Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

I didn't stay to group this week had an appointment but my consultant sent me a message tonight, I was slimmer of the week again this week! Delighted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

What exactly is the difference between WW and Slimming World? This is the first time I've heard of Slimming World :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Think they may have changed/revamped weight watchers these days compared to when my Mum was at it good few years ago. But from what I remember everything you eat has points even fruit and veg so you have to constantly be counting your points and only allowed 20 or 30 points. Someone can correct me on that if things have changed?

Slimming World is alot more flexible in my view and you can eat all the fruit and veg you want as well as things like pasta,spuds and lean meat. As long as you get your Superfree foods in at the same time.

If there are classes near you then pop along to one, the consultant always talks to new folks at the start of the class while the regulars are getting weighed. Have to rush out now but if you want more info I can PM ya later!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Think they may have changed/revamped weight watchers these days compared to when my Mum was at it good few years ago. But from what I remember everything you eat has points even fruit and veg so you have to constantly be counting your points and only allowed 20 or 30 points. Someone can correct me on that if things have changed?

Slimming World is alot more flexible in my view and you can eat all the fruit and veg you want as well as things like pasta,spuds and lean meat. As long as you get your Superfree foods in at the same time.

If there are classes near you then pop along to one, the consultant always talks to new folks at the start of the class while the regulars are getting weighed. Have to rush out now but if you want more info I can PM ya later!

There is the new Pro Points plan now which lets you eat fruit and most veg (peas, sweetcorn, potatoes etc need to be pointed) without counting the points for it. It also calculates the pro points based on the carbohydrate, fat, protein and fibre content of the food rather than the calories and saturated fat. There is also "weekly bonus points" so that you do not need to save your points for a special occasion, therefore making sure you get enough nutrients most days (provided you are eating healthily).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Yeh from what I remember, there was a lot more counting with WW...and you could save points for a night out or that, if you are going to be eating a lot of stuff.
    Also you had to measure your portions of rice, spuds and pasta - which I was useless at. That is one thing I love about SW.

Had one of my exams today and was so nervous, I didn't have a lunch, as my exam was at 3pm, had cereal this morning & an apple. So when I came out at 6pm, I was famished...thought about a chinese, my mum mentioned it on the phone, as I was calling over to her. Then I said NO, put the SW chips on, and I will have 2 fried eggs with that :) And as a treat, I made a chip butty! Still within my syns :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

Robo,Well done on that decision and good luck with the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Layla0509

Delighted first WI and I'm down 4lbs ��

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

Was just on the MiniMins website and they were saying that teh Campbells Pasta and Sauce that they sell in Ireland are the same syns as the Bachelors Pasta and Sauce that they have in the North. These are great for lunchs as they only take 10mins and are very tasty mixed up with some tuna and salad

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭marvilly

Hi all... I'm thinking of starting Slimming World. I did it before online but thinking now Ineed the discipline of the weekly meeting. I did weight watchers before too and am just wondering if you get all the stuff you need at the first meeting of SW or is it like weight watchers where there are different books for each stage you re at? would appreciate some feedback on how the slimming world meetings work if anyone has a few minutes to write back and let me know?:D

marvilly wrote: »
    Hi all... I'm thinking of starting Slimming World. I did it before online but thinking now Ineed the discipline of the weekly meeting. I did weight watchers before too and am just wondering if you get all the stuff you need at the first meeting of SW or is it like weight watchers where there are different books for each stage you re at? would appreciate some feedback on how the slimming world meetings work if anyone has a few minutes to write back and let me know?:D

Marvilly, During your first SW meeting you will get a package which contains everything you need, as well as a half hour class on how the eating plan works. Every week there is a weigh in, with a chace to buy the magazines, SW bars, books magazines etc. I used to go to meetings and found the discipline was what I needed, Ive since struggled since moving from the area with no metings close by.

• Advertisement

Catxscotch wrote: »
    Marvilly, During your first SW meeting you will get a package which contains everything you need, as well as a half hour class on how the eating plan works. Every week there is a weigh in, with a chace to buy the magazines, SW bars, books magazines etc. I used to go to meetings and found the discipline was what I needed, Ive since struggled since moving from the area with no metings close by.

Thanks so much Catxscotch... quick response;)sorry...more questions! how long do the meetings last on top of the half hour class part? :)

Thanks so much Catxscotch... quick response;)sorry...more questions! how long do the meetings last on top of the half hour class part? :)

It depends on how many people are present and if alot of folks have questions. Normally takes about half hour or so to get everyone signed in and weighed. Alot of folks leave straight after being weighed.
    Then our class normally lasts nearly an hour with her going round each person and seeing how they doing and annoucing Slimmer of The Week and giving out the fruit!

You don't have to stay to the very end of each class, you can leave whenever you want as there's no pressure to stay. So if you have other things to do or have to get back to work you are sorted! :)

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    It depends on how many people are present and if alot of folks have questions. Normally takes about half hour or so to get everyone signed in and weighed. Alot of folks leave straight after being weighed.
    Then our class normally lasts nearly an hour with her going round each person and seeing how they doing and annoucing Slimmer of The Week and giving out the fruit!

You don't have to stay to the very end of each class, you can leave whenever you want as there's no pressure to stay. So if you have other things to do or have to get back to work you are sorted! :)

Thanks Tonituddle..good to know! It sounds good.. not sure if I'd be too confident with them asking me how Im doing in front of the whole group though:o depends on how it goes though, I guess! :oHow do you find sw for eating out? is it fairly okay to account for or is it a no-no?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

Hello Marville
    I am currently in Slimming World and I have lost over 2 stone to date.
    I do eat out some times. If you follow the slimming world plan you can eat a normal dinner out from your free foods. In slimming world you also have a number of syns to eat each day so you have have a take away if use some of your daily syns.
    I found that I am eating more food, better food and feel far better since I started in Slimming World.
    People are now asking me have I lost weight & I am now fitting into clothes I have not worn for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Lost 6lbs Tuesday, my first week back after rejoining, delighted. Another 10lbs to my goal.

Made a SW "half n half" lastnight, it was gorgeous. Just like something from the Chinese :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

michellie wrote: »
    Lost 6lbs Tuesday, my first week back after rejoining, delighted. Another 10lbs to my goal.

Made a SW "half n half" lastnight, it was gorgeous. Just like something from the Chinese :)

Sounds nice, can you post the recipe

Morning all! Can anyone tell me if vanilla or coconut extract or essences have syns? Can't find them in my books or on the lifeline-online site:confused:

I just ate a slice of chocolate cake someone brought into work. Why oh why did I do that?? Grrr

Catxscotch wrote: »
    I just ate a slice of chocolate cake someone brought into work. Why oh why did I do that?? Grrr

I know when I am bad, I then almost kick myslef straight away after it so now I TRY to think first how I felt afterwards before I take that first bite, so hopefully I won't! It is tough, but worth it at WI ;)

You are certainly not alone! But if you do take the bite, take comfort & think how many things before SW you ate without even thinking and really how many syns you consumed a day, compared to how well you are doing now! We are all doing better :p

Morning all! Can anyone tell me if vanilla or coconut extract or essences have syns? Can't find them in my books or on the lifeline-online site:confused:

I don't think there are many syns in the essence, I had a look on Minimins website, have a look at post 7 - someone used it instead of coconut milk and seem to think it is syn free! But maybe others can shed more light on this

They reckon here though that all essence and flavourings are syn free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 im a believer

i really want to know what are the weekly meetings like, are you weighed with other people around? do you keep a food diary? and if so does the leader review this? im nervous as i have never tried anything like this before but i fell like i need some support and guidance.

i really want to know what are the weekly meetings like, are you weighed with other people around? do you keep a food diary? and if so does the leader review this? im nervous as i have never tried anything like this before but i fell like i need some support and guidance.

Well they all seem to follow this way - your first meeting, you sit around a table with a few more new people (every week there are at least 5 new people). just pop into the room and ask ANYONE, or the people at the laptop, and they will tell you where you go for the beginners part. Then you listen to the leader explain how it works. And please don't worry, there is a lot to take in, so take what you can in, and you will get a pack of books that you take away with you to read later. Then once you have your new members meeting with all the new people, older members will be paying (€9) at the table with the laptop and then another member of the social commitee will be weighing you in. Then once your new members meeting is over and all of the older members have been weighed in, the leader will ask you to sit in with the group (you should not pay until you decide at the end of the meeting if you like what you see and hear) and the next part is called Image therapy.
    This can last a while and can be helpful - the leader goes through everyone one by one and reads out their weight loss (and in some cases gains, which there are usually very little of) but NEVER reads out your weight, so she may say "So Robo, you lost 2 lbs, how did you find it, do anything different, wanna share with the group" and you can say as much or as little as you want. Depending on the size of the group, this can take a while. But it really can be beneficial for tips or what people found in the supermarkets with little syns...kind of what we have been talking about on here.

Then when that is finished, there is a draw each week, where you can win a small hamper of Slimming World goodies (bars, magazine, ingrediants for a SW recipe..anything really), tickets for this are €1 and you buy one as you pay for your weekly membership. You don't have to buy one if you don't want. There is also a Slimmer of the week competition and that is picked by the Leader on her palm-pilot with all the weights etc...again no mention of your exact weight. It looks at how often you go and of course how well you are doing with the weight loss. And if you win that, you win a basket of SW friendly food that anyone in the group can contribute to - fruit, whatever. Again no obligation to contribute.

Once that is done, you will have the opportunity to decide to join or not - and the leader herself will do your first weigh in - and talk about goals with you quietly. You don't have to set your goal straight away, come back next week and chat to her about it after having a think. And that is it. You will need to give yourself about 2 hours for your first meeting.

I hope that I haven't scared you away, but honestly if you have traied others like Weight Watchers...I really find this one easier (will power still needed) & more successful for me!

Then after your first week, you just come in each week, pay at the table with the laptop and then get weighed in and then sit and wait for the new group to finish their introduction and then image therapy again!

You can say as little or as much as you feel comfortable saying to the group (remember everyone is in the same boat, some with a little bit more to say at times, but you get that everywhere)

You can do a food diary and you can hand it in - some meetings have a box to put them in or for others, you hand them directly to the leader. Then they usually will talk to you about it the following week.

I think that I have included everything, but go with an open mind and a real feeling that you wanna lose some weight and you will do fine. If I didn't explain anything properly above, please ask me, or if anyone else has anything to add...please do ;)

And just ask us lot, we love to help each other here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

^ that explains it perfectly! However my first weigh in was done by normal weigh in person and not the leader, and I haven't been asked about my goals or anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 4tolose

Hi all,

Joined sw online last friday...won't be able to attend class as have 3 small children, work full time and have a farmer for a husband..just want to know if i will be missing much by not attending image therapy?

Thanks for you help.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 im a believer

robo
    thank you so much, it actually doesn't sound too bad!!!! i know i need some motivation and it sounds like ill get it at slimming world. i really appreciate you taking the time to give me such a great reply. slimming world here i come!!!!

robo
    thank you so much, it actually doesn't sound too bad!!!! i know i need some motivation and it sounds like ill get it at slimming world. i really appreciate you taking the time to give me such a great reply. slimming world here i come!!!!

Take it week by week - you don't have to stay after weigh in, but it can be handy for finding weight loss tips. And come back here and let us know how you find it and if you have any more questions

4tolose wrote: »
    Hi all,

Joined sw online last friday...won't be able to attend class as have 3 small children, work full time and have a farmer for a husband..just want to know if i will be missing much by not attending image therapy?

Thanks for you help.

Sure use us for Image therapy - share with us your thoughts on how you lost or didn't lose and ask us lot for advice, cos if you continue on here, you will certainly see questions from others that you will be able to help with a post ;)

robo wrote: »
    Then when that is finished, there is a draw each week, where you can win a small hamper of Slimming World goodies (bars, magazine, ingrediants for a SW recipe..anything really), tickets for this are €1 and you buy one as you pay for your weekly membership. You don't have to buy one if you don't want. There is also a Slimmer of the week competition and that is picked by the Leader on her palm-pilot with all the weights etc...again no mention of your exact weight. It looks at how often you go and of course how well you are doing with the weight loss. And if you win that, you win a basket of SW friendly food that anyone in the group can contribute to - fruit, whatever. Again no obligation to contribute.

Our leader use to do the raffle thing the odd week but we haven't done it in the last 3 months I'd say! The prize was normally always a wok :D

The slimmer of the week is announced every week. It's basically the person who has lost the most weight that week. Sometimes that may one be a 1lb or 2 :pac: Plus they also do slimmer of the month who is the person who lost the most weight that month.
    4tolose wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks for you help.
    robo wrote: »
    Sure use us for Image therapy - share with us your thoughts on how you lost or didn't lose and ask us lot for advice, cos if you continue on here, you will certainly see questions from others that you will be able to help with a post ;)

What Robo said! Sticking to online can be hard as you do have to have that bit extra will power as it's easy to slack when there's nobody about to meet each week and encourage you (well I find that :o). But yeah pop on here and ask plenty questions. If you have the time at some point maybe go through the previous pages to get a feel for some of it :)

If you are finding it difficult don't throw in the towel! Definitely come online here and someone will be about. Plus if you are on FB add or like Slimming World and you will get more info too plus support from members.

Oh and seeing as you have kids, online there should be alot of ideas for recipes and "treats" which will work out healthier for them esp desserts or tea times ideas. Plus the husband will benefit from it too! :D I've tried alot of the recipes out on my male friends and they all really like it. Some are bit afraid of the idea of eating "lighter" or healthier versions of their favourites but sometimes it's fun to just not tell them and they end up loving it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

Just weighed in after my first week and I'm down 5 lbs. Which is great. I'm delighted. Stayed for meeting but I couldn't do that every week as it gets a bit boring after a while. Might try and stay for 1/2 or else every 2 weeks or something. Very happy though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Am finiding it hard to get back into it this week after being on holiday last week but I am sure I will be back on track soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement