night before, pasta with no sauce, mugshots, pastan sauces etc. i don't eat bread at all anymore

• Advertisement

Had my WI on Wednesday after missing the week before as we went to both Springsteen concerts (brill) and as I ate and drank so much I was sure I was in a fairly big gain. We got home on Thurday evening after hitting Eddie Rockets on the way and out for a dinner party on Friday night and out again on Saturday. My poor liver........

My clothes felt a lot tighter on me on the Saturday and my belly looked realy bloated. I started again on Sunday , and I was very saintly all week.

So WI.. Down a whopping 4lb, which takes me to a massive 3st 6.5lb total loss since the 14th March.

Delighted!!! Really want to get down at least a half pund this week to get my 3.5st cert. Should be very do-able.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement